Author Topic: Proto-/breadboard eye candy  (Read 391 times)

Offline ledtesterTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Proto-/breadboard eye candy
« on: July 16, 2024, 06:13:27 am »
Just browse through this guy's Youtube Shorts:

https://www.youtube.com/@albinjd/shorts

He builds circuits - lots of them - with the most insane meticulous wiring!

The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: Proto-/breadboard eye candy
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2024, 11:27:02 am »
This is my third attempt to post.  The other two attempts disappeared and could not be recovered.  Adding that facility to works in progress, as many sites do, would be great.

I try to make my boards neat but am not as compulsive.  In the 2 videos I saw, he did not solder the wires.  Fully populating a board like that before soldering could make soldering challenging.  Also, if he is using PVC insulation, there might be melt back and charring.

My process is similar with two additions:

1) I use Kynar insulated 24 awg wire.  It does not melt back or char like PVC can.  You can make a solder joint right under or next to a wire without affecting it.

2) I do not usually measure against the board.  I do a layout in Eagle and print with a 0.1" grid.  The boards are also numbered.   It is then easy to calculate or count the number of squares to get length and bend points.  I use a 6" machinist rule taped to my bench, lay the wire against it, mark with a fine tipped Sharpie, strip, bend, insert, and solder as appropriate.  Later cleaning flux removes any Sharpie marks.

The first attachment is a TC board I made that used plug in modules.  The 2nd and 3rd are top and bottom views of a board made to fit a particular display enclosure.  The appendage is for connection to the display and keyboard of that enclosure.

Edit: Changed machinist square to machinist rule.  Don't know why I wrote square.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 07:08:26 pm by jpanhalt »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:12:05 am »

I’m a bit skeptical — we never see finished circuits, so is he ever even soldering them or are they just wire artwork?

But what I find frustrating is that he only shows video after video of inserting the wires. Inserting wires is not a particularly challenging or impressive feat. What I’d like to see is his process for forming the wires. That’s the part I always struggle to get neat, never mind flawless like his. Especially with multiple bends with very little distance between them, it’s so easy to end up with squeezed insulation due to needing to grip a tiny area with fine pliers. Is there some process I’ve missed?

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:51:59 am »

OCD vs ADD  ;D

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4 on: Today at 09:47:24 am »

I’m a bit skeptical — we never see finished circuits, so is he ever even soldering them or are they just wire artwork?

But what I find frustrating is that he only shows video after video of inserting the wires. Inserting wires is not a particularly challenging or impressive feat. What I’d like to see is his process for forming the wires. That’s the part I always struggle to get neat, never mind flawless like his. Especially with multiple bends with very little distance between them, it’s so easy to end up with squeezed insulation due to needing to grip a tiny area with fine pliers. Is there some process I’ve missed?

Don't forget the complete absence of decoupling caps and Vcc/Gnd connections. Then think about the crosstalk.

Don't think about his explantion of how capacitors work.

Do think of chocolate teapots, or most "design concepts" created by "creative designers".

The bloke is a good example of why I don't bother with yoootooob vids, unless I know in advance why they will benefit me.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:50:11 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:40:27 am »
For real eye candy, see attachment.  That probably doesn't work either.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #6 on: Today at 10:50:03 am »

That's too negative. Better to say "that works as well"  >:D
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: Today at 10:55:15 am »
The scary thought is that maybe it does. I would rather check before eating ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf