Author Topic: QWave defender - snake oil bullshit overload  (Read 14668 times)

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
QWave defender - snake oil bullshit overload
« on: May 15, 2015, 10:27:33 pm »
wow.... just wow.....

http://quwave.com/defender.html

and in case you weren't paranoid enough...

We have received requests from Targeted Individuals to provide a security seal on the Defender Products, so we now have available a special Tamper-Evident Seal. This Security Seal is for Targeted Individuals who are concerned that their mail may be intercepted, and during shipping someone may tamper or disable the product

Contributions to buy one for teardown anyone?

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Re: QWave defender - snake oil bullshit overload
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 10:32:44 pm »
It doesn't matter if 10,000 videos show this to be bullshit, the people buying these will not listen.

You can't reason someone out of something they never reasoned themselves in to in the first place.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 10:43:21 pm »
It doesn't matter if 10,000 videos show this to be bullshit, the people buying these will not listen.

You can't reason someone out of something they never reasoned themselves in to in the first place.
True, but it would be fun to see if it actually does nothing, or something just enough to convince idiots who don't know better - my guess is maybe an oscillator or two.
Wonder if it's FCC approved. Oh wait, The FFC is a Gov'mnt conspiracy to prevent people selling devices to guard against being tele-whateverd.
Rumour has it  there's is a top-secret annex to FCC standards covering scalar waves  ;D

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:52:41 pm »
There's some brazen individuals out there ready to con the ignorant and stupid.   ???

Personally I rely on my Qlink pendant to ward off such attacks.   :-DD

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff

Offline 128er

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 11:11:00 pm »
Just do it, Mike! Wanna see a video where you rant about this shit  ;D

P.S.

I would donate a few bucks, only to see that. Too many times I want to buy shit like this for tearing it apart. But esoteric/audiophile crap often costs more than some good TM gear. That's not worth it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:21:27 pm by 128er »

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 01:52:00 am »
It is awful that people sell this shit, when a tinfoil hat is all that's needed.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 02:01:22 am »
Oh my ...  :palm:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 02:13:52 am »
I know Sol Feggio.  He lived 2 houses down in the old neighborhood.  His momma made great cannolis :-+
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 02:29:43 am »
Hey wait a sec - it says:

ARE YOU CONSTANTLY BEING:

• Treated like a Targeted Individual?
• Subject to Remote Brain Manipulation?
• Subjected to Electronic Harassment?

Does this forum qualify?  ;)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 05:50:20 am »

I suspect you won't find anything the least bit interesting, just some bodged up transmitter of some description.
You can't debunk some pseudoscience gadget in any meaningful way that "takes weeks to feel the positive effects", I wouldn't bother.
It's like trying to debunk that people can hear god speaking to them.
All you can do is laugh at them.

Offline Armxnian

• Regular Contributor
  • Computer Engineering Student
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 07:02:43 am »
Next is a kick starter project that siphons energy from a parallel universe to save money on your electrical bill.

Offline Artlav

• Frequent Contributor
    • Orbital Designs
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 08:19:41 am »
Next is a kick starter project that siphons energy from a parallel universe to save money on your electrical bill.
Until the inhabitants of that universe invade ours to convince us to cut it off.
So buy our alien repellent wave generator TODAY, for only $999.95!

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 09:15:59 am »

I suspect you won't find anything the least bit interesting, just some bodged up transmitter of some description.
You can't debunk some pseudoscience gadget in any meaningful way that "takes weeks to feel the positive effects", I wouldn't bother.
It's like trying to debunk that people can hear god speaking to them.
All you can do is laugh at them.
Probably true, but if it turned out to be literally nothing but a LED, it would prove that it's a scam.
Not all of their potential customers will be "Believers", they will be people too ignorant to see through their bullshit and/or too desperate to find a solution to whatever they think their problem is. Exposing it might deter at least some of these victims  from being conned.
I would **Love** to see this lot being shut down by the Feds, though they've been at it so long that I'm sure they've covered themselves well enough to be able to bail out if the shit comes down.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 09:56:58 am »
These 'manufacturers' prey on the sick of mind. Some poor sods really believe that the 'State' is out to get them and other weird stuff involving EM waves. This is a ready made market for 'magic' black boxes and those who 'invent' them.

Taking a positive view on the sad situation though....if you make a black box with simple non-effective contents and then convince a 'sufferer' that it is a special magic solution to all their concerns you may actually benefit them with the Placebo effect. If the 'patient' believes in the cure, positive effects may be experienced by them.

The price has to be enough to a) make a massive profit for the seller and b) convince the 'patient' that it costs enough to actually be effective.

Its a complex situation where there is little doubt that sick people are being preyed upon, yet weirdly they may also benefit as detailed above.

The weak of mind will always be vulnerable to manipulation by others, and I am not talking about some weird Government influences here. If anything can be done to help them then that is OK by me BUT extreme rip off's designed to bleed them dry of cash is a very different matter.

Dave says he would just laugh at such people and those who believe in a God speaking to them........ Hmmm that seems just plain mean and not good Karma. Pity those you believe to be afflicted, do not mock them eh ?  I am Agnostic which means I am open minded on all matters relating to religion  ;)

On a lighter note, has anyone else seen the TV series "The IT crowd" episode where the poor lass is given a black box by the geeks and told that it contains the worlds Internet ? Convincing people of something that they cannot prove or see is not that hard if you act with confidence  ;)

Worth a look and a laugh  :)

Aurora
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:14:27 am by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline JBaughb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 10:54:08 am »
This was my favorite photo from that site. Its their render of what the "remote torturing" software might look like

Although looking through the options, one of them is orgasm. I wonder if this is on pirate bay? hmm....

Offline JBaughb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 11:03:50 am »
Ive been going down a rabbit hole of information from this blog. The device claims to make something called Scalar Waves, apparently something discovered in the 1800s, well known by Albert Einstein and Nikola Tesla.

According to this site, it also has something to do with FREE ENERGY!!! Everyones favorite topic.

http://www.whitetv.se/mind-control-mk-ultra/213-100-years-scalar-waves-conspiracy.html

Offline Flump

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 11:03:57 am »

I will put £10 in the pot

people like these need to be exposed

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 11:07:16 am »
Microsoft TorturePaint Pro 6.66 (Devil Edition)

Their disclaimer says it all.
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 11:33:25 am »
Probably true, but if it turned out to be literally nothing but a LED, it would prove that it's a scam.
Not all of their potential customers will be "Believers", they will be people too ignorant to see through their bullshit and/or too desperate to find a solution to whatever they think their problem is. Exposing it might deter at least some of these victims  from being conned.
I would **Love** to see this lot being shut down by the Feds, though they've been at it so long that I'm sure they've covered themselves well enough to be able to bail out if the shit comes down.

Which is why my guess is the box actually transmits something, that would likely cover their arse.
So if it is empty, you've got them. If not,  |O
If it was me, and the box didn't transmit anything, then I'd do a video exposing it, otherwise I'd steer clear, just like I do with testing audiophool myths. Because it can potentially give them ammunition to use out of context.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:36:10 am by EEVblog »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2015, 11:45:28 am »
Actually, on 2nd thought, if it does transmit then it might very well need FCC certification which I doubt it has. So could be damned if they do, damned if they don't.
If the authorities won't shut them down for a scam, the FCC will more likely happily knock on their door. But if they were smart then it would be some low level thing under the requirements.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2015, 12:01:22 pm »
Ah - hahaha! I was just looking at the website and got a popup - they have a Mother's day sale!

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2015, 12:24:12 pm »
I think this can be considered a scam to people with mental illness such as schizophrenia.  But wait, that's what most sect-like organizations do too...

Offline deephaven

• Frequent Contributor
  • Civilization is just one big bootstrap
    • Deephaven Ltd
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2015, 12:34:22 pm »
Actually, on 2nd thought, if it does transmit then it might very well need FCC certification which I doubt it has. So could be damned if they do, damned if they don't.
If the authorities won't shut them down for a scam, the FCC will more likely happily knock on their door. But if they were smart then it would be some low level thing under the requirements.

It could have an internal loop antenna feeding a dummy load, so it wouldn't have illegal tranmissions but still satisfy the unsuspecting that it is doing something. Hang on, why am I taking this so seriously... :-DD

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2015, 03:22:19 pm »
My bet is that this is a LED in a box.

Reminds me of this:
http://www.dansdata.com/empower.htm

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf