Author Topic: Tequipment international order requirements :o  (Read 41279 times)

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
Re: Tequipment international order requirements :o
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2013, 05:46:59 pm »
If what you say is true and products can be ordered within the EU for the same or lower price than ordering from the USA, then there is no need for this thread at all, nor does anyone have any reason to be buying anything from me, or TE or from any of the other thousands of US sellers who ship a lot of product to the EU and internationally.  The fact that about 50% of my business is shipping product internationally means that the suggestion is not true and people are saving money by buying internationally.  They surely aren't doing it because it's fun.

Had you put some effort into reading comprehension then you'd have noticed that I sad electronic most - not all. T&M is one of the remaining areas where buying from the US is often still cheaper than buying locally, at least for individuals, albeit I find more and more opportunities where I can get better deals from Asia.

The idea that prices are higher because the consumer accepts it is silly - and is irreconcilable with the follow-on claim that prices are not higher.  :-//

It's a bit disappointing that someone who claims to trade internationally fails at one of the very basics of global trading, but here you go:

http://www.nber.org/papers/w13239

or

http://www.princeton.edu/~deaton/downloads/spatial_price_differences_in_large_countries%20_10%20jul_2011_complete.pdf

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2013, 06:44:11 pm »
PCI-DSS compliance is not a requirement for other than level 4 merchants.

Wrong! http://www.pcicomplianceguide.org/pcifaqs.php#2

Q: To whom does PCI apply?
A: PCI applies to ALL organizations or merchants, regardless of size or number of transactions, that accepts, transmits or stores any cardholder data. Said another way, if any customer of that organization ever pays the merchant directly using a credit card or debit card, then the PCI DSS requirements apply.

Unless they are a level 4 merchant, they are not breaking their agreement by requesting a copy of the card- and they may not be even if they are a PCI compliant level 4 merchant, if all they are requesting is a copy of the statement showing the mailing address. 

Not true!

...All merchants, small or large, need to be PCI compliant. The payment brands have collectively adopted PCI DSS as the requirement for organizations that process, store or transmit payment cardholder data.

and

Q: Do organizations using third-party processors have to be PCI compliant?
A: Yes. Merely using a third-party company does not exclude a company from PCI compliance. It may cut down on their risk exposure and consequently reduce the effort to validate compliance.  However, it does not mean they can ignore PCI.

You are entitled to your opinion, but if they are asking for a copy of the statement showing billing address, I do not think that unprofessional or moronic at all.

Apparently its not just unprofessional and moronic, it might not even be legal:

https://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs15-mt.htm

What personal information can’t a merchant collect when a consumer pays with a credit card? (Song-Beverly Credit Card Act of 1971)
• Merchants cannot request or require that the consumer write any personal information, including address and telephone number, on any form associated with the credit card transaction when the consumer uses a credit card to pay for goods or services.
• In addition, the merchant cannot ask the consumer to provide personal information that the merchant then records.
• Merchants cannot use forms with pre-printed spaces for personal information.

Are there any exceptions?

Yes. A merchant can collect personal information when:
• The credit card is used as a deposit.                         
• The credit card is used for a cash advance.
• The personal information is needed for something incidental but related to the use of the credit card. An example would be the address to which the purchased product is to be shipped.
• The merchant is required to collect information under a federal law or regulation.
• The merchant is contractually obligated to provide personal identification information in order to complete the credit card transaction.
• The card is used to "pay at the pump" for gasoline, limited to Zip Code information which may be used solely for prevention of fraud, theft, or identity theft.

The idea that sending such would be grossly negligent and rescind a customer's liability protection is bollocks, sorry.

You may think so but the reality is it is indeed plain stupid. That email is completely insecure is a well-known fact, and you really must have spent the last decade or so in a coma to not know that.

In addition, PCI-DSS has very clear requirements when it comes to the handling of CC data, which are violated by Tequipment's procedures.

It comes across to me that you feel that companies who do not do business in a manner you agree with somehow deserve to be ridiculed stupid morons and run out of town.

No, but I think that companies who demonstrate such a huge contempt for the security of their customers and ignorance about even the most basic rules of information security should be named and shamed so that anyone who thinks about dealing with them knows what to expect.

I disagree.  I think everyone ought to be free to buy from them or not.  I also disagree that it protects them from nothing.  Most crime is crime of opportunity.  Most credit card fraud comes from people who had the card in their possession (like a petrol station attendant or a server at a restaurant).  That card information gets copied and used - often online.  In most cases, the thief does not have the billing address, and likely would not know what the statement was supposed to look like.  Furthermore, if pressed to provide such, most thieves will move on to an easier target rather than attempt to keep the scam alive. 

You're a bit stuck in the 90's I fear. FYI: a lot of stolen CC data comes from fishing or break-ins into inadequately secured systems (one of the more noteworthy of recently was the Sony PSN hack). That means that criminals get most of the data they need, including birth date and full address details.

If Tequipment wants to protect themselves against fraud then they could just ask their payment provider to check if the transaction is genuine. This would trigger a request to the customer's CC provider to contact their customer and verify the transaction. Simple, efficient, and effective. I would guess most customers wouldn't mind to wait a few days instead of having to give up sensitive data over insecure email.

In addition, and aside from that photos of a CC and a scan of a statement prove nothing except the merchant's incompetence, I question the claimed need for international orders because Tequipment apparently thinks that CC fraud is much more likely abroad. It isn't. In fact:

US is main source of EU credit card fraud - Europol
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20945810

The report can be found here:
https://www.europol.europa.eu/sites/default/.../1public_full_20_sept.pdf

In fact, it seems US CC fraud rates are at a similar levels as other Strongholds of Highly Secure Banking like Mexico, and even worse than China!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/halahtouryalai/2012/10/22/countries-with-the-most-card-fraud-u-s-and-mexico/

When sellers like Tequipment do stupid things like asking customers to provide all their details over insecure plain text email, this is not really surprising, is it?

If also comes across to me as quite arrogant for us to imagine that all of these large companies who enact such measures are simply too stupid to think it through and understand that it does nothing to protect them

Yeah, well, that's the thing: none of the large US companies do shit like that, they know that they are much more likely to be defrauded in the US than from their international customers, they take PCI-DSS seriously, and know how to use the wide range of legitimate fraud protection measures that are available to merchants.

It's just some of the small shops that think they could get away with an amateurish and laissez-faire approach to trading, that laws and regulations don't apply to them and who don't understand that they have to adapt to their customers and not vice versa.

Going back to the restaurant analogy - I don't feel the need to go to local restaurants I don't like and tell them I will not be dining there.

Yes, but again you miss the point that we're not discussing this on Tequipment premises. This is not Tequipment's forum, they are not the landlord here.

Interesting that people always categorize Americans (second time this thread).  Especially so considering the quantity of misinformation being tossed about in the thread, and the link from a prior poster illustrating that a Dutch company was doing exactly the same thing.  There goes that theory!

You mean as Tequipment and you suggest that non-American buyers are much more likely to be fraudsters than Americans (which apparently is wrong anyways, as we've seen!)? Let's talk about categorizing again, shall we?

But at the end of the day, I highlight American companies for the simple reason that I only have seen such dodgy methods with US sellers. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure there are enough black sheep in other countries as well, but in this thread we are talking about the dodgy methods of a certain US reseller (Tequipment). I'm sure should any non-American seller act similarly that we'll see a similar thread about them.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 07:07:58 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2013, 07:24:21 pm »
The idea that prices are higher because the consumer accepts it is silly
Not at all. The phenomenon is called "perceived value" and it is a rather fundamental thing.

What about backing up what you said regarding places where the vendor is guaranteed payment?  I'd very much like an explanation of that statement.

It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2013, 07:38:47 pm »

Had you put some effort into reading comprehension then you'd have noticed that I sad electronic most - not all. T&M is one of the remaining areas where buying from the US is often still cheaper than buying locally, at least for individuals, albeit I find more and more opportunities where I can get better deals from Asia.

The idea that prices are higher because the consumer accepts it is silly - and is irreconcilable with the follow-on claim that prices are not higher.  :-//

So, on an electronics forum, where we are debating the purchasing mechanisms of test gear, your statement that "most electronics gear" can be had in the EU for the same price was not referring to test gear, and it was my failure in not understanding that?  I guess "most test gear is cheaper" must be like "most credit card statements say you can't send images" - as in "complete bollocks but I'll say it anyway"  :-DD

It's a bit disappointing that someone who claims to trade internationally fails at one of the very basics of global trading, but here you go:

http://www.nber.org/papers/w13239

or

http://www.princeton.edu/~deaton/downloads/spatial_price_differences_in_large_countries%20_10%20jul_2011_complete.pdf

You just proved my point.  If you read your own linked article, you will see what nowhere does it state "consumers just accept it" as a reason for prices being higher in Europe. 

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2013, 08:19:24 pm »

But at the end of the day, I highlight American companies for the simple reason that I only have seen such dodgy methods with US sellers. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure there are enough black sheep in other countries as well, but in this thread we are talking about the dodgy methods of a certain US reseller (Tequipment). I'm sure should any non-American seller act similarly that we'll see a similar thread about them.

I don't have the time or motivation to perform the same level of Googling as I think you are doing to push your point.   It is my experience that many engineer/technical people have a level of inherent distrust of sales/marketing types and even sometimes have a chip on their shoulder towards such.  I believe some of that is coming through in this thread.

A few points, however.

1) I was mistaken - PCI compliance is required for all vendors except Level 4.  It's written on your own link that level 4 merchants are at the discretion of their payment processor.  I know this to be true because Wells Fargo and Card Services International both do not require PCI compliance for level 4 vendors.

2) California laws apply only in California - and the law does not say that a vendor may not require the customer to furnish additional data.

3) Per your earlier claims, I believe your statements that your card agreements specifically prohibit you from sending an image of your card are untrue.  It is not likely that someone would be so familiar with their card agreement that they could quote such a clause off the cuff.  Furthermore, here's the proof

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/credit-cards/agreements/

Anyone can search for "image" or "transmit" or whatever terms they like and see that the claim that it's spelled out in your agreement is bollocks.  Also, the follow on claim that sending the data TE requires would be "gross negligence" and cases have been won and lost in court over this is further bollocks - again, it is not reasonable that someone would be so familiar with the subject as to know of such cases off the cuff.

It is my observation that people have various beliefs and often represent those beliefs are being factually true... when questioned, they get irritated and scour the internet for data to support their beliefs.  My comments on this thread are coming from experience.  I have a merchant account that I pay a $30 monthly additional PCI-non-compliance fee for, and that's why I know PCI compliance is not mandatory.  I've had to ask the question of Visa, MasterCard and Amex before if I can/should verify the address of an international customer and been told that it's OK and reasonable to do so - which is why I know that is allowed. 

I think there is an overwhelming amount of "I think it's true therefore I will state it as factually true" going on in this thread.  Examples being the claims of "most credit card agreements say...." when they do not, and "lots of court cases wound up as...", when they do not.   And "equipment isn't even cheaper there" when it is, and so on.

And the sad part of that is it all takes away from the actual issue at hand.  Some folks are unable to overcome their angst that a vendor wants to avoid losing money that they are putting logic by the wayside.  The story about the dutch company asking for copies of the card prove that the prior claims of "how come these American companies..." false. 

At the end of the day, TE is free to enact whatever policies they like in doing business.  And people are free to buy from them or not.  It seems they want to make things as easy as possible, but some folks are intent on running them off the forum.  I think they ought to just mandate that all shipments by by FedEx or UPS, then I can have a laugh at the ensuing squealing  :-DD

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2013, 08:25:27 pm »
hahh lol if i could have anything electronics related here even in pad with euro not our currency for the same price as the us i would buy here the stuffs but when most of the shops charge the same number everywhere just the currency changes thats pisses me off cos there is a huge difference between usd,GBP,euro, they mostly dont brother to cenvert it properly just use the same number and use the local currency this way they earn more profit.... be it consumer electronics or specialized gear

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2013, 08:28:39 pm »
hahh lol if i could have anything electronics related here even in pad with euro not our currency for the same price as the us i would buy here the stuffs but when most of the shops charge the same number everywhere just the currency changes thats pisses me off cos there is a huge difference between usd,GBP,euro, they mostly dont brother to cenvert it properly just use the same number and use the local currency this way they earn more profit.... be it consumer electronics or specialized gear

Wait, haven't you heard?  Most electronics gear costs the same in Europe as the USA!  You and I must shop on different websites where the EU prices are higher  :o  It's our own fault anyway for accepting those prices - it's not about the costs for the vendor!  :-DD

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2013, 08:39:12 pm »
At the end of the day, TE is free to enact whatever policies they like in doing business.
Are they really? I find that very hard to believe.

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2013, 08:39:35 pm »
yeah lol. just look at the farnell prices, ohh and i forgot they charge vat on top of that same number as used in america for pricing of the item it doesnt matter what, everything is done the same, i bought my fluke 289 fvf kit from the local distributor here, cos the eu prices and that converted to our, it reached over 850 usd converted back from our currency its a damn huge difference just for an example and its mostly due to the usdprice->eur->*local vat. after this its mostly 1.5x the usd price sometimes 2 times

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2013, 08:41:21 pm »
What about backing up what you said regarding places where the vendor is guaranteed payment?  I'd very much like an explanation of that statement.
Can you read Danish legal texts?

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2013, 09:03:42 pm »
Can you read Danish legal texts?

No, I do not speak Danish.  But anything can be translated.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2013, 09:07:18 pm »
At the end of the day, TE is free to enact whatever policies they like in doing business.
Are they really? I find that very hard to believe.

Of course.  Any company may conduct business however they like provided they operate within the law.  And as you proved earlier, they are allowed to request a copy of the card if they want to.  Do you think TE is obligated to sell to you or anyone else in the manner of the customers choosing? 

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2013, 05:56:17 am »
1) I was mistaken - PCI compliance is required for all vendors except Level 4.  It's written on your own link that level 4 merchants are at the discretion of their payment processor.  I know this to be true because Wells Fargo and Card Services International both do not require PCI compliance for level 4 vendors.

Are you sure?

Q: What are the PCI compliance deadlines?
A: All merchant that stores, processes or transmits cardholder data must be compliant now.  However, as a Level 4 merchant, you will have to refer to your merchant bank for their specific validation requirements and deadlines.

and

Q: What does a small-to-medium sized business (Level 4 merchant) have to do in order to satisfy the PCI requirements? A: To satisfy the requirements of PCI, a merchant must complete the following steps:
• Identify your Validation Type as defined by PCI DSS.  This is used to determine which Self Assessment Questionnaire is appropriate for your business. 
• Complete the Self-Assessment Questionnaire according to the instructions in the Self- Assessment Questionnaire Instructions and Guidelines.
• Complete and obtain evidence of a passing vulnerability scan with a PCI SSC Approved Scanning Vendor (ASV).  Note scanning does not apply to all merchants.  It is required for Validation Type 4 and 5 – those merchants with external facing IP addresses.  Basically if you electronically store cardholder information or if your processing systems have any internet connectivity, a quarterly scan by an approved scanning vendor is required.
• Complete the relevant Attestation of Compliance in its entirety (located in the SAQ tool).
• Submit the SAQ, evidence of a passing scan (if applicable), and the Attestation of Compliance, along with any other requested documentation, to your acquirer.

and (again) most importantly:

• I’m a small merchant with very few card transactions; do I need to be compliant with PCI DSS?
All merchants, small or large, need to be PCI compliant. The payment brands have collectively adopted PCI DSS as the requirement for organizations that process, store or transmit payment cardholder data.

2) California laws apply only in California

Had you actually read what was written on the link I provided then you might have noticed this:

The remaining information in this section pertains specifically to California, except for the section entitled “Paying by Credit Card: MasterCard and Visa Rules,” which applies nationwide.

They are talking about this section:

2b. Paying by Credit Card:  MasterCard and Visa Rules

Can merchants accepting MasterCard or Visa require customers to show a driver’s license or other identification as a condition of credit card acceptance?

While merchants may ask a customer for identification, in most situations, a merchant may not condition acceptance of a Visa or MasterCard credit card upon the customer presenting identification. In other words, you can refuse to provide identification, and the merchant still must accept your credit card. Many merchants are unaware of this rule or simply choose to ignore it.

Be aware that identification may be required for purposes other than the credit card transaction, for example, when purchasing alcohol, tobacco products, or certain medications. Identification may also be required for unusual transactions flagged during the authorization process.

3) Per your earlier claims, I believe your statements that your card agreements specifically prohibit you from sending an image of your card are untrue.  It is not likely that someone would be so familiar with their card agreement that they could quote such a clause off the cuff.  Furthermore, here's the proof

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/credit-cards/agreements/

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately this is "An official website of the United States Government" and irrelevant as it covers US CC agrements. Most non-US customers will however have a CC from their local CC provider.

In addition, it's not that asking for images of the CC is the problem (PCI-DSS allows asking for images of the front of th card), however requiring that customers send this via plain text email together with further sensitive data is not just a violation of PCI-DSS (which requires transmissions to be secure and certified!), it's just plain stupid. If the latter isn't obvious for you then please go ans ask someone who knows something about computers (you have IT staff in your company I suppose?) to tell you why sending sensitive data over email is not much better than posting the scans on an open website.

Anyone can search for "image" or "transmit" or whatever terms they like and see that the claim that it's spelled out in your agreement is bollocks.

Yes, for US T&C maybe. Relevant for US citizens, not for customers from abroad. And probably one of the many reasons for the large amount of CC fraud in the US.

Also, the follow on claim that sending the data TE requires would be "gross negligence" and cases have been won and lost in court over this is further bollocks - again, it is not reasonable that someone would be so familiar with the subject as to know of such cases off the cuff.

Well, since I'm both an Engineer and some of the time a sales guy, I tend to read that stuff. I haven't recorded the case numbers but I'll see if I can find the references. But beware, these are cases that happened in Europe, not the US.

It is my observation that people have various beliefs and often represent those beliefs are being factually true... when questioned, they get irritated and scour the internet for data to support their beliefs.

No, the links are there to support what I said, period. And especially the onces about PCI-DSS compliance are directly from the source.

I don't cite just some odd blog that happen to say the same I do.

My comments on this thread are coming from experience.

And still you were obviously wrong on so many levels (PCI-DSS compliance requirements, fraud levels US vs rest of the world). It seems in fact that you're so overconfident in yyourself that you're dismissing everything which says to the contrary as bollocks.

And, quite frankly, in this day and age it is highly embarrassing for any merchant who deals internationally to not know that plain text email in inadequate for sending sensitive data, and I would expect him to know about very basic marketing stuff like market-adaptive pricing.

No, they are not. They are bound by laws and regulations in their country, and as a merchant accepting CC payments they are also bound to be PCI-DSS compliant (not necessarily certified, but they must be compliant, period).

In addition, anyone who is at least on a basic level computer-literate knows why sensing CC data over email is a very stupid idea, it's a fact like the one that the sun goes up every day. That you obviously don't know is either a lack of knowledge in an important area or willfull ignorance to the detriment of your customers.

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2013, 06:59:46 am »
Any company may conduct business however they like provided they operate within the law.
Within the law, yes. And, as has been pointed out by other posters, within the other rules and agreements they have entered into with payment providers, etc.

And as you proved earlier, they are allowed to request a copy of the card if they want to.
No, I quoted a representitive for saying that it was within the rules in DK. That doesn't tell us anything about whether it is okay for tequipment.net. I happen to think that it probably is. I also agree with the representative that it is an ill adviced strategy.

Do you think TE is obligated to sell to you or anyone else in the manner of the customers choosing?
That depends on US law and TE's obligations. As Wuerstchenhund wrote, "you can refuse to provide identification, and the merchant still must accept your credit card."

What TE ought to do is to use 3-D Secure (Verified by Visa, Mastercard Secure Code, etc.)
It offers them a far more reliable check of the authenticity than any number of possibly bogus scanned printouts. It doesn't have to cost them anything extra and it will save everybody involved time.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2013, 07:34:40 am »

Had you actually read what was written on the link I provided then you might have noticed this:

The remaining information in this section pertains specifically to California, except for the section entitled “Paying by Credit Card: MasterCard and Visa Rules,” which applies nationwide.

They are talking about this section:

2b. Paying by Credit Card:  MasterCard and Visa Rules

Can merchants accepting MasterCard or Visa require customers to show a driver’s license or other identification as a condition of credit card acceptance?

While merchants may ask a customer for identification, in most situations, a merchant may not condition acceptance of a Visa or MasterCard credit card upon the customer presenting identification. In other words, you can refuse to provide identification, and the merchant still must accept your credit card. Many merchants are unaware of this rule or simply choose to ignore it.

Be aware that identification may be required for purposes other than the credit card transaction, for example, when purchasing alcohol, tobacco products, or certain medications. Identification may also be required for unusual transactions flagged during the authorization process.

You said (and I quote) "might not even be legal".  As I have already stated but you have failed to understand, legality is defined by the law, not by contracts.  What Visa and MasterCard rules state (your text above) are not law, they are VISA/MC rules.  You posted the California law link as "proof" that it may not be legal.  You were wrong. 

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately this is "An official website of the United States Government" and irrelevant as it covers US CC agrements. Most non-US customers will however have a CC from their local CC provider.

You stated that most credit card rules prohibit the customer from sending images of their card.  I stated that I have a Santander, Amex and RBS (all European) cards, and a US Amex, Visa, and MasterCard.  I scan my card argreements (among lots of other obscure but potentially important information) and keep them in a folder on my cloud drive.  It was trivial for me to quickly check my contracts and none of them state that I am prohibited from sending such information.  Furthermore, I have linked to a database of over 300 searchable credit card agreements, not a single one of which contains anything about sending digital images of one's card.  Therefore I have proven your claim that "most cards" have such language false, and I believe you fabricated your claim that your cards have clauses that prohibit sending images.  Let me know who your cards are with and I will try to get a copy of their T&C, if you want to continue to argue this point.

Well, since I'm both an Engineer and some of the time a sales guy, I tend to read that stuff. I haven't recorded the case numbers but I'll see if I can find the references. But beware, these are cases that happened in Europe, not the US.

I'll wait for the proof.

And still you were obviously wrong on so many levels (PCI-DSS compliance requirements, fraud levels US vs rest of the world). It seems in fact that you're so overconfident in yyourself that you're dismissing everything which says to the contrary as bollocks.

And, quite frankly, in this day and age it is highly embarrassing for any merchant who deals internationally to not know that plain text email in inadequate for sending sensitive data, and I would expect him to know about very basic marketing stuff like market-adaptive pricing.

You are drastically overstating your case. You've put forth false information that you have presented as factual, and you have presented your position is so inarguable that anyone who would disagree would have to be "moronic".  It is a mistake that engineers often make in the pursuit of technical accuracy while they disregard how things actually work in business.  Case in point... you have stated that requesting a copy of a card statement is illegal (false), adds no validation (false), is trivial to fake (false), is against your card rules (false), does not help prevent fraud and on and on.  Yet many merchants do exactly this.  Rather than accept that these are intelligent people who know something about running a business, you presume to know more and presume that all their efforts are for naught.  But you've also presented falsehoods as facts in presenting your side, which undermines your whole argument.  Not to mention the fact that many vendors freely choose this course of action, and they aren't doing it simply because they have nothing better to do, or because they don't know as much about running their businesses as an engineer in a foreign country.

Also, "you were wrong about fraud levels for US vs rest of world" - another fabrication.  I stated to the other poster "Tepe" that part of what TE was working against was the reason for higher prices.  You claimed I was stating that EU card fraud was higher than US which is something I never said. 

I was incorrect in what merchants were required to maintain PCI compliance and I have accepted my error.  I think it's time you do the same regarding your errors.

No, they are not. They are bound by laws and regulations in their country, and as a merchant accepting CC payments they are also bound to be PCI-DSS compliant (not necessarily certified, but they must be compliant, period).

In addition, anyone who is at least on a basic level computer-literate knows why sensing CC data over email is a very stupid idea, it's a fact like the one that the sun goes up every day. That you obviously don't know is either a lack of knowledge in an important area or willfull ignorance to the detriment of your customers.

I think it goes without saying that "free to do business as they want" implies compliant with the law.  Why would you feel the need to debate that point and say "no, they must be compliant with the law"?  Did you think I was stating they don't have to comply with laws?

As for the complaining about the insecurity of email....  Such thinking is why someone who rationalizes things this way would spend countless time and money developing the most robust and secure electronic system they can conceive of to ensure credit card security (to the detriment of time and cost) - while then taking an order and card number by phone.  Or arguing that sending a scan of one's credit card statement will compromise their security and is intolerable, while handing over the same card to a waitress in a restaurant. 

The vast majority of credit card thefts are from people who had access to the card (servers at restaurants, etc).  The card is usually quickly used for some purchases, without the card ever being present.  That is why a vendor such as TE requesting additional information - like a copy of a statement - is preventing many fraudulent transactions by requesting such.  That someone could intercept their email and steal the partial image of a card statement is irrelevant to all but someone overstating their case on the Internet.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 08:20:14 am by Corporate666 »

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2013, 08:15:37 am »
Any company may conduct business however they like provided they operate within the law.
Within the law, yes. And, as has been pointed out by other posters, within the other rules and agreements they have entered into with payment providers, etc.

If we want to be technically accurate, they are only required to comply with the law.  Everything else is a contract between private parties.  So a vendor is not required to accept a credit card at all.  But I think we agree - TE or any other vendor is free to accept an order from you or me or anyone else... or not. 

And as you proved earlier, they are allowed to request a copy of the card if they want to.
No, I quoted a representitive for saying that it was within the rules in DK. That doesn't tell us anything about whether it is okay for tequipment.net. I happen to think that it probably is. I also agree with the representative that it is an ill adviced strategy.[/quote]

For the avoidance of further doubt:

http://usa.visa.com/download/merchants/card-acceptance-guidelines-for-visa-merchants.pdf

Page 56 states that for international transactions where AVS is not available, the merchant should take further steps to verify the address.  Page 64 states that some warning signs include first time customers, and requests to ship to international destinations.  Page 65 states the obvious - that a merchant should trust their instincts, and what is not stated directly, but is true, is that if a vendor ships to an unverified address (which means anything outside the USA/Canada where AVS does not work), then they are liable for a chargeback.  The vendor is not required to take any order... so they can cancel it for any reason they like.

What TE ought to do is to use 3-D Secure (Verified by Visa, Mastercard Secure Code, etc.)
It offers them a far more reliable check of the authenticity than any number of possibly bogus scanned printouts. It doesn't have to cost them anything extra and it will save everybody involved time.

Well, congratulations, I think you are the first poster who has suggested something that actually helps the situation!  :o

I agree, 3D secure would be a good option.  Unfortunately, not all card issuers support it - so if TE made it a requirement, it would mean some/many customers would not be able to buy.  Showing a copy of their statement is something all customers are able to do - although the "customer satisfaction" of both is obviously a contentious issue.  3D secure does also add additional cost to the vendor.

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2013, 10:50:39 am »
I agree, 3D secure would be a good option.  Unfortunately, not all card issuers support it - so if TE made it a requirement, it would mean some/many customers would not be able to buy.  Showing a copy of their statement is something all customers are able to do - although the "customer satisfaction" of both is obviously a contentious issue.  3D secure does also add additional cost to the vendor.
Excellent example of how things are different in different parts of the world.
I do not pay my provider extra for 3-D Secure. We can't handle card transactions over the phone. They have to be handled electronically. Even a physical shop is not allowed use a manual imprinter here (since Januray 1, 2008 ).
And CC statements don't exist.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 10:24:55 am by Tepe »

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2013, 10:57:08 pm »
Or arguing that sending a scan of one's credit card statement will compromise their security and is intolerable, while handing over the same card to a waitress in a restaurant. 

The vast majority of credit card thefts are from people who had access to the card (servers at restaurants, etc).

Hmm - you are aware that in many places, paying by card in person (in a restaurant, a shop, etc.) no longer involves giving someone else your card at all, right?  I can't remember the last time anybody but me touched any of my credit cards...

Offline smoothtalker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2013, 03:06:21 am »
heads-up guys, Tequipment is still discriminating against international buyers. I've tried making a purchase recently and they kept asking me for credit details like some criminal. I gave up talking to them and requested cancellation of my order.

I then placed another identical order using a USA based Amex. Again, the same old nonsense happened, they shoot me an email asking for credit details claiming i'm some fraud case.

My purchase amount was only $100. A company of their size is afraid of losing $100? and risking their reputation by accusing someone of fraud? Ridiculous. My country has a credit rating of AAA by S&P and Moody's. Much better ratings than Tequipment I'm sure. joke.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 03:12:55 pm by smoothtalker »

Offline tequipment

• Regular Contributor
    • TEquipment
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2013, 04:27:49 am »
Everyone...

I dont know how to be more honest.  We get a lot of fraud overseas.  We love our customers.  We do.  I would like to sell items and make it easier.  Even with our requirements we lose money sometimes.  I would love it if everyone is honest. 

Tell me how to make it easier yet not lose my shirt in the process.  I am very open to ideas.

Thanks
Evan Cirelli

TEquipment.NET
http://www.tequipment.net/vice-president-biography/

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2013, 11:59:29 am »
In the EU it is not common to use a credit card. Many people don't even have one or find it clumsy to use (as you have noticed already). That is the first thing a US company needs to realise when doing business in the EU. In quite a few EU countries there are local online payment systems (called iDeal in the Netherlands) which are instant wire transfers which cannot be reversed. You could ask a web-payment provider to handle these kind of transactions for your website. In the last two years a lot of webshops in Europe moved away from Paypal and use payment providers which support a wide variety of these instant wire transfers. The instant wire transfer systems have become the defacto standard in some countries. For example the iDeal system in the Netherlands handled over 7 billion Euros worth of transactions in 2011. Another option is to accept wire transfers directly but these are sooo slow in the US.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 12:05:26 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline tequipment

• Regular Contributor
    • TEquipment
« Reply #121 on: December 19, 2013, 03:06:11 am »
Yeah we can do wires but there is a 20 dollar bank fee when we take a wire.  We will do wires and can send a proforma.  However most people dont want to send wires unless its an ongoing business relationship.  I'll look into the method you described.

Offline smoothtalker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2013, 04:11:44 pm »
Evan,

Actually I was pretty mad over how Tequipment handled my case. My email to you receive no reply. Very poor attitude. But I understand your concerns over fraud, and I will not comment further on that.

Actually.. I managed to bypass your fraud protection system while overseas. :) But you're lucky, I'm not a fraud case. I am a genuine customer (soon to be gone). 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 04:51:37 pm by smoothtalker »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2013, 07:52:08 pm »
The deal has to be very good to get something cheaper from the US anyway. If I order a Rigol DS1074Z from Tequipment it costs €579,- including delivery, customs charges and VAT. If I order it from Batronix it costs me €535,50
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf