Author Topic: Rip arcade machine  (Read 39113 times)

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rip arcade machine
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2017, 09:14:55 pm »
Isn't he getting paid every time one of you watch this?
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

The following users thanked this post: bithead9

Offline skarecrow

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2017, 11:46:53 pm »
Isn't he getting paid every time one of you watch this?
Does he still get paid if the watcher gives a thumbs down?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Offline UshiwakaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2017, 01:20:12 am »
This dumbass and his son is poisoning an entire generation.....

He calls a joystick a "keyboard"  :palm:
He calls phosphor "silver"  :bullshit:
He calls a PCB a "chipboard" and he  T H R E W  it   :scared:
He calls a transformer a "amplifier for the energy"  :-BROKE
He punched that CRT. i was expecting him to cut his hand somehow

That guy gave me cancer, the anti-retro flavour.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 01:21:45 am by Ushiwaka »

The following users thanked this post: buck converter

Online Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2017, 01:49:45 am »
Breaking the CRT like that in a public video was legally dangerous, in our current hyperawareness of heavy metals like cadmium, mercury, and lead. His local government might declare his driveway a hazardous waste site in need of cleanup, if it was brought to their attention. He did it over the seams in the driveway too, so tearing up part of the driveway might be required.

The following users thanked this post: Ushiwaka

Offline skarecrow

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2017, 02:21:54 am »
Breaking the CRT like that in a public video was legally dangerous, in our current hyperawareness of heavy metals like cadmium, mercury, and lead. His local government might declare his driveway a hazardous waste site in need of cleanup, if it was brought to their attention. He did it over the seams in the driveway too, so tearing up part of the driveway might be required.
He deserves to get busted for that. I hope someone with the power to do so sees his video.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2017, 02:38:00 am »
That CRT contains joy (and rage) and memories of countless people....

that crt also contains vaporwave

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2017, 06:16:12 am »
He deserves to get busted for that. I hope someone with the power to do so sees his video.

I hope he is fined heavily, at least 100 X what he has generated to date in revenue from his youtube videos...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2017, 07:16:51 am »

I hope he is fined heavily, at least 100 X what he has generated to date in revenue from his youtube videos...

goddamn you're right

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2017, 08:20:04 am »

goddamn you're right

I think the EPA would be interested in seeing this video...

Offline X

• Regular Contributor
    • This is where you end up when you die...
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2017, 09:01:26 am »
With this knowledge, I can build the perfect gaming console using a TV, a chip board, some kind of amplifier for the energy, a keyboard, and a joystick with levers on it, and light bulbs for safety.

I can't find any of these parts on DigiKey or Mouser though (they're useless, I can't even find "light bulbs for safety" on the site, what shit dealers!), but I'm sure I can at least salvage a decent silver-coated TV (with a built-in wire mesh) from an old television set. I have some old TV televisions around. Perhaps Jaycar has some amplifiers for the energy.

I may have trouble with customs, border security, the AFP and local police, because as we saw in the video, a TV monitor resembles an atomic bomb. I suspect that's why they included light bulbs for safety.

They dropped TV monitors on Hiroshima back in the day (but these didn't have light bulbs for safety, and the amplifier for the energy was HUGE). Good times!

Be careful fellas, I hear North Korea wants to launch OLED monitors.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2017, 09:05:06 am »

goddamn you're right

I think the EPA would be interested in seeing this video...

how to let epa know 'bout dis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2017, 09:07:07 am »
With this knowledge, I can build the perfect gaming console using a TV, a chip board, some kind of amplifier for the energy, a keyboard, and a joystick with levers on it, and light bulbs for safety.

I can't find any of these parts on DigiKey or Mouser though (they're useless, I can't even find "light bulbs for safety" on the site, what shit dealers!), but I'm sure I can at least salvage a decent silver-coated TV (with a built-in wire mesh) from an old television set. I have some old TV televisions around. Perhaps Jaycar has some amplifiers for the energy.

I may have trouble with customs, border security, the AFP and local police, because as we saw in the video, a TV monitor resembles an atomic bomb. I suspect that's why they included light bulbs for safety.

They dropped TV monitors on Hiroshima back in the day (but these didn't have light bulbs for safety, and the amplifier for the energy was HUGE). Good times!

Be careful fellas, I hear North Korea wants to launch OLED monitors.

lol!d  :-DD

and don't forget Farnell or Maplin

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2017, 09:12:40 am »
Just to add my voice to those who find something profoundly wrong with taking a working piece of equipment like this and dismembering it with a chainsaw just for the gratification of YouTube.

But you have to admit it makes good economic sense - he must have made the purchase price many times over and let us not forget, if he bought it, he can do what he wishes with it (though he might run afoul of local waste disposal with the smashed CRT).

The utter lack of knowledge makes it even worse  |O

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2017, 09:27:01 am »
Just to add my voice to those who find something profoundly wrong with taking a working piece of equipment like this and dismembering it with a chainsaw just for the gratification of YouTube.

But you have to admit it makes good economic sense - he must have made the purchase price many times over and let us not forget, if he bought it, he can do what he wishes with it (though he might run afoul of local waste disposal with the smashed CRT).

The utter lack of knowledge makes it even worse  |O

I see cancer coming.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2017, 10:26:50 am »
Made a collection of retarded comments

every retarded comments I could find.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2017, 12:31:00 pm »
let us not forget, if he bought it, he can do what he wishes with it
There are many things in life you buy but actually do not own and should not be allowed to do with, whatever you want.
There is a big difference between ownership and caretakership, if you ever bought a valuable piece of art thats centuries old, or a house you know what I mean (hopefully).
In this case it might be not unique but the horror and uprise if some idiot billionair would burn a unique masterpiece just for youtube.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2017, 01:28:41 pm »
I just noticed something as I reviewed the video again. When he gets the top off and finds the light bulbs, he says well we better take these out and throw them away, sortof like we better be safe .... but later be busts the holy f*ck out of a dangerous CRT right out in the open.  :wtf:

I went back and looked at the video again. He says multiple time it's "sad" that he has to tear it apart - he seems to not want to. I'm thinking well then - don't.  :-//

And yes as we've said if it belongs to him he can destroy it. I've destroyed old things for fun before. But it's not like sawing into an old rusty whirlpool washer. These things have some cultural significance. I just don't understand that kind of mindset. Tearing into it (as we say here) without destroying it would have been good enough to shows the parts. He keeps saying that I can give this part and that part to someone on YouTube. Then why not take the back or side off to show the inside, leave it intact, and give it away? I don't get how the added drama of the sawing adds much to this particular item. Blah blah blah OK I'm done.

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2017, 01:50:38 pm »
I just noticed something as I reviewed the video again. When he gets the top off and finds the light bulbs, he says well we better take these out and throw them away, sortof like we better be safe .... but later be busts the holy f*ck out of a dangerous CRT right out in the open.  :wtf:

I went back and looked at the video again. He says multiple time it's "sad" that he has to tear it apart - he seems to not want to. I'm thinking well then - don't.  :-//

And yes as we've said if it belongs to him he can destroy it. I've destroyed old things for fun before. But it's not like sawing into an old rusty whirlpool washer. These things have some cultural significance. I just don't understand that kind of mindset. Tearing into it (as we say here) without destroying it would have been good enough to shows the parts. He keeps saying that I can give this part and that part to someone on YouTube. Then why not take the back or side off to show the inside, leave it intact, and give it away? I don't get how the added drama of the sawing adds much to this particular item. Blah blah blah OK I'm done.

Can somebody help me report this to EPA?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2017, 01:54:28 pm »
The turd's email is dan@whatsinside.it let him know what he really did was not ok and may have given himself and his son lead poisoning.

imma send send him a mail

Edit: How do ya guys think?

If someone wants to add something, please tell me!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 02:07:52 pm by Ushiwaka »

Offline X

• Regular Contributor
    • This is where you end up when you die...
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2017, 02:07:56 pm »
Keep in mind that almost 5 months have elapsed since this idiot uploaded the video, so they may not act on this now.

The turd's email is dan@whatsinside.it let him know what he really did was not ok and may have given himself and his son lead poisoning.

imma send send him a maild
Try not to make an arse out of yourself in the process.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 02:10:30 pm by X »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2017, 02:14:59 pm »
Keep in mind that almost 5 months have elapsed since this idiot uploaded the video, so they may not act on this now.

imma send send him a maild
Try not to make an arse out of yourself in the process.

i broke my d key

Online Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2017, 02:37:00 pm »

Anger and threats are rarely the right way to start a conversation. I'd simply point out the dangers if I sent an email at all.

There are pounds of lead mixed in the glass, which makes it a disposal problem, but not a serious handling problem, other than the sharp edges. Recycling programs can recover it by melting the glass down.

The cadmium is muich more dangerous, since it's in powder form in the phospher. Both an inhalation and a handling risk.

And of course the potential for flying glass shards when you make the tube implode.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2017, 03:30:29 pm »

Maybe something more polite?

Subject: Regarding your video tearing down an old arcade machine.

Dear Dan:

Hello.

I would like to express my concern regarding your video tearing down an old arcade machine.

I appreciate your intention of creating entertainment through this style of filmmaking, and the success of your YouTube channel certainly reflects this fact. However in some episodes you have committed unnecessary acts of destruction, and potentially have released hazards from the devices you have torn down.

In this particular instance, the arcade machine contained an old CRT that you have made to implode. An imploded old CRT tube can pose multiple acute and chronic hazards to you and your children:

* It contained cadmium in the phosphor. Cadmium is toxic in all forms, and it is carcinogenic. Breaking the CRT releases the cadmium-containing phosphor to the air surrounding it, which is then likely inhaled by you and your crew.
* Similarly, the CRT contained mercury. Mercury is toxic in almost all forms. It can result in chronic bone malformations. Breaking the CRT releases mercury as vapor into the air, which is then inhaled by you and your crew.
* The CRT is likely to be built from leaded glass. While the leaded glass don't release the toxic lead element easily, if not properly processed the lead element can leech out eventually from the glass and be released into the environment. Lead is also a highly toxic element in all forms, especially toxic to children and can result in developmental issues in the long run.
* Imploding CRT creates glass shards, which can slice and pierce human flesh easily. It will be difficult to remove the minuscule glass shards that is buried inside your flesh, but without it being removed it will result in a lot of sharp pains. Lead in the leaded glass can leech out of the glass even faster if embedded in flesh.

Also, for the arcade machine itself, it is likely an item of cultural importance, and often comes under the interest of preservers and collectors. Destruction of such an item goes against the principal of preserving our digital heritage.

As a better replacement of this destructive style of tear down, you can use the technique of reverse engineering to produce non-destructive tear downs. For this style of arcade machines it is often adequate to remove a few screws from the chassis to reveal its internals, and by unplugging electrical connectors and removing fasteners each individual component can be extracted without being damaged. This way you can still reveal the internals of the machine but the machine would not be damaged, no hazardous material would be released, and no cultural heritage would be damaged. If you need further assistance on reverse engineering and tear downs, you can contact the iFixit team, as they are professional repairmen, engineer and technician that routinely produces reverse engineered tear downs of all kinds of electronic gadgets. This will also better teach your son the working principal behind the gadgets being reverse engineered, as part of the STEM skills he can acquire.

Yours Sincerely,

Add links as appropriate to pages from reliable sources, to make this Email look even more convincing. And we may need an aggregate of signatories.

Offline buck converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2017, 06:00:18 pm »
Reply to this post if you want your name at the bottom or if i should add anything, remember to focus on health/ hazard concerns rather than concerns about it's cultural value. Should i also add a link to this thread? :-//
Just me and my scope.

Offline Octane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2017, 09:44:32 pm »
Count me in....
W4MFT

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf