Author Topic: Two phrases I'm sick of hearing; "open source" and "arduino"  (Read 40479 times)

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline glossywhiteTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Re: Two phrases I'm sick of hearing; "open source" and "arduino"
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2011, 10:47:43 pm »
You guys are LOL-worthy, seriously. I was merely suggesting that the names were rubbish, and let's face it - they are. It's not really important, and it is ONLY my opinion - noone is holding a knife to your neck, making you nod in agreeance.

This is like listening to the PC vs Mac fanboys throwing their "ball" back and forth, trying to score points in an endless and futile "war" of who is right, and who is wrong. I just think the names are laughable, and that's about it really.

I'll let you continue your dull little rants in peace - I'm outa here, have a great day folks - it ain't worth getting upset over, okay.

:)

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2011, 11:35:05 pm »
how about renaming it to "booby" or "blondie" or "chicky" etc. the op dont like italian. and i think the problem with most english people pronouncing it because the lower education system (teach how to spell and pronounce) is still not complete.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Lance

• Frequent Contributor
  • Resistance if futile if R<1Ohm
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2011, 12:25:09 am »
Could hatred for the Arduino bring Microchip and Atmel fanboys together?
#include "main.h"
//#include <killallhumans.h>

Offline Chasm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2011, 01:11:42 am »
Could hatred for the Arduino bring Microchip and Atmel fanboys together?

That would be very much against the fanboy definition.
Arduinos use Atmel so that is also very much against the Atmel fanboy definition.

And then the hatred for the Arduino is very much focused on the software side of things where it exactly does what it is supposed to.
So I'd say that this is rather about C fanboys thay anything else.

And absolutely everyone knows what a great language C is, especially those who ever heard about infosec. :D

flame on. ;)

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2011, 01:38:08 am »
All I have to say now is thank you for the amusing discussions  :)

Offline flapjackboy

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2011, 05:03:17 am »
You guys are LOL-worthy, seriously. I was merely suggesting that the names were rubbish, and let's face it - they are. It's not really important, and it is ONLY my opinion - noone is holding a knife to your neck, making you nod in agreeance.

This is like listening to the PC vs Mac fanboys throwing their "ball" back and forth, trying to score points in an endless and futile "war" of who is right, and who is wrong. I just think the names are laughable, and that's about it really.

I'll let you continue your dull little rants in peace - I'm outa here, have a great day folks - it ain't worth getting upset over, okay.

:)

TROOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL!!! In the dungeon!

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2011, 09:39:57 am »
Let me tell you something; until "Ardweeennnnooo" has a more sensible name for it's IDE and product, it just appears to be a toy for people who don't want to invest the time and knowledge into doing things properly

er, that's exactly what Arduino is designed it to be - ISTR it even says something like 'prototyping platform for artists' on the PCB. It's for people that want a quick & easy way to get their ideas working. They never claimed it to be anything else.

You are not their target market - they don't care what you think.
Although if you want a quick & cheap AVR prototyping platform, there's a 6-pin ISP header so you can ignore all the silly-named software.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2011, 09:50:52 am »

And another fail, the female headers, instead of mail headers on the Arduino. You put the mechanical more robust part of a connection on the more valuable or more important part. Because replacing it is more risky. Since male headers are more robust, the Arduino should have them, and the shields should have female headers to mate.

Sorry but I have to call Bollocks on that one
Pins are much easier to bend than (decent) header sockets are to break.
Expansion boards will never be used on their own. so their pins can be protected in foam or whatever when not in use.
You can poke solid-core wire into header sockets.

Totally agree about most of the other points,  but I suspect this was just historical accident - when the original layout was done they couldn't  have imagined how popular it would become, and by the  time it took off it was too late to change.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline allanw

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2011, 02:58:00 am »
Heh, some of you guys are gonna flip at this. $1300 3-d printer MakerBot:

http://www.prestonlee.com/2011/01/18/makerbot-thing-o-matic-3d-printer-print-pictures-product-review/

It has an Arduino Mega in it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/prestonlee/5266832169/#

I believe it controls all the motors etc off it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 02:59:41 am by allanw »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2011, 03:15:02 am »
Heh, some of you guys are gonna flip at this. $1300 3-d printer MakerBot:
i've seen such a machine back in the U that can carve steel to shapes, and i believe that will cost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollar. now this fun plastic 3D shaping machine that i saw in the documentary, only 1K++. who would have provide/design/open source/study for you such an access to such a device? i recall, the guy (inventor) said, building it is more than the arduino alone and beyond than his expectation. so... its true that there is more of designing, researching than the arduino alone. but the arduino has made this guy started in the first place. and the guy mentioned, he knows shit about ee, so... doesnt this means something to ee people? you could have done better guys! other than just keep complaining. Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 03:17:10 am by shafri »

Offline flapjackboy

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2011, 05:49:49 am »
you could have done better guys! other than just keep complaining. Cheers.

My sentiments exactly.

Build a better platform or STFU.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2011, 04:34:22 pm »
Not impressed the way that strangers are being judged; seems a little naive, as the chances that you actually know the people you are casting personal aspersions upon, is a probability of about 0.001%. Also quite amusing is the odd placement of exclamation marks when asking questions, in place of a "?". There's a LOT of attitude in this forum, is it really neccessary - are these things that important to you guys?

Out of interest (and not malice), is this you, flapjackboy?:

**image deleted**

If so, I have kinda summised a little about you from Googling, and apologise if I have wound you up. If I am correct in thinking that the term "aspie32" which I found, relates to you, then I think I should cut you some more slack.

Take care :-)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 11:11:41 pm by EEVblog »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2011, 07:21:05 pm »
There's a LOT of attitude in this forum, is it really neccessary - are these things that important to you guys?

Your correct about attitude RECENTLY, it was only the other day that I was saying to Dave (our admin) that the forum was "well behaved" and how I'd never seen a discussion "get out of hand", sadly the words were hardly out my mouth when "attitude" started to appear

Yes there are some people with a bit of an attitude and if I may say so they are all recent members - no names mentioned.

If we want to talk about attitude why don't you reread your initial post you started this topic with ? Now I've not been reading the whole 5 pages of this topic but I'm getting complaints and if you ask me it started on the wrong foot in the first place.

Perhaps we should all remember that there is no right or wrong way to do something,

Getting back to the topic at hand I personally am crap on MCU's I spent 3 years trying with assembler and gave up. It was only with the simplicity of BASIC that I can bearly code an MCU. I don't care for the arduino as I'm practical enough to put an MCU on a breadbord and wire it up and them make a final PCB. I think the maker and haker comunities are the ones that are playing with this sort of stuff and most of us on here are more hardcore electronics although some use the arduino in certain circumstances for quikies. Anyone may choose any method they like, I can't see the problem. If someone wants to use an inneficient method: let them

If you want to go on such a crusade why not go after microsoft who have done for years exactly what you complain of ?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 08:54:22 pm by Simon »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2011, 11:25:31 pm »
There's a LOT of attitude in this forum, is it really neccessary - are these things that important to you guys?

GlossyWhite, I have had half a dozen complaints about your posts now, that's half a dozen too many.
BTW, your first post had more attitude than all the other posts combined.
By all means bitch and moan and argue about the design, technical or marketing details of the Arduino all you want, I found it interesting enough that I talked about this thread on TheAmpHour. But personal attacks or comments will not be tolerated and are not in the spirit of this forum.

Play nice or you are not welcome here.

Simon is right, we were just talking the other day about how the moderators didn't have to do much here but combat spam, and how generally nice everyone played here on the forum. Then all of a sudden the complaints roll in. Any apparent "attitude" on the forum is indeed very recent.

Regards
Dave.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2011, 12:20:43 am »
Getting back to topic, I'll have to give Arduino the big tick!
Not because it is revolutionary, not because it offers some engineering holy grail but because it has offered the most approachable entry level path for newbie in years. Not the hardware particularly but the way the whole Arduino phenomenon is proving attractive.

The "swinging dicks" can dis Aduino but you have to question the motives, do people want EE to appear an exclusive club? Is stroking personal egos more important than encouraging growth in hobby and small business electronics?

At a time when most of the parts industry (well at least here in AU) has dropped component supply in favour of Chinese home theatre sales, or has devoted en ever greater proportion of the shelf space to sale of fart gadgets, the emergence of new start-up suppliers is a positive boon.

No an established hardware hacker isn't likely to do too many bulk buys from the new Arduino based sales channels, nor is any serious developer likely to use Arduino as as the basis for any product they hope to market commercially. But isn't that missing the point.

Arduino for all it's flaws has created a level of interest and enthusiasm unseen for a decade. Sure many of those newbies will eventually lose interest. Is that any different from more established pathways? But for some creative people Arduino will offer an entry level that they will eventuall outgrow. Arduino can offer a means to spark a passion.

Seriously do we all have to etch every PCB ourselves or do we need to machine code every MCU we encounter to be credible? I don't think so, different horses for different courses. Arduino is arguably one of the best newbie pony rides about.

Hats off to those who created Arduino, I only wish I had had the idea to present something so simple so simply. Sour grapes of them marketing presenting it better than you will never be a good look.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2011, 12:31:46 am »
you poster "A" and poster "B" are both

How about we leave all the personal accusation out. It never been very successful strategy to put out fires with gasoline.

Quote from: shafri
if i'm the admin

but for whatever reason you are not! The admin in chief has just said his piece, how about we all leave it that, play nice and let those who are admins do their admin biz? 

Cheers shafri, lets all keep on with whatever positive contributions we can muster.  ;)

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2011, 12:43:41 am »
but for whatever reason you are not! The admin in chief has just said his piece, how about we all leave it that, play nice and let those who are admins do their admin biz? 
right! i thought i could give some fanboys a lesson. the op deleted the post, so i did mine, hope they both read.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2011, 08:40:57 am »
I get the impression that Arduino is used more by those into software and other stuff. I joine the local hacker group but soon lost interest as they were all software geeks that like to make stuff happen fast and the arduino was ideal for them. I expressed my views on it as i prefer to make up my own hardware and software package by using the PIC of my choice and the software of my choice with the option to swap any of those two parts as i see fit. As it happens I soon left the hackers group because I was more into circuit design they more into software although now they have expanded I might rejoin if i have the time.

I was able to write in basic a nice little piece of software I'm very proud of and will be the core to a product i could easily market, hopefully I'll get into C soon but assembler was just a waste of time, I've not got the head for it, I take m,y hat off to anyone that can do assembler but i find that for my needs basic does fine and I believe that with C I'll be in the best software compromise to get what i want done with the least effort but retaing the most control and flexibility

Offline flapjackboy

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2011, 11:33:33 am »
I get the impression that Arduino is used more by those into software and other stuff. I joine the local hacker group but soon lost interest as they were all software geeks that like to make stuff happen fast and the arduino was ideal for them. I expressed my views on it as i prefer to make up my own hardware and software package by using the PIC of my choice and the software of my choice with the option to swap any of those two parts as i see fit. As it happens I soon left the hackers group because I was more into circuit design they more into software although now they have expanded I might rejoin if i have the time.

Then the hackerspace wasn't worth joining at that time, imho. If they couldn't see the value your skills and knowledge brought to the group as a whole, they started the hackerspace for the wrong reasons.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2011, 01:39:21 pm »
well I'm not good enough to achieve much in Basic anyhow, really it was a case of we had different areas of interest. they in playing with models me in making dedicated electronics and nothing they wanted to do was in my scope of building.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2011, 02:19:08 pm »
they are called "cracker" last time when i got involved in such a thing... not "hacker". cracker only want the exploit, not want to invent, find or think!

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2011, 02:47:57 pm »
Hi guys, hope you could take a look at my other thread when you have some time:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2317.0

Thank you all :)

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2011, 03:04:13 pm »
buy us some beers ok?!

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2011, 03:15:26 pm »
buy us some beers ok?!

Your beer is in the mail, honest :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo