Author Topic: STM in Milan  (Read 3331 times)

Offline S. PetrukhinTopic starter

• Super Contributor
STM in Milan
« on: February 02, 2021, 02:18:43 am »
Hello, friends!

There's someone here who lives in Milan, isn't there? Is STM really building a factory near this city? Can anyone confirm that?
And sorry for my English.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
Re: STM in Milan
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 06:21:49 am »
I don't live in milan, but i haven't heard anything about st building new production facilities in the news (i think it should have been in the economics news)
they do have some production centres in italy though

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 08:23:30 am »
In the Russian profile news on electronics I heard that STM is building a plant near Milan. I have a new development aimed at all the main components of STM. I really want to have information about the reliability of this manufacturer and prospects. Now I need a decision to stay on STM or go to another manufacturer.  :scared:

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 09:08:51 am »
I really want to have information about the reliability of this manufacturer and prospects.
STMicroelectronics is a reliable manufacturer and supplies parts for a very wide range of applications. According to wikipedia, there is a site there already. From wikipedia:
Employing 6,000 staff, the Milan facilities match Grenoble in importance. Agrate Brianza, employs around 4,000 staff and is a historical base of the company (ex SGS). The site has several fab lines (including an 300 mm (12 in) fab) and an R&D center. Castelletto, employs 300 to 400 staff and hosts some divisions and R&D centers.

Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline vad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 09:53:15 am »
In the Russian profile news on electronics I heard that STM is building a plant near Milan. I have a new development aimed at all the main components of STM. I really want to have information about the reliability of this manufacturer and prospects. Now I need a decision to stay on STM or go to another manufacturer.  :scared:
Nah, don’t bet on that. If you need absolute guarantee, start your own foundry, let it be the first in Russia 40 nm fab, and start producing your own Cortex-M MCUs.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 10:00:30 am »
I really want to have information about the reliability of this manufacturer and prospects.
STMicroelectronics is a reliable manufacturer and supplies parts for a very wide range of applications. According to wikipedia, there is a site there already.

Look at this "reliable manufacturer" on the site for the presence of STM32F103Vx. :) They are gone, only small remnants in the sellers warehouses are shown. The Chinese comrades told me "everything is fine, we have it", but the price increased by 2 times. :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 10:26:14 am »
Nah, don’t bet on that. If you need absolute guarantee, start your own foundry, let it be the first in Russia 40 nm fab, and start producing your own Cortex-M MCUs.

In Russia, there has long been a production of Cortex MCUs, I am just studying the possibility of using them. But they are designed to work with a direct hit of an atomic bomb and are very expensive.  :)

But you needn't be ironic, there are other MPU manufacturers, such as TI, Microchip, GigaDevice.  :)

« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 10:32:22 am by S. Petrukhin »

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 11:12:42 am »
Look at this "reliable manufacturer" on the site for the presence of STM32F103Vx. :) They are gone, only small remnants in the sellers warehouses are shown. The Chinese comrades told me "everything is fine, we have it", but the price increased by 2 times. :)
Yup, market shortages happen occasionally for every single source part - there was this great Atmel AVR scarcity a few years back if I remember correctly, a few others I can't name of the top of my head. And the MLCC shortage. And so forth...
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 11:50:01 am »
STMicroelectronics is a reliable manufacturer and supplies parts for a very wide range of applications. According to wikipedia, there is a site there already.

stop using ancient parts and use their modern, better, cheaper alternatives.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline enz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 12:19:53 pm »

Which doesn't help anything if exactly those "modern, better, cheaper alternatives" also have lead times of about 50 weeks or so, as nearly all STM Cortex devices seem to have at the moment. I think that is it, what S. Petrukhin is worried about.

Edit: quotation formatting fixed

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 12:29:54 pm »

For example?

Offline BBBbbb

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2021, 12:37:10 pm »
As far as I know it's a foundries supply issue going on, has nothing to do with STm being a reputable supplier.
For you're needs I'd guess they're as good as any other major vendor, and you could be facing similar issues with others throughout this year.

Well maybe some suppliers using foundries in mainland China could have a more stable supply this year, especially with you not facing any restrictions from them... but just guessing...

Offline vad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2021, 01:18:45 pm »
In Russia, there has long been a production of Cortex MCUs, I am just studying the possibility of using them. But they are designed to work with a direct hit of an atomic bomb and are very expensive.  :)
Yes, I also heard about those. They are the largest Cortex MCUs in the world, and come in a package with 14 pins and two carry handles for portability.

PS. Not sure about Milan, but STM had (and from what I see still has) fab plant in Singapore. I lived within 10 minutes driving distance from it. Not sure if this information helps in your selection of Cortex-M vendor.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2021, 01:47:02 pm »
Yes, I also heard about those. They are the largest Cortex MCUs in the world, and come in a package with 14 pins and two carry handles for portability.
1986ВЕ91T you won't believe it, the usual TQFP-100 in a plastic or ceramic case  :)

« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 01:48:55 pm by S. Petrukhin »

Offline BBBbbb

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 02:16:03 pm »
I did hear recently that NXP is will be pulling out of MEMS production and transfer everything to STm, not sure about exact detail, but the fab should be in EU from what I remember. Could be the one in Milano.
My company is going back and forth between NXP and STm for mems accelerometer, for various reasons - supply, quality, qualification (automotive)... and I've been involved in some of the qualification procedures from the SW PoV, and about 3 months ago our MEMS expert mentioned this about STm fab in EU taking over completely MEMS production...

I would expect their cortex production do be done at one of the big foundries in TW, and not at their smaller fabs in Europe.

Offline eliocor

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 03:13:32 pm »
1986ВЕ91T you won't believe it, the usual TQFP-100 in a plastic or ceramic case  :)

they seems to me just synthetic images, not real ones: just Russian vaporware?  :-DD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2021, 05:10:21 pm »

they seems to me just synthetic images, not real ones: just Russian vaporware?  :-DD

I don't have them, I can't take a photo, these are images from an Internet search, it's probably rendering. I don't have any to take photos of. They are obscenely expensive, about 20 times more expensive than the STM32.  :scared:

Offline eliocor

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2021, 05:28:31 pm »
They are obscenely expensive, about 20 times more expensive than the STM32.

This one is a very lax definition of yours: STM32 microcontrollers can range from (1 unit price):
1.28€ - https://www.digikey.it/product-detail/en/stmicroelectronics/STM32F030F4P6TR/497-17333-1-ND/7650385
to
15.00€ - https://www.digikey.it/product-detail/en/stmicroelectronics/STM32F437ZIT7TR/497-18795-1-ND/9958455

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 05:52:30 pm »
They are obscenely expensive, about 20 times more expensive than the STM32.

This one is a very lax definition of yours: STM32 microcontrollers can range from (1 unit price):
1.28€ - https://www.digikey.it/product-detail/en/stmicroelectronics/STM32F030F4P6TR/497-17333-1-ND/7650385
to
15.00€ - https://www.digikey.it/product-detail/en/stmicroelectronics/STM32F437ZIT7TR/497-18795-1-ND/9958455

peice 1986ВЕ91T = 20*price STM32F103VET6
Other models have about the same proportion.

Offline eliocor

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2021, 05:56:09 pm »
not too much expensive for a space hardened component....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2021, 06:26:37 pm »

I'm not need space hardened component  :phew:

Offline vad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2021, 08:17:49 pm »

No mentioning of radiation hardening in the datasheet: https://eandc.ru/pdf/mikroskhema/1986ve9.pdf

These are just components with extended temperature range (-60C through +125C).
If the STM part is out of stock, how many reels of 1986ВЕ91T can you buy and get shipped today?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2021, 09:04:08 pm »

No mentioning of radiation hardening in the datasheet: https://eandc.ru/pdf/mikroskhema/1986ve9.pdf

If the STM part is out of stock, how many reels of 1986ВЕ91T can you buy and get shipped today?

You're looking at the wrong datasheet. :) I didn't understand the question about the coils.

Offline vad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2021, 02:51:15 am »

You're looking at the wrong datasheet. :) I didn't understand the question about the coils.

Still no mentioning of the radiation hardening on the manufacture’s site: https://ic.milandr.ru/products/mikrokontrollery_i_protsessory/32_razryadnye_mikrokontrollery/risc/1986ve91t/

I asked if the IC is for sale. Can you buy it?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2021, 09:29:29 am »
I asked if the IC is for sale. Can you buy it?
You can't just buy in an online store. Probably, some contractual arrangements are needed.
I haven't contacted the manufacturer yet. Still, this is a slightly different MPU, not a complete analog of the STM32, different peripherals.
GD32 is a simpler replacement.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf