Author Topic: new youtube policy forcing casters and viewers to Google+ Fran closing EE site  (Read 28024 times)

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
It's interesting Fran commenting that Google/youtube is trying to be Facebook. Interesting timing that is, since just very recently ebay also made changes in their site that superficially seem like they want to be another Facebook. Switching the whole ebay 'search' paradigm to 'follows' and 'feed', and some stupid idea that people would want to tell each other what they are 'following' (searching for.)
It's such a retarded, nonsensical idea that there has to be some other motivation at work.

Now suddenly Youtube is doing the same thing. Hmmm....

Need to find the email for NSA and GCHQ then just set your email to automatically forward to them every thing that comes in especially your spam folder if every one in the world did this there is no way they could keep their sites up. I dont know about any one else but I am sure that my email is pretty boring to any one else. Save Google and face book the trouble as well.

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
I dont know about any one else but I am sure that my email is pretty boring to any one else. Save Google and face book the trouble as well.

Certainly your emails are boring, and so are mine >:D But so are also most data points in statistical data sets...

Offline jh15Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
So I can't send a private Youtube video of my cat going on and flushing our human toilet. I would either have to make it public (he has stage fright) or force my family to join Google+.

They are the ones that would turn off firewalls, AV, and click on links in email if they new how...

Join a social network? What's that?  please install it for me. What's that they'd say...
Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
It's interesting Fran commenting that Google/youtube is trying to be Facebook. Interesting timing that is, since just very recently ebay also made changes in their site that superficially seem like they want to be another Facebook. Switching the whole ebay 'search' paradigm to 'follows' and 'feed', and some stupid idea that people would want to tell each other what they are 'following' (searching for.)
It's such a retarded, nonsensical idea that there has to be some other motivation at work.

Now suddenly Youtube is doing the same thing. Hmmm....
There are probably multiple ways to interpret this.

On one hand it could be that advertisers have noticed that conventional ads are no longer working. For one thing we're getting wise to them, for another they are less relevant in a world of devolved content production (and consumption).

They have cottoned on to the fact that targeted content is much more effective and a recommendation which comes from someone you know carries exponentially more weight but to make that work and enrol us all as unwitting (and unpaid) channels for their wares they need to a) encourage everyone to organise their social networks online so they know who knows whom and to get as much information about everyone as possible so that they know what to target them with - including tracking as much of their online presence as possible.

This, as has been observed above, makes Google - which is now basically an ad agency in disguise - lots of money and the more effectively they do it the better for them.

Another, more paranoid, interpretation is that no-one is allowed an opinion of their own any more. We must follow sheep-like what everyone else "likes" and bleats about. Obviously this is softening everyone up for whoever wins the Google/Facebook/Twitter/ebay mudfight to finally complete the mass brainwashing of the world's population. War is Peace, freedom is slavery and the chocolate ration has been increased three times this month already.

I suspect the first is closer to the truth than the second but I don't blame anyone who leans towards the latter.

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
Life Internet sucks less with a song...  :blah:

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
The irony being that this has gone totally viral and made money for Google from the ad impressions.

I think it's made the artist some too and I'm happy for that but it's sort of a spectacular own goal if she wanted to tell google to go and fsk themselves.

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
The irony being that this has gone totally viral and made money for Google from the ad impressions.

I think it's made the artist some too and I'm happy for that but it's sort of a spectacular own goal if she wanted to tell google to go and fsk themselves.

Yes, it certainly did. It would be even more spectacular, if people watching this video decide to sign up in Google+ to leave a YT comment for her :scared: (i find that a very possible and likely scenario, to be brutally honest...)

Offline cloudscapes

• Regular Contributor
Half considering moving over to vimeo. The only thing that's making my decision difficult is that my channel has amassed a couple hundred subs for lots of exposure, while my vimeo account basically has zero.

And it's not even because it's "so much trouble to do stuff from G+", for me. It's the principal. Google forcing G+ down my throat, and basically admitting "yeah, we know our social networking site is shit, so now we're forcing you to use it". It's as close to being that without actually explicitly saying it. It's this crazy weird admission of defeat, on their part, except they're not letting G+ go down without taking youtube user-friendliness (what was left) down with it. Insane.

Somebody somewhere thought this was a good idea.

/firstworldproblems

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
Dave's video on this is now full of comments praising Google Minus. Is it cynical to suggest that those comments are floating to the top for a reason? (Dons tinfoil hat) I wonder how many goons they have upvoting these comments. Or if it's automated. Or if they're astroturfing.

Or maybe I'm just talking out my ass. :-//

Seems G+ is packed with fanboys licking Google's ass. And they all seem to know each other. And "all their friends are there", even though Google Plus is commonly known among average people as "what the hell is that?" because birds of a feather flock together.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline cthree

• Frequent Contributor
Many of the content creators I subscribe to on YouTube (who don't run a forum) are telling people to comment on their Facebook pages. Well played Google, well played.

Offline lnx64

• Regular Contributor
Dave's video on this is now full of comments praising Google Minus. Is it cynical to suggest that those comments are floating to the top for a reason? (Dons tinfoil hat) I wonder how many goons they have upvoting these comments. Or if it's automated. Or if they're astroturfing.

Or maybe I'm just talking out my ass. :-//

Seems G+ is packed with fanboys licking Google's ass. And they all seem to know each other. And "all their friends are there", even though Google Plus is commonly known among average people as "what the hell is that?" because birds of a feather flock together.
Tell me about it, as a content producer on YouTube, I'm annoyed that I can't even reply to some videos if there setting on G+ doesn't allow reply's to their comments from "anybody".  Apparently you posting on my video makes me an anybody.  Seems kinda wrong.

Then again, I see that some of the comments praising G+ on Daves channel, are some of the same people on MY channel, and that upsets me.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Then again, I see that some of the comments praising G+ on Daves channel, are some of the same people on MY channel, and that upsets me.

Quite a few have said I just haven't used the "the bell" or the "notifications" page on G+, that's where all the comments are.
I have, and no they aren't!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
So Google have opened the door for a competitor for you tube. I just have to wait for the launch. :-DD

If Vimeo were smart, they would use every last dollar they can muster to entice the top few dozen youtubers over to them.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

How else is a youtub video producer supposed to tell google to go fsk themselves?

Offline lnx64

• Regular Contributor

Quite a few have said I just haven't used the "the bell" or the "notifications" page on G+, that's where all the comments are.
I have, and no they aren't!
They definitely aren't showing up on the bell for me.  In fact for me, I'm getting a crap tone of email spam from Google lately, more than the bell shows, and that still doesn't show all of the notifications.

Btw, the old ban location was the address book, if you say, needed to unban someone.  Apparently the new location, which isn't even documented yet, is:  https://www.youtube.com/comment_management

The system is way to inconsistent.  :(

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
So the question is, what other video sharing alternatives are there? I know Dave won't be switching to anything else. He is trapped as it has become a part of his income to live on.

Coincidentally, I just got myself a Vimeo Pro account the other week. And have actually started to upload my back catalog onto there.
I have no plans to switch to Vimeo of course, but am looking into it as a platform for some potential paid content if/when I get into that.
I actually said this in part of the video, but re-shot it and forgot to mention it, but it's no secret that most of my income comes from outside of youtube/adsense. That is why I have been able to be a full time youtuber with comparatively tiny stats that no other youtuber could possibly make a full time business from, even if they lived in their mums basement.
I could potentially ditch youtube and still survive, if I had to, but of course I would be foolish to do so. Youtube is still the only game in town when it comes to building an audience and getting those "long tail" search views. That's fancy industry-speak for saying if I ditch youtube then I would instantly lose approx 25K views/day.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 04:19:39 am by EEVblog »

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
Someone here pointing out the simple technical failures in the YouTube changes:

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
How else is a youtub video producer supposed to tell google to go fsk themselves?
Take all the videos over to Vimeo and close the YouTube account?

Probably most people won't do that. For people with established channels which they don't want to wreck or have to build up all over again they might well just have to swallow the bitter pill and get on with life. It doesn't stop the irony that a video of a girl singing a song about how pissed off she is at google will net that very entity more revenue.

I know where Fran is coming from. I have a gmail account (got to as I have an Android phone) but it's not used - well, except it saved me having another gratuitously useless online account when I wanted to sign up to a couple of Yahoo forums. But Google is now big enough to start to use one service that people actually want (ag a phone) to leverage uptake of another. It's insidious but certainly could lead to the scenario that Fran describes. It probably won't but could if Google want.

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
I'LL BE A SHEEPLE .
If dave goes somewhere else , I will follow ;)
Then hopefully some of my other sources will move also ?
I have a futuristic thought , there will be so much of this crap [ we will tell you what to like ] that someday I may get rid of any internet shit ?
If I live long enough to see some value again , and come back to a FREE-THINKERS-WEB ?
It would seem that most all of the futurist political Sci-Fi's are coming true  1984 , Atlas Shrugged etc.   

Offline ampdoctor

• Frequent Contributor
Hate to say it but what's it going to take for people to see that a lot of the tinfoil hat nutters aren't so nuts?! If you want to try a little experiment install adblock and especially no-script and watch what scripts are trying to be executed and the amount of information that's being sucked up by google, fb, and a few other very big data miners. It's horrifying.

At one point I used to have a java script that you could modify and install on a website that would haul down every shred of personal and technical info of any piece of hardware connecting to a site running it irrespective of firewalls, antivirus, cookie crushers, etc. Well it's just metadata so really it's all ok of course! *cough* There's virtually no limit to what this thing had the capability of hauling down. Basically if you go online they own your ass and your whole life is on the auction block!

Want to put content up with none of their bullshit, what you need to do is make your own site, hook up to a red5 server in sweden or some other country that has told the nsa and big corporate to go fuck themselves and push your own media. To pay the bills provide some of it free and for full access require paid subscription or donate. Problem solved...mostly. Yeah, there are a few issues doing it this way, but at least you've taken back control of your content and information.

Offline cthree

• Frequent Contributor
I use YouTube strictly for the video content. If the content were to move, so would I. It comes down to subscriptions. I have a bunch and I use "what to watch" and "my subscriptions" to see what's new and watch it. I use the Click to Flash browser plugin so that I get the HTML5 videos instead of the Flash videos and hence no ads. Only downside is it doesn't know what I've watched, small price to pay. I'll browser the related videos on the right to find new content. I rarely read YouTube comments and always end up hating myself when I do.

All of that is very basic (as a viewer and not a creator). All of that is fairly basic. It wouldn't take Ustream/vimeo/twitch.tv much to provide the same level of service. It would just take having enough content creators to move their content over and I'd start to use those service as well. I'm starting to watch all of them for new content rather than just youtube now.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
So Google have opened the door for a competitor for you tube. I just have to wait for the launch. :-DD

If Vimeo were smart, they would use every last dollar they can muster to entice the top few dozen youtubers over to them.

If they provided an easy way to migrate (e.g. copy vids direct from YT, and high initial quota for transferring existing content) that would be a good start
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
I never comment, and I'm not a content producer, but still, youtube is a bit crappy, especially playing videos(who knew!), even in a 30Mbps connection, it stutters, it doesn't buffer the good dam video(I know, all hail the power of streaming), if just f*cking stops playing the video, and thats a refresh for you, it might work now, sweet, its like playing russian roulete, will I live this time?...

If someone could make a copy of OLD youtube, man, that would make money, sadly, web coding is not for me  :palm:

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
I never comment, and I'm not a content producer, but still, youtube is a bit crappy, especially playing videos(who knew!), even in a 30Mbps connection, it stutters, it doesn't buffer the good dam video(I know, all hail the power of streaming), if just f*cking stops playing the video, and thats a refresh for you, it might work now, sweet, its like playing russian roulete, will I live this time?...

Not only you. It has been the same for most people now for a long time.

The YouTube team has lost sight of the most elementary use case:
  • I locate a video I want to watch
  • I watch it

I doesn't seem that hard, does it? Yet they can't make it work   ::)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf