Author Topic: Taking audiophoolery to the extreme  (Read 14824 times)

Offline leppieTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Taking audiophoolery to the extreme
« on: January 05, 2015, 11:12:06 am »
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/hificritic/vol5_no3/listening_to_storage.htm
In a quick personal ranking to date, covering all these tests, my notes put the Kingston SSD's sound quality first
It could sustain pace and drive, and gave body and richness to music where the Kingston SSD, for example, had been heard as limpid and lightweight.
:palm: :-DD

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: Taking audiophoolery to the extreme
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 11:18:28 am »
 :-DD

You couldn't make this shit up, doh, I guess they did.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 11:28:33 am »

What's the utility one gets pounding a deadhorse?

However ridiculous it may be, it is his/her personal taste and his/her own money / resources wasted.

What do YOU get? Showing off your superior intellect? .....

I am sure you can spend your time somewhere else.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 11:31:37 am »

However ridiculous it may be, it is his/her personal taste and his/her own money / resources wasted.

First day back at work and not much going on...

I thought it was funny, and it has nothing to show off any intellect, not even sure how you got that idea...  :-//

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 11:41:37 am »

The sad thing is they didn't make it up, they actually believe they can hear the difference  :palm:

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 11:51:48 am »

First day back at work and not much going on...

I thought it was funny, and it has nothing to show off any intellect, not even sure how you got that idea...  :-//

2 sides to it.
1) Yes, its comical to see people suggesting that different storage devices will provide different digital data though a series of buffered interfaces.

2) Most the "lol audiophiles" or even threads about audio on here turn into posting links to $5000 power cables, stone power strips, $500 rocks, and people commenting 'lol audiophile r so dum, we r so much smart-r then them'  And people like http://xkcd.com/386/

every
single
thread.

So while there isnt anything particularly offensive, annoying or bad about what you posted (I skimmed, cracked a smile, rolled eyes a tad), It will devolve into the same shit-show within 2-3 pages. 

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 12:00:00 pm »
So while there isnt anything particularly offensive, annoying or bad about what you posted (I skimmed, cracked a smile, rolled eyes a tad), It will devolve into the same shit-show within 2-3 pages.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 12:00:35 pm »
:-DD

No double-blind testing as usual... despite the fact that using a NAS probably makes it even easier to do that.

Offline LoyalServant

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 12:03:08 pm »
Oh my god more audiophools.

This Corsair drive (another SSD) conspicuously highlighted vocal sibilants, and had a hard, relentless quality that was impossible to miss.

WHAT?!?!?!?!??!?
 |O |O |O |O |O |O

:wtf:

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 12:06:47 pm »

If someone wants to waste their money that's fine but when they have a website geared towards ripping people off and spreading audiophool propaganda then calling them out is the right thing to do.

No, we'd rather have a laugh at their expense and hopefully prevent them from ripping other people off.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 05:53:40 pm »

First off, I get the satisfaction that when someone searches for "Does my HDD affect my audio?" then more than one source will pop up, one side containing engineers, scientists and similar, saying NO, the other side will contain nutjobs selling diamond optical cable, golden cables, crystals which you should affix to your ceiling to improve sound quality and a giant bag of manure because if you're stupid enough to pay 10k$/m cable then you'll buy anything labeled "It really works!". Adding relevant (in my opinion) opinions and information to the internet is it's own reward.

Second, I get to see the new depths that man is willing to go to sell crap and make a quick buck through scams and with that I get to appreciate good actual engineering some more rather than snake oil vendors.

Third: this dead horse deserves to be pounded again and again until people (customers of crapsellers) realize that it IS a dead horse and STOP BUYING SCAMMY PRODUCTS - while it may not be as critical here (here only a wealthy nutjob pays 100kUSD for a piece of dubious engineering), there are other areas where the general public needs to be taught to apply critical thinking - be it curing cancer with bleach and crystals and orogonite, buying "medical devices" of dubious origin, purpose and repeatability, or bomb detectors made from an antennae and marketing.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 06:45:33 pm »
I think that a big part of audiophoolery is a conscious scam (that is, a business model).
Salesmen tell things that are 1) so vague that you cannot argue/dispute/prove/disprove them directly, 2) yet at the same time they create "positive feeling". They target specific market segment with this tactic and it is successful so far.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 02:47:34 am »

Fighting willing ignorance is not pounding a dead horse. The woowoos and believers don't stop. If the opposers of woowoo and BS stop shooting it down then the scammers and ignorance win by default. There is no harm or waste of time debunking BS, it does have effect for those who have never seen the opposing view.

Offline steve_w

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 05:55:29 am »
If anybody needs to build a dickhead I know where to find a blueprint
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 06:21:21 am »

The sad thing is they didn't make it up, they actually believe they can hear the difference  :palm:

Hello? Yes, my tap water hasn't been sparkling quite as nicely as it used to...  ;)
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 06:27:02 am »
I think that a big part of audiophoolery is a conscious scam (that is, a business model).
Salesmen tell things that are 1) so vague that you cannot argue/dispute/prove/disprove them directly, 2) yet at the same time they create "positive feeling". They target specific market segment with this tactic and it is successful so far.

I don't think this is a scan but filling a need, the need to feel special, unique and discerning, above the crowd (see the Narcissism of small differences). With a scam the victim eventually figure out he was scammed. Here it's different, but as long as they do it on their own dime, who cares. I am more concerned about people that subsidize their pet causes with my tax money.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 06:28:35 am »
Oh my god more audiophools.

This Corsair drive (another SSD) conspicuously highlighted vocal sibilants, and had a hard, relentless quality that was impossible to miss.

WHAT?!?!?!?!??!?
 |O |O |O |O |O |O

:wtf:

Ah yes, a vintage 2014 Corsair drive with the Vishay decoupling caps on the main ASIC. Don't EVER buy one with the Panasonic decoupling caps, throw it in the trash, don't even bother to return it, it's not worth your time and they'd never understand.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 03:39:32 pm by Stonent »
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline steve_w

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 10:19:13 am »
Whats a sibilant?

So long and thanks for all the fish

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 10:21:21 am »
Whats a sibilant?

A fancy word to make them sound clever. Google says it means 'hissing'

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 10:35:49 am »
Whats a sibilant?

A fancy word to make them sound clever. Google says it means 'hissing'
When did sibilant become a fancy word? Have people's vocabularies shrunk that much?

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 10:53:52 am »

I don't think this is a scan but filling a need, the need to feel special, unique and discerning, above the crowd (see the Narcissism of small differences). With a scam the victim eventually figure out he was scammed. Here it's different, but as long as they do it on their own dime, who cares. I am more concerned about people that subsidize their pet causes with my tax money.
No, it's a scam, preying on the uneducated. Here are some quotes from people on another forum confessing to making audiophool purchases:

http://hddaudio.net/viewtopic.php?id=417
But I did pay over £100 for some cones made out of a composite material to put under my Audiolab amps because the dealer told me they would dramatically improve the soundstage. I did not even know what a soundstage was, but sure enough they improved it....NOT! What did I do with them when I saw the light - I sold them on ebay to some other sucker - shame on me

I have now had my 9.1s and sub for one week, and that has given me experience enough to say that i regret buying all of the Naim kit that i had. Come the end including the stand (Naim Fraim) it totalled an RRP of approx £12000. For less than £2000 (plus the computer i am using as a source), i am enjoying my music collection more via the ADMs than i ever did before with the Naim kit.

I am embarrased to say it but as the Naim sheep that i was, my single most regretful purchase was the Naim HiLine din-din interconnect, ONLY £450(ish). I tried convincing myself it sounded better with it in the system, but truth was i couldnt tell.

£125 on a "Base" isolation platform for my turntable, which at the time made it sound so much better.................in truth, which I accepted a couple of years later, it made no difference at all.

I did buy a pure silver interconnect many years ago.
Cost £300, total waste of money.
http://hddaudio.net/viewtopic.php?id=417

Although we like to have a laugh about it, the reality isn't so funny. People are hurt by these scammers. What annoys me more is some people here (not mentioning any names but one has already responded to this thread) seem to support these fraudsters.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 12:05:51 pm by Hero999 »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 11:26:58 am »
No, it's a scam, preying on the uneducated.

You dont have to uneducated to think the same file on 2 different storages (HDD/SSD/network/etc) will sound different. You have to be complete f*ckin moron to think that!

I can understand how people fall for the other stuff, but this is taking the bull to a new level.

As an experiment, I asked my uneducated wife if she thought it would sound different, she said no.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 12:03:13 pm »
I thought it was funny

Funny but in a sad way.

End of the day, money that bought happiness is money well spent, whether it actually enhances the (physical) "sound" is 2ndary. Who are we to say that someone a world away shall or shall not spend money in a way just because we approve or disapprove it?

You dont have to uneducated to think the same file on 2 different storages (HDD/SSD/network/etc) will sound different.

It depends on what you meant by "different", as someone famous said some years ago that you can never cross the same river twice.

The point is that there is very few things in that world that are that absolute.

my uneducated wife

I am sure you didn't mean it but "uneducated" can be a derogatory word and she may not appreciate your using it to describe her.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 12:05:12 pm »
my uneducated wife
I am sure you didn't mean it but "uneducated" can be a derogatory word and she may not appreciate your using it to describe her.
She calls me an arsehole (and worse), I am pretty safe on that front  ;D

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2015, 12:26:44 pm »
Well, that sounds like a resilient relationship. Good for you all.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf