Author Topic: Renesas to buy Altium  (Read 163789 times)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Renesas to buy Altium
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2024, 01:02:02 pm »
It was a great example of a tool that does just one job really well - the reason I bought it in the first place is that it had clearly been written from scratch using Windows conventions, and not inheriting stuff from old tools that had roots in DOS days.
I'm not sure Windows-isms (or GUI-isms) in general are always a good thing. In my workflow I never place elements which need to be placed accurate using a mouse. I always enter coordinates. As Allegro stems from a typical Unix / AutoCAD workflow, it has a command line. So I can enter 'x 5.423 1.234' to place an element at exactly that location (and continue with the next element when drawing a shape outline for example). In Altium you have to press CTRL-l after which a popup appears in which you can enter coordinates. The latter is rather cumbersome because you have to alternate between keyboard and mouse; it is more work.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 01:16:17 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2024, 02:15:33 pm »
It was a great example of a tool that does just one job really well - the reason I bought it in the first place is that it had clearly been written from scratch using Windows conventions, and not inheriting stuff from old tools that had roots in DOS days.
I'm not sure Windows-isms (or GUI-isms) in general are always a good thing.
Maybe not for some specific situations, but for new users, it is always a bad thing when software uses an unconventional approach for no  reason other than some arbitary decision taken years or decades ago before Windows was a thing.
When I first evaluated Accel as it was known then, it was running on Win95, and it was the only package that was sufficiently intuitive that a Windows user  could do useful work after a few hours' experimenting.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2024, 04:58:50 pm »
They should have buried AD in a very deep hole after they bought PCAD. Instead they continued working on their own garbage. They didn't even look at the code in PCAD which unlike AD does work. Because if they would have, push and shove routing, polygon pours and many other things would not be such a disaster.

If you can’t beat them, buy them.

The following users thanked this post: Smokey

Offline GreggD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2024, 08:11:54 pm »
Altium stock chart and news stories.
Still trading today.
Some analysts had it rated as a sell.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/ALU.AX/

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2024, 11:49:08 pm »
Altium stock chart and news stories.
Still trading today.
Some analysts had it rated as a sell.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/ALU.AX/

Just a formality really. Shares can be compulsorily acquired once they have bought enough to meet the threshold. The bank that is part of the loan arrangement for Renesas has been buying shares for months.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2024, 02:58:23 pm »
Reps still caling me to get back on subscription. Essentially asking me "what it would take". Told her I would never upgrade as long as the standard tier is site locked. Her reaction: "wuh?". When I explained she was rather worried for other folks she already sold the "upgrade" to.

So she's checking with "the technical people".

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2024, 09:31:51 pm »
So what's the next acquistion?
Intel buying Microchip? That would be a good one. :-DD

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2024, 11:00:45 pm »

Intel just spun out Altera  :-DD

Offline NF6X

• Supporter
    • Mark's Green Pages
« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2024, 11:04:21 pm »

Oooh, maybe they want to borrow Atmel (via Microchip) next!

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2024, 11:06:49 pm »
Yes, they're betting all on AI now, for sure that will save both Intel and the planet!
https://www.wired.com/story/intel-ceo-pat-gelsinger-ai-comeback/

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2024, 11:14:27 pm »

I missed that news until now but it is hardly surprising.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2024, 12:18:11 pm »
Reps still caling me to get back on subscription. Essentially asking me "what it would take". Told her I would never upgrade as long as the standard tier is site locked. Her reaction: "wuh?". When I explained she was rather worried for other folks she already sold the "upgrade" to.

So she's checking with "the technical people".

:popcorn: :popcorn:
Single site sounds like a very outdated model. By reading through the EULA, you cannot use it for working from home, you would need the continental license for it, that's a lot more expensive. Only to be able to use it on the same laptop from home. Altium, change the EULA please, this isn't 2018 anymore.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2024, 03:05:16 pm »
Can you imagine? Caving in after the 20th call from a rep, shelling out for the subscription renewal, comming home; opening your laptop to get some more work done and... nothing.  :-DD

Online brumbarchris

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2024, 06:05:43 am »
Well, just as a fun fact, the Renesas takeover starts to make itself felt. I have had some very old post on the Altium Forum being revived and answered (asking for more information) by a ...Renesas company representative!

Regards,
Cristian

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, johnboxall, thm_w, Kean

Offline Sal AmmoniacTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #139 on: August 01, 2024, 02:33:23 pm »
Renesas completed its acquisition of Altium today. It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, changes at both companies.
"That's not even wrong" -- Wolfgang Pauli

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2024, 01:47:40 am »
Renesas completed its acquisition of Altium today. It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, changes at both companies.

Yep, there it is.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2024, 03:35:30 am »
Wondering how many employees are getting fired after this acquisition.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2024, 03:37:03 am »
Well, just as a fun fact, the Renesas takeover starts to make itself felt. I have had some very old post on the Altium Forum being revived and answered (asking for more information) by a ...Renesas company representative!

Regards,
Cristian

Hopefully Altium deals with people in a more... Japanese, customer-centric approach in the future. Bring on the omotenashi.

Offline mk_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2024, 06:17:23 am »
Chris and I yapping on for an hour about the acquisition:
https://theamphour.com/659-altium-acquired/
WTF!  No PCAD love in the history? :) 
(Altium killed my favorite layout software :( ...)
I still use PCAD2006 every day. Fortunately later Windows versions haven't broken it and it's extremely stable.
I've had it since it was called Accel ( formerly Tango).
You can in principle import PCAD to Altium, though it took my customer a couple of days to fix up a complex board with blind vias to be useable in Altium.

Well... still running PCAD2006 daily too, the only thing I`m missing is some kind of 3D-exporting into other tools. Anyway, Pulsonix reads PCAD-files  without problems.

The following users thanked this post: Smokey

Offline Sal AmmoniacTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2024, 03:07:22 pm »

I would expect the number to be low, since there isn't much, if any, overlap in product lines. Perhaps it will be restricted to infrastructure positions like administration and the like.
"That's not even wrong" -- Wolfgang Pauli

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2024, 05:12:35 pm »
I'm wondering how long it will take before Altium is spun out again and sold to Cadence for a quarter of what Altium is worth now.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #146 on: August 02, 2024, 09:41:54 pm »
I would expect the number to be low, since there isn't much, if any, overlap in product lines. Perhaps it will be restricted to infrastructure positions like administration and the like.

Plenty of overlap can be claimed in stuff like finance, HR, marketing, support, etc. if they wanted to cut they can make huge cuts. Of course it wouldn't make sense to do it in terms of quality.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #147 on: August 03, 2024, 01:53:06 pm »
I'm wondering how long it will take before Altium is spun out again and sold to Cadence for a quarter of what Altium is worth now.
I don't know about a Cadence buyout, but my guess is 3-5 years for a complete spinoff or they pull an Altera/Intel move and do a "soft spinoff"...
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2024, 04:24:01 am »
Never. Cadence doesn't want Altium users. Different market. They don't want to handle this volume of users. Cadence lives off 100 users with multimillion dollar installs ( so to speak). Altium lives of 10.000 users with 10.000$ installs. Most cadence users do so as part of a larger package with the IC design tools. Buy Opus/Dracula/Concept and get Allegro free.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #149 on: August 15, 2024, 07:33:19 am »
It's a Japanese company. They will happily own completely different industries. I worked long time ago at a company, that was a concrete manufacturer. Because concrete is moved by ships, they bought a ship manufacturer. And I was in the EMS section, that was manufacturing PCBAs for industrial washing machines, and JVC car radios. It doesn't have to make sense.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf