Author Topic: Some People from Australia here?  (Read 13544 times)

Offline Lord of nothingTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Some People from Australia here?
« on: October 01, 2015, 02:33:38 pm »
Hey
In in the next 12 I want make a Trip to the other side of the World called Australia.  :-+
I want see real Kangoos.  :popcorn:
Its possible to get around without an Driver licence?
How much cost a good Meal in a bigger City?
Thanks
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
Re: Some People from Australia here?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 02:42:03 pm »
Australia is not a small place.

Most cities you'll get a Taxi and public transport can be passable.
Plenty of 'roos around and tourist parks where you can get up and close. Like Koalas, Roos are neither cute nor cuddly.
Meal prices vary wildly across the country. Not cheap relative to places I've been in Europe and certainly the US.

We thrive on tourism, so most people will be friendly and welcoming.
There are a few Aussies on the forum. Let us know where you are touching down and someone local will set you up with some more targeted advice.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 03:00:33 pm »
How much cost 1Km by Taxi? Here in good old Europe the Price grow very fast and can cost more than an "Limousine" Service.
public transport
hmm are there good Connections Between the City? I know there are some Tourist trains. I am not interested in such a rip-off Train.
Plenty of 'roos around and tourist parks where you can get up and close.
Reachable by Public Transport?
Like Koalas, Roos are neither cute nor cuddly.
hmm why? I have no problem with a Roosteak.  :-DD I am more afraid of Spider and drunk Native Australians.
Meal prices vary wildly across the country.
hmm do you have some examples? I know there are some Restaurant for locals who have a good Value.
Not cheap relative to places I've been in Europe
hmm there are not "that" Europe. For exaple Austria, Swizerland and the Northern Country are extreme expensive. (oke oke in Austria the big player try to rip off everyone. Everything cost 20% more than in Germany just for 1% more Tax we Pay.)  |O Germany and Esteurope (former Sowet Country) are extreme Cheap.
so most people will be friendly and welcoming.
Austria to but not all are friendly and nice... Today I was visit my Dentist next to the Airport (a very Friendly Person) and after that I had to get a Ticket for the Train. The ÖBB Stuff was extreme rude (on the Airport...) and the try to sell not the best offer for the customer.  :=\ :rant:
There are a few Aussies on the forum. Let us know where you are touching down and someone local will set you up with some more targeted advice.
Year i know the owner of the Forum are from Australia to so thats why I ask.  :-+
Its just an idea. I way 2 times "close" to Australia. 1) in Japan and 2) Vancouver. Now i want to make the full 360.  :box:

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 03:18:56 pm »
Sounds like a cool trip. I have been to New Zealand with an Australian for a couple of days for work. One of things you need to wrap your head around is that you can walk around for days outside the cities over there without meeting a single person. In Europe that is impossible. It also means that if you get an accident there will be nobody around to help you. That is one of the dangers you have to be aware of.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 03:46:51 pm »
I have been to New Zealand with an Australian for a couple of days for work.
Do you understand the Australian English Slang?
you can walk around for days outside the cities over there without meeting a single person.
I think if the Train or Bus have an Serious Problem the Call someone to fix or get some other Transport? I know there are some Horror Storrys in the German Speaking Train Forum what happened when the Powerline get Broken in the Winter (The ÖBB called it "An unpredictable natural disaster."  :clap:) and the Passenger have to wait 2 - 5 Hour in the Cold Train until a Diesellok come.  :=\
In Europe that is impossible.
Its possible in France, Germany and East Europe. If you want hide yourself in the Woods you can do it.
It also means that if you get an accident there will be nobody around to help you. That is one of the dangers you have to be aware of.
I dont want walk in the hell of nowhere.

Oke its maybe a stupid Question but how about Public Toilette? (In Malls, Restaurants...)

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 04:48:42 pm »
My daughter is somewhere around Sydney with a friend doing workaway.com programs and living on the cheap as they travel.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 04:51:48 pm »
I have been to New Zealand with an Australian for a couple of days for work.
Do you understand the Australian English Slang?
I can understand any English slang. Including Chinglish, Korenglish, Frenglish, Chenglish, etc.  O0
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 05:04:54 pm »
Merklish to?  :-DD

I hope i can find some Australian People here who can told me some local Information about there Country.

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 05:06:15 pm »
Its possible in France, Germany and East Europe. If you want hide yourself in the Woods you can do it.

We have a growing number of dangerous bears, wolves and wild hogs in the woods. So careful with that hiding...  ;D

Offline bigdawg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 05:14:47 pm »
Hey
In in the next 12 I want make a Trip to the other side of the World called Australia.  :-+
I want see real Kangoos.  :popcorn:
How much cost a good Meal in a bigger City?
Thanks

My cousin moved to this isolated wilderness called perth a few years ago  ;D ; From what I have seen from my brief visits the cost of eating out/transport aint any more expensive than east coast but ofcourse I've not gone looking for the "Australian wilderness experience". I am sure someone living there may jump in here once you decide what part of AUS you'll visit. Its much bigger than what it looks on the map, so I couldnt suggest to try to hit all the major cities (especially if it includes perth and brisbane) in one trip like folks do on European vacations.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 05:21:01 pm »
We have a growing number of dangerous bears
Who get shoot... German Wikipedia: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/JJ1
wolves and wild hogs in the woods.
And real Ganger in Berlin.  :-DD
Its much bigger than what it looks on the map, so I couldnt suggest to try to hit all the major cities (especially if it includes perth and brisbane) in one trip like folks do on European vacations.
I know. What is the best way to get from / to other Citys?
I see the Railway Network isnt that big. http://foreignpolicyblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/ozrail.png
Hmm it look like the use Long-distance Bus?

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 05:23:56 pm »
Best option to move around in Oz is to rent a car, unless you're not venturing out of the city center. Car rental is reasonably cheap and foreign licenses are accepted. Perth offers free buses in the CBD.
Meals are pricey in most restaurants. Asian-style food courts are better value and very popular at lunch time.
If you don't drive, look for organized tours to the nearest tourist spots.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 05:32:38 pm by Wytnucls »

Offline bigdawg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 05:31:30 pm »
We have a growing number of dangerous bears
Who get shoot... German Wikipedia: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/JJ1
wolves and wild hogs in the woods.
And real Ganger in Berlin.  :-DD
Its much bigger than what it looks on the map, so I couldnt suggest to try to hit all the major cities (especially if it includes perth and brisbane) in one trip like folks do on European vacations.
I know. What is the best way to get from / to other Citys?
I see the Railway Network isnt that big. http://foreignpolicyblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/ozrail.png
Hmm it look like the use Long-distance Bus?

I personally have flown from sydney to perth but that was just because I didnt have enough vacation days. There is a train which goes to perth through adelaide, but it doesnt run everyday. The reviews for it were amazing but I just couldnt fit it in my schedule. They also have a train going to alice springs to/from Darvin.

Offline briselec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 09:52:35 pm »
Not having a license  shouldn't be a problem. There are always plenty of backpackers you can hitch a ride with. Bryon Bay seems to be the Australian mecca for backpackers.
Just be careful of backpackers driving 4WDs in the sand on Fraser Island. They tend to crash.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 11:26:35 pm »

Sydney has quite a good public transport system, as does Melbourne.

Depending on which state you're coming to, you can use your international licence. If you're planning a trip to New South Wales (where Sydney is), you can drive on your international drivers licence provided it is in English. If it's in a language other than English, you will need to get a certified translated copy.

More information here: http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/licence/visiting-nsw.html

If you are planning to drive, brush up on our road rules.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 11:30:18 pm by Halcyon »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 11:35:26 pm »
Most cities you'll get a Taxi and public transport can be passable.

Taxi's are stupidly expensive in Australia, avoid at all costs.

Plenty of 'roos around and tourist parks where you can get up and close. Like Koalas, Roos are neither cute nor cuddly.

Yes, but if you want to see a roo in the wild you have to know exactly where to go. You could easily spend months in Australia roaming around and never see one.

Meal prices vary wildly across the country. Not cheap relative to places I've been in Europe and certainly the US.

Australia is not a cheap country for anything, including food.
A typical pub meal is going to set you back about AU$20

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 11:37:51 pm »
Oke its maybe a stupid Question but how about Public Toilette? (In Malls, Restaurants...)

We have a website for that  ;D
https://toiletmap.gov.au/
Most restaurants will have a public toilet.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 11:42:28 pm »
Sydney has quite a good public transport system, as does Melbourne.

Sydney's one is usable for sure.
But if the OP wants to see a Kangaroo in the wild, off the top of my head, you won't be able to get there by public transport.
And Kangaroos are mostly active at sunrise and sunset, hard to see them during the day.
And don't mistake a Kangaroo for Wallaby!

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 11:45:27 pm »
And don't mistake a Kangaroo for Wallaby!

And if you want to see wallabies (and an Albino one at that) then there's a little wildlife park in Sollihull that is a lot closer.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 11:48:12 pm »
What is the best way to get from / to other Citys?

That's because Australia is mostly full of nothing and very sparsely populated.
Two of our closest capital cities, Melbourne and Sydney is about a 12 hour train ride! And it runs twice a day at best. Obviously not many people choose that option.
Most people just fly for a few hundred bucks.

It all comes down to a combination of:
a) How much time you have
b) How much money you have
c) What you really want to see (cities vs outback)
Without that people can't really make decent suggestions.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 11:55:31 pm »
In Sydney, IIRC the only major wild Kangaroo population still left is near St Mary's, and that's dwindling due to development:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/west/st-marys-community-has-grave-concerns-for-last-of-sydneys-wild-emus/story-fngr8i5s-1227275168535

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf