Author Topic: Project Ideas ?  (Read 4183 times)

Offline BAhmadTopic starter

Project Ideas ?
« on: May 01, 2015, 12:31:23 am »
Hi guys
I am an electrical and electronics engineering student. and i am few week away from selecting a final year project for B Eng Degree.
I need help selecting a project ( related to power electronics),. Can somebody give me some good ideas about something practical , i don't wanna go for standard projects( just for grades) something of actual value? :)

Offline RoboTechEd

• Regular Contributor
Re: Project Ideas ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 12:45:31 am »
Try making a benchtop power supply! Its well document, useful, and can have a lot of changes to the design :)

Offline PeterFW

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stuff that goes boom
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 01:16:55 am »
i don't wanna go for standard projects( just for grades) something of actual value? :)

Sous vide cooker with radial induction heating, pid control and controlled water circulation. Is that still power electronics? ;^^

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 01:50:21 am »
thanks for input
power supply is quite common (i think one or two of my seniors are doing it ) can you suggest some changes which will make this interesting  ? any crazy ideas  :o

Induction heating system looks interesting , i might look into it  ???
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 01:53:58 am by BAhmad »

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 04:42:58 am »
If the Power Supply is too simple, maybe try a SMU?
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 05:24:52 am »
Try making a low voltage power management circuit that takes 2-3 independent sources and prioritizes them to provide backup of a single bus. When the first one fails, the 2nd one picks up. When the 2nd one fails, the third picks up the load.

Each input:
Should have a safe voltage window. Over or Under voltage should cause it to switch to the next available source.
Should have enough hysteresis to prevent a disconnect from reconnecting when the voltage jumps up when the source is unloaded.
Should be reverse polarity protected, but send a small amount of power available to a controller to report the error.
Should be current limited but allow an inrush for a capacitve load.
Should self reset after a dead short.
Should be filtered for transients.

The bus should be configured with multiple outputs that are individually current limited. You should be able to dead short any output without the others dropping more than 2-3% before the shorted output is shut off. The outputs should be switched by small tactile switches and indicated by LED's.

No traditional fuses are allowed. It should have multiple levels of protection from over current via sense circuits. Efficiency should be a goal, no fans, no heat sinks. Continuous current of 15A at about 15v or so. You cannot control the input sources or the output loads so it should be able to drive resistive, capacitive, and inductive loads without tripping the current sensors.

Exrta credit: Have all input, but, and output parameters feed an MCU so you can display voltage/current/power of any point in the system.

Uses could be for lighting, industrial process control, whatever.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 06:21:15 am »
Solar charge controller / power supply.  Basically a circuit that will take practically any voltage from a solar panel or other sporadic source, and generate a float voltage for batteries, and also have a power output for actual loads and maybe even a 120v inverter.  It would then monitor and log stuff like solar output, battery input/output, and shut down load if battery is too low.  Could add other bells and whistles too.  This could be contained in a box that has the battery in it too and cig lighter plugs, storage for misc components like flash lights and radio.  Basically it would be a solar emergency power box.

I'll actually be building something like this shortly as I'll be going on a camping trip and thought it would be neat to have some portable power for cell phone, lights, and stuff.  Sure the camp may provide power but more fun if you produce it yourself and have to conserve and control your usage. Though I'll be using off the shelf components just because it's faster and they were on sale. :P  But if I end up really liking this I might build a better one that is better thought out.   Most charge controllers also require the panel to be a high enough voltage, but I imagine if it could use a voltage doubler it could take say, 10 volts and make 13.5 with it after going through a smps circuit.  I'm not sure if there's even any charge controllers that do this and perhaps there's a reason why, too.

I'm a beginner myself so can't help much with technicalities, just an idea.

Another fun idea is an induction furnace.  Basically something that will melt steel using induction power. Kinda like an overclocked version of an induction cooktop.

Offline RoboTechEd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 05:30:39 pm »
For the PSU you could make it LAN/Serial controlled, have I teresting specs (AC/DC output, large ranges), have microvolt/microamp resolution. You could make it battery powered, portable, or have a unique type of interface. Could add in other test circuitry (waveform generator, precision DMM, etc). Could add sense lines for voltage drop across your leads. There's tons or customizability :) find what you would get the most use out of and make it! :)

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 05:38:59 pm »
For the PSU you could make it LAN/Serial controlled, have I teresting specs (AC/DC output, large ranges), have microvolt/microamp resolution. You could make it battery powered, portable, or have a unique type of interface. Could add in other test circuitry (waveform generator, precision DMM, etc). Could add sense lines for voltage drop across your leads. There's tons or customizability :) find what you would get the most use out of and make it! :)

this could work , thanks for advice
can u give me some additional reading material to get started

Offline RoboTechEd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 05:47:10 pm »

this could work , thanks for advice
can u give me some additional reading material to get started

Dave actually has a set of videos on Benchtop PSU design!(Called the uSupply). So does another great EE Youtuber who I (think) is a member of this forum? MJLORTON also has some great PSU tutorial videos :) Good luck! Be sure to post the results on the forum!

EEVBLOG: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBF35875F73B5C9B5
mjlorton: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDBuVMDVJaX2wCN84B5sjFMKDsMbsS7jq

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 05:53:55 pm »
i have seen these videos on uSupply.

about MJLORTON, i'll have a look

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 06:49:45 pm »
thanks for input
power supply is quite common (i think one or two of my seniors are doing it ) can you suggest some changes which will make this interesting  ? any crazy ideas  :o
Be able to set the voltage and current limit digitally, the option to delay the current limit and allow surges.

Make it switched mode. Running directly from the mains is probably not allowed but you could buy a standard fixed switched mode PSU and add your own switched mode converter to the secondary side.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf