Author Topic: Good computer desk/bench?  (Read 4044 times)

Offline ECEdesignTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Good computer desk/bench?
« on: March 15, 2016, 03:23:05 am »
I have been searching for a new computer desk.  Most of the desks at the office supply shops are not really very useful as they are not very deep.  The one I have is only 19inches deep.  Electronic gear really requires some extra depth to have any useable space.  I have been trying to find a source for a good sturdy desk. 

IKEA used to make the Galant which I hear was very nice and sturdy.  They have now replaced that with the Bekant which I have read many report if it shaking just typing on the keyboard...Not going to put test gear on that. 

A simple desk/table like this would work pretty well http://www.steelcase.com/products/conference-classroom-tables/akira-table/#features

If I don't find anything looks like I'll have to build my own desk from plywood.  Anyone have recommendations for desks in the US?

Offline kendalll

• Contributor
Re: Good computer desk/bench?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 05:41:48 am »
If you google butcher block desktop you get a lot of nice wide DIY desk tops for sale.

I've been eyeing a sit / stand desk. I have a feeling this forum is going to balk at the pricing, but the L shaped desk is really solid feeling. The two legged model was a little bit wobbly in the show room when up high. But quite solid when down low.
http://www.ergodepot.com/Jarvis3_p/jrv-3.htm

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 09:10:14 am »
Not sure if they ever reached the US, but hunt for "criterion" second hand, They went out of business recently, but there desks where the best i have found since,

To make my point clearer, a computer desk that you can stand atop and jump on with no worry of it falling apart or scratching (Yes I actually did it, but while killing a bug)

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 04:52:21 pm »
 My computer desk is something I've had for over 25 years, it was one of those DIY things from Staples. In the box, it was too heavy for me to move into the house (at the store they helped me load it with a hand truck), so I had to open the box up and carry it in piece by piece. It's extremely solid, I can and have climbed on it, and it has survived at least 6 moves (the movers always complain) with no loss of structure or stability. I'm not sure if they still make one just like this, likely not. I've been looking around for something to make a new bench, and ended up getting a couple of solid core wood doors and will build a supporting frame from 2x4 lumber. I'll still have the computer desk for working from home and managing household things, this monster bench will be for my electronics and model railroading hobbies.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 05:06:22 pm »
Bush makes some reasonable RTA desks and tables.  They aren't Steelcase quality, but they aren't as expensive either.  You can look for them locally, or here is a mail order source:  http://www.bushfurniture2go.com/catalog/byType/Modular-Desks.aspx

I have the 72" version, and I have stood on it a few times, but I definitely would not jump on it  :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 05:08:59 pm by edavid »

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 09:18:15 pm »
Those Jerker desks were pretty good but the welding on the leg/bar joint left a lot to be desired. I had a friend who had one and it sheered off on one side throwing his brand spanking new Access Virus synthesizer onto the floor and a 21" Trinitron right on top of it. Fortunately insurance paid out on that one.

Offline ECEdesignTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 09:21:43 pm »
Bush makes some reasonable RTA desks and tables.  They aren't Steelcase quality, but they aren't as expensive either.  You can look for them locally, or here is a mail order source:  http://www.bushfurniture2go.com/catalog/byType/Modular-Desks.aspx

I have the 72" version, and I have stood on it a few times, but I definitely would not jump on it  :)

These seem pretty nice, wish it was a few inches deeper but 26 is still pretty good and they are pretty affordable.  I requested a quote for that Steelcase desk in my first post and haven't heard back yet but I'm afraid that it will be a small fortune.

I still could build a desk from plywood and some 4X4 for legs to make a table like Dave uses for his benches just a bit shorter for my chair.  I will have to find a source besides Lowes or Home Depot for the wood because their "furniture" grade plywood is really crap.  I know we have some real lumber yards around here, just have to find them.

I heard of the infamous Jerker desk.  looks pretty nice.

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 10:04:48 pm »
You're right but it has made me avoid the whole single vertical pole designs.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 10:05:37 pm »
I recently moved and needed a computer desk as this place didn't have a proper one, so i got an IKEA MALM : http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00214157/   (though it's cheaper here, it's about $115 plus about $15 in shipping fees

It's HEAVY, it feels solid, holds my two monitors AND my heavy desktop computer without bending on vibrating or anything... and it was relatively easy to assemble.

I'm sure there are much better desks, i just needed something that felt solid and was cheap and wide enough (i wanted room under the desk to stretch my legs and potentially put a UPS and subwoofer under the desk.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf