Author Topic: Electrical Designer jobs  (Read 2194 times)

Offline EnronTopic starter

• Contributor
Electrical Designer jobs
« on: August 28, 2012, 11:57:38 pm »
I see that there are a lot of Electrical Designer jobs in my area. Quite a few are from temp agencies. I was wondering, are most designer jobs only temporary? I saved up enough "screw you" money, and was thinking about quieting my current job, and becoming one. I just don't want to be let go after a couple months.

Electrical Designer's, any thoughts/concerns about your current your past designer positions?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Electrical Designer jobs
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 12:15:01 am »
I guess that the majority are still permanent jobs.
Temp contract jobs very often get extended beyond the original term, and it's not unusual to be there for many years.
I was a contractor at one job for 5 years, it started as a 1 month term. Most people didn't even know I was a contractor, they assumed I was just full time and 'part of the furniture"
Most contract roles are in the 6m+ category, it's not common to get one for only 1 or two months.
So if you want a bit more security only apply for the 6m+ contract jobs.

Contracting can be nice. You generally get paid more, you get a change of scenery every year or so (without the hassle/stigma of "quitting"), and usually some good time off between jobs.

Beware though, being a contractor can put you into an entirely different tax category and set of rules etc. Varies by country.
It used to be tax advantageous to be a contractor here in Oz, but not so much any more.

Dave.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 12:17:57 am by EEVblog »

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 05:02:19 am »
Beware of the temp agency job offer multiplication effect.

It goes like this. A company is looking for a contractor. They approach a few temp agencies. Each temp agency puts out their own job ad for the job, typical via multiple channels, to find candidates. What is one single job is now advertised as if there are many.

On top of that you have the leachers. Free agents who look at agency ads, try to find an own candidate and then try to sell that candidate to an agency or directly to the company, if they can identify it, to score some commission. These pimps also advertise the job to find a candidate.

What is one single job is now advertised as if there is a huge demand for that type of job.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 06:35:04 pm »
I started my current job on a 3 month contract. That was 8 years ago

Neil
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf