Author Topic: Anyone ever put a stack of Lithium Polymer cells inside there portable o-scope?  (Read 2999 times)

Offline pullin-gsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
1st Post!
Share your experience putting a LIPO battery w/charge circuit in your oscilloscope (Rigor, ATTEN, etc.).
Is grounding requirement a showstopper?
Having a portable scope which needs no power cord has advantages.
Most (all?) field work I do  is troubleshooting telecommunications circuit waveform problems. 
Would my traces be crap even if I clipped the scope to frame-ground?

What kind of "scope-time" do you get before batteries are depleted (%80 capacity...take it down further and the cells are toast)?
What is your charge circuit?
Internal?
Integrated using scope's PS?
External?

Respectfully,

Paul Blakeslee
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:32:54 pm by pullin-gs »

Online ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
Your traces will be fine.  The main problem with battery powering a scope that is designed to be earthed is safety.  If you connect the ground clip to a live wire, the whole scope becomes live, including the bnc shields on any unused channels, and any IO connectors. 

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Your traces will be fine.  The main problem with battery powering a scope that is designed to be earthed is safety.  If you connect the ground clip to a live wire, the whole scope becomes live, including the bnc shields on any unused channels, and any IO connectors.
Some battery scopes (e.g. Owon) tend to have plastic outer shells on the BNCs.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

alm

Many battery powered scopes have insulated BNC connectors. This is the only safe way to go, in my opinion, since there is no way to ensure that the reference lead is at a safe potential. Manuals for some bench scopes with battery state that the scope should be connected to ground with a separate grounding wire when used with potentials above ~30 V RMS or so. Insulated BNC connectors are much more fragile, especially when mated with standard BNC hardware, so they're rarely used for grounded bench scopes.

Apart from this, I don't see any signal integrity issues, since the inductance of the long wire to the grounding rod is way too high to be of any use at typical oscilloscope frequencies. Keep in mind that even a 6" ground lead causes ringing with fast edges.

Offline pullin-gsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Thanks all.....sounds like a neat mod (adding lithium battery to scope).
I'll have to give it a go once I get another scope....my 20-lb analog scope would require a 20 pound battery, so that will never happen!:D

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
I have an old telequipment valve scope that is made to take some form of rechargeable battery internally, I don't have the battery but the compartment and terminals are there. The case is metal so what the safety factor is when run on batteries or external dc power source which it also has I cannot imagine. The only reason I keep the unit is it would not be worth selling it and if I have something I want to have a look at which has high voltage or spikes on the voltage I can have look without worrying about blowing the thing up, valve circuits seem to be immune from high voltage spikes and even if I did blow this unit up I would not cry about it.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
I have an old telequipment valve scope that is made to take some form of rechargeable battery internally, I don't have the battery but the compartment and terminals are there. The case is metal so what the safety factor is when run on batteries or external dc power source which it also has I cannot imagine. The only reason I keep the unit is it would not be worth selling it and if I have something I want to have a look at which has high voltage or spikes on the voltage I can have look without worrying about blowing the thing up, valve circuits seem to be immune from high voltage spikes and even if I did blow this unit up I would not cry about it.
Of course they do , they run at a few hundred-thousand volts !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf