Author Topic: Religious technical opinions  (Read 11898 times)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Religious technical opinions
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2022, 03:01:32 pm »
The picture above (on the previous page) does not do justice to my experience with people from Finland though  ;D I used to have a favorite restaurant in Helsinki.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2022, 06:03:48 pm »
Can't resist. People who program Python may find this familiar.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2022, 03:31:01 am »
As to tabs/spaces, I don't have any trouble using whatever the project I'm working on.  I do have a personal preference, but it's about as strong as my preference for ice cream flavours, or pizza.  (I don't get fazed by pineapple on pizza, either.)

See, I'm from New Jersey, and if you even mention "pineapple on pizza" in New Jersey, you'll be met with an armed response, and not just from the made guys sitting in the back of the pizza shop with their little notebooks counting out cash.
And how & why would people from New Jersey get upset about an Italian dish?

... because what we in New Jersey called "pizza" is not really what residents of Italy would call pizza. Though it's been made by Italian immigrants for generations and these folks are protective of it. \

I can point to the time when I realized that the mob's influence in Hoboken, NJ, was waning -- when a Domino's pizza franchise opened on that city's main drag, Washington St. No way the mobsters of Sinatra's generation would have allowed that. Allow, the "product" sold by Domino's is not pizza. There are ongoing discussions about whether it's even food.

Due to lack of a local cultural heritage they may feel connected to Italy because their ancesters came from there a couple of centuries ago but most likely they don't even know where Italy is.  8)

It's funny you mention this, because ... you're right. There was a story arc on "The Sopranos" in which Tony and his crew go to Sicily for a meeting with the mob there, and they're typically and hilariously way out of their league and out of touch. But it does point out how Italian culture in the USA has diverged from Italy.

Don't get me started on the Italian-Americans' completely misguided adoration of Christopher Columbus.

Meanwhile in Italy: https://florianscafe.it/menu/ Random pizzeria in Rome, Italy where they have pizza Hawaii on the menu.  :popcorn:
Truly the mob is dead!

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2022, 06:46:53 am »
The picture above (on the previous page) does not do justice to my experience with people from Finland though  ;D I used to have a favorite restaurant in Helsinki.
That is the very nature of stereotypes, isn't it?

(I have dutch in-laws, and that was absolutely the most annoying pair of stereotypes I could come up with.  As to Finns, it is absolutely true that if a Finn stares at you, they are just wondering what you think about them; and that many, many Finns avoid speaking foreign languages they know, because they think you might find their accent ridiculous or difficult to understand.  I can tell an exchange student in ten minutes how to get Finns to approach them and interact with happily, anywhere in Finland: it's somewhat similar to how you do it with horses, really.)

Offline dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2022, 11:13:54 am »
Amazing discussion. Still on page 4 one can read opinions about spaces and tabs..

Regards, Dieter

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2022, 12:24:24 pm »
Amazing discussion. Still on page 4 one can read opinions about spaces and tabs..
And pizza.
It's about religions, after all.
And gif is pronounced as the 'ghi' in 'Studio Ghibli'.

Meanwhile in Italy: https://florianscafe.it/menu/ Random pizzeria in Rome, Italy where they have pizza Hawaii on the menu.  :popcorn:
:'(

Probably trying to cater to a mostly non-local patronage, given where it is located and how it presents itself.
Also a lunch place for office workers in the area.

Eh, when in Rome do as the Romans do.
Being (also) one I go here for Napoli style pizza - just a nice pizzeria in my neighbourhood, nothing fancy, but some 'experimental' pizza now and then - still no pineapple in sight. Not cheap though.
For Roman style pizza, I have other places.

Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf