Author Topic: products you hate  (Read 138798 times)

Offline hydrogen maser

• Regular Contributor
Re: products you hate
« Reply #325 on: December 21, 2016, 10:59:01 pm »
The IOT - or as I call it - the Idiot of Things - stop putting wifi in everything, just stop it, I don't need wifi in my toaster and dishwasher and I don't want them partying with a few hundred thousand of their brethren in various botnets. STOP.

Apple - overpriced junk for posers. I don't have a problem with Apple as a company, I have a problem with most of the people who buy their products. Stop wasting you money on overpriced junky hardware that you buy because it has a particular companies logo on it. This goes for Nike and all other companies of their ilk. Is someones life so devoid of meaning that buying a product based on what company made it makes them happy? Sad. I buy a product because it serves some purpose for me, I could not care less who made it. I will buy (just did a few hours ago) a mystery Chinese manufacturer gadget on ebay drop shipped from Hong Kong. Who made it? No idea - no manufacturer name on it, but who cares as long as it works?

The "News media" in the US. I hate their product, it sucks. I stopped buying their product years ago and I encourage everyone to boycott their product. I also recommend boycotting cable and satellite TV, best decision I have made in the last 5 years was to drop "TV" - that product sucks also.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #326 on: December 22, 2016, 12:01:32 am »
Apple - overpriced junk for posers. I don't have a problem with Apple as a company, I have a problem with most of the people who buy their products.
Same deal with Rolls Royce.
I used to think they were a bit la-de-da until I read a history of the company. Dunno about after the takeover by BMW, but in earlier years at least, they were a really cool engineering-driven company. Quite a few hot-rodders among them too. Some of the people that buy their cars are a bit up themselves though.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #327 on: December 22, 2016, 12:03:51 am »
I hate DSOs that have a whole lot of screen space wasted by useless borders, and menus that cannot be turned off.
Seems I have an issue with wasted screen space of any kind.  :scared:

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #328 on: December 22, 2016, 04:30:31 am »
TPMS

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #329 on: December 22, 2016, 07:27:32 am »
TPMS

Tire-pressure monitoring system?

Terminal Pre-Menstrual Syndrome? (Terminal for who?)

Apple - overpriced junk for posers. I don't have a problem with Apple as a company, I have a problem with most of the people who buy their products. Stop wasting you money on overpriced junky hardware that you buy because it has a particular companies logo on it. This goes for Nike and all other companies of their ilk. Is someones life so devoid of meaning that buying a product based on what company made it makes them happy? Sad. 

Virtue Signaling is a big thing these days. Buying a product for the logo without regard to its actual cost-performance ratio, or a political candidate because of gender or something, without awareness of their being a murdering, thieving, cheating, lying, psychopathic war criminal and pedophile. Who cares about the details, when you are getting a badge to show off how wonderful you are.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 07:36:04 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #330 on: December 22, 2016, 07:30:58 am »
most often refers to Trusted Platform Modules. for secure boot etc

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #331 on: December 22, 2016, 07:38:44 am »
most often refers to Trusted Platform Modules. for secure boot etc

Ah! If he'd just said TPM, I'd have recognized it. Totally agree, that's a whole category of evil anti-freedom bullshit.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline R005T3rTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #332 on: December 22, 2016, 11:13:22 am »
What's wrost about TPM is that you have to be very careful with licenses or you end up losing it... Go Legacy. Screw EFI.

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #333 on: December 22, 2016, 11:39:43 am »
Subscription software which renders the proprietary files
it creates useless after ending the subscription. :-- :palm:
Like Adobe Audition CC multitrack files, for example.

Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter, UT216C AC/DC Clamp Meter

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #334 on: December 22, 2016, 11:59:27 am »
With the shoes it is due to the polyurethane used. The cheap ones use a urethane that is easy and fast to mould, but which has a massive drawback of a shelf life limitation of 30 months or so before it starts to disintegrate from oxidation, and which gives the shoes a 24 month shelf and operation life.

You can use a much more expensive formulation, which has much longer cure time, somewhat stiffer and a lot denser, so the shoes will last around a decade before failing. Incidentally even expensive brand name shoes use the cheaper urethane, price is no indication of quality.

As i use safety workwear I tend to buy a new pair every 6 to 9 months, as they exhibit this failure, but recently bough on clearance ( $50 after reduction, originally was a seller at $150, with a 5 year warranty) the last pair , which was also my size 12, so will be wearing those next year to see how they compare to the $20 cheapies from the shoe importers next door, which brings in container loads from PRC every 2 months, so I can actually ask for my size and style, and get then in the next container, 2 pairs off, for the $20 each price.

There is a shoemaker inland who makes leather work shoes, but as his are $ 200 a pair, i will have to just look and dream, along with those US made custom jobs, with a 3D printed titanium custom cap, custom shoe plate in laser cut spring steel, and stitched leather uppers and resolable leather and vulcanised rubber tread.

Got to find one of the local itinerant shoe makers though, looking for some Michelin thongs, the ones I love are starting to look a little tatty.

Offline ZeTeX

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • When in doubt, add more flux.
« Reply #335 on: December 22, 2016, 09:31:08 pm »
Ha! I love to complain about stuff :)

In general, any technology that doesn't work properly or costs you more work than saves you.
This is usually software and often related to networking (large downloads that have to be restarted because you lost connectivity for a second, xbox games that won't start if you don't have internet, even if you don't even have xbox live, software for which the registration process is too complicated; if you don't want people to pirate your software, it should at least be easier to buy it than to pirate it!)

Also, slow software. Compared to the 1980's, CPU's have become many thousands (millions?) of times faster. Yet, it often takes me a long time to do trivial tasks (opening a new tab, window or file). Now, I don't want to say everything should be written in assembly or something, but obviously somewhere in the whole stack of layers and abstractions something went wrong.

Also, chipcards that I'm supposed to use in public transport. The concept is nice, but in practice it costs me a lot of money, and I had to jump over the gates multiple times  because the system didn't work properly (my card just stopped working a few days ago, I had to buy both a temporary one for eur 7,50 and a new one for eur 11). Also, in London, my card didn't work when I had to take the bus, and I couldn't pay any other way, so I just had to walk for 30 minutes to get to the closest station which did have an operational ticket machine (it was very early). When a technology is used by millions of people every day, you would expect it to have solutions to such problems.
In Israel now they started (finally) a "system" in the bus that you don't have to go through the driver to pay (usually you would go into the bus and swipe a card or pay cash the driver and get change) but now its all automatic and there are machine for that, so the driver does only what he is supposed to - driving. unfourtently the machines are f*cked, they rarely work, a lot of people are not paying (not because they are assholes but because the machines don't work!!) and yeah its horrible.

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #336 on: December 22, 2016, 09:47:07 pm »
TPMS

Tire-pressure monitoring system?

Yes, that's the one. It's a neat idea, poorly implemented. Like USB.

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #337 on: December 23, 2016, 02:30:53 am »
Ha! I love to complain about stuff :)

In general, any technology that doesn't work properly or costs you more work than saves you.
This is usually software and often related to networking (large downloads that have to be restarted because you lost connectivity for a second, xbox games that won't start if you don't have internet, even if you don't even have xbox live, software for which the registration process is too complicated; if you don't want people to pirate your software, it should at least be easier to buy it than to pirate it!)

Also, slow software. Compared to the 1980's, CPU's have become many thousands (millions?) of times faster. Yet, it often takes me a long time to do trivial tasks (opening a new tab, window or file). Now, I don't want to say everything should be written in assembly or something, but obviously somewhere in the whole stack of layers and abstractions something went wrong.

Also, chipcards that I'm supposed to use in public transport. The concept is nice, but in practice it costs me a lot of money, and I had to jump over the gates multiple times  because the system didn't work properly (my card just stopped working a few days ago, I had to buy both a temporary one for eur 7,50 and a new one for eur 11). Also, in London, my card didn't work when I had to take the bus, and I couldn't pay any other way, so I just had to walk for 30 minutes to get to the closest station which did have an operational ticket machine (it was very early). When a technology is used by millions of people every day, you would expect it to have solutions to such problems.

Get an SSD, disk access is a bottleneck for a long time...
Even a Core2Duo in a laptop will fly with an SSD, anything newer than Sandy Bridge is overpowered for anything that is not gaming over FHD with high end GPU's or rendering image/video..
Just get an SSD and enjoy the new world of computing.

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #338 on: December 23, 2016, 02:58:39 am »
Get an SSD, disk access is a bottleneck for a long time...
Even a Core2Duo in a laptop will fly with an SSD, anything newer than Sandy Bridge is overpowered for anything that is not gaming over FHD with high end GPU's or rendering image/video..
Just get an SSD and enjoy the new world of computing.

Better yet, screw the SSD and get an Ultra m.2 plugged directly onto the mother board. Speeds up to 3.5gb/s for read and 2.1gb/s for write speed. Regular SSD drives only do like 450mb/s read/write.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #339 on: December 23, 2016, 06:08:18 am »
Still kind of a bandaid on a bleeding artery. It should not need a 100M transfer to open a window, or display a small image in said window. More efficient code, smaller footprint, runs faster, is less vulnerable to exploits ( less unintended pathways you can go down, and you can be more explicit in how you sanitise all inputs) and can always execute faster on the same hardware.

The following users thanked this post: TheWelly888, Yansi

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #340 on: December 24, 2016, 04:16:40 am »
 It's not really a bandaid on anything, it's that the way technology expands, the processors are ridiculously overpowered for most things but the data transfer from storage media advances far more slowly and now the bottleneck is not in the processor, or in having enough RAM (since it's so cheap now), or in having ENOUGH storage, it's in how to get the data from that storage into memory.
 My laptop is over 7 years old, and the only possible option was to replace the spinny disk with an SSD, still with a SATA interface. It's plenty snappy, there are no obnoxious lags in opening new tabs no matter what the program. With web browsers - I have them all set to open a blank page on a new tab, therefore they load instantly, no waiting. Second best option would be have them open Google which is very lightweight.

If anything annoys me, it's how web pages have become filled with so much useless junk that does nothing to enhance the experience and everything to require more bandwidth than ever before. It is absolutely ridiculous that what SHOULD be mostly textual information takes seconds to load even with a 150mbps + connection. It makes those sites almost useless when you are away from home and have to 'suffer' with a 10mbit connection. People posting ridiculously high pixel density images (for display on 4k LCD at best - and I don;t even have one of those) are only a small part of the problem. There are ways to accomplish this without making an insanely huge file. There is an online magazine I subscribe to that includes LOTS of images, all of which can be zoomed in a LOT before you reach the limit and it pixilates. Yet each 120+ page issue is an easily handled download.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #341 on: December 24, 2016, 03:14:49 pm »
It all depends on the OS too.  If your stuck on Windows then opening a new tab in a browser will result in something else in ram being swapped to disk.  Any decent OS opening a new tab will simply use a little more ram and doesn't need to touch disk or wait on it.  Windows XP was the first MS OS to ignore the swappiness reg key so you can't prevent it from swapping all the time, in windows 2000 you could set the reg key to so it would now swap until it used up all the ram.

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #342 on: December 24, 2016, 03:49:28 pm »
It all depends on the OS too.  If your stuck on Windows then opening a new tab in a browser will result in something else in ram being swapped to disk.  Any decent OS opening a new tab will simply use a little more ram and doesn't need to touch disk or wait on it.  Windows XP was the first MS OS to ignore the swappiness reg key so you can't prevent it from swapping all the time, in windows 2000 you could set the reg key to so it would now swap until it used up all the ram.
RAM is cheap nowadays. Just get enough and disable swap altogether.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #343 on: December 24, 2016, 05:35:45 pm »
RAM is cheap nowadays. Just get enough and disable swap altogether.
Removing the swap also preserves SSD life.

I have three computer, all have swap disabled:

* NAS and router combo server: Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS, 8GB DDR2-800 ECC on Core 2 Quad Q9300, 5x 3TB hard drive in RAID-6 (slow write = no swap);
* High-horsepower workstation: Ubuntu Desktop 16.10, 128GB DDR3-1600 ECC on dual Xeon E5-2680, 6x 2TB hard drive in RAID-6 (ditto);
* Daily driver workstation: Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview, 16GB DDR3-1600 on Xeon E3-1231v3 @ 3.51GHz, 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD (SSD should not be swapped to)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 05:37:50 pm by technix »

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #344 on: December 24, 2016, 06:20:31 pm »
The only windows system I have now is work provided so I can't disable swap, but with XP IIRC it would just enable itsself later anyway.  Did they fix that finally?

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #345 on: December 24, 2016, 07:21:59 pm »
 I have swap disabled on this laptop in Win10. So far it has not turned itself back on. My desktop system has an SSD plus a regular drive as a landing pad for torrents and other stuff, so I put the page file on that drive and have non on the SSD which is the C drive. Windows still complains if it's less than system RAM +, saying you won't be able to get a full system dump, but in all my years of doing this 0 since before there was Windows - I have NEVER had a use for the full system dump.  Even with really crazy problems where I've had to open a case with Microsoft - they have never requested such a thing.
 Win10 definitely uses RAM. Even where I do have a a page file, it is NOT set on automatic - I have it set to a fixed size so that it does not become fragmented. Very little of it is actually in use, when I open more programs it just uses RAM instead of paging something out, unless I actually have use up all 16GB.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #346 on: December 24, 2016, 08:42:06 pm »
That was my biggest issue with XP.  I'd copy/build virtual servers on my 2000 workstation then copy to the other developers workstations.  With 2000 I would run 3-4 virtual guests without issue.  XP would swap just to open the first.  Trying to set the swapiness reg key (Can't recall what it was called then) didn't affect it, even disabling the swap didn't affect it as I could run one of the sysinternals disk monitoring tools and see the swap get re-activated and used.  Opened a case with MS who confirmed the OS didn't use the reg key anymore and it could re-enable swap if "necessary".  I ended up buying a couple more hdd's so i could dedicate one to swap and one to the virtual guest disks to speed it up but it was never the same as w2000.  I eventually made the switch to Linux where the OS actually did what I told it to. Glad XP is gone now.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #347 on: December 24, 2016, 09:07:23 pm »
Chimneys that are too tight a fit, a tub of lard and the truck winch are next on the agenda.   :palm: 

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #348 on: December 25, 2016, 06:44:55 pm »
That was my biggest issue with XP.  I'd copy/build virtual servers on my 2000 workstation then copy to the other developers workstations.  With 2000 I would run 3-4 virtual guests without issue.  XP would swap just to open the first.  Trying to set the swapiness reg key (Can't recall what it was called then) didn't affect it, even disabling the swap didn't affect it as I could run one of the sysinternals disk monitoring tools and see the swap get re-activated and used.  Opened a case with MS who confirmed the OS didn't use the reg key anymore and it could re-enable swap if "necessary".  I ended up buying a couple more hdd's so i could dedicate one to swap and one to the virtual guest disks to speed it up but it was never the same as w2000.  I eventually made the switch to Linux where the OS actually did what I told it to. Glad XP is gone now.

Funny, did the same with an old machine, as I had the Adaptec SCSI card installed ( so I could plug in the Zip drives as needed) and a few SCSI Deathstars around that still ran, all 1g each of them. Used the one as swap, and the other was a simple scratch drive for temporary storage. Used just to speed up slow drive access with limited RAM on the desktop, and worked well enough till the one Deathstar died, and I just used the other for swap. Took me a while to notice the one drive had not started at boot, as I rarely used that drive. Eventually the other one did the click of death, and I really did not want to put in the replacement full height 5.25in drive I had as spare, as it would not fit any of the drive bays and also allow the DVD drive to be there.

But while it lasted it was a good improvement, though a RAM upgrade ( thank you for capacitor plague killing motherboards) was a lot faster eventually, and the plague finally caught up and killed it, even with having 3 extra fans for cooling there.

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #349 on: December 26, 2016, 12:09:38 am »
If anything annoys me, it's how web pages have become filled with so much useless junk that does nothing to enhance the experience and everything to require more bandwidth than ever before. It is absolutely ridiculous that what SHOULD be mostly textual information takes seconds to load even with a 150mbps + connection.
I have a theory.
Many modern websites are useless and you simply dont find the information you need. You have to write an email to sales manager and ask him for the product you need.
Thats how companies increase the employement in sales area sector. ;D

That also make asking myself - for who are these modern websites made ? Because its not for engineers. Like Analog Devices website or Maxim... I rather use LT products since our company doesnt care about the price (plumbing and machined parts are much more expensive). Unfortunately I have to backup LT website before they destroy it. :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf