Author Topic: UNI-T Bench Oscilloscopes: How are they?  (Read 34380 times)

Offline FenderBenderTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
UNI-T Bench Oscilloscopes: How are they?
« on: September 11, 2011, 10:27:21 pm »
So I was looking around on eBay and I saw a lot of "nice looking" Uni-T oscilloscopes for very cheap. For example, $375 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-UNI-T-UTD2102CEL-1G-Digital-Oscilloscope-100MHz-/330611285911?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item4cf9f7df97

And there are also ones that are around $300 shipped.

I've seen some very good Uni-T equipment, (and some not so good). How do you think these are?

Thanks.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
Re: UNI-T Bench Oscilloscopes: How are they?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 11:10:15 pm »
Why not use the search function first? This and many other cheap oscilloscopes have been discussed here in the past. Multiple times. E.g.https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1331.msg17306#msg17306

By the way, you happen to point to the eBay shop of that guy who recently spamvertised his web site with a pseudo-article about engineers using cheap voltage testers. Do you buy from spammers? I don't.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 12:19:52 am »
My personal  "do and do not rules"  forbids me about getting a new bench type equipment from any foreign country.
I do count on the warranty plan, because the complex or heavy devices gets easily damaged from accidents in the transportation.

Unfortunately there is no much of reviews about the UNI-T tools worldwide,
and there is a good reason for that.

The UNI-T plan is to dominate the Chinese market, they have all ready 3000 retailers in 72 major in size Chinese cities.
Looks like that they do not care that's much for the west world, speaking about getting fame.  :)

Even so there is an international distribution network, respectable local retailers offer those products,
with warranty and support.
Just find one.  :)

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:13:33 pm by Kiriakos-GR »

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 11:46:25 am »
There are several reviews on eevblog of UniT scopes, none of them exceptional.  There is also a review of a past model on youtube from a Philippine user.

As B@W says, check eevblog archives.  These reviews were not for the model you post, but of older ones.  Things could change,  and makers could improve but as it stands UniT is a risky buy, if you want an instrument that lives up to its spec sheet, so you are left with is this a gamble you are willing to take?  Recently a user bought a Siglent scope, check the thread, and it was never reviewed here until he got one, but it was thought to be risky, what he posted suggests then showed subtle defects that wouldn't be noticed unless you know scopes.  However, a more recent Atten scope, made by the same company, as posted and reviewed works better.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 11:32:07 pm »
Right. Well I have seen some good Uni-T things, but it's kind of one of those companies where I'm just not confident enough to completely trust. Like Fluke is the gold standard of DMMs and Agilent and Textronix lead the O-scope market, etc. Uni-T does not get that respect, and probably for good reason...BUT, if you've ever looked inside some of test equipment, you will probably realize that there is a pretty big markup. While there is a lot of research going on, $50,000 for an O-Scope? I'm sure tons of research and money went into it, and there had to be some excellent QC while making it, but in the end, these companies are still making a crapload of money.

Uni-T could still be doing the research, but instead are catering to a different market. Small electronics manufacturers and repair shops cannot afford to buy equipment that is thousands upon thousands of dollars...because likely it doesn't matter if they are 0.5% off on their measurements. Because they cannot really compete in the upper segment, they price their equipment in the hobbyiest/smallscale sector where they have a much better chance at dominating their particular sector. They do this by keeping prices low.

Just a theory. Just because it's cheaper, doesn't mean it's crap. And I'm not defending Uni-T. This applies to a lot of cheap test equipment like Atten, Rigol etc.

But on the topic, I don't think I really want a Uni-T scope after looking around a little bit. The Rigols do look like more of a value, though physically they look like they belong in a different decade, but that's besides the point.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 12:56:59 am »
FenderBender

I think that you are a bit confused .... no one cares at the low priced tools about fame and kings.

All that you should do, is to find the device with the proper specifications for your needs.
If you find that at the UNI-T products or elsewhere , just get it.

But never from the other side of the world, get it locally.

Offline gregariz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 01:08:53 am »
While there is a lot of research going on, $50,000 for an O-Scope? I'm sure tons of research and money went into it, and there had to be some excellent QC while making it, but in the end, these companies are still making a crapload of money.

They are making alot of $ but they have to. The Agilents, Teks and Flukes will be paying their design engineers ~100K a piece. They are all publicly owned heavily bureacratic companies with an army of managers, execs, sales and marketing functions that need to be paid. Their tooling costs are high in the 10's of K's everytime they make a mold. Their target customers are corporate and aerospace clients, whose contracts are large enough to warrant throwing down for 10 off 30K scopes at a time. Agilent routinely charges over 100K a piece for some of their gear, but even then they weren't making enough for HP to want to keep them. The dribs and drabs that they sell to SME's, cashed up individuals or rental places are just extra's... but make no mistake the corporate clients are what pay their bills.

Some of the chinese stuff like Extech's higher end are aimed at corporate customers, but alot of what you see on ebay is aimed at SME's and hobbyists. Alot of these chinese companies are privately held, pay their people 1/10th of what the big guys do and are as lean as you like in terms of management.

What any company makes often has very little to do with whether it satisfies most customers functions. Its about satisfying those with the $. IMO while some of the ebay stuff is cheap junk but most of it will be fine for the average user. You can also do pretty well if you don't need the latest bells and whistles just by buying second hand ex-corporate stuff.

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 01:19:45 am »
Just a theory. Just because it's cheaper, doesn't mean it's crap. And I'm not defending Uni-T. This applies to a lot of cheap test equipment like Atten, Rigol etc.

you can perfectly buy a piece of crap, best example are DSOs from

Owon - all these PDS/EDU crap of series
Huatest (www.huatest.cn) HT100A/HT100B
Jingce-sz (jingce-sz.cn) JC1102TA/JC1102CA
Longwei (http://hklongwei.en.alibaba.com/ lol, even no company website) - LW2102B
MCH (http://mchinstruments.itrademarket.com/) - DS-2100CA

they didn't worth even a single line of text here - but they costs exact the same as UNI-T UTD2102CEL.

So looking from that point UTD2102CEL is a good scope.

There is of course , as always, something what i don't like - when you buy older hw revision of CEL model
you will see how crappy they are - and probably never ever see firmware update (you have to be carefull, many
dealers have still these old revisions). When you buy new revision you have to worry about your live, the power
supply or better said how it has been mounted a 1cm above main PCB is just a bad joke. Oh, and of course
the new revision have still the same crappy firmware.

Sure UNI-T will work, and of course you can measure/work with such DSO a light years better as with these
"no idea what kind of toy DSOs they are" listed above - but is it worth money? I don't know, a cheap Siglent/Atten is probably
better choice.

Btw, if i would buy a toy DSO, then it will be probably LUCK3 from realt.cn

This toy costs 120USD and is just pure fun toy-like DSO. Actually Realt is not a real manufacturer, they selling rebranded
things, no idea who is the original designer. Realt.cn is for example having rebranded Tekway DSOs, and they even a bit
cheaper than directly from Tekway, somehow funny.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 01:29:53 am by tinhead »
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline Lawsen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 01:21:17 am »
What is your application and purpose for purchasing this UNI-T oscilloscope?  Is it you just want one to collect as a hobby?  I have read, the UNI-T oscilloscope is very close to an wide screen Atten with 100 MHz and the sampling rate is different.  UNI-T listed it as 50 Gsamples/s equivalent and 1 GSamples/s real time.  Most entry level, low priced oscilloscopes are 1 Gsamples/s in equivalent mode and 500 Msamples/s in real time for $319.00 for Atten with 7 inch diagonal.  The best on my table is an low priced Agilent 70 MHz DSOX 2002a with 1 Gsamples/s real time and 2 Gsamples/s in equivalent time.  I do not trust the 50 Gsamples/s equivalent listing in the UNI-T.  If your signal is less than 50 MHz, any of these budget oscilloscopes will work, even with an exaggerated specifications.  I do not test oscilloscopes or write a consumer report on oscilloscopes, Dave Jones does a great job at the ones he owned and I have enjoyed the Yokogawa vertical style case models, DL1640L, others have reviewed on E Bay. 

These are all digital oscilloscopes, that they do not handle like the Tektronix 465 or early analog oscilloscopes.  What do you mean about "they look like another decade?"  The Owon have really slow sampling rates, but there is a battery option and they are as slow as the 20 Msamples/s Fluke Scopemeter 1-2-3.  It should be based upon your project and the type of signal you are trying to view.  You would not purchase a Tektronix MDO just to fix computer giant plotters, my example or help make seismographs for geology.  Unless you are an oscilloscope collector. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 01:28:17 am by Lawsen »

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 01:29:23 am »
From the latest reviews I enjoyed more the Agilent oscilloscope dropping test .. LOL  :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 01:43:54 am »
What is your application and purpose for purchasing this UNI-T oscilloscope?  Is it you just want one to collect as a hobby?  I have read, the UNI-T oscilloscope is very close to an wide screen Atten with 100 MHz and the sampling rate is different.  UNI-T listed it as 50 Gsamples/s equivalent and 1 GSamples/s real time.  Most entry level, low priced oscilloscopes are 1 Gsamples/s in equivalent mode and 500 Msamples/s in real time for $319.00 for Atten with 7 inch diagonal.  The best on my table is an low priced Agilent 70 MHz DSOX 2002a with 1 Gsamples/s real time and 2 Gsamples/s in equivalent time.  I do not trust the 50 Gsamples/s equivalent listing in the UNI-T.  If your signal is less than 50 MHz, any of these budget oscilloscopes will work, even with an exaggerated specifications.  I do not test oscilloscopes or write a consumer report on oscilloscopes, Dave Jones does a great job at the ones he owned and I have enjoyed the Yokogawa vertical style case models, DL1640L, others have reviewed on E Bay. 

These are all digital oscilloscopes, that they do not handle like the Tektronix 465 or early analog oscilloscopes.  What do you mean about "they look like another decade?"  The Owon have really slow sampling rates, but there is a battery option and they are as slow as the 20 Msamples/s Fluke Scopemeter 1-2-3.  It should be based upon your project and the type of signal you are trying to view.  You would not purchase a Tektronix MDO just to fix computer giant plotters, my example or help make seismographs for geology.  Unless you are an oscilloscope collector.

The use as of now is just hobbyist work, though I will be majoring in EE when I graduate HS this year. (I'm young). The company I work for and the school I go to should have good equipment, but for hobby stuff that I'm still interested in...I'd kind of like me own.

That was just a sly comment about it's appearance. Not actual specification.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 01:44:27 am »
FenderBender

I think that you are a bit confused .... no one cares at the low priced tools about fame and kings.

All that you should do, is to find the device with the proper specifications for your needs.

I might be confused though I don't get what you mean by ".... no one cares at the low priced tools about fame and kings. "

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 01:50:34 am »
BK actually makes a pretty cheap scope these days. $450. It's not the best spec-wise, but I think you could trust the specs and the overall build quality, plus it's a US based company. I don't know much about o-scope terminology so maybe this is a real piece of crap, but I've been looking at it. BK generally has some very decently priced equipment.

http://www.bkprecision.com/products/model/2530B/25-mhz-500-msa-s-digital-storage-oscilloscope.html

The only problem is: Although I'm 18, I'm still not quite free, and I'd probably have to consult my parents before making a $500 purchase. That's what I get for being 18 I guess.

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 01:51:02 am »
I do not trust the 50 Gsamples/s equivalent listing in the UNI-T. 

yeah, these values are sometimes just random.

I tested Tonghui TDO3062A, a 60MHz DSO with 200MSs real time and 40GSs equivalent mode - it
was able not only to trigger without any issues on 200MHz signal but it also reconstructed 250MHz signal
without any wobbling effects in equ mode - so definitely properly implemented equ mode.
A real 40GSs ? Well, probabaly not, but who cares, it worked much better as it should do.

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 01:57:14 am »
FenderBender

I might be confused though I don't get what you mean by ".... no one cares at the low priced tools about fame and kings. "

Well, some people like to buy stuff just for the bragging rights.
In order to brag you need something famous.
But as long you are still a student, you have all the time of the world so to research better your needs,
and get the appropriate device.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 02:16:43 am »
FenderBender

Well, some people like to buy stuff just for the bragging rights.
In order to brag you need something famous.
But as long you are still a student, you have all the time of the world so to research better your needs,
and get the appropriate device.

So you're saying,

Someone buys a $10,000 oscilloscope although they have no idea how to use it or what they will use it for, but they think they're cool because they have one?

For an o-scope I don't need anything expensive. What I do need is some sort of "general purpose" oscilloscope, if such a thing exists. I A scope that works and will be  reliable, as I'll probably never throw it away Granted $500USD is still cquite cheap for a decent bench DSO.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 02:19:46 am by FenderBender »

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 02:49:16 am »
A scope that works and will be  reliable, as I'll probably never throw it away Granted $500USD is still quite cheap for a decent bench DSO.

This is what I have at the back of my head when I buy stuff, but this works only for DMM that is hardest for the manufacturers to come back with an interesting add on, that it will trigger me so to upgrade.  ;)

By getting some expertness in the field, your needs they will grow too, and so do not think that much about what to get for now,
soon enough you will sell it, so to get the better one..  :)

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 06:29:13 am »
Longwei (http://hklongwei.en.alibaba.com/ lol, even no company website)

http://www.hklongwei.cn - Dongguan Longwei Electronic Technology Co., Ltd, formally known as HK Longwei.

And some more oscilloscope manufacturers: GAOtek, Ypioneer, Tonghui, Jiangsu Lvyang. All good candidates if you look for a luck bag.

I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Nermash

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 09:05:35 am »
You can guess how lucky you will be when they name their function generator "LW-1641 FUNC  TION GENERATOR"... yes with a space:)

Offline Kozmyk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 11:28:32 am »
You've gotta love those "direct currency regulated power supplies" ;-)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 02:47:55 pm »
In that case, for $400 you could consider the Rigol 1052e, a conservative choice, US based subsidiary with local support, at least for warranty maintenance, and if you know how to deal, tequipment.net via the chat will work with you to lower price further.

If you do not intend to hack it, then the Instek 1062a from the same vendor is only $10 more and has a better reputation.

BK actually makes a pretty cheap scope these days. $450. It's not the best spec-wise, but I think you could trust the specs and the overall build quality, plus it's a US based company. I don't know much about o-scope terminology so maybe this is a real piece of crap, but I've been looking at it. BK generally has some very decently priced equipment.

http://www.bkprecision.com/products/model/2530B/25-mhz-500-msa-s-digital-storage-oscilloscope.html

The only problem is: Although I'm 18, I'm still not quite free, and I'd probably have to consult my parents before making a $500 purchase. That's what I get for being 18 I guess.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Lawsen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 11:35:06 pm »
Kiriakos is correct that a local importer of the UNI-T oscilloscope is a lot more secure than purchase it from abroad in a shop at Hong Kong or mainland China.  I have an Atten signal generator from a store in Hong Kong.  My mother warned me that Hong Kong merchants tend not to accept returns and little consumer laws to protect you.  If you are buying it directly from China or Hong Kong, then there are risks as mentioned by Kiriakos.  I am Chinese American myself and I find there are risks.  I bought some Sony Li ion batteries, IBM stylus pen for screen computers, and signal generator from China.  All of these sales went well and the items are still functional after a few months, not a year, yet.  If you like the lay out of the UNI-T and the specifications work for you and you have saved or worked enough for it, then buy it.  We have seen just all types of oscilloscopes on this blog and we do not care much about the brand name.  I like the low end battery powered Owon.  I find for audio signals, perfect, no need for the Agilent DSOX 2002a to watch over it.  Use, what works for you and when you practice the trade more, then you will have more money to spend on better instruments to your taste.  There are so many low end brands to chose from.  The Rigol 1052E and analog Tektronix oscilloscopes are the most admired in this website.  The Tektronix MDO is like a dream to many just to try it. Tektronix has the best warranty policy, a life time replacement warranty from what I have read.  Fluke has a great repair plan, too.  We do not get any of these benefits with UNI-T, Owon, Atten, or Rigol.  I do not know much about the service policy of Agilent, though I use one Agilent instrument on my cart.  You are better off buying it from an importer near you and if there are problems with your instrument, then you have laws in your location protecting you with your sales record and bill.  You are an individual that cannot afford to take a lost like a medium business.  Be aware of exaggerated sampling rates that are too good to be true for the price.  I was taught the Nyquist frequency to avoid aliasing, display wrong waveforms, if the sampling rate is twice your highest frequency signal.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:56:23 am by Lawsen »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 01:36:58 am »
I'm sort of attracted to this B&K, but I'm not sure why. It's essentially a Tek 2001 scope, according to some sources, which I think would be a good thing. Maybe I'm just being an idiot, but although the Rigols, Owon, Atten scopes are typically fine, they still seem to run into more problems than their "big name" counterparts, which might have similar specs but are 2x the price.

Again, I could be being dumb.

Offline Lawsen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 02:06:10 am »
You are looking at brand names, but not what it has to offer to you.  This conversation could go on forever, because there is always a new instrument on the market.  Consider buying an oscilloscope on how the software feels to you.  I like my Agilent DSOX 2002a 70 MHz, because of its software.  I like the Owon, because it is battery powered.  I like the analog Tektronix 465 for just plain simple click on the knobs and dial in what I want to view and no hassles with software and waveform shows up instantly.  Get my digital camera and set it to marco mode and take a picture of the wave form.  I am not going to write this listing more.  The differences between an low end Tektronix 2000c at 70 MHz and other makes of the same from a place in China are the warranty and software.  Every thing we mention is good as long as it is within the Nyquist frequency of your highest frequency to prevent aliasing, false wave forms.  There is the function of calculus with Fourier transformation. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 02:09:25 am by Lawsen »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 02:26:13 am »
Yeah I know. I'm inexperienced. Well we'll see when I get closer to actually buying it.

By the way, how is the build quality typically on B&K scopes? I've seen good things on DMMs and other handhelds, but never scopes. Caps that won't leak? Good power supply? Safely wired? Brand-name silicon?

Probably won't be til after Christmas and my birthday until I buy it. 18 years old means people still think I'm innocent enough to give me money.  ;D The joys of youth.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf