Author Topic: Take a look at these new Field effect rectifiers from ST-Microelectronics.  (Read 4128 times)

Offline BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Impressive forward voltage drop of only 0.31v at 10 amps and 0.42v at 20 amps.

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/diodes-and-rectifiers/field-effect-rectifiers/ferd40u45c.html

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
Re: Take a look at these new Field effect rectifiers from ST-Microelectronics.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 09:20:22 pm »
100 mA reverse leakage when hot, 4000 pF at low voltage, and absolutely no AC performance data.

Well, I'd like to know more about it....

Jon

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 09:32:44 pm »
PFFFT! Reverse only 45V! :-DD

and absolutely no AC performance data.

Forward RMS current is 40A.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 09:35:08 pm by Cyberdragon »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 09:43:01 pm »
SPICE models all say TT=0 so either they didn't model it (quite possible) or it's more or less schottky-like.

One would expect majority carriers, one way or another (schottky and field effect), so they should be fast.

No evidence of guard ring behavior (causes reverse recovery behavior in schottky diodes driven to high currents).  Again, could be an incomplete model.  Forward voltage is only graphed up to 0.6V, no help there.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline komet

• Supporter
  • Shenzhen Retroencabulator Mfg. Co.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 10:28:20 pm »
Looks like it might make an interesting varicap...

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 10:39:16 pm »
Nice.
My immediate thought was "Oh, I hope they do a bridge rectifier with such low Vf".
Something I've wanted for a specific application for a long time.

Their 'Diodes and rectifiers selection guide' makes no mention of bridge rectifiers.
ST site search for 'bridge rectifier' finds nothing. Seriously, don't they make any? Not sexy enough? So they didn't think to try offering ultra-low-Vf ones either?

Sigh.
Please no one suggest using three of these to make a bridge.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 01:30:03 am »
I presume they have a target market for these things. People rarely put something like this out just to see if customers bite. I wonder what that target market is?

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 01:54:08 am »
I presume they have a target market for these things. People rarely put something like this out just to see if customers bite. I wonder what that target market is?
Packaged in TO-220AB, and D2PAK, this device is intended to be used in switch mode power supplies, or automotive applications

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 04:31:45 am »
Any technical details of what a "field effect rectifier" really is? Is it a MOSFET and synchronous rectifier controller packaged to be a drop in replacement for a rectifier diode or is it some totally new kind of diode? (I suspect the latter.)

TI SM74611 only has about 33mV drop at 10A. But it's only for very low frequency applications. I have one in my solar power setup and given it has less than a tenth the voltage drop of the Schottky it replaced, it's no longer surprising that it gives off no noticeable heat. (It was a surprise when I installed it because I didn't pay attention to just how low its voltage drop is - I just knew it was better. Even more of a surprise was just how big of a deal the system it was in ended up being but that's another story...)
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 04:43:41 am »
Any technical details of what a "field effect rectifier" really is? Is it a MOSFET and synchronous rectifier controller packaged to be a drop in replacement for a rectifier diode or is it some totally new kind of diode? (I suspect the latter.)

https://patents.google.com/patent/US8148748

Offline BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 04:47:29 am »
Ok, I picked 1 device out of a whole series which of devices which go up to 100v, 60 amps.  They are brand new, but already available.  I know about the poor leakage current, but when they are priced at around 1$ at digikey when a comparable schottky with an extra 100mv to 200mv at the same current and speed comes in above 7$ each, these devices have a market, even with some reverse current and capacitance limitations, they have their use and market.

I'm making a 3 phase PMG 30V generator and I would rather pay 5$ using these instead of 40$ in schottky equivalent where I would still loose more wattage due to the larger voltage drop.  This is a lot of money after building 1k units.  After 2k units, since my original design was priced with schottky in mind, I have enough in pocket for a nice new car...

I'll be going up in voltage and be using this guy 100v, 40amp guy:
http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/diodes-and-rectifiers/field-effect-rectifiers/ferd40h100s.html
At 56cents each, to hell with schottky...  This lowers my diode cost from 40.00$ to 3.36$.

OOOOPPPPSSS, just found some 35 amp 100v schottky from Vishay with comparable price.  Schottky diodes above 35 amps for some reason sky-rocket in price.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 05:35:25 am by BrianHG »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 08:14:42 am »
BrianHG, do a review, even brief one on how it performs, on a separate thread if you had a chance, please.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf