Author Topic: Question conector cartridge and microSD contacts electrical  (Read 3389 times)

Offline micksmelanieTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Video game cartridge PCB connector and microSD card connector and microSD card the 3 have gold contacts contact how many inserts are needed to remove this golden layer and render the cartridge, SD connector and microSD card useless?

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: Question conector cartridge and microSD contacts electrical
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 11:26:58 am »
Hundreds, if not thousands? Probably less if it was cheap Chinese crap, but many decades worth if built properly.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 12:12:04 pm »
I just want to know how many inserts and exits are supported by these 3 devices until the golden layer is exhausted and the devices are useless

I have SD HC card, MicroSD card, devices with microSD connector and SD HC connector, and Snes cartridges ex. SD2Snes Pro China all these products purchased on Aliexpress

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 08:08:38 pm »
Typically those connectors are rated for 5000 to 10000 insertions.

This is actually a parameter specified in the datasheet. So if you have the exact part number, then you can know for sure. If you don't know the part number, then lookup something similar to get the general idea.
Alex

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 08:53:48 pm »
Even if the gold wears through to the copper they'll still work, just a little bit less reliably.
I don't think I've ever seen that happen... and the numbers ataradov gives show why.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 09:31:25 pm »
I do not know the exact number of the pieces I know it is a Chinese copy of the sd2snes Rev X cartridge, the other is a microSD card and SD HC card and lastly a microSD connector of that sd2snes probably chinese item

« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 09:35:58 pm by micksmelanie »

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 09:39:02 pm »
It does not really matter. It will be in the 1000s of cycles. Wear of the gold is not really the problem. Even if it wears, the copper underneath will still work fine. The bigger concern is the locking mechanism, which will probably be the first to go anyway.
Alex

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 09:39:25 pm »
After 10,000 insertions what will happen? does the device die?

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 09:41:21 pm »
No, the resistance of the contact will increase. They typically specify a number of cycles and a maximum increase in the resistance.

Typically increased resistance is not an issue and things will continue to work.

Again, the bigger concern is the mechanical wear on the locking mechanism. With cheap holders it is hard to predict what will happen.

You realize how many 10000 insertion is? You are not going to wear it, don't worry about it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 09:42:56 pm by ataradov »
Alex

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 09:57:53 pm »
I don't have the number of items so I'm in doubt if the insertion cycle for these 3 items is 1000, 5000 or 10000? gold contact of an sd2snes cartridge, gold contact of the SD HC and MicroSD card and the microSD gold blade connector

What is beneath the golden contact layer of these 3 items? in some SNES cartridges is the golden layer removed and underneath is a silver layer? how many layers in total?

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2020, 10:00:46 pm »
It is not silver, it is likely nickel, which is used for gold plating. Then there is bare copper of the PCB track.

What is your actual problem? Why do you need this information?
Alex

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 10:17:23 pm »

This information I want to clarify because I had these doubts about the durability and wear of the golden connectors of the snes cartridge and the SD HC and MicroSD card and the connector that receives the microSD card

I'm in doubt if the insertion cycle for these 3 items is 1000, 5000 or 10000? gold contact of an sd2snes cartridge, gold contact of the SD HC and MicroSD card and the microSD gold blade connector

the degradation of the Snes cartridge contacts the first layer is golden, then there is this silver layer that you say is nickel after scraping the nickel the cartridge stops working?

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2020, 10:20:02 pm »
Why do you need to know this? If you are not sure, just assume the lowest reasonable number - 1000 or so.

No, it will go down to copper and the cartridge will continue to work.

In this scenario the connector in the SNES will go first. It is also rated for similar number of insertion cycles.
Alex

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2020, 10:59:25 pm »
1000 is for the cartridge or the cartridge connector present in the video game or microSD and SD HC card or the card connector?

on the cartridge contacts is the first layer copper? when removing copper comes nickel and after nickel?

is there a problem if i keep a microSD card inserted in the connector for many years?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 11:01:02 pm by micksmelanie »

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2020, 11:02:44 pm »
Any of them. This is just a reasonable number. Do you want me to tell the exact number for a board and connectors you don't have nay information about? It is impossible.

And this whole discussion is pointless unless you have a really good reason. And I doubt it.

All those things will survive decades of careful use.

No, there are no issues in keeping the card inserted.

The stack is PCB-Copper-Nickel-Gold. And you are not wearing through copper by inserting the connector. It is just not going to happen,
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 11:04:43 pm by ataradov »
Alex

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2020, 11:31:40 pm »
someone told me that if i keep the microSD card inserted in the connector for many years will this connector lose contact pressure of the blades? that's true?

the golden contacts of the cartridge and the microSD card are in the sequence first copper, then nickel and lastly the exposed golden layer? joining the 3 layers what is the insertion cycle?

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2020, 12:23:54 am »
someone told me that if i keep the microSD card inserted in the connector for many years will this connector lose contact pressure of the blades? that's true?
This is one of those things that sounds like it would make sense, but it does not. Don't worry about it.

the golden contacts of the cartridge and the microSD card are in the sequence first copper, then nickel and lastly the exposed golden layer? joining the 3 layers what is the insertion cycle?
Until copper physically wear out. Probably 100000+ cycles.
Alex

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2020, 01:21:33 am »
how to explain that a microSD card inserted in the connector will not cause the connector to lose pressure and its contact blades to wear out due to the fact that the card is pressing?is best remove card long time storage?

100000 cycles for copper-nickel-gold are they present in the contacts of all sd and microsd cartridges and cards?

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2020, 01:27:45 am »
Spring metal used in the contacts is used in a lot of other permanent contact applications. It is the same metal used in the regular connectors. It will not lose springiness. Again, it is one of those things that seems to make sense, but don't in reality. But if you are paranoid, then remove the cards.

I have no idea. You are asking very esoteric and generic questions. How would I (or anyone else for that matter) know how ALL the cards in the world are made.

You are worrying about stuff not worth worrying about.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, tooki, Ysjoelfir

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2020, 11:01:17 am »
The microSD connector I am referring to is this, see that it has golden sheets when the microSD card is inserted. These sheets are forced to come into contact, but if the microSD card remains inserted for a long time, do these sheets remain strong without losing contact pressure? was an electronic technician friend who gave me this information but I wanted to find out the truth

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/attachments/50-pcs-8pin-conector-slot-para-cart-o-micro-sd-smd-4-p-s-fixos-cart-jpg.125639/

why some SD HC connector for me to pull the card before it is necessary to push down to unlock and the card comes out of the connector?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:03:09 am by micksmelanie »

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2020, 05:58:30 pm »
The whole world of connectors is based on the fact that spring metal maintains its springiness.

Again, you are worrying about stuff that you should not worry about? You are making your life harder for no apparent reason.

I don't understand your last question. There are different designs for card eject mechanism on the connectors.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 06:00:25 pm by ataradov »
Alex

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2020, 10:53:58 pm »
I am starting to suspect you are talking to a troll. ::)

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Ysjoelfir, GlennSprigg

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2020, 10:09:31 pm »
What would cause contact pressure loss of the microSD and SD connector blades?

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2020, 10:13:31 pm »
This is a very generic question. A direct hit by the atomic bomb would do that for sure.  Deliberate bending of the contacts would do that as well. Many other external actions.

Normal use should not cause any issues. Those things are designed to be used in that way.
Alex

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2020, 10:16:12 pm »

does keeping the microSD and SD HC card always inserted for many years do not permanently change the position of the blades when the card is removed?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf