Author Topic: The nightmare reality price of cars now tracking and selling your every move.  (Read 819 times)

Online BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
See what's going on here:

I think I'll keep my 10 year old car...

And, what's the point of a sports car anymore with this BS.  Of course you are buying such a vehicle for heavy acceleration and braking...  Let alone your data gives the car manufacturer a way out of repairing your vehicle under warranty.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Thankfully, in the EU and UK, it's possible to opt out of all of this - when I got my car I simply unticked the box.  I still get some of the functionality I want, like remote climate control, but none of the associated data collection.

Of course, you have to trust the manufacturer not to abuse this, but the penalties under GDPR are quite high, up to 4% of company revenue for a violation.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
   I try to keep things / interactions on a positive attitude.   But, currently so fed up, with general population being treated like an ethics-free market, to be fed on, like a cattle herd.

Wonder, if the car manufacturing prefers that LEASE / RENT is the only way they want to operate...maybe even gives enough wiggle room, so they can 'monitor' the car and modes of use.

Sarcastically, I've considered the reception I'd get, by REQUIRING anyone who wishes to converse with me;   To create an account and PIN number.   Or hand them a business card, with WEB link, where they can get properly certified with account, to request to speak with me.

Sounds very annoying, but that's the frustration level, as much of the world seems to be moving fast to total exploited customer bases, sign-in required.

But,   I suppose a common traffic COP won't be amused...Still, I could press my demands, for ACCOUNT. -- PASSWORD. -- SIGN IN,
to simply speak with me.

Amusing reflection on the world.

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
Well, boohoohoo, sniff.
I can only laugh at the attitude here.
Today's car buyers expect their cars to be smartphones on wheels and get orgasmic over connectivity, CarPlay, SatNav with dinner menu suggestions, lane assist, brake assist, speed warning etc. And use all that bling-bling as an argument for buying a certain car?
I wonder if drivers are even allowed to have a brain any more.
But you're the folks falling for this... you actually buy those cars! (Get it before your neighbour).

Welcome to reality. Ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

I'll stick to my two Miatas without bling-bling.

The following users thanked this post: Geoff-AU

• Super Contributor
Of course, you have to trust the manufacturer not to abuse this, but the penalties under GDPR are quite high, up to 4% of company revenue for a violation.
But it is still being collected.  And if there ever is a law indecent, all your history will be used against you.

• Super Contributor
Well, boohoohoo, sniff.
Today's car buyers expect their cars to be smartphones on wheels and get orgasmic over connectivity, CarPlay, SatNav with dinner menu suggestions, lane assist, brake assist, speed warning etc. And use all that bling-bling as an argument for buying a certain car?
No, a lot of these features and functions existed already in the mid 2010's before today where all your data including the new camera looking at your face for your expressions while you drive is being fed back to the manufacturer consistently through the cellular network.

And if you cut the antenna or tamper with your data, any accidental insurance claim or warranty issue will be denied.

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
Well, boohoohoo, sniff.
No, a lot of these features and functions existed already in the mid 2010's before today where all your data including the new camera looking at your face for your expressions while you drive is being fed back to the manufacturer consistently through the cellular network.

And if you cut the antenna or tamper with your data, any accidental insurance claim or warranty issue will be denied.

Well, you wanted the bling-bling, so you bought it (hopefully before your neighbour).
Concerning warranty, what is it where you are? A year?
And about insurance, it's a question of whether you want a cheaper deal by letting them monitor you.

But this kind of thing also has some good points: a mom-and-pop industry removing the factory cellular modules. It spreads through the economy.
But most consumers are so lethargic these days that it'll keep running.
Bling-bling wins.

• Super Contributor
And about insurance, it's a question of whether you want a cheaper deal by letting them monitor you.
You got it backwards.  My rates are already cheap.  Monitoring you gives the insurance company at any time valid reason to increase your rates.  My rate would not go lower the moment I get a car with monitoring.

The monitoring helps insurance companies increase their bottom line, not give their clients a better deals.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2024, 12:52:30 am by BrianHG »

The following users thanked this post: Stray Electron

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor

Sarcastically, I've considered the reception I'd get, by REQUIRING anyone who wishes to converse with me;   To create an account and PIN number.   Or hand them a business card, with WEB link, where they can get properly certified with account, to request to speak with me.

Sounds very annoying, but that's the frustration level, as much of the world seems to be moving fast to total exploited customer bases, sign-in required.

But,   I suppose a common traffic COP won't be amused...Still, I could press my demands, for ACCOUNT. -- PASSWORD. -- SIGN IN,
to simply speak with me.

You forgot to include a subscription service, which would come in three tiers; economy, economy-plus and premium, Depending on the level of attention desired. Only $4.99, $7.99 and $11.99 respectively.
Ah! Plus carrier fees and taxes. All conveniently deducted from your credit card every 6 months, with automatic renewal for YOUR convenience. Non transferable, non refundable. We reserve the right to increase the price at 3X to 5X the inflation rate.
Complaints? You can always call us at 1-800-EAT-SHIT, Mondays thru Fridays, 9:30 AM thru 3:00 PM, Fiji local time, where you can have a conversation with our very chatty bot. Your business is very important to us.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
How is that surprising though?

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
Re: The nightmare reality price of cars now tracking and selling your every move.
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2024, 01:52:59 am »
All conveniently deducted from your credit card every 6 months, with automatic renewal for YOUR convenience. Non transferable, non refundable. We reserve the right to increase the price at 3X to 5X the inflation rate.
please note we reserve the right  turn  off the subscription service and make the car inoperable once we feel you've had the vehicle  to long.

The following users thanked this post: Someone, BrianHG

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
Re: The nightmare reality price of cars now tracking and selling your every move.
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2024, 02:15:07 am »
The possibilities are endless.
Like only allowing the windshield wipers to operate at a single speed. You would like the multiple speed and intermittent wipers? That comes bundled with the premium package. 
Or whenever you use the turn signals, ads would play on the speakers. 
After a mandatory software update, you would have to replace all 4 tires, regardless of its condition.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2024, 02:17:05 am by schmitt trigger »

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2024, 02:16:34 am »
   Boohoohoo Lite,   meaning that critical postings replete with 'sarcasm' are offered as expression, rather than the prelude to some road rage, or whatever.

With more thought, the idea is that the automobile is an essential, and not a choice, between frivolous extras, or not.   Here, you just get to surrender.

For example, this web site wants a sign-in system, but does not severely impact someone who declines to participate.   What I mean is that electronics study / comments isn't so critical, as having food supply, (even though EEVBLOG is a great site).

Suppose you could 'sign up' for driver's licence, but the gov insists you have a traffic COP trailing you, every move.   That's an old instinct, to want privacy.   You give up a little bit.

Also different case, when the tracking is so extreme, and uniform in the sense that the trend is to cover everybody (that desires a vehicle).  Rule is:   You give up your privacy, period.
   Good thing, they have steps in place, to protect us, from organized crime gangs....(Oh, yeah.....NOT !)

Almost sounds like some level of risk, to oneself, liable for punishment for supposedly violating someone's 'privacy' like for sending unsolicited ADs.  Laws packaged as helping you, that create MORE risk.

"You wanted all the special DOODADS, so don't complain"....(That's faulty logic IMO).

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2024, 02:24:27 am »

With more thought, the idea is that the automobile is an essential, and not a choice, between frivolous extras, or not.   Here, you just get to surrender.
automobile   essential? says who? Don't own one,don't need one, don't want one,cant even remember the last time i was in one.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2024, 03:27:00 am »
   Suppose you could 'sign up' for driver's licence, but the gov insists you have a traffic COP trailing you, every move.   That's an old instinct, to want privacy.   You give up a little bit.

I would take a live cop trailing me.  At least that cop will see that I had to slam on my brakes here and there legitimately because of an idiot in front of me, or an unforeseen obstacle like a cat or dog running out on the street.

There is no such defense with the current blind data acquisition system where I my brake line fails while still under warranty, the car manufacturer will claim I stepped too hard on the brakes at one or more points in history, so no warranty for you.  You weren't supposed to use our car brakes like that while my insurance company will raise my rates by 10% for every time I braked heavily in the past year.

Even if I choose not to share my data with third party resources, the car manufacturer still can use it for themselves when determining if they should warranty repair my car.

It's like those laptop manufacturers who wont warranty blown speakers if they detected VLC Media Player was installed since it can play audio too loud with its boost feature.  What's next, you played a video with a black and white snowy image, so we wont warranty your monitor or TV since showing snow is too harsh for LCD pixels to modulate so often?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2024, 04:07:41 am by BrianHG »

Offline Bryn

• Regular Contributor
    • mindsConnected
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2024, 07:29:39 am »
With today's technology and how those at the top handle it behind closed doors, this really is of no surprise... everything would invade your privacy these days, even your fridge 😬
mindsConnected
Alternate tech forum for all... recently reopened (as of 15/9/24)
We welcome engineers also!

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
   In light of these things, I contemplated what must be a PITA, to be working driving a big truck, as employees don't have same set of privacy rights.   And, like I've mentioned, if you throw into the situation some organized gang stuff, all kinds of unpleasant can happen.
   Shipping is big business.   Here is a scenario that I made up:
   So, a scruffy fellow is walking by your parked big rig.   Gun goes in your face and you start thinking 'HYJACK !',   but as you go to surrender the driver's seat, scruffy guy says no, pointing his gun, down the road.
   "I need you to smash into the back, of that red car there...or else!"

Now, that's the kinds of corertion that happens, in real crime scenes.   No hijacking this time;   they just need you to hurt somebody, for them...
   Point being, that unauthorized people can hack into all these new, web connected monitors,....including facial I.d.
...(maybe the gang wishes to target a particular driver?....
I just don't feel any sense that such horrible uses are possible, even, in the minds of the builders.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf