Author Topic: Totally illegible forum footer links - user interface FAIL.  (Read 17712 times)

Offline gnif

• Administrator
Re: Totally illegible forum footer links - user interface FAIL.
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2017, 04:32:23 am »
Guys, this guy is an outright troll, look at his post history, even in another thread his username issue was brought up.

Dave: If you like I can adjust the footer text, just let me know what you want. Honestly I would rather see you spend your valuable time on content/videos, etc rather then dealing with this kind of crap.

The following users thanked this post: station240

Offline switchedmodepsuTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2017, 04:32:45 am »
This poster is the epitome of trolling, and his denial of knowing what the word means makes it the only logical possibility.

Oh lighten up! I am yanking your chain, sheesh, didn't know you were so sensitive, sorry, I assumed you were all "hardened, seasoned engineers unafraid of speaking our minds"

Clearly not, for some - sensitive and precious. Calm down, I was "trolling" for a while and then quit it immediately, LIGHTEN UP :)

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2017, 04:33:44 am »
Now I too want a big name. I suddenly have big name envy.
iratus parum formica

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2017, 04:36:08 am »
Guys, this guy is an outright troll, look at his post history, even in another thread his username issue was brought up.

Dave: If you like I can adjust the footer text, just let me know what you want. Honestly I would rather see you spend your valuable time on content/videos, etc rather then dealing with this kind of crap.

You must be an "outright..." something - what can I choose to attribute to your personality, from minimal interaction with you? Choose a moniker - make it a nice one - I don't want to offend you or give you a title that will unfairly cast aspersions on you.

An outright nice guy! How about that? I am not a "troll" - I DID "troll" a couple of times and then couldn't be bothered. Hope that's cleared it up, sorry you misunderstand me, I am not a vindictive person :)

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2017, 04:37:29 am »

Fair enough. I'll take your word over anyone else's.

Now back to installing Windows NT 3.51 on my 486 :-) For some reason it doesn't like my Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro video card.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2017, 04:37:47 am »

I'll break a chunk off mine and give you it - here, put your hand out (passes you "...ersupply") :p

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2017, 04:37:55 am »
Clearly not, for some - sensitive and precious. Calm down, I was "trolling" for a while and then quit it immediately, LIGHTEN UP :)

So ... you get the juggernaut up to speed and when it gets out of control you stand back and say "Don't blame me, I'm not pushing any more"?

That's the best (and most lame) cop out I've come across in a long while.

If you want to 'yank on someone's chain' like you have for a bit of fun - don't do it here.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2017, 04:39:29 am »

I'll break a chunk off mine and give you it - here, put your hand out (passes you "...ersupply") :p

Just stick a space after "mode" and there won't be a problem.

Anyway, enough of this.  I have more interesting things I can waste my time on.

The following users thanked this post: switchedmodepsu

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2017, 04:41:02 am »

So ... you get the juggernaut up to speed and when it gets out of control you stand back and say "Don't blame me, I'm not pushing any more"?

That's the best (and most lame) cop out I've come across in a long while.

Okay mate, I am sorry, I didn't mean for you to get the wrong idea and take offence. Yes, I have been a tad silly tonight - sorry.

If you want to 'yank on someone's chain' like you have for a bit of fun - don't do it here.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2017, 04:44:18 am »
Okay mate, I am sorry, I didn't mean for you to get the wrong idea and take offence. Yes, I have been a tad silly tonight - sorry.

That is sounding far more positive.

I look forward to some more sensible contributions in the future.

:-+

The following users thanked this post: gnif, Halcyon

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2017, 04:46:26 am »

Now back to installing Windows NT 3.51 on my 486 :-) For some reason it doesn't like my Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro video card.

haha, sounds like fun mate, what are you doing?

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2017, 04:47:03 am »
As regards my username breaking layout, it appears EEVblog runs on SMF 2.0.13 (outdated) and in 2.1 they were well aware of it, ergo, fixed it... FIVE YEARS AGO! I am sure Dave has his reasons for sticking with his current version, but just as a heads up - it has been fixed and is NOT my fault, ok? Thanks.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=493787.0

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2017, 04:49:30 am »
As regards my username breaking layout, it appears EEVblog runs on SMF 2.0.13 (outdated) and in 2.1 they were well aware of it, ergo, fixed it... FIVE YEARS AGO! I am sure Dave has his reasons for sticking with his current version, but just as a heads up - it has been fixed and is NOT my fault, ok? Thanks.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=493787.0
And you knew this all along, didn't you?
iratus parum formica

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2017, 04:49:34 am »
Buddy you have guts to speak about a mess, when your long name is creating a mess.

Yeah it's long but to be fair to a new user signing up, how are they to know what is too long when they only have the field length of the signon form to go by. Why not enforce a maximum limit on username length at that point?

It has been patched... http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=493787.0

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2017, 04:54:16 am »
Buddy you have guts to speak about a mess, when your long name is creating a mess.

Yeah it's long but to be fair to a new user signing up, how are they to know what is too long when they only have the field length of the signon form to go by. Why not enforce a maximum limit on username length at that point?

I agree entirely, it is certainly an oversight, but what reasonable people do is when they are informed of it, or notice it, either way, see what they can do to fix it, but what you said in the other forum was a joke.

Switchedmodepowersupply can you shorten your name, it screws my browser

LOL. Ermmmm, sorry, but that would be ridiculous. Maybe Mr EEVblog will fix the forum to make it so that something so trivial doesn't cause text overflow/wraparound issues (I've seen it too, it's this crappy forum code, not blaming Dave, it's not his design.)

I like my username - won't change it - that won't fix the forum.

True that it wont fix the forum, but it would show that you are willing to work around the issue instead of using it to annoy people. Sure, report it, great! as a developer we are always looking for people to report bugs/feature requests, etc... But don't be so stubborn.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2017, 04:54:39 am »
I just found this funny image, describes me at times, and I am sure others will find it funny too:

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2017, 04:55:11 am »

I've probably got about 8-10 old computers I'd like to have working in my computer room (C64, Atari, old Macintosh's etc...). Among them is just a 486 I had since I was a kid.

I figured Windows 3.11 is a bit boring, so I decided to install NT 3.51 on it since I've never used it (let alone installed it). It's proving to be a bit of a challenge which keeps me interested.

My other half thinks I just collect junk. We have an unwritten rule, he doesn't question me about my vintage computer collection, I don't question him about staying up to all hours playing games. It's a good system. :-)

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2017, 04:57:38 am »

It has been patched... http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=493787.0

Note this is a THEME patch, its patching the CSS, not the forum itself. This is a valid workaround, but still not a complete fix.

As to the version running, when you have a forum that has this many people on it, with this many topics & threads, upgrading the forum is a very risky thing as a breakage could cause an outage, or even worse, break part of the website that nobody notices for a few days, which by then ton of data is corrupted/missing or incomplete.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2017, 04:59:12 am »
 :o
iratus parum formica

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2017, 05:01:24 am »

Note this is a THEME patch, its patching the CSS, not the forum itself. This is a valid workaround, but still not a complete fix.

As to the version running, when you have a forum that has this many people on it, with this many topics & threads, upgrading the forum is a very risky thing as a breakage could cause an outage, or even worse, break part of the website that nobody notices for a few days, which by then ton of data is corrupted/missing or incomplete.

I realise, I've been a Linux sysadmin since 2004, you can, however, make a VM and test it there, and if it works, roll it out. I am not a FORUM expert, but I'm a pretty seasoned software person. My way would be to install a mirror of the working/used SMF on a virtual server, apply the CSS patch and see how it rolls. What's worse - allowing a bug you KNOW about to continue unfixed, where there IS a fix available, or have a few hours of downtime for long term benefit?

Anyway, NOT a forum sysadmin and with no desire to be, I'll leave this to people with more experience in forum maintenance, specifically.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 05:03:03 am by switchedmodepowersupply »

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2017, 05:05:45 am »

I've probably got about 8-10 old computers I'd like to have working in my computer room (C64, Atari, old Macintosh's etc...). Among them is just a 486 I had since I was a kid.

I figured Windows 3.11 is a bit boring, so I decided to install NT 3.51 on it since I've never used it (let alone installed it). It's proving to be a bit of a challenge which keeps me interested.

My other half thinks I just collect junk. We have an unwritten rule, he doesn't question me about my vintage computer collection, I don't question him about staying up to all hours playing games. It's a good system. :-)

Awesome, I love the older gear, I had a 486DX something years ago with a Tseng Labs ET6000 when I still in primary school. I won the ET6000 from a computer magazine competition (I think it was APC), and still today I miss that card. I'd love to get my old retro PC back. I think my favorite PC was a 386 I had though and playing the old Sierra adventure games on it with the then brand new Sound Blaster (not the Pro, just the normal one, but I had the FM modules on it).

I also had an Amiga 1000 at one point and later was given an Amiga 2000, but sadly I did not value these machines enough when I was younger and sold them for well below what they were worth.

So now I am running the Sierra titles in ScummVM (which btw is excellent), using Munt as a MT-32 emulator, which is a ton of fun, and memories.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2017, 05:09:30 am »

I realise, I've been a Linux sysadmin since 2004, you can, however, make a VM and test it there, and if it works, roll it out. I am not a FORUM expert, but I'm a pretty seasoned software person. My way would be to install a mirror of the working/used SMF on a virtual server, apply the CSS patch and see how it rolls. What's worse - allowing a bug you KNOW about to continue unfixed, where there IS a fix available, or have a few hours of downtime for long term benefit?

Anyway, NOT a forum sysadmin and with no desire to be, I'll leave this to people with more experience in forum maintenance, specifically.

Thanks.

Yeah, this is all possible and is done in commercial environments, but note that I am giving of my free time to help out here, Dave is also giving of his free time to help out and run all this... You tell me how I am to justify the time and resources to do a test roll out as you describe on a forum like this over paid work.

Also a VM is not required for this, it is much simpler, just duplicate the database, duplicate the forum and point it to the new database, upgrade the duplicated form and test. If all is successful, then apply the same process to the production site, but only after making a backup and informing the entire community there will be a short outage during the upgrade. Even after all of this, things can and do still go wrong, its not like we have a team of 100 testers to work through every feature of the website to find the one obscure feature that broke.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2017, 05:11:07 am »
Awesome, I love the older gear, I had a 486DX something years ago with a Tseng Labs ET6000 when I still in primary school. I won the ET6000 from a computer magazine competition (I think it was APC), and still today I miss that card. I'd love to get my old retro PC back. I think my favorite PC was a 386 I had though and playing the old Sierra adventure games on it with the then brand new Sound Blaster (not the Pro, just the normal one, but I had the FM modules on it).

I also had an Amiga 1000 at one point and later was given an Amiga 2000, but sadly I did not value these machines enough when I was younger and sold them for well below what they were worth.

So now I am running the Sierra titles in ScummVM (which btw is excellent), using Munt as a MT-32 emulator, which is a ton of fun, and memories.

Attached is an action shot as of 5 minutes ago on my messy "bench".

I loved the old Sierra games! Have many fond memories. Not sure if it was Sierra but I used to play "Island of Dr. Brain" as a kid. Sim City 2000 remains my favourite game to this day. What else? Need for Speed, Carmageddon, Jazz Jackrabbit, Epic Pinball, Sim Farm... all good stuff.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2017, 05:12:02 am »

Thanks.

Yeah, this is all possible and is done in commercial environments, but note that I am giving of my free time to help out here, Dave is also giving of his free time to help out and run all this... You tell me how I am to justify the time and resources to do a test roll out as you describe on a forum like this over paid work.

Also a VM is not required for this, it is much simpler, just duplicate the database, duplicate the forum and point it to the new database, upgrade the duplicated form and test. If all is successful, then apply the same process to the production site, but only after making a backup and informing the entire community there will be a short outage during the upgrade. Even after all of this, things can and do still go wrong, its not like we have a team of 100 testers to work through every feature of the website to find the one obscure feature that broke.

Well hey, I can't tell you what to do :) - the bug which my username triggers, doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I am not the one in charge of patching forum code, and I happen to like my username (that's why I chose it.)

Leave it with you :) thanks.

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2017, 05:12:13 am »

It's a test, designed to reveal users with napoleon complex or similar propensities
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf