Author Topic: RISC-V, US vs. China: Are you kidding us?  (Read 3304 times)

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
Re: RISC-V, US vs. China: Are you kidding us?
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2023, 01:10:04 pm »
..To be more on-topic: is there an open VHDL or verilog implementation of a
small RISC-V family member? Microblaze style, just good enough for C? ..

I played with RudoIV which worked nice here, I made some mods - full 128kB internal spram for C binary, C binary stored in the bitstream flash instead of being read from UART (there is 4MB flash on ice40UP5k fpga based UPduino board)..
https://github.com/bobbl/rudolv
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 01:24:01 pm by iMo »
Readers discretion is advised..

The following users thanked this post: Gerhard_dk4xp

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2023, 03:20:23 pm »
China understands this better than we do, and is willing to use all means, fair or foul to achieve this.  Recall how they rejected established standards for CD/DVD to establish unique China standards for these services to provide a walled garden for local development.
What? Maybe I am missing or misunderstanding something.

My wife is Chinese and I have been traveling to China almost yearly for the last 25 years (although not since covid) and all CD/DVD drives, players and disks I have seen or bought there are the same as in western countries.

China pretty much skipped the VCR phase and went directly to the CD/DVD which were more prevalent in China than in America 25 years ago.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2023, 03:35:43 pm »
Hmmm... I wonder which country hosts the companies that came up with the idea of regional locks for DvDs.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 03:39:47 pm by Kim Christensen »

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2023, 12:26:09 am »
China understands this better than we do, and is willing to use all means, fair or foul to achieve this.  Recall how they rejected established standards for CD/DVD to establish unique China standards for these services to provide a walled garden for local development.

My wife is Chinese and I have been traveling to China almost yearly for the last 25 years (although not since covid) and all CD/DVD drives, players and disks I have seen or bought there are the same as in western countries.

China pretty much skipped the VCR phase and went directly to the CD/DVD which were more prevalent in China than in America 25 years ago.
Probably referencing the VCD/SVCD being promoted/prevalent over DVD:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Video_CD#History_of_development
plenty of juicy links from there about the obscure formats China tried to push (to avoid IP licensing requirements).

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2023, 02:14:51 am »

Probably referencing the VCD/SVCD being promoted/prevalent over DVD:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Video_CD#History_of_development
plenty of juicy links from there about the obscure formats China tried to push (to avoid IP licensing requirements).

I suspect you are right, but my only source is memory of an article I read probably 30-40 years ago quoting a Chinese officials statement of china's policy to keep money from going external to China and support development of local industry.  I have no knowledge of what happened internal to China subsequently.  Apparently they eventually switched to world standards.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 02:16:24 am by CatalinaWOW »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf