Author Topic: Possible to trigger at battery explosions in pagers ?  (Read 7695 times)

Original, Kjelt, vad and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline globoy

• Regular Contributor
Re: Possible to trigger at battery explosions in pagers ?
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2024, 11:43:28 pm »
The NYT (also probably paywalled) is reporting they were Gold Apollo AP924 (among other) pagers and Israel added explosives and a trigger next to the battery.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/17/world/middleeast/israel-hezbollah-pagers-explosives.html

For me anyway, the Gold Apollo website is unresponsive but I think it looks something like the following image.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 11:46:11 pm by globoy »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2024, 11:56:10 pm »
I think its safe to say that you can't pin this one on a lithium ion battery, so there is no need to throw away you iphones
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 11:58:04 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline shabaz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2024, 12:14:54 am »
Unfortunately this article is behind a paywall.

What usually works for FT, is to google the article title with 'ft twitter' appended to it, then click on the twitter/X result, and then it opens that FT page article without their paywall.

For instance, googling for that article, leads to this twitter URL: https://twitter.com/ftworldnews/status/1836109408788517296
and by clicking on the link in there, will open the article (at least it does for me).

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2024, 01:43:24 am »
So what does the Taiwanese manufacturer say?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2024, 01:51:47 am »

there was a small defect in one of the subassemblies

realistically they have nothing to do with it. I doubt they just sold it to that group. It probobly went through a complex resale chain. They have nothing to do with it. I have a feeling everything that ends up there is super laundered.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2024, 01:56:04 am by coppercone2 »

Offline MT

• Super Contributor

Offline Andy Chee

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2024, 03:18:57 am »
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/gold-apollo-says-it-did-not-make-pagers-used-lebanon-explosion-2024-09-18/

"The product was not ours. It was only that it had our brand on it,' Gold Apollo founder and president, Hsu Ching-Kuang, told reporters at the company's offices in the northern Taiwanese city of New Taipei on Wednesday.
The company said in a statement that the AR-924 model was produced and sold by BAC.
"We only provide brand trademark authorization and have no involvement in the design or manufacturing of this product," the statement said.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2024, 03:57:19 am by Andy Chee »

Online Geoff-AU

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2024, 03:18:59 am »
I think its safe to say that you can't pin this one on a lithium ion battery, so there is no need to throw away you iphones

I think if anyone suspects it could be caused by a lithium ion battery, that throwing away their phone is encouraged.  It might improve the signal to noise ratio for the rest of us.

Offline Andy Chee

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2024, 03:27:41 am »
One might assume that this supply chain attack was performed somewhere towards the end of the chain, near the end users Hezbollah.

However if the attack was performed earlier in the supply chain, then conceivably there could be other explosive laden pagers circulating out in the wild, yet to be triggered because they were not within broadcast range.

It seems prudent that the manufacturer issue a recall notice for their pagers, at least until Israel/Mossad admits liability, and informs the manufacturer at which point in the supply chain was penetrated.

Offline bobxyz

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2024, 04:13:07 am »
If I were going to do this, I'd intercept the wire(s) going to the display and add a micro that would detect a specific pager message and trigger an explosive.  The original battery could be replaced with half battery and half explosive + detonator + micro.  It wouldn't be selective, but if the original pagers were diverted, they could figure out the end phone numbers based on the pager IDs.

Offline Andy Chee

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2024, 04:33:44 am »
There has yet to be confirmation of explosive residue on the pager debris, so can't completely eliminate an intentional lithium battery explosion yet.

Can lithium battery casing be manufactured without safety venting?

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2024, 04:39:46 am »
this was in one of the early seasons of 24. in that plot line, they got a vice president or something with a phone dripping with a suspicious explosive liquid :-//

it says its activated by a specific text. "simon says...."

its not a regular phone, the MOSSAD has been developing phone bombs for like... 60 years now, officially

One of those 50 cent microcontrollers with an accurate enough oscillator (borrowed from the existing clock on the PCB) could decode a message itself, and pull an IO pin high, which could perhaps use a transistor and the battery to provide a charge for something. I don't know what sort of voltage/current it takes to do something like that.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2024, 04:52:45 am »
Can lithium battery casing be manufactured without safety venting?
Batteries still don't explode with a lot of energy, they very quickly release the pressure and the most damage is caused by the fire.

Battery by itself may "explode" and cause some lacerations if held directly, but the device case would contain that well.
Alex

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2024, 05:21:30 am »
Atarov: Li batts are small firebombs and DO explode.

The events yesterday most likely used a small explosive charge and not relying on a possible Li battery fire.

j
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2024, 05:24:25 am »
Do you have any video evidence of an actual explosion and not just venting and catching fire?
Alex

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2024, 05:30:14 am »
their more like setting off a rocket engine of similar size with quite a big thrust

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2024, 07:00:24 am »
Those explosions weren't caused (at least initially) by a Lithium battery. There was some kind of high explosive that either kicked off the reaction, or made up almost all of the resulting explosion. This was a quick and controlled explosion. There was little to no prior warning.

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2024, 09:46:13 am »
In german news, there was a pretty detailed report on operations.
The pager in question (AR-924) were manufactured in Hungary (by company BAC) under the brand of a Taiwanese Company (Gold Apollo). They contained approximate 25-50grams of explosives.
It seems Israeli agents were able to intercept delivery from factory to Hizbollah and modify the pagers. This - of course - has not been officially confirmed.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2024, 10:14:51 am »
The pager in question (AR-924) were manufactured in Hungary (by company BAC) under the brand of a Taiwanese Company (Gold Apollo). They contained approximate 25-50grams of explosives.
It seems Israeli agents were able to intercept delivery from factory to Hizbollah and modify the pagers. This - of course - has not been officially confirmed.

A serious question is why is a factory in Europe manufacturing pagers for a proscribed terrorist organisation?
I suppose it could be a case of not knowing, but clearly the Israelis were aware.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2024, 10:44:15 am »

A serious question is why is a factory in Europe manufacturing pagers for a proscribed terrorist organisation?
I suppose it could be a case of not knowing, but clearly the Israelis were aware.

There are much more pressing things to worry about:
- The legality of such kind of 'warfare'. IMHO this is plain terrorism performed by the Isrealis; I highly doubt this is covered by any form of rules of engagement. It is likely going to backfire on them from all sides
- How many pagers are out there which didn't explode and how can these be tracked so they don't become death traps like abandoned landmines?
- How quickly will others use a similar idea for a similar terrorist attack?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline SteveThackery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2024, 10:49:16 am »
Do you have any video evidence of an actual explosion and not just venting and catching fire?

Yes, I watched a video on the BBC news this morning taken from a shop security camera. The explosion is real, it is not a venting of gas and flames. I'm no expert, but no way could it have been from an AA battery - it was explosives.

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2024, 10:57:12 am »

Well, the whole story is cloudy, the hungarian "manufacturer" is stating it is only a "Consulting company". It does not look like they are manufacturing anything at all.
https://24.hu/kulfold/2024/09/18/libanon-hezbollah-izrael-csipogo-szemelyi-hivo-robbanas-budapest-bac-consulting/
However that hungarian company is rather sketchy...
Another detail emerging is the order had been placed last year and the pagers were delivered early this year, so it seems it has been a well planned operation and the timeframe was not as small as I expected.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2024, 11:59:16 am »
I still think that replacing just the batteries with some battery and mostly explosive - and then a power rail watcher that looks for a signature power draw to trigger it was what they did.

it was funny that initial reports blamed the batteries and a pure software bug.  in 10 seconds of thought, that would not make sense at all, yet it was being said many times for the first few hours of the report.

I have to say this was genius. 

(and yes, it was well deserved and I'm happy it happened.  but that's all I'll say on that)

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2024, 12:16:04 pm »
I still think that replacing just the batteries with some battery and mostly explosive - and then a power rail watcher that looks for a signature power draw to trigger it was what they did.

it was funny that initial reports blamed the batteries and a pure software bug.  in 10 seconds of thought, that would not make sense at all, yet it was being said many times for the first few hours of the report.

I have to say this was genius. 

(and yes, it was well deserved and I'm happy it happened.  but that's all I'll say on that)
Agree that battery is a good place to put the explosive, and would make modification quick & easy.
Except batteries get replaced ( though,not very often), and it's hard to get a specific trigger signal to them.
There is a mention of them beeping several times first, so maybe they can do different beep/vibrate patterns in response to transmitted data, which the "battery" could recognise by pattern of current draw.
Maybe they had hacked firmware to do a specific current draw pattern on receipt of a particular message.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2024, 12:17:31 pm »

Yeah, this. People assume that batteries just explode, have always been. It's some kind of... batterophobia. I definitely remember this from days before li-ion, like some people were scared of just normal alkaline cells.

In reality of course batteries do not explode, explosives do. Li-ion batteries sometimes burn quite violently but it's still pretty much different from explosion, even in layman language, even more so with technically correct meaning for "explosion".

Triggering li-ion cell failure is also more difficult than people expect. It is almost always impossible to do by just software. It is often difficult to do even with botched BMS design. Cell manufacturing quality control issues and physical damage are the most usual reasons for battery fire. Faulty BMS can increase the odds but it is a totally different thing to have one in hundred fail over years of use (which would be a huge problem for manufacturer) vs. intentionally having 100% success rate in commanding them to explode within some minutes of command.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf