Author Topic: Used Rohde & Schwarz RTB2004 still making a premium?  (Read 1876 times)

Offline ruairiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Used Rohde & Schwarz RTB2004 still making a premium?
« on: November 07, 2018, 08:05:53 am »
Hi all,

Any thoughts on the above? I have an essentially new unit with maxed out options and bandwidth that I bought from tequipment.net.  Literally the day it arrived my work life seemed to kick into over overdrive and it's sat more or less unused along with the rest of my bench.  There have been no recent ebay sales to go by.

Cheers,
Ruairi

Offline KrudyZ

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Used Rohde & Schwarz RTB2004 still making a premium?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 08:49:57 am »
Sell it if you don't use it.
A few years from now it won't even be worth your time selling it. Ask me how I know...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 02:05:45 am »
Thanks Krudy, I would sell if they are still commanding a premium but otherwise I'd just rather hang on to it for when things settle down for me.  It's a phenomenal scope and the interface is a joy to use.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 05:24:34 am »
I think if you bought one of the deal scopes you can at least get double your money back. I've considered it but I don't really need the money so I keep the scope for when I need it. It will still be a good scope when you have more time to use it and it'll have more features too.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 08:01:43 am »
I think if you bought one of the deal scopes you can at least get double your money back. I've considered it but I don't really need the money so I keep the scope for when I need it. It will still be a good scope when you have more time to use it and it'll have more features too.

Thanks Maginnovision,

I guess that's the heart of my question.  If I could indeed double my money I will sell now, my wife and I are just about to adopt our 3rd kid and the next year will be very busy, intense and tight financially.  If I thought I could only get what I paid or a little more I would just keep it. 

For the first year after the launch there were regular eBay sales at around the $4k mark but nothing in the last few months, hence my post.

Offline KrudyZ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 10:03:27 am »
I can only repeat my recommendation to sell it NOW.
Digital oscilloscopes are not investment properties.
Let it depreciate on someone else's bench.
Be happy, that you got it when they offered the deals, so you won't lose money on it.
That is very rare on a new piece of equipment. They offered the deals since the underlying HW is the same for all models and they wanted to grab some market share.
They can do the same again at any time which will decrease the extra value your scope currently has.
If money is tight as you say, don't drive a Mercedes, especially if you aren't even driving it...

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 10:29:25 am »
For the first year after the launch there were regular eBay sales at around the $4k mark but nothing in the last few months, hence my post.

I suspect that it's simply that all the original launch deal scopes have found permanent homes, not that the value has dropped.

Try listing it starting at your miminum price and see what happens.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 05:24:10 pm »

I suspect that it's simply that all the original launch deal scopes have found permanent homes, not that the value has dropped.

I'd agree with this. The people who got a lesser deal buying the scopes others sold don't have nearly as much to gain so are unlikely to sell.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 09:37:23 pm »

I'd try at a little higher than $4k. The list price for the scope is still around $7k (excluding sales tax) so $5k for a brand new one might be doable.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline tequipment

• Regular Contributor
    • TEquipment
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 08:41:49 pm »
hey everyone.  We have a new promo for Rohde and Schwarz for all eevblog members.  You can get 10% off.  We have a special code.  Please PM us for the code.
Thanks
Evan Cirelli

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf