Author Topic: OT: The religion thead...  (Read 330112 times)

Offline vxp036000

• Regular Contributor
Re: OT: The religion thead...
« Reply #200 on: May 19, 2012, 09:28:51 pm »
The term antitheist isn't common at all in my country and I've never heard a philosopher use the term.  I would lump antitheist into the same position as atheist.

I don't know any philosophers. I don't need to either, I'm not really concerned in how they use it.

The fact remains that the literal meaning of a word with the "a-" prefix means "not", or in this case, "without". The word is derived from the latin "atheos" which is "a" (without) "theos" (God).

Plus, why do we have the term "antitheist", then? Is it redundant now that these so-called philosophers use the term "atheist" incorrectly for their own purposes? Or is it perhaps the fault of arrogant "philosophers" that the word is defined in this way in the dictionary?

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
    • Circuitology - Electronics Assembly
« Reply #201 on: May 19, 2012, 09:32:23 pm »
The term antitheist isn't common at all in my country and I've never heard a philosopher use the term.  I would lump antitheist into the same position as atheist.

I bet you would.

But you seem to basically be using ad populum arguments to support any point you are making. Either that or you just claim it is so because you say it is.

Interesting to see what "philosophers" come up with these days.

Offline vxp036000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #202 on: May 19, 2012, 09:34:07 pm »
I'm no fan of the catholic church; they are just as hypocritical as most other organized religions.  I will say, however, that Jesus Christ was an excellent role model in many ways, regardless of one's thoughts on who he was.

Stephen Fry's amazing speech on the catholic church (IQ2) debate, 2009 Part 2 of 2

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #203 on: May 19, 2012, 09:36:40 pm »
This is what happens when someone runs out of rational justification for their position.

Again with the pomposity. You are too young, too immature, and too full of your own self-importance to be worth debating with.

Offline vxp036000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #204 on: May 19, 2012, 09:37:31 pm »
My argument is valid regardless of how you define atheism, theism, and agnosticism.  Replace them with A, B, and C for all I care.  The argument is still perfectly valid.  My point is that the position that god does not exist is indefensible unless you deny causality.  Which is why I think it is somewhat ironic that many "rational" engineers claim to be atheists.

I bet you would.

But you seem to basically be using ad populum arguments to support any point you are making. Either that or you just claim it is so because you say it is.

Interesting to see what "philosophers" come up with these days.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #205 on: May 19, 2012, 09:40:25 pm »
In philosophy, we study theism, atheism, and agnosticism.  Theism is a belief that god exists.   If we accept the principle of causality, god must exist.  Atheism is the belief that there is no god.  This position is only rationally justifiable if we deny causality.  Agnosticism is the position that there may or may not be a god and is the only one of these three views that can be rationally justified without making any assumptions.

Good grief, haven't we suffered enough? You may or may not be a decent engineer, but on the evidence you have provided to date you are not a competent philosopher.

The cosmological argument you are garbling had serious flaws when it was expressed by Thomas Aquinas 800 years ago, and since the advent of modern science it has been abandoned even by Christian apologists such as Swinburne. You cannot expect to be taken seriously if you resort to stating such outdated ideas as fact, particularly when you mangle them as you have.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #206 on: May 19, 2012, 09:41:00 pm »
Before words are used it is a good idea to know what they mean. Antithesis means a a person or thing that is direct opposite of some one or something else it has no direct relationship with religion.

Offline vxp036000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #207 on: May 19, 2012, 09:45:27 pm »
I still haven't seen you rationally refute my claims.

Good grief, haven't we suffered enough? You may or may not be a decent engineer, but on the evidence you have provided to date you are not a competent philosopher.

The cosmological argument you are garbling had serious flaws when it was expressed by Thomas Aquinas 800 years ago, and since the advent of modern science it has been abandoned even by Christian apologists such as Swinburne. You cannot expect to be taken seriously if you resort to stating such outdated ideas as fact, particularly when you mangle them as you have.

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
« Reply #208 on: May 19, 2012, 09:46:02 pm »
Before words are used it is a good idea to know what they mean. Antithesis means a a person or thing that is direct opposite of some one or something else it has no direct relationship with religion.

Is this directed towards me?

I said antitheist, not antithesis.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #209 on: May 19, 2012, 10:02:18 pm »
Where in the Oxford English dictionary is "antitheist"

Offline vxp036000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #210 on: May 19, 2012, 10:08:48 pm »
Hahaha!  I was thinking the same.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #211 on: May 19, 2012, 10:16:12 pm »
I still haven't seen you rationally refute my claims.

Why should I, when your claims have already been refuted by numerous real philosophers, with the formal qualifications which you value so highly?

However, if you are truly unaware of the last several hundred years of philosophical progress, the argument from causation fails for several reasons:
  • It requires a first cause, which is not necessarily true - the universe may always have existed
  • It presupposes that the only first cause is god, when it could be an impersonal force, such as the Big Bang
  • It invokes a potentially nonexistent god to explain a universe which manifestly does exist

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
« Reply #212 on: May 19, 2012, 10:17:47 pm »

Hahaha! It's in Webster's dictionary.

Offline vxp036000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #213 on: May 19, 2012, 10:24:24 pm »
Finally, a rational argument.  Your claims are absolutely correct and I agree with them.  However, you'll notice that I earlier defined "god" as the goodness we observe in this world.  Denying this definition of god is difficult.

Why should I, when your claims have already been refuted by numerous real philosophers, with the formal qualifications which you value so highly?

However, if you are truly unaware of the last several hundred years of philosophical progress, the argument from causation fails for several reasons:
  • It requires a first cause, which is not necessarily true - the universe may always have existed
  • It presupposes that the only first cause is god, when it could be an impersonal force, such as the Big Bang
  • It invokes a potentially nonexistent god to explain a universe which manifestly does exist

Offline vxp036000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #214 on: May 19, 2012, 10:25:53 pm »
While we're at it, would you also like to post Webster's definition for atheist?  Oh, that's right, it agrees with my definition.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #215 on: May 19, 2012, 10:34:40 pm »
Finally, a rational argument.  Your claims are absolutely correct and I agree with them.  However, you'll notice that I earlier defined "god" as the goodness we observe in this world.  Denying this definition of god is difficult.

That's funny - you didn't agree with them a few minutes ago.

I did indeed notice your earlier attempt to come up with a spurious redefinition of god, but that bit of misdirection has already been disposed of by others.

You would garner a great deal more respect on this forum if you were willing to admit that you are not always right.

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
« Reply #216 on: May 19, 2012, 10:36:02 pm »
While we're at it, would you also like to post Webster's definition for atheist?  Oh, that's right, it agrees with my definition.

I've explained why the dictionary definition of atheist isn't right. You seemed to have an issue with whether antitheist was even a word, which it is.

Offline vxp036000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #217 on: May 19, 2012, 10:42:58 pm »
When you refuse the use the dictionary and philosophically accepted definition of the term, don't expect anyone else to understand what you're trying to say.

I've explained why the dictionary definition of atheist isn't right. You seemed to have an issue with whether antitheist was even a word, which it is.

Offline vxp036000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #218 on: May 19, 2012, 10:45:11 pm »
It's not much different than the philospically accepted definition of god; only a slightly more precise definition.  So, yes, if I choose to define god as such, it is rather straight-foward to demonstrate that god exists.

I did indeed notice your earlier attempt to come up with a spurious redefinition of god, but that bit of misdirection has already been disposed of by others.

You would garner a great deal more respect on this forum if you were willing to admit that you are not always right.

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
« Reply #219 on: May 19, 2012, 11:02:21 pm »
When you refuse the use the dictionary and philosophically accepted definition of the term, don't expect anyone else to understand what you're trying to say.

If you don't understand my logical explanation of why the term "atheist" means "without god" then you have no business claiming to be some sort of philosopher.

Offline vxp036000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #220 on: May 19, 2012, 11:03:43 pm »
I never claimed to be a philosopher; you're putting words in my mouth.

If you don't understand my logical explanation of why the term "atheist" means "without god" then you have no business claiming to be some sort of philosopher.

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
« Reply #221 on: May 19, 2012, 11:08:01 pm »
I never claimed to be a philosopher; you're putting words in my mouth.

"In philosophy, we..."

Offline vxp036000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #222 on: May 19, 2012, 11:09:35 pm »
Yep, and I never claimed to be a philosopher.  Your point?

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
« Reply #223 on: May 19, 2012, 11:15:13 pm »
Yep, and I never claimed to be a philosopher.  Your point?

You claim to posess related knowledge and speak as though you are an authority on the subject.

So your use of "we"..? How do you justify that?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #224 on: May 19, 2012, 11:16:42 pm »

This is NOT what everyone is talking about here and you know it.
Please take this definition elsewhere and start a new thread if you want to discuss it, it does not belong in this thread.

Dave.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf