Author Topic: Trio CS-1566a scope - dirty BNC connection  (Read 5395 times)

Offline glossywhiteTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Trio CS-1566a scope - dirty BNC connection
« on: February 05, 2011, 01:32:02 pm »
Hi guys. I have been donated a very nice, albeit "well used" Trio (HP) CS-1566a, 20Mhz 'scope, circa 1979 :). The centre pin of one of the channel BNC connectors seems to be a little dirty - (it's not the probe - tested them both on the same channel, and they both exhibit this symptom). Can someone suggest what is best to clean the centre conductor of the 'scope BNC socket, please?

Great 'scope for its' vintage - perfect for an entry-level PIC diagnosis tool.

Thank you, as always.

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
Re: Trio CS-1566a scope - dirty BNC connection
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 05:41:33 pm »
A cotton wool bud and isopropyl alcohol or switch cleaner? It will be "dirty" because the connector is silver plated, which readily oxidises. Normally it just rubs off more exposed areas.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 06:39:12 pm »
A cotton wool bud and isopropyl alcohol or switch cleaner? It will be "dirty" because the connector is silver plated, which readily oxidises. Normally it just rubs off more exposed areas.

Thanks, I tried that. Turns out the BNC socket is a little loose in the front panel mounting, so I'm taking it apart to clean and tighten it.

Offline sonicj

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 11:54:36 pm »
i use denatured alcohol, toothbrush, q-tips, kim wipes, compressed air, etc.

mating the connectors in the presence of a solvent sometimes helps to break up stubborn grime.

i like DeoxIT Shield for my freshly cleaned/new connectors. it combats corrosion and makes matings smooove.
-sj

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 12:45:40 am »
Thanks for all the advice guys. I stripped the front panel down, and re-built it all. Had to solder some potentiometer controls that had dry joints - hardly surprising after 32 years in a college!

'Tis now a great 'scope :D

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 03:52:18 pm »
'Tis now a great 'scope :D

It should be a decent enough piece of kit -- when I was hunting for a 20MHz analogue 'scope last year, lost amidst the plethora of choices on eBay, I went for a Kenwood model simply because my father's Trio hi-fi receiver from 1970-mumble is still going strong.  (Kenwood was the name Trio used in the US around that time, and was later adopted worldwide.)  The only issue with mine is a loose knob on the vernier adjustment for either the Ch2 scale or timebase, I forget; coaxed it back to the 'cal' position and one day will have to see about sorting it out properly.

Offline jimod4343

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 07:02:02 am »
Hi guys. I have been donated a very nice, albeit "well used" Trio (HP) CS-1566a, 20Mhz 'scope, circa 1979 :). The centre pin of one of the channel BNC connectors seems to be a little dirty - (it's not the probe - tested them both on the same channel, and they both exhibit this symptom). Can someone suggest what is best to clean the centre conductor of the 'scope BNC socket, please?

Great 'scope for its' vintage - perfect for an entry-level PIC diagnosis tool.

Thank you, as always.

I've had a TRIO CS-1566A for years and I think It is a simply wonderful piece of kit. The clutterless design of the front panel etc., the quality of the build etc. are super-duper. :)

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 11:18:39 am »
I use these microbrush applicators with Caig deoxit D100L for cleaning and then apply G100L for protection.
I only buy the liquid versions as they will last forever. Thea spray cans run out too fast. For those that think Caig products are snake oil, Agilent actualy sends a tube with the 34420A nanovolt/micro-ohmeter for maintaining the front panel connector integrity.  Use a white handle microbrush for the inside hole of a BNC connector. it takes a while if heavily oxidized and scrubbing with the microbrushes helps a lot.

Microbrushes ara available at many craft/hobby stores  http://www.microbrush.com/hobby/products/categories.asp?categID=8

Deoxit is at radioshack and others http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1607/.f?sc=2&category=188

jucole

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 02:03:38 pm »
I have a CS-1577A which I bought 2 years ago, it was my first bit of kit other than a multimeter, and I love it!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf