Author Topic: silly design, keyboard without power switch caused battery acid leakage  (Read 1659 times)

Offline DiTBhoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Only this morning I realized the disaster that was silently happening under my nose, things you only realize when it's too late, and my keyboard is dead.

I forgot it in a corner of the lab, inside my locker, they batteries died, the acid leaked, electronic and plastic got corroded.

Easy story, my fault, just ...

... how can a portable AA3-battery-powered device be designed without a power on/off switch?!? how?!?

See, Texas Instruments made a serial - "full size keys for easy touch-typing keyboard, compatible with all variants of TI-83, TI-84, TI-89, TI-92 and Voyage 200 graphing calculators", but then there is no power on/off switch, so there is nothing to prevent acid-leakage with a not-rechargeable battery when not used for long time.

Lesson learned: *YOU* have to remove the batteries, always remove batteries!
Don't forget it. Never forget it. Acid is unforgiving  :o :o :o

The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

• Super Contributor
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Yep! If you use something rarely better remove the batteries. An alternative is to switch to NiMH cells.

The following users thanked this post: DiTBho

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Lesson learned: *YOU* have to remove the batteries, always remove batteries!
Don't forget it. Never forget it. Acid is unforgiving  :o :o :o
Of course, the vast majority of AA batteries use no acids at all: they’re alkaline batteries, whose electrolyte is, well, alkaline. ;)

No less corrosive, of course, but requires exactly the opposite chemistry to neutralize when cleaning the corrosion.

Offline Peabody

• Super Contributor
Do we know that discharging an alkaline battery makes it more likely to leak?  I've certainly had alkalines that leaked even though they were switched off.  Is it being discharged, or is it just age?  Isn't Dave in the middle of a muti-year experiment on this?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Alkaline batteries happily leak even without external discharging. And there is no acid as already said. This Keyboard likely consumes so little power when not in active use that power switch is not needed. Would you suggest a power switch for TV remotes too?

Offline Peabody

• Super Contributor
Anyway, I think the answer is that a physical On/Off switch could be the most expensive component in many devices.  As an alternative, you can put the processor to sleep at some small fraction of a microamp, to be waked up by the first keystroke.  Virtually every remote control works that way.  There's essentially no difference in battery life versus actually switching it off.  In fact, if you have to recharge capacitors when you switch it back on, or blink an LED, the battery might last longer if you just depend on sleep mode.  Of course using a regulator could change that math.

• Super Contributor
Do we know that discharging an alkaline battery makes it more likely to leak?  I've certainly had alkalines that leaked even though they were switched off.  Is it being discharged, or is it just age?

umm, that's what I don't understand about disposable alkaline batteries  :-//

A year ago I bought two packs of four AAA-batteries each (2x4=8 batteries, picture attached) on Amazon, declared as "brand new batteries" with five stars in the feedback section, while talking about - " Estimated battery life when using alkaline batteries " - when I read the TI keyboard manual it said it's about ~ 126 days (~ 4 months) with active use and better than 4 months with moderate use, so I figured there was no problem storing the keyboard in my locker.

Big mistake, now I know ... 

Also, I didn't check that the keyboard didn't have an off button, so the keyboard stayed on standby the whole time and for some reason at some point the batteries started leaking.

Two batteries swelled so much that the plastic gap bent and I had to clean some kind of yellowish sand around them.

Here I used latex gloves because i noticed it was corrosive, and I cleaned everything with trichlorethylene(1) with the help of a toothbrush and protective glasses.

----

Now, from the same batteries-package bought one year ago, four of those AAA-batteries are still powering my pocket CASIO calculator and when yesterday I checked the battery-charge, they are still 90% and there is no acid leaking.

Why is so different results with the same batteries?  :-//

edit: I loaded the wrong pic by mistake, fixed
[ Specified attachment is not available ]

(1) trichlorethylene for removing stains from clothes
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 08:31:51 pm by DiTBho »

• Super Contributor
(
AAA: Alkaline, 1.5 V,  ~1100 mAh
)

• Super Contributor
Alkaline batteries happily leak even without external discharging. And there is no acid as already said

umm, I don't knowm but I had to clean some kind of yellowish sand around them, and the plastic around the yellowish sand is bent and corroded, it changed color, it has mini-holes like holes in cheese :-//

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, DiTBho

• Super Contributor
Re: silly design, keyboard without power switch caused battery acid leakage
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2022, 06:19:03 am »
Anyway, I think the answer is that a physical On/Off switch could be the most expensive component in many devices. 

Yup! At least the older TI-92 (prior to the "plus" version) has a physical On / Off switch on the back and you can disconnect the batteries from the motherboard.

TI added the switch to you because you can optionally install an expansion module that adds more flash and ram, but to add the module the electronics must be turned off to avoid damage as the module goes directly into the parallel bus of the CPU.

The new TI-89-titaniom as well as the TI-voyage-200 don't have the physical On / Off switch, and they don't have any expansion module.

My old Japanese PDA made by SHARP in 2005 also has a physical On / Off switch on the back, and you can disconnect the batteries from the motherboard. There is no optional expansion module in this case, the best you can do to expand your PDA is through PCMCIA, which is hot-plug and doesn't requires you to disconnect the batteries.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2022, 06:22:26 am »
@madires
"DuraHELL batteries"?!?

LOL  :-DD

Thanks, at least that makes me smile.
Thanks for the link, it's very informative!

Offline TMM

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2022, 07:33:50 am »
hol' up... you use a keyboard with your TI-83?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2022, 09:33:36 am »
Yup, sold the TI 83, bought a TI 89-titanium, once restored and fixed I will use the keyboard with this one.

Offline Peabody

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2022, 02:19:05 pm »
The batteries in your picture are NiMH rechargeables, not alkaline.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2022, 08:24:12 pm »
wrong pic uploaded, right format.
edit: fixed.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 08:30:59 pm by DiTBho »

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2022, 05:22:24 pm »
if you have a device like this, put a strip of wax paper or plastic in the battery cavity like you would get from the store so that until you pull it out its off. A little annoying but we can't be expected to solder a switch and mod every gadget that we use once a year.

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2022, 05:38:00 pm »
If you are prone to leaving batteries in things alkaline is the worst choice, lithium, nimh, even carbon zinc is much less leak prone and destructive.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2022, 06:07:53 pm »
if you have a device like this, put a strip of wax paper or plastic in the battery cavity like you would get from the store so that until you pull it out its off. A little annoying but we can't be expected to solder a switch and mod every gadget that we use once a year.
Keystone Electronics sells the pull tabs (and they don't cost much, 12¢ on Digikey), model 119 for AAA and smaller, model 121 for AA and larger.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2022, 02:04:15 pm »
Thanks guys, after a serious cleaning and refreshing of the soldering points

it woooooooooooorkkkkkkksssssssssss again  ;D ;D ;D

the keyboard is back to working. I cannot believe that it works, but it does!
I will follow your valuable battery advice in the future!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf