Author Topic: Silicon Chip magazine subscription renewal. ???  (Read 6939 times)

Offline wilfredTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Silicon Chip magazine subscription renewal. ???
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:11:14 pm »
/.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 01:41:45 am by wilfred »

Uncle Vernon

Re: Silicon Chip magazine subscription renewal. ???
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 12:33:53 pm »
However I am finding it increasingly tiresome to see the publishers letter use as his soapbox.
Whose opinion should he be giving in a publishers letter? I don't agree with all of the rants but I don't see they detract from the publication. Don't agree, them why not turn the page? It's not as if the whole magazine is laden with ideology.

I think more than half the journos at the SMH are clueless lefty ideologues but it doesn't stop it being a source of news. Not hard to read between the lines.

Worse still is when it enters into  articles such as the current issue article  on the flashing lights at school crossings. There have been worse examples.
Why worse? It's topical, can be electronics related. Simpson is quite entitled to bang on with whatever stance he wishes to take. I'll consider it, doesn't mean I have to agree.

So now my sub is due for renewal and I've been sitting on it for a month to see if I can just get over it. I like the magazine, don't get me wrong, but I just don't want to be buying his politics.
Well that is your call, if you want to do without all the content the magazine provides in case you may encounter a view you do not agree with, that is your choice. How is it buying politics? Aren't you paying for the content you did want? If the odd out there opinion is included, so what, it hasn't changed the cover price.  Do you think you subscription is funding some Leoist cult hell bent on eliminating school signs?

Whether I agree with them or not. Mostly not to varying degrees. And, yes, I did actually write to him to complain.
That's nice.

Can't help hoping I'm not just cutting my nose of to spite my face.
You may have just come up with your own answer.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:47:53 pm by Uncle Vernon »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 12:42:36 pm »
You are not alone.
But the magazine is his baby, and that's what a publishers letter is for, his opinion on something. It's the only place where he can rant and/or push his political view to a large audience about something that he is passionate about. e.g. nuclear power.
There is a long history of this in the electronics magazines, it's just that Leo likes to talk about off-topic politics a lot more than other editors have over the decades.
It's pretty easy to skip if you don't like it, and I think it would be nice if he did more on-topic stuff, but I think it's at least more interesting than some other editors who simply summarise what's in the issue, and don't really have anything interesting to say.

Dave.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 01:03:01 pm »
It just seems a waste of the space to carry on about greenhouse gases, carbon pricing and such. There is plenty of that debate elsewhere.

It is, but it's his space to waste.
Readers get to either like it, not like it, or opt out all together and un-subscribe.

When it comes down to it, you are paying X dollars/month for electronics content. How much of that content is being wasted by one editorial page?
It's not much, so on a pure unbiased opinion, you'd likely be silly to unsubscribe over just that.
Let's say he knocked off $1/issue for those who didn't like his editorial rant, that sounds like a bargain!
But then again, the whole point is that it's your biased opinion as the subscriber, so feel free to unsubscribe on principle or a fit or rage  ;D

Dave.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 01:28:48 pm »
I'd have no problem with him getting involved in some matter in the political arena if it was more relevant. Like say training standards for electricians, or some new technical standard that was being debated, or advocating the adoption of some new technical standard.
From a point of personal preference I'd have to agree, I would prefer to see topics closely related to electronics, but from some points of view everything could be thought of as related. And Simpson is from the Nth Side and should get out in the real world more according to one nasty piece of work masquerading as a competent PM.

Silicon chip is a good forum for these sort of things to be raised. They sure won't be in the newspapers or television.
Good point

It just seems a waste of the space to carry on about greenhouse gases, carbon pricing and such. There is plenty of that debate elsewhere.
My guess is that Simpson tried (and failed dismally) to address how those topics affect our industry.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 12:36:33 am »
I agree with Unc,it's Leo's magazine,& if his readers don't like it,they won't buy it.
Just turn the page,or write to the mag ,& dispute with him.
In the end,as an Electronics magazine,it's the technical content that it lives & dies by.

It's not uncommon for the Editor/Publisher of Technical  mags to push their own agenda.
"73" Magazine in the USA was  a good "Ham Radio" magazine.but Wayne Green started to push such ideas as "Cold Fusion","Apollo 11 Hoax",etc, while the Tech content withered away,with the result that the mag died.

Although Leo's ideas may seen a bit "out there" to some of us,he is well inside the mainstream,unlike Wayne!
I don't subscribe to magazines,anyway,but pick them up at news agents if there is any thing that takes my eye.
I think that as long as Leo eschews such ideas as referred to above,we should ignore his peccadilloes!
At least he hasn't tried to turn "Silicon Chip" into an "Electronic Lifestyle magazine". ;D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 12:42:47 am by vk6zgo »

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 04:52:26 am »
Just turn the page when you see Leo's photo and keep reading. Frankly the magazine has been improving this year - a wider variety and skill level of projects. And you can now buy project PCBs from SC now that Bob Barnes has passed away.

By the time you save money with the subscription and tax deduction (for some of us) it's still a good deal.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 05:04:01 am »
It's the only place where he can rant and/or push his political view to a large audience about something that he is passionate about.

There is this modern thing called the Internet. He could publish it there.

The thing with "printed" stuff was and is that it is asymmetric. An editor force-feeds you something. and it is hard to give feedback. Sure, you can write a (electronic) letter to the editor. Most aren't even read, as it is tradition in the print business. A few get selected and edited for the Letters to the Editor section to keep up the illusion of the editor listening to readers. The point is, the communication is completely under control of the editor. And that's the way old print hands like it. They really do not want a discussion or feedback, but like exercising their power to force-feed you. Editors are chickens fearing a discussion.

Your options are indeed to skip the nonsense written by the editor, or to vote with your feet and cancel the subscription.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 05:38:44 am »
Frankly the magazine has been improving this year - a wider variety and skill level of projects. And you can now buy project PCBs from SC now that Bob Barnes has passed away.

Have to agree. Took some time, but they finally discovered the microcontroller and surface mount, despite all the prior condescending replies at earlier mention of such things.  :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 05:42:10 am »
There is this modern thing called the Internet. He could publish it there.

That would be like me publishing an opinion on my old webpage instead of directly in a video that I know will be seen by tens of thousands of viewers.
I don't blame him for publishing it in the mag, as that's where he has the power for people to see it.

Personally I have always found the vintage radio column to be a waste of space, but that's just me, so I flick right past it.

The thing with "printed" stuff was and is that it is asymmetric. An editor force-feeds you something. and it is hard to give feedback. Sure, you can write a (electronic) letter to the editor. Most aren't even read, as it is tradition in the print business. A few get selected and edited for the Letters to the Editor section to keep up the illusion of the editor listening to readers. The point is, the communication is completely under control of the editor. And that's the way old print hands like it. They really do not want a discussion or feedback, but like exercising their power to force-feed you. Editors are chickens fearing a discussion.

It's always pretty much a one way street, be it print editor or a more modern media.
I can certainly relate. If I took seriously and responded to and engaged in discussion with every feedback and comment I get, I go insane. It's just not possible.
Not to mention that the majority of feedback is just crap, ill-informed or non-practical.
But I read it all, and I think Leo does too.

Dave.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 05:44:37 am »
Frankly the magazine has been improving this year - a wider variety and skill level of projects. And you can now buy project PCBs from SC now that Bob Barnes has passed away.
Have to agree. Took some time, but they finally discovered the microcontroller and surface mount, despite all the prior condescending replies at earlier mention of such things.  :)

I wonder if he'd consider publishing my uWatch Mk2 these days, after famously turning down my original design for publication.

Dave.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 08:56:29 am »
I subscribe to Silicon Chip and simply flip past the pages that don't interest me.

You need to accept there will be some content you aren't interested in.

If you still think it's worth the asking price, buy it.  If not, don't buy it.   :)

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 10:57:34 am »
I wonder if he'd consider publishing my uWatch Mk2 these days, after famously turning down my original design for publication.
Would be worth a call or letter. Ergonomics is still far from a strength at SC.  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf