Author Topic: products you hate  (Read 139860 times)

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
Re: products you hate
« Reply #275 on: December 05, 2016, 02:05:34 pm »
What do I really hate? Java. I hate the language, I hate the implementation.
I wish that avionics on F35 aircraft is ran on some Java runtime machine. :-DD

Offline japasetelagoas

• Regular Contributor
  • Just an ordinary electronics hobbyist.
« Reply #276 on: December 05, 2016, 03:44:36 pm »
Audi's SUV's rear design.
Seriously, in my humble opinion this has to be one of the worst designs I've seen in years, totally killed the Q3.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:21:06 pm by japasetelagoas »
The endless river...

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #277 on: December 05, 2016, 03:49:36 pm »
Those tail lights look like Marvin the Paranoid Android.
WRT Yahoo, the site is so poorly designed that I can't even use it at all. Some genius thought it would be kewl to request your Username and Password on two separate pages, so you can't even use a password manager.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #278 on: December 05, 2016, 05:25:18 pm »
Ribbon GUI.  :rant:
Bl00dy Ribbons. Where have the keyboard shortcuts gone.

Don't get me started on the dumbed down, content limited, slab oriented web content/pages ....  Grr!

Depends on what app you're talking about, but witht he Microsoft Office stuff, the keyboard shortcuts are still there. The ribbon has not taken those away.

What do I really hate? Java. I hate the language, I hate the implementation. Every new release breaks something from a past version so for all java-based apps to work you often need 3-4 versions coexisting on the same machine. Even Microsoft doesn't break backward compatibility as bad as the Java crew. And now the default setting is to refuse Java execution if you don't have the latest version - and ever since Oracle took over, the stupid install defaults to wanting to make Yahoo your default search page (they aren't the only ones, lots of installers are like that now and you have to pay attention to what other junk they will add if you just click next). Yahoo? The world's most incompetently run web site. Under the wonderful Marissa Mayer's tenure, they've gone from some moderately useful features to you want to run multiple virus scanners after visiting their site. They used to have a few crap news feeds stuck in among their news stories - now more than 50% of them are those stupid clickbait sites that put 2 paragraphs across 8 pages so they can show more ads - if they aren't outright malicious sites from the first click. Unbelievable that this is how they chose to do business. The Groups were really the only thing I used them for, but they made those so unusable with their "Neo" interface that I no longer participate, I just read my email feeds.

Yes, the ribbon is still the biggest productivity preventer in MSOffice.  They did remove some features, older versions of office you could insert row from the menu in excel for example.  The ribbon is the main reason I'm way more productive in Open/LibreOffice.

Yahoo used to be the second worst site after MSN/Bing, did they get worse?  Sadly even Mozilla who preaches an open an web let Yahoo buy their way into their default search engine so newly downloaded firefox installs can get malware at the first use of the search.  Why they would block other sites which are malware supported and not block the malware supported yahoo is a big double standard.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #279 on: December 05, 2016, 05:28:30 pm »
Audi's SUV's rear design.
Seriously, in my humble opinion this has to be one of the worst design I've seen in years, totally killed the Q3.

Hmm, products you hate, CUV's labeled as SUV's.  I guess I'm old skool, if it doesn't have a frame and rear axle its not an SUV to me, its still just a minivan based CUV, the manufacturers need to quit calling them SUV's unless they can drive down a WV road without dragging.

Look at how low the roof is on the back of that thing, I see that seems to be the trend with luxury vehicles, its no wonder they cut people off all the time, they can't see out the back.

Offline edelnet

« Reply #280 on: December 05, 2016, 07:00:19 pm »
Badly ported apps! Often these are more annoying than not having the app at all.  |O

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #281 on: December 05, 2016, 07:07:39 pm »
Badly ported apps! Often these are more annoying than not having the app at all.  |O

Apps on my android phone which look, act, and have limits like an iphone because they were ported from an iphone.

Offline japasetelagoas

• Regular Contributor
  • Just an ordinary electronics hobbyist.
« Reply #282 on: December 05, 2016, 07:23:52 pm »
Those tail lights look like Marvin the Paranoid Android.
WRT Yahoo, the site is so poorly designed that I can't even use it at all. Some genius thought it would be kewl to request your Username and Password on two separate pages, so you can't even use a password manager.
True! Their mail system brings the word "shitty" to a whole new level.
The endless river...

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #283 on: December 06, 2016, 01:30:54 am »
witht he Microsoft Office stuff, the keyboard shortcuts are still there. The ribbon has not taken those away.

I suppose I have to learn/remember shortcuts for all of these? Sorry I did not have time to build to scale or paint other MS apps from the suit.

Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #284 on: December 06, 2016, 02:09:59 am »
I think you are missing the point - they keyboard shortcuts are the same as they were on older versions, pre-ribbon.
Anyway, use it for 5 minutes, the ribbon is not so horrible after all, the functions are logically grouped by function. 2007 was utterly horrible because it wasn't well thought out. Newer versions are much better.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #285 on: December 06, 2016, 03:27:15 am »
2013 isn't any better.  I'm constantly skipping between different tabs on the ribbon in excel.  Worst is Outlook where stuff isn't in the same menu as the rest of the office apps.  It amazes me how bad its gotten.

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #286 on: December 06, 2016, 04:56:16 am »
Not sure about the Audi - is it the aesthetics or the engineering of the rear?
People who call 4WD vehicles SUVs  ;D, actually SUV does not seem to have an implied definition, so maybe anything with a bit of ground clearance could be classed as one.
Shopping centres - being the designated driver of the family, I learnt long ago that you get a car park adjacent to the exit, and at this time of year, damn early in the morning. If the whole car park turns to gridlock - you can easily exit.  :-+
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #287 on: December 06, 2016, 07:59:03 am »
ou get a car park adjacent to the exit, and at this time of year, damn early in the morning. If the whole car park turns to gridlock - you can easily exit.  :-+
Clark Griswald agree with you.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #288 on: December 06, 2016, 11:53:32 am »
Yes, the ribbon is still the biggest productivity preventer in MSOffice.  They did remove some features, older versions of office you could insert row from the menu in excel for example.  The ribbon is the main reason I'm way more productive in Open/LibreOffice.

I don't like MS Office either, mainly because my 6-year experience with LO and OOo, but I recently had to purchase two copies of MS Office.
Put it simple, LO/OOo simply don't have the stability and speed compared to MS Office in Windows 10. DPI scaling is horrible, lagging is horrible, and sometimes they crash, especially Impress.
I always believed the only money MS can get from me is Windows, I would never pay for VS or MS Office, but I was wrong.
The miserable time I wasted in f*ing around with LO/OOo is just too much that at one time I needed to rethink and get a proper working office suite.
It turns out though there are some shortcut and ODF compatibility issues, MS Office is a huge leap in term of software quality and performance, compared to the FOSS ones.
So, this time the first day I got my new laptop, I purchased another copy of MS Office. Thanks, LO, but no thanks.

I can still get around with MinGW, but I see no reason to reject VS anymore, especially considering the fact that VS can work with MinGW well.
The only thing I'm not happy with VS, including VS code, is the slow startup speed. VIM and MSYS2 open in milliseconds, it takes more than 2 seconds for VS to fire up.
Also, I'm just used to use gcc switches and VIM/gdb shortcuts, but if there is a chance and time, I will definitely give VS a try, considering it is now free to use by individual or SMB developers.

I don't know if I'd agree about stability.  Orkplace provided laptop Office crashes often enough that I have to keep saving multiple copies of my documents to prevent loosing one.
LibreOffice at home I think crashed once in 10 years when my root partition filled up.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #289 on: December 07, 2016, 04:47:15 am »
Turn on the TV news and so often there is this stupid banner across the bottom of the screen, actually blocking something that you want to see. Even more stupid, this banner is often raised from the bottom somewhat so it blocks even more of the screen than it's vertical size would dictate.

This kind of thing ->

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #290 on: December 07, 2016, 06:25:11 am »
I hate snow collecting in my garden shoes ready
for me at the back door of the house when wanting to
remove the snow from the pathways.

Yours Messtechniker
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter, UT216C AC/DC Clamp Meter

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #291 on: December 07, 2016, 08:34:01 am »
Turn on the TV news and so often there is this stupid banner across the bottom of the screen, actually blocking something that you want to see. Even more stupid, this banner is often raised from the bottom somewhat so it blocks even more of the screen than it's vertical size would dictate.

I noticed websites do this a lot now, they'll have a header on top, sometimes the header is not even right at the top but further down. You scroll but the header stays there.  Such horrible design.

Come to think of it, news sites in general seem to be terribly designed.  They have one job! 

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #292 on: December 07, 2016, 08:40:25 am »
Modern high-level programming frameworks. Layers upon layers or abstraction running in vm's inside of vms.

This brings us to the world where an 8 core,  1.5Ghz CPU i mu smartphone is sometimes getting hiccups.

Wys?ane z mojego HTC One M8s przy u?yciu Tapatalka

I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

The following users thanked this post: kony

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #293 on: December 07, 2016, 09:04:24 pm »
Modern high-level programming frameworks. Layers upon layers or abstraction running in vm's inside of vms.

This brings us to the world where an 8 core,  1.5Ghz CPU i mu smartphone is sometimes getting hiccups.

Wys?ane z mojego HTC One M8s przy u?yciu Tapatalka

What I hate is when as a programmer I want to know how to do something and when I search I just keep finding "just use xyz framework/library/etc".  No, I want to know how to actually do that one thing, directly! 

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #294 on: December 13, 2016, 06:55:26 pm »
I hate lithium battery packs, that are built like there is gold bullion inside, which they need to prevent anyone ever extracting.
Again, just now, stripping down a laptop a friend discarded, I wanted to salvage the 18650 cells and charge management pcb.
The battery case is made of PC + ABS (polycarbonate and ABS mix, that seems nearly as tough as Kevlar.) The seams are glued, AND screwed, with security tri-edge philips style screws. Then the batteries are glued into the shell, using some silicone stuff that is tougher than any silicone glue I've ever been able to buy.  It won't let go, and is extremely hard to  tear. The PCB is also glued into it's slot, same stuff. And it's full-cover screened with white paint on both sides, making trace following impossible.

Why do they bother with this obstructive stupidity? No matter what they do, anyone who really wants the batteries out will get them.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 06:35:38 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline LordNobady

• Contributor
« Reply #295 on: December 14, 2016, 06:40:31 am »

Why do they bother with this obstructive stupidity? No matter what they do, anyone who really wants the batteries out will get them.

I think they do this to prevent you from refreshing the battery pack by adding new cells. now you have to get a new pack and they can ask 10 times the price of the cells.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #296 on: December 14, 2016, 01:37:56 pm »
Come to think of it, news sites in general seem to be terribly designed.  They have one job!

To sell advertising.

The following users thanked this post: Yansi, Kilrah

Offline XFDDesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #297 on: December 14, 2016, 02:04:33 pm »

To sell advertising.

Nailed it.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Kilrah

Offline R005T3rTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #298 on: December 15, 2016, 09:58:52 am »
Oh, right....

Talking about Sony: i have a wall charger that it is said to be "universal" but it won't work with other batteries other than Sony: it refuses to charge them. What a piece of junk.  :palm: Now I have to change it, before it's too late...

What can I do with it? Desoldering practice?

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #299 on: December 15, 2016, 11:59:17 am »
TV news and the irrelevant old media`  so called? terrorists seen on TV driving new Toyota hilux like it all fake  like the local syrian toyota dealer has to decide how many spare parts to shock  :-DD 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 12:11:17 pm by jonovid »
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

The following users thanked this post: XFDDesign

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf