Author Topic: AnandTech -- end of the road  (Read 525 times)

Offline fzabkarTopic starter

• Super Contributor
AnandTech -- end of the road
« on: August 30, 2024, 06:10:04 pm »

The following users thanked this post: MK14, iMo

Offline pbernardi

• Contributor
Re: AnandTech -- end of the road
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2024, 07:37:52 pm »
Very Sad news.

On a side note, this:

Continuing the Fight Against the Cable TV-ification of the Web

Finally, I’d like to end this piece with a comment on the Cable TV-ification of the web. A core belief that Anand and I have held dear for years, and is still on our About page to this day, is AnandTech’s rebuke of sensationalism, link baiting, and the path to shallow 10-o'clock-news reporting. It has been our mission over the past 27 years to inform and educate our readers by providing high-quality content – and while we’re no longer going to be able to fulfill that role, the need for quality, in-depth reporting has not changed. If anything, the need has increased as social media and changing advertising landscapes have made shallow, sensationalistic reporting all the more lucrative.

I wonder how many good, serious media workers are losing space in the age of memes and cuts we have on Youtube and Twitter (not X, sorry). I just feel we have less and less good options to listen, and that big techsjust manipulates the ads industry in a way that only the funny, wrong and empty data is relevant.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline fzabkarTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2024, 08:00:39 pm »
I was never a reader of AnandTech's blogs, except if I landed on one as a consequence of a search. However, this statement makes me wonder just how in tune with technology they really were:

A lot of things have changed in the last quarter-century – in 1997 NVIDIA had yet to even coin the term “GPU” ...

Computervision had a Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) way back in 1980:

https://bitsavers.org/pdf/computervision/schematics/001-00532_GPU_GfxProcUnit_Jul80.pdf

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2024, 11:00:01 pm »
I was never a reader of AnandTech's blogs, except if I landed on one as a consequence of a search. However, this statement makes me wonder just how in tune with technology they really were:

A lot of things have changed in the last quarter-century – in 1997 NVIDIA had yet to even coin the term “GPU” ...

Coin the term no, what he probably meant was claim and popularize the term.

The term GPU has been in use since at least the 1980s. Nvidia popularized it in 1999 by marketing the GeForce 256 add-in board (AIB) as the world’s first GPU. It offered integrated transform, lighting, triangle setup/clipping, and rendering engines as a single-chip processor.
https://www.computer.org/publications/tech-news/chasing-pixels/nvidias-geforce-256
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2024, 08:34:00 am »

Computervision had a Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) way back in 1980:

https://bitsavers.org/pdf/computervision/schematics/001-00532_GPU_GfxProcUnit_Jul80.pdf
They were really top notch maybe 10-20 years ago. They had Ian Cutress working there, a semiconductor expert and insider,  he was able to write long, detailed and precise CPU and GPU reviews.

Online iMo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2024, 09:15:51 am »
Yep, their reviews around 2000 were perhaps the best one at that time..  :-+
Readers discretion is advised..

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2024, 09:28:47 am »
They were really top notch maybe 10-20 years ago. They had Ian Cutress working there, a semiconductor expert and insider,  he was able to write long, detailed and precise CPU and GPU reviews.

Did you know he has a PhD?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf