Author Topic: Soldering in office  (Read 6343 times)

Offline itdontgoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • IoT Manufacturer
Soldering in office
« on: November 30, 2012, 08:22:28 am »
My company is moving to a new office and most production is being done externally.  However some low volume stuff will need finishing in the office i.e. soldering wires on to the PCB for assembly.
Would this kind of soldering iron use be likely to set off a smoke detector?  We just have normal bench extractor fans and will get some iron mounted fume extractors.  Does anyone have experience of this?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Soldering in office
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 09:27:24 am »
Only time I've even seen (heard!) it happen is when someone was desoldering some old arcade boards - that lovely old smell.

Dave.

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 11:02:07 am »
You get trouble from worker's health concerns much before you get trouble from fire alarms.
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Offline itdontgoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • IoT Manufacturer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 07:55:13 am »
OK thanks.  I can imagine how embarrasing it would be if the whole building was evacuated because of my soldering irons!

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 05:49:20 pm »
OK thanks.  I can imagine how embarrassing it would be if the whole building was evacuated because of my soldering irons!
I would think you'd be fine using HEPA & gas filter based fume extractors (either iron fitted as you mentioned, or a larger unit that has an intake you move to the board work area), as it pulls the smoke out of the air.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 06:19:28 pm »
Be careful with HEPA though, they are very air restrictive so they should be at the back of a fan and you need a very uber high pressure fan for it  :-+
That's why you mostly see them on good vacuum cleaners that are cyclone-based or whatever it's called

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 07:43:55 pm »
OK thanks.  I can imagine how embarrasing it would be if the whole building was evacuated because of my soldering irons!
Blame the "uncalibrated" fire alarm system!  :P

Offline IvoS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 11:51:23 pm »
If you have photo-electric type of smoke detectors, the only concern would be if the actual smoke (or dust) hits the smoke chamber. If you use fume extractor you should be fine. Ionization type of smoke detectors are more sensitive.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 12:34:56 am »
Be careful with HEPA though, they are very air restrictive so they should be at the back of a fan and you need a very uber high pressure fan for it  :-+
That's why you mostly see them on good vacuum cleaners that are cyclone-based or whatever it's called
I was thinking of a commercial unit when I mentioned this (Hakko, Weller, ...), not building one. ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf