Author Topic: New time record in Super Mario 64 thanks to... cosmic rays?  (Read 1074 times)

Offline NiHaoMikeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
New time record in Super Mario 64 thanks to... cosmic rays?
« on: February 18, 2021, 04:39:36 am »
https://www.thegamer.com/how-ionizing-particle-outer-space-helped-super-mario-64-speedrunner-save-time/
Or if you read the comments for the video, more likely a dodgy connection causing just the right bit flip.
For what its worth (This is Dota_Teabag), I often had to tilt my cartridge weird ways in order to get the game to start. It seemed if i had it all the way pressed down sometimes it wouldn't start, but if i pulled it up on one side ever so slightly, it would start just fine. So if you think that is a possible factor, it is worth considering that fact.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: New time record in Super Mario 64 thanks to... cosmic rays?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 08:58:08 am »
Thought this was old news, I see the revelation is testing almost everything.  Last I heard, they had already tried to recreate the sequence of inputs perfectly, to no avail -- leaving something like crooked cart as a likely suspect.  Cool to see it was resolved down to a single bit.

Likely, helped out by the decomp project?  For those that don't know, if you own an SM64 cartridge, you can legally dump or download the ROM contents, then extract the assets, then compile the assets with the open source decompiled game engine code, and produce a bit-exact copy of the ROM for example--ah, not that that would be all that useful, but, with suitable patches for IO devices, SM64 is fully playable on Windows and everything else, bare metal, no emulator required!

(The help would be, total knowledge of RAM addresses -- much of which have been known for a long time thanks to research into cheat codes.  Which are... partly just cheating for the sake of cheating, but on a more practical level, also for faster practicing for legit speedruns.)

And if anyone finds 25-year-old video games an odd priority, remember, this is just practice with all the same techniques that security researchers employ to strengthen our online ecosystem.  ACE (arbitrary code execution) in Ocarina of Time may just be cute, but ACE in a networked device might cost people millions of dollars in lost data, downtime and etc.!

Neat fact: controller-exclusive ACE has been demonstrated in at least one game, on the consoles: NES, SNES, uhh Genesis I think?*, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, PlayStation, N64 (one of the newest additions to this list), and GameCube.  Not sure about PS2 and Xbox.

*I know there's been use of "game end glitch", which is usually a glitch of similar severity, but perhaps not enough functionality to get ACE.  So these typically have the form of, writing a few bytes of arbitrary memory, changing gamestate to "credits".

Note that most modern consoles (say PS2/GC and up) have (almost) all been hacked since a long time -- but these are somewhat different exploits.  For example the GC's first hack came within weeks of launch, by abusing a lack of error checking/verification on savegame files for Twilight Princess, hence called the Twilight Hack; it was merely the first game they tried to hack, and lo, the first-party launch title proved fruitful.  Wii, DS, Wii U, Switch, PS3, PS4, etc. have all similarly had hacks.  (PS2 is the odd one out -- or am I thinking of PS3, I forget anymore -- a surprise benefit of Sony openly supporting Linux on the platform, of all things!)  The difference is, these consoles have external storage, so the attack surface is much higher.  But none of them have been hacked by controller input alone, as of yet, I think.

Heh, which, sorta the Switch was a controller hack, if you think about it, but not really...  The trick there was, gaining access via the controller port, which is USB I think, but also a few debug pins happen to be accessible.  Which map to the home/power buttons on the main SoC, so, the "paperclip hack" was literally just putting the glorified cellphone into bootloader mode, or something like that. :)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, richard.cs

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 09:07:52 pm »
Its interesting, but I feel any sort of hardware glitch or manipulation should be in its own category. Maybe next someone will shoot xrays at their system.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/dragon-quest-speedrunners-literally-heating-up-consoles-to-set-records/
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 11:58:17 pm »
Most communities ban hardware manipulation, nonstandard controllers or addons, basically anything not official release.  So, "crooked cart" and other such stuff is generally disallowed.  Dragon Quest is a good example of something controversial that was accepted by a community.

On the one hand, the diversity of rules across communities may seem overwhelming or inconsistent, but on the other I think it's a really cool example of true collective anarchy in action.  Well, sometimes.  I don't know if, or which, communities do, like, elections for moderators, or anything.  If nothing else I guess the "well this sucks, we're taking our balls and playing elsewhere" mechanism is pretty effective.  That, and there not generally being large financial rewards spoiling things.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 03:16:04 am »
Its interesting, but I feel any sort of hardware glitch or manipulation should be in its own category. Maybe next someone will shoot xrays at their system.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/dragon-quest-speedrunners-literally-heating-up-consoles-to-set-records/
The NES has been reverse-engineered down to the transistor level, maybe a SPICE might be able to find the exact glitch...

http://forum.6502.org/viewtopic.php?t=1768

...but it'll take a very long time.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf