Author Topic: Storage of components, finaly got plenty of room for them.  (Read 12479 times)

Offline ErikTheNorwegianTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
Storage of components, finaly got plenty of room for them.
« on: March 20, 2014, 09:28:24 pm »
Sto

« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 08:41:33 pm by ErikTheNorwegian »
/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

Offline karlmag

• Contributor
Re: Storage of components, finaly got plenty of room for them.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 12:06:20 am »

How the heck did you manage to pick my brain!??

For a couple of months or so I have been thinking about a storage setup on wheels.
Your concept is identical to what I have been thinking about, and your implementation is very close to what I have  envisioned. Even the color! :-D

Difference is that you have actually gotten around to do it, while I haven't :-/

Guess I better put it  higher up on my todo lists now.

By the way; Very Nice! :-D

--
KarlMag

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 12:08:25 am »
Nice!
I have to finish my component tower...

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 12:50:40 am »
I'd love to build one but i'd be afraid of it falling over.
Looks real nice though, is it stable?

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 06:41:04 am »
Very nice, double sided?

But as one of my fellow aussies would say...

That's not a component tower... this is a component tower!  ;D Floor to ceiling, four towers on one rotating base ... and on wheels. There are two of these, one is still dismantled.

Some here might even recognise where it came from.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 06:50:45 am by aargee »
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 06:52:12 am »
Yes, double sided, can't read.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 06:55:29 am »
Some here might even recognise where it came from.

Looks like an old bit of DSE equipment to me.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 07:03:55 am »
Looks real nice!  :-+ I might just use that as inspiration for what the hell to do with all those parts drawers. I had already bought some castors for something else, but I think I suddenly might need another set. The one thing that would worry me is this thing toppling over.  :o Or drawers sliding open while wheeling it about...

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 09:59:03 am »
Very very nice.  :-+
As a suggestion for future builders you can make the base plate much heavier by using for instance 4 or 5 plates of glued together 18mm mdf boards, where you cut the center out of the 2 or 3 middle mdf boards and leave aprox. 2cm room on all sides.
So you end up with a large hollow space that you fill with silversand (cheapest and heaviest) or if you have the money lead. Then you have a very heavy sturdy base and it will compensate for the tower.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 11:31:58 am »
Ok well you're not in the common earthquake countries so it would be fine then.
Those RAACO racks are pretty expensive though, some investment you have there, but good quality.

Offline FoXX

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 12:35:36 pm »
Those RAACO racks are pretty expensive though, some investment you have there, but good quality.

Yep they are really expensive here in Denmark, did you find a nice place to buy them from?
One is like 200 Dkr. ~29$

/FoXX

Offline karlmag

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 01:17:10 pm »

Yep they are really expensive here in Denmark, did you find a nice place to buy them from?
One is like 200 Dkr. ~29$

/FoXX

Yeah, those particular he has (and I have a bunch of too) is going for around that price - while on sale.. if not on sale, almost 50% more.
That is, in the only store I know have them around here. There might be other places, but in any case, they're usually not particularly cheap.

--
KarlMag

Offline Phaedrus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 05:34:03 pm »
I remember visiting Etasis (PSU ODM) and walking through their engineering section. There was an entire 5mx3m space blocked off, with component drawers all around the outside, and two double rows of drawers going through the middle, all stacked almost to head height. Filled with every electronic component you could dream of that would be relevant to power electronics.

It was like finding Nirvana.
"More quotes have been misattributed to Albert Einstein than to any other famous person."
- Albert Einstein

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 05:44:30 pm »
I spent 2 weeks going through the central stores in the military once, only went through 2 small buildings. Next door was a hanger with a basement, which only held fasteners. One of 5....... Let alone the bigger ones around that held components and other assemblies. A building with a full length 50 ton crane inside, and it was needed often. I did come back with a small book of misplaced parts, along with a large number of other part numbers of interest, like lugs, connectors, cable, lamps, along with a 100kg parcel that was originally destined for scrap when I walked in the first day. Assorted resistors that were new and unused, but which had not been ordered in decades as they fell out of the system. I spent 4 hours with my stamp and a pen signing the paperwork, it alone filled a box. When done I took a roll of plastic tubing, known as "bag any length" and sealed the one end, then filled it with packets till full, then did another as it would have been over 3m long. Then put my address on it and put it in internal mail. Arrived before I got back, and filled our resistor rack to overflowing of many values.

Offline FoXX

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 06:06:01 pm »
Off topic but:

Ohh, dont complain.  :)

Norway, and Oslo is the worlds most excpencive place to live!

With that wages and tax system, you should be glad.. All hail to the oil  ;D

Offline karlmag

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 12:21:53 am »

How the heck did you manage to pick my brain!??

For a couple of months or so I have been thinking about a storage setup on wheels.
Your concept is identical to what I have been thinking about, and your implementation is very close to what I have  envisioned. Even the color! :-D

Difference is that you have actually gotten around to do it, while I haven't :-/

Guess I better put it  higher up on my todo lists now.

By the way; Very Nice! :-D

--
KarlMag

Hi, if yoyu plan to build one alike, i have  2 liters paint, same colour ar the  kabinets standing here. If you live close buy, just come bay and get it for free.

Lives in Heggedal, Asker, just PM me..

Thanks for the offer, but I live in Bergen, so it would cost more to drop by than to just buy new paint :-)

Offline karlmag

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 12:28:33 am »
This is gone be my new cabel organizer!
Cut it in two halves, weld a coulpe of iron bits with holes to so i can screw it on one each side of the tower.

It was cheap, just  22$.
Its solid and made from metal.

That is actually not a bad idea. Guess I need to explore some similar solution. Have wondered about it earlier, but never put much thought to it so far.  Guess it's possible to make something out of wood too. Use a router to cut some grooves or something.
But this is good ideas :-)

--
KarlMag

Offline karlmag

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 12:36:44 am »
This is gone be my new cabel organizer!
Cut it in two halves, weld a coulpe of iron bits with holes to so i can screw it on one each side of the tower.

It was cheap, just  22$.
Its solid and made from metal.

That is actually not a bad idea. Guess I need to explore some similar solution. Have wondered about it earlier, but never put much thought to it so far.  Guess it's possible to make something out of wood too. Use a router to cut some grooves or something.

And also, you can use the stick to put wire-  or component reels on.
Possibly on the side(s) of the storage cabinet thing?

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 03:08:41 pm »

Wooden dish rack or make your own.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 09:03:26 am »
Do not use a wire rack, as the wires tend not to be well attached with the spot welds typically used. The rake is a good idea, as the tines will be welded securely. I just use some garage holders made from light tubing, they are $2 each, and hold well enough. For other things I use a stick on plastic hanging rack, as I can get them at work for nothing as damaged items. Peel the label off ( misplaced and thus rejected, as the label is hard to remove and tears easily) and just stick where needed. Others are an old piece of Beech wood edging with L shaped hooks screwed into them. As they have a recess at the rear they also make convenient cable trays for permanent cables on the storage rack.

Offline karlmag

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 03:29:56 pm »

Wooden dish rack or make your own.

That's an idea. :-)

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 12:03:58 pm »
Had an even better idea. Get some spent rifle rounds (long cases) drill some holes in a piece of wood.
Polish them up and glue them in.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 05:19:43 pm »
Went looking for those style rakes this week, but only the horrid plastic or an even worse steel one. Looks like that old fridge rack from the 22 year old KIC fridge that I took to scrap last week will come in useful. That at least has decent thick wire bars, and plenty of cross braces. Too bad the plastic dip coating will not survive the cooking it will get when reinforcing the welds with braze welds though, it will all have to be burned or peeled off.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 12:27:50 pm »
Here are two pictures of my version of a component tower
This way I ended up with an empty big square hole in the middle, but I have 24 of these storage rags mobile.
The space saving is just amazing.
I built this 5 years ago and would build it again, the same way.
But instead of florescent tube light, I would use some LED stripes for the lights.

It will definitely not fall over but sometimes I am worried about the bottom plate.
It is heavy, but I can still move it around.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 12:58:46 pm »
Here are two pictures of my version of a component tower
The space saving is just amazing.
Looks great. I probably will build a small one (2x2 as Erik) in the end for the bigger components.
For the smaller components I personally find this solution less usefull since you end up with a lot of empty unused space in each small compartment.
So for instance for these small standard wired components such as resistors unless you have a lot of them of the same value (>400 or so) the compartment will be >70% empty unused space since they are too high for them. You would need 120 compartment half height Raaco's which do not exist (AFAIK).
If you have <100 pieces of each value I still would choose my (red) drawer solution:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/componant-storage/msg287995/#msg287995

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf