Author Topic: Question scratches CRT TV  (Read 4167 times)

Offline micksmelanieTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Question scratches CRT TV
« on: July 08, 2020, 06:51:53 pm »

Is there a product to remove scratches on the glass of the CRT TV screen?

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: Question scratches CRT TV
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 07:02:01 pm »
If there ever was something marketed particularly for this, it was discontinued a long time ago. IMHO process should be the same as doing so on car windshields.

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 07:20:39 pm »
Depending on how long and how deep the scratch is, that CRT could be a ticking time bomb!  If you want to scare yourself, go to youtube and search for <CRT implosion>.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 07:44:33 pm »
Depending on how long and how deep the scratch is, that CRT could be a ticking time bomb!  If you want to scare yourself, go to youtube and search for <CRT implosion>.
Nonsense, to crack a 10mm+ thick screen you need a sledgehammer, not some scratch.
EDIT: BTW I smashed a few CRTs, not that scary IMHO.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 07:51:59 pm by wraper »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 08:02:55 pm »
The screen is very strong. The bell of the tube is vulnerable though, I had a close call once about 20 years ago. I had replaced a worn out tube in an arcade game monitor and went to toss the old one in the dumpster at my apartment complex. It fell short and the funnel hit the hinge of the dumpster, there was an enormous BOOM and fragments of glass sprayed around about a 10 foot radius. Somehow I was unscathed but my ears were ringing.

A light scratch on the face is nothing to worry about safety-wise. If it isn't too deep you may be able to polish it out with some buffing compound.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: amyk, tooki

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 09:39:13 pm »
Yes, I've heard where a little kid was banging on the CRT with a hammer and no problems.  I've also heard of an electron gun assembly shooting out through the face of the tube.  YMMV.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 10:01:55 pm »
The correct answer is going to depend on the CRT involved and the degree of damage. Some injuries are beyond fixing.

If there's an anti-glare coating (often found in professional equipment, and sometimes in consumer stuff), the CRT itself may be fine -- the fix is to disassemble/remove/replace that plastic filter.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 12:10:13 am »
I've also heard of an electron gun assembly shooting out through the face of the tube.  YMMV.
That's likely because of an implosion that started around the funnel. The face is curved to withstand atmosphere from the outside, so pressure from the inside will burst it far more easily.

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 05:46:42 am »
I remember knocking the neck off dead tubes prior to disposing of them and I've had the gun impact the face of the tube but I don't think it's going to shoot through it unless the whole tube implodes causing cracks to propagate through the face. As long as the funnel is protected it's virtually impossible for a "modern" tube to implode.

Offline micksmelanieTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 12:21:32 pm »

shallow scratches

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 12:57:33 pm »
in the early days of tv they put special plastic sheets in front of them to protect you if they went kablooie ... good riddance of those vacuum horrors...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 02:11:37 pm »
in the early days of tv they put special plastic sheets in front of them to protect you if they went kablooie ... good riddance of those vacuum horrors...
Likely because early CRT did not have implosion protection band and other features preventing implosion.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 08:29:29 pm »
Yes, the front screen went with the introduction of the external implosion band (and colour) - which also provided the mounting points necessary for the more modern 'pushed through' appearance.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 08:33:25 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 10:49:04 pm »
Yes, the front screen went with the introduction of the external implosion band (and colour) - which also provided the mounting points necessary for the more modern 'pushed through' appearance.

That "pushed through" appearance is bizarre to me, I've only ever seen it in pictures of some UK/European TVs. I've never, ever seen a CRT TV in North America that didn't have a bezel around the face of the tube.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2020, 01:27:33 am »
A bezel was sort of necessary to keep the tube in the set. But the Philco Predicta from the late 1950's came pretty close to no bezel. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predicta

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2020, 03:26:27 am »
A bezel was sort of necessary to keep the tube in the set. But the Philco Predicta from the late 1950's came pretty close to no bezel. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predicta

Isn't the tube usually held in by a strap of some kind? i.e. the bezel you see is cosmetic.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2020, 04:24:50 am »
Held into what?
I have been inside several computer CRT monitors and they all bolt the CRT's band into the bezel. The bezel is then connected to the base where the stand is attached. You clearly can't support the tube from the bottom, you have to support it from the front.

On older TV sets I have seen (1940s), there is frequently a support around the gun area. I have never seen anything like that in a 1970s or later display.

To the OP, the antireflective coating is what generally picks up scratches. In some cases the glass may be scratched, but remember that it's barium-lead doped glass and is hard and dense. Either way, there is nothing you can do to remove the scratches. Don't under any circumstances try to polish the glass, it will absolutely ruin it. Get used to the scratches and you'll find they are not very visible after all.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2020, 04:27:53 am »
The chassis...obviously...

BTW the OP was banned earlier for shilling an aliexpress store. He has left the building.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2020, 05:04:01 am »
There are lots of open frame monitors that have no bezel. Most arcade monitors have the tube bolted to an open metal frame, the bezel is cosmetic and attaches to the cabinet, sometimes it's a vacuum molded plastic piece, other times it's just a cardboard thing.

Offline classicsamus87

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2020, 11:10:00 am »
my crt has some scratches and i need a product to apply with fabric on the glass and remove the scratch

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2020, 07:13:52 pm »
Try an immersion gel - it fills in cracks and scratches, has the same refractive index as glass and therefore hides defects-no change in density. It is inexpensive, does not require any special application, if it does not help , it is not a pity.
https://aliexpress.ru/item/4000972107338.html
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 07:42:24 pm by S. Petrukhin »
And sorry for my English.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2020, 07:20:59 pm »
If that doesn't work (and the scratch is not deep) you can get abrasive polishing compound that will work on glass, but you will want a power tool to do it, a polishing wheel on an electric drill will work. It works by gently grinding away glass to smooth the surface so it takes a good deal of mechanical effort to accomplish.

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2020, 07:37:46 pm »
What's the stuff they used in microscope slides? Canada Balsam?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_balsam

Do they still make it? Sounds harmless and cheap.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2020, 07:39:49 pm »
The stuff I've used is called polishing rouge or jeweler's rouge, it comes as a bar that has a hard waxy consistency.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf