Author Topic: USB-C vertical  (Read 459 times)

Offline PlainNameTopic starter

• Super Contributor
USB-C vertical
« on: Yesterday at 10:06:08 pm »
Thinking about putting a vertical USB-C connector on a board (to not have the cable coming in from the side). Plenty of such connector around, but that's the problem...

Is there some standard, or at least command, style or type? I am thinking that the source may change and it's be nice not to have to redesign everything in that case. Currently I only need power, but I can forsee wanting D+/- too at some point.

Online Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
Re: USB-C vertical
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:01:43 pm »
Standard for what? USB-C is designed to plug in either way round, so there won't be one for orientation. There is a full standard for what each pin of the connector will do.

https://hackaday.com/series_of_posts/all-about-usb-c/  might help

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 11:10:30 pm »
Compare a bunch of vertical connectors, try to find a common design.
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 11:38:01 pm »
Standard for what? USB-C is designed to plug in either way round, so there won't be one for orientation. There is a full standard for what each pin of the connector will do.

PCB footprint

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: Today at 02:36:33 am »
Compare a bunch of vertical connectors, try to find a common design.

That's how I wound up posting my query - far too many of them for that to be simple. If there is a common design but also many non-common then it would be easy to miss the common ones in the noise (and that's assuming the sample actually captures a decent number of the common ones).

PCB footprint

Not fussed enough to go against the flow. I presume SMD with through support holes/slots.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:28:01 am »

PCB footprint

Unfortunately, I doubt that.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: Today at 08:44:20 am »
I have not looked into vertical type-C connectors, but from my experience with other USB connector styles: Choose one from Molex which meets your requirements (positioning pins and/or through-hole mounting present or not). Most likely you will find that various other manufacturers offer compatible versions, including cheap no-name variants from LCSC etc.

Online Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #7 on: Today at 09:40:38 am »
I have some boards on order from JLC with some.  I couldn't find a common footprint, every brand was slightly different.  Heights also vary widely.

A lot are a combination of TH and SMD pads, so they're not reflow hotplate compatible.  I assume hot air will work but I have not tried yet.

JLCPCB assembly wouldn't do my first choice part (SMD+TH) on their standard "economy" assembly service, so I switched it out for another similar part (TH).  Not sure why (maybe it falls over a lot during assembly or is too hard to solder?).
« Last Edit: Today at 09:46:34 am by Whales »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: Today at 11:12:45 am »
Choose one from Molex which meets your requirements ...

Good idea, thanks. Forgot that any decent and popular one will likely be copied by everyone else :)

I couldn't find a common footprint, every brand was slightly different.  Heights also vary widely.

Yep, that's how it looked to me. I would have thought the footprint would be common and the height vary, but there we go.

JLCPCB assembly wouldn't do my first choice part ...

Not an expert in these things (obvs!) but I couldn't see anything obvious either. Strange.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #9 on: Today at 11:17:45 am »
With USB C and USB Micro B, I strongly recommend a through hole version. They do exist for USB C and they are significantly sturdier than SMT ones.  If you must use an SMT port, look at ways to secure the port to the board so it doesn't bend off.  At the very least try to use through-hole mount point ones even if the data/power pins are SMT.  Do not just rely on the case of the product to secure it, because the lever-action of the cable being inserted and removed will create a pivot point which will cause the failure of the SMT pads eventually.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: Today at 01:58:44 pm »
Indeed, I always go for the one with the tabs for mounting, so when I say SMD I really mean the signal pins. Although with USB-C I imagine PTH could be rather tricky (although the likes of RJ45 have managed fine so far).

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: Today at 03:23:45 pm »
I've definitely designed in a through hole horizontal-mount USB-C port, where all the data and power pins are THT, but certainly does make the routing quite difficult!  The drill holes end up being pretty small.

https://www.molex.com/content/dam/molex/molex-dot-com/products/automated/en-us/salesdrawingpdf/216/216989/2169890001_sd.pdf?inline

It looks like these ports don't support USB3.0 signalling due to the density of signals (4x superspeed pairs, with a pair-swapping IC required to get it to work), you're probably stuck with SMT in that case if you need USB3.0.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: Today at 03:28:56 pm »
I've definitely designed in a through hole horizontal-mount USB-C port, where all the data and power pins are THT, but certainly does make the routing quite difficult!  The drill holes end up being pretty small.

But would you expect a real stability benefit from using THT for the data and power pins? Those tiny wires won't help much in bearing any mechanical load. Solid through-hole mounting tabs should be fine to hold the connector in place and resist any torque from the plug; the actual contacts can all be SMD.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: Today at 04:02:09 pm »

But would you expect a real stability benefit from using THT for the data and power pins? Those tiny wires won't help much in bearing any mechanical load. Solid through-hole mounting tabs should be fine to hold the connector in place and resist any torque from the plug; the actual contacts can all be SMD.

Based on repairs I've made in the past to devices using USB Micro B, I don't rate just having through hole mounting points as being sufficient.  The typical failure point is that the connector remains rigidly mounted to the board, but the SMD pads flex up due to cyclic load.  It is true that it is better than SMT pads alone for mounting it, and that repairs are usually easier because only one or two tend to break rather than the whole lot, but it's still not ideal.

At a guess, the failure mechanism would be due to the inner plastic moulding allowing just enough movement of the pins to create a fracture point at the interface between the PCB and connector.  This flex is necessary to provide the mating tolerance and spring force on the pins, but the force is unfortunately transferred into the fragile pads.

I haven't yet seen enough USB C devices to say if their SMT connectors are better, so it might be unnecessary for USB C but I would prefer to use THT myself until it's shown to be unnecessary.  The fact that they are offered as a product suggests that there is some demand for improved reliability here (I can't imagine there are that many USB C products where THT would be necessary for other reasons, like an inability to use SMT parts.)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf