Author Topic: OT: Shopify Kinda Sucks  (Read 4218 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
OT: Shopify Kinda Sucks
« on: August 14, 2023, 08:48:14 am »
I'm trying move my EEVblog store from Woocommere to Shopify, and, well, it's not going well.

I've discovered that there is no integration with DHL Australia via API whcih means that I'm going to have to setup 7 different country shipping zones manuall, AND repeat that for EACH 500g weight category where the pricing differs.

And then while trying to do that I discover that I can't select AUD for shipping rates to another country. It has to be set in that countries current, or my store currency which needs to be USD (because I buy my products in USD), but I need to set AUD pricing because that's what I pay shipping in.

This is really starting to such. EVERYONE raves about how Shopify is the ducks guts (apart form the pricing, and even simple thing being optional), but right off the bat this is an inflexible nightmare.

BTW, I'm using Shopify because:
a) You can integrate it with Youtube so it shows up under your videos automatically like it currently does for the my Teespring merch store.
b) Woocommerce is literally falling apart on me.
c) It support affiliate programs and the like.

Anyway, just a thread for me to  :rant:

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: OT: Shopify Kinda Sucks
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 09:23:03 pm »
I checked various shipping rates on eevblog store and the difference is not much, like $14 for malaysia, $15 for usa/canada, I know you wouldn't like it but could you just fudge the numbers to the higher rate for everyone outside of AUS?

For whatever reason DHL bill us in USD even though we are in Canada.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 11:11:43 pm »
I checked various shipping rates on eevblog store and the difference is not much, like $14 for malaysia, $15 for usa/canada, I know you wouldn't like it but could you just fudge the numbers to the higher rate for everyone outside of AUS?

There can be huge difference depending upon the country and provence within the country. There are 7 different price zones, all with different weight categories.
DHL actually charge me just over AUD$40 for shipping to the US now, it's nuts.
I'm going to have to find a US re-shipper who can hold my stock and offer local postage.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 11:58:21 pm »
So losing money on shipping then, not great. Your rates were incredibly low ($15 for ~500g from AUS to CAD), didn't know how it was possible.
40 AUD = $26 USD. Which is reasonable to me, considering my order was 3 days delivery to Canada.

To send that 500g back to AUS would cost $46 USD with DHL, or $32 with UPS on my end.

Offline br4n_d0n

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2023, 03:31:30 am »
I'm going to have to find a US re-shipper who can hold my stock and offer local postage.

I might be able to do it for you if you want; let me know.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2023, 05:46:41 am »
I might be able to do it for you if you want; let me know.

Thanks, but sorry I want a proper big fulfillment centre that does this as a business.

Offline br4n_d0n

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2023, 06:17:04 am »
That's understandable. Hope you find something that works for you.

Offline rernexy

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2023, 05:59:48 am »
Is eevblog.store having issues? Trying to buy something now from https://eevblog.store and I get "Shipping not available Your order cannot be shipped to the selected address. Enter a different address.". It's an Australian address, doesn't matter if it's a PO Box or a street address.
1855588-0

Should we be using https://eevblog.store or stick to https://www.eevblog.com/store?

Why is https://www.eevblog.com/store showing me US dollar prices? Is that the default now? Will I be charged in USD instead of AUD?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2023, 08:32:19 am »
Do NOT use eevblog.store
That is my new Shopify store that is being set up. I have not advertised or linked to it yet.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2023, 08:34:20 am »
Why is https://www.eevblog.com/store showing me US dollar prices? Is that the default now? Will I be charged in USD instead of AUD?

You will be charged in AUD as per the checkout. It auto displayed USD pricing as most sales are overseas.

Offline rernexy

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2023, 10:05:59 am »
Do NOT use eevblog.store

Will do. :-+

I have not advertised or linked to it yet.

I stumbled upon "eevblog.store" because it showed up in my Google search results for "eevblog bm036".

Offline Fractal

• Contributor
  • Please do hesitate to contact me
    • Fractal Engineering
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2023, 09:13:38 am »
Ye nah I wouldn't exchange my woocommerce shop for anything atm - esp not Shopify, can't stand subscription-based services.

Got mine in a pretty good place with a minimal amount of plugins for everything from elementor (free with the pro open source elements) to deep inventory management passing by review reminders with individual incentive coupons or 3rd party POD merch integration.

If you're into not owning your CMS I've heard good things of BigCommerce though

Offline zilp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2023, 10:59:40 am »
I have no experience with either woocommerce or shopify on the seller/admin side, so no idea about the specific systems--but I am just surprised how you are ranting about corprorate behaviour, and at the same time putting all your eggs into another corporate monopoly, as if you couldn't anticipate how that's going to turn out ...

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2023, 09:02:30 pm »
I have no experience with either woocommerce or shopify on the seller/admin side, so no idea about the specific systems--but I am just surprised how you are ranting about corprorate behaviour, and at the same time putting all your eggs into another corporate monopoly, as if you couldn't anticipate how that's going to turn out ...

Shopify has 10-25% market share, depending on what metric you are looking at, so don't think its a monopoly.
But yes, considering their financial state, they'll likely raise rates in the future. Its all a question of time invested, additional income, monthly plan cost ($5-80/month range), etc.

There was a recent dhl vid, didn't watch yet:

Offline zilp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2023, 12:00:23 am »
Shopify has 10-25% market share, depending on what metric you are looking at, so don't think its a monopoly.

Well, that depends on what you consider "the market". My point here wasn't that shopify has a monopoly on online shops, but that their customers are in a lock-in position, which is a form of a monopoly, as they can't easily switch to a competitor. (In contrast to woocommerce, where you presumably can easily switch hosters because your data isn't locked into a proprietary format of the hoster.)

But yes, considering their financial state, they'll likely raise rates in the future. Its all a question of time invested, additional income, monthly plan cost ($5-80/month range), etc.

Well, yeah, but the critical point is that you have to estimate the pricing power that they gain by reducing competitive pressure through lock-in to figure out whether it's worth it. Historically, people usually underestimate that factor.

Yeah, that's the rant about corporate behaviour that I meant.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2023, 02:11:49 am »

I'm talking to them about DHL integration. The yclaim they had it, but it was just for shipping, ironically using the system I alreayd use, StarShipit.
So DHL's shipping system https://dhlexpresscommerce.com/ is actually just a StarShipit back end, same menu, same interface, everything.
I might trial Sendle for international shipment on Shopify and see how it goes. Not as fast as DHL, but pricing is intergated, possibly a bit cheaper, and they do pickup.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2023, 03:12:30 pm »
Thanks, but sorry I want a proper big fulfillment centre that does this as a business.

Doesn't Amazon already provide fulfillment services?  I thought they even had it set up where you could fulfill Amazon sales and third party sales from the same inventory?  Or are they too expensive or have some other issues? 
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2023, 09:45:51 pm »

Doesn't Amazon already provide fulfillment services?  I thought they even had it set up where you could fulfill Amazon sales and third party sales from the same inventory?  Or are they too expensive or have some other issues?

Yeah looks like you are right:
https://www.junglescout.com/blog/integrate-amazon-fba-with-shopify/
https://supplychain.amazon.com/pricing#fulfillment

Selling directly on amazon he said was 17% rate, but that seems to be covered by the price differential (eg $199 on amazon $154 in eevstore).
There is a monthly storage fee as well (this should be the case everywhere).

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2023, 11:51:36 pm »
Yeah looks like you are right:
https://www.junglescout.com/blog/integrate-amazon-fba-with-shopify/
https://supplychain.amazon.com/pricing#fulfillment

Selling directly on amazon he said was 17% rate, but that seems to be covered by the price differential (eg $199 on amazon $154 in eevstore).
There is a monthly storage fee as well (this should be the case everywhere).

Correct, I sell a lot of meters on Amazon and they hold the stock, it's called FBA Fullfilment By Amazon, and yes it's about 17% or so.
Crazy high, but so many people just like getting their free same or next day Prime shipment.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2023, 12:02:16 am »
Correct, I sell a lot of meters on Amazon and they hold the stock, it's called FBA Fullfilment By Amazon, and yes it's about 17% or so.
Crazy high, but so many people just like getting their free same or next day Prime shipment.

But do they not also offer the option of selling on your own platform with them handling the pick/pack/ship for a flat fee (not correlated with sales price)?

b/t/w, 17% for the whole show isn't as crazy as you might think--Prime card holders get 5% right off the top and then shipping is free.  So a BM235 is $139 from Amazon, $132 after my discount and shipping/30 day return is included.  If I buy it from your store for $115 and pay shipping, I'm saving.....how much?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2023, 12:06:07 am »
But do they not also offer the option of selling on your own platform with them handling the pick/pack/ship for a flat fee (not correlated with sales price)?

No. They are not a general fulfilment business. You can either ship it yourself, or you can have them do it, but the product has to be sold on their platform.
I could save like 10% of that 17% by shipping myself and just using Amazon as a shopping front end, but the point of Amazon is that people want that Prime service.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2023, 08:26:44 pm »

No. They are not a general fulfilment business. You can either ship it yourself, or you can have them do it, but the product has to be sold on their platform.
I could save like 10% of that 17% by shipping myself and just using Amazon as a shopping front end, but the point of Amazon is that people want that Prime service.

Did you see the link above? MCF is general fulfillment.

"Non-branded packaging. Your MCF orders will be sent in unbranded packaging–Not in Amazon packaging."
https://sell.amazon.com/fulfillment-by-amazon/fba-multi-channel

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2023, 11:47:33 pm »
Did you see the link above? MCF is general fulfillment.

"Non-branded packaging. Your MCF orders will be sent in unbranded packaging–Not in Amazon packaging."
https://sell.amazon.com/fulfillment-by-amazon/fba-multi-channel

I didn't see that, will check it out, thanks.
Amazon are a horribly complicated and regimented system though, I can't imagine the problems trying to ship direct from my manufacturer to an amazon warehouse.

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2023, 01:58:10 pm »
Dhl is very unpopular in Shopify's home country, Canada. 

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2023, 05:28:15 am »
Went to a lot of effort to set up 5 different DHL shipping zones all with indvidual pricing for multipel weight categories.
Only then did I discover that you can't have a product in more than one shipping profile  >:(

So I start from strach putting the 5 zones under one shipping profile with all products, onyl to then find that it for some reason forces Australia into ALL zones. WTF.
 |O

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf