Author Topic: new youtube policy forcing casters and viewers to Google+ Fran closing EE site  (Read 28018 times)

Offline jh15Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
I learned of Fran's videos from here, and enjoyed her shows while waiting for a new EEVBlog.

Her videos say not available now on my youtube, but her swan song is here on her twitter. Possibly her older vids too.

https://twitter.com/contourcorsets
Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Offline lnx64

• Regular Contributor
Yeah it's a problem for me too as a YouTube'er. I can't even reply to videos on my own channel. It says I'm not allowed to comment on them.

Offline JoannaK

• Frequent Contributor
    • Diytao making blog
Fran's video is still available at Goodbye Cruel YouTube... I'm Taking the F%#!cking Red Pill!! Last Upload??????  (or at least I still can see it)

Yeah, I do agree her fully. I also hate this mandatory Google+ pushing that's been going on. Now I can't even comment videos with my old Youtube.login, but must sign into G+. I don't really like G+, it's amongst the most unnecessary stupid gimics there is.

All in all, that G+ on it's own would be just anonying, but combined to all other nasty things happenings (like Google leaking my personal stuff to NSA etc) and the share coverage of the Google related stuff I have used (Gmail,calendar, youtube, blogger, Android-phone etc) during these years, I feel that my limit has been reached.

I'm no direct intent of deleting any of my accounts or content, but from now on I start more acitively use other alternatives. And amongst them I'll start boycotting all Google-adds since that will be the only thing Google understands. More people will use adblokker, the sooner google sees their income gone.  (Sorry Dave, I know you'd prefer to see income from adds, but the price has become too high)

Another hard decision will be selection of the next phone ... I'd like to have a smartphone that does not *leak*, and appanrently there's not a single American company to trust (thus no Apple, M$ nor Android phones). Also Nokia moved to m$, so that was the end of that.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Its just the matter of time and so obvious that everyone should see this coming.  ::)

Ultimate goal for Google, in order to use Google's Search , Youtube, Map, Earth, Mail or other products, ... one day ... you probably need to surrender your personal details ... your id#, security#, driver license, CC, bank acct etc) .... sorry, I think this is the right one .... your soul.  >:D

Offline Bloch

• Supporter
Google did have a problem ........ I think even Dave did mention that the comments on YouTube can be "very bad". 

That happening then it is possible to hide i anonymity !

So Google are trying to save a way to still comments.

In my book I think they are doing a very good thing !

Offline tehmeme

• Regular Contributor
Google did have a problem ........ I think even Dave did mention that the comments on YouTube can be "very bad". 

That happening then it is possible to hide i anonymity !

So Google are trying to save a way to still comments.

What's to stop people from creating multiple fake google+ accounts? this doesn't help in the least.

Offline clifford

• Regular Contributor
    • www.clifford.at

By not even allowing the uploader herself to answer to comments on her own videos? I don't think so! (If you can upload videos longer than 15 minutes it means that you are already verified using a mobile phone number, btw.)

Google+ was not as successful as they hoped and now they are trying to force it on people.

I've disabled comments on my videos and link to a SubReddit for comments. (I actually have a Google+ account but I don't want to lock anyone out.) At the same time Reddit is a really good example of something that works without enforcing any clear name policy on anyone, btw.

Also the whole "see comments of people you know" thing is designed for kids commenting on justin bieber videos and discussing it with their classmates. I want to see the most relevant comments on the top, not the comments that come from people who know someone I know or happen to live close by..

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." (Eleanor Roosevelt). Imo they replaced something that was designed for noone with something that is clearly designed for small minds, because now its more important who said it then what was said. I'm not sure if this makes the whole "forcing the Google+ privacy policy on people" thing better or worse..
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 06:09:14 pm by clifford »

Offline Bloch

• Supporter
What's to stop people from creating multiple fake google+ accounts? this doesn't help in the least.
https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1228271?hl=en

Offline Bloch

• Supporter

I've disabled comments on my videos and link to a SubReddit for comments.
So you want to force me to be a SubReddit member to to comment on you videos ? :scared:

Offline Bloch

• Supporter
By not even allowing the uploader herself to answer to comments on her own videos?
Well if she login too Google+ then there are no problem.... are there ?

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
A minor inconvenience, you make a G+ account, make your first and only post "Google/NSA I hope you choke on a bag of festering wieners" then never visit again.

Life moves on.

Offline clifford

• Regular Contributor
    • www.clifford.at

So you want to force me to be a SubReddit member to to comment on you videos ? :scared:

You can create a Reddit account anonymously. The issue here is not about Google+ per se (before you needed a youtube account to write comments), it is about the Google+ privacy policy.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
There is definitely something creepy about Google "Googlifying" everything. She's right, they do seem to want everything. Not sure how I feel about that.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
So what are the alternatives? I agree with Fran and that is one of the reasons I quit facebook. Now google is getting even worse it seems like we are running ow on choices.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
The really retarted thing is they no longer email you any comments as they appear - whatever they do regarding leaving comments there is no reason to stop this.

A very rough finger-in-the-air estimate is the comment rate on my vids has about halved
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Wow, I have not been looking too much at my channel for a week and now I have no idea how to reply to people or do other things that was easy. What a waste of time. I am definitely looking for another way now. This is ridiculous.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
I am probably totally daft, but how does one reply to comments on a video now? I can only make a new independent comment and can see no way to make a reply.

Offline lnx64

• Regular Contributor
I am probably totally daft, but how does one reply to comments on a video now? I can only make a new independent comment and can see no way to make a reply.
Sometimes a Reply button shows up.  Sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes when it's there, it just says this, like it does on my channel.

I can't work with this, I really can't..

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
As to commenting, I have not made one this weekend. Can only push like or dislike and have it stick.

Must have been invented by somebody hit way too much with a Clue By Four but where the stick did not work at all.

Offline Isamun

• Regular Contributor

Atleast there you can read the comments.. What we need is a steamlined youtube-client that can tie the videos together with a place to comment that addresses these issues. Im sure google wouldnt like that, though.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
My personal YouTube account existed several years prior to Google buying them. So I like the bit of anonymity that YouTube had.  I nearly always use the name Stonent when online but I always tried to keep it separate from my personal life. I tried G+ back when it first came out just like everyone did but then went back to Facebook like most others did.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline tehmeme

• Regular Contributor
https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1228271?hl=en

what's your point?
google suggests this, and google suggests that. The reality is people are creating fake accounts all the time and trolling away to their hearts content.

The only people this is affecting are the legit youtubers and content creators, forcing youtubers to use their G+ is, as many have already suggested, for other reasons and not to curb trolling or streamline the comments section or any other nonsense google has publicly declared.

The comments section has become truly unusable. It's a mess.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 12:13:18 am by tehmeme »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
By not even allowing the uploader herself to answer to comments on her own videos?

She mentioned setting up a separate machine just for youtube comments. If you want to retain the benefits of being a youtube content creator, but hate G+, you can always do just that. IMO, that's not a bad option, but I can understand her hatred and taking a stance here.

For me, I didn't notice a thing (apart from the stupid ordering of comments by likes, and the default "share with g+ check box) because I've had to have a g+ account for a long time, but have almost never used it.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu

She mentioned setting up a separate machine just for youtube comments. If you want to retain the benefits of being a youtube content creator, but hate G+, you can always do just that. IMO, that's not a bad option, but I can understand her hatred and taking a stance here.

I don't think it's about whether or not you can get around it, I think it's more about whether or not you have to. Like I said, Google taking control of as much as they possibly can is just slightly creepy as hell, and if that already bothers you it's not going to feel warm and fuzzy to be required to use one more Google service. Especially when the whole point of that service is to get you to share as much information about yourself as possible.

(Not arguing with you, I see you understand her, just remarking)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:31:19 am by c4757p »
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
The only people this is affecting are the legit youtubers and content creators, forcing youtubers to use their G+ is, as many have already suggested, for other reasons and not to curb trolling or streamline the comments section or any other nonsense google has publicly declared.

Correct. It has nothing to do with improving the comments system. Nor does it have a huge amount to do with getting more people using G+ as a social network (although I'm sure the would like that, hence the default ticked "share with G+" option box when commenting).
What it is mostly about is forcing people into a single user login system for everything you do with anything google (and Youtube) related. So they can better track you in every possible way. Government NSA big brother conspiracy theories aside, Google like the make money, and the more they know about you and can track you, the more money they will make.
This youtube change is just yet another small step along that path that has been going on for ages now. The only reason people are kicking up a stink now, is because it's youtube. People don't think of Youtube as a Google service, and Youtube is big, really really big, and used by practically everyone.

The comments section has become truly unusable. It's a mess.

It has never been usable, and certainly not for the content producers who have to reply to comments on hundreds of old videos.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf