Author Topic: Question about salvaged parts and chips...  (Read 2951 times)

Offline timckiTopic starter

• Contributor
Question about salvaged parts and chips...
« on: August 27, 2012, 01:18:14 am »
Okay I have finished destroying..... Ahem, recycling chips and parts off of an old circa 2000 Sharp tv.

I have taken the part numbers and googled most of them to see what they are and what the do...

The question ...
I came across a dip labeled 1x3395cen2 Sharp.
when I try to look that up, there is not very much info on this chip, Is it safe to assume that this is either a proprietary
 branded just for this particular TV AND or it is not a very often used chip in production.

What it actually does is not as interesting as not being able to find info on it...

Also any recommendations for for sites with datasheets other than google.
seems as though you have to jump around to different sites for different parts..
any 1 site with all datasheets?

No I am not lazy, just new to recycling parts and looking up data info.
This oscilloscope isn't telling me anything all I see is a squiggly line....

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
Re: Question about salvaged parts and chips...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 03:52:26 am »
TV's tend to have massive amounts proprietary parts apart from the power supply

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 08:48:38 am »
The Internet does have a handful of results for that part number, so it's safe to assume you didn't just read it incorrectly.

A lot of the companies made their own proprietary chipsets for the signal path and the deflection circuits. A quick search of the 3395 identifier doesn't turn up anything TV-related and in a DIP, so that's likely the conclusion.

(What used to take several boards worth of components has now been integrated on almost a single chip.)

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 08:49:45 am »
There are sites which collect data sheets from different manufacturers, and they're an absolute PITA. I hate them.

Why? Google a part number and you don't just get the original manufacturer's site with up-to-date, correct information about the part - instead you get loads of hits from these wretched data sheet aggregators, which cache old versions of data sheets from who-knows-where complete with their bugs and typos, then present them in a preview window that wastes half the screen. Argh!

The chip is probably a proprietary design which was only ever used in that model of TV and a couple of variants - and it's unlikely to be useful, I'm afraid.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 09:05:41 am »
There are sites which collect data sheets from different manufacturers, and they're an absolute PITA. I hate them.

Why? Google a part number and you don't just get the original manufacturer's site with up-to-date, correct information about the part - instead you get loads of hits from these wretched data sheet aggregators, which cache old versions of data sheets from who-knows-where complete with their bugs and typos, then present them in a preview window that wastes half the screen. Argh!

The chip is probably a proprietary design which was only ever used in that model of TV and a couple of variants - and it's unlikely to be useful, I'm afraid.
If it weren't for those datasheet sites it would be a lot harder looking for information on older parts. A lot of manufacturers may simply disappear and/or remove information from their websites. I don't remember how many times I've found a datasheet somewhere else, went to the manufacturer's site, and they claim the part has never existed. :(

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 09:18:18 am »
I just tried to repair an external iomega raid hard drive ...
the external power supply was dead, I replaced 5 capacitors, and voila like new power ...
but
the hard drive still does not power on ...
hopefully, I have another one, looking for voltages inside, all the same, seems an holtek chip is not working...
it is a preprogrammed controller, it only powers the fan when it's too hot, and detect the press of the power button ...
confirmed later with a thermal camera, the chip is hot, and not on the other working drive.
I cannot order the chip, and cannot program it if I can have one ...
drive full dead ... because of a proprietary chip .

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf