Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1485660 times)

Offline talsit

• Contributor
    • naniBox
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #950 on: March 12, 2013, 07:47:55 am »
Hey, I'm DMO, born in Spain, lived most of my life in Australia, a year in Namibia, and now in Japan.

I've always been a visual person, programming graphics for games for several years, then graphics for animated features (happy feet 2), and now on live action movies making custom hardware.

Everything I learnt is thanks to people like you that share their knowledge. Thanks!!
// dmo @ nanibox

Offline leno

« Reply #951 on: March 12, 2013, 08:02:19 am »
hey my name is Leonard
i am a auto electrician in Adelaide South Australia

Offline commerou

• Contributor
« Reply #952 on: March 12, 2013, 08:20:00 am »
Hi My name is Kasper
I am a hobbyist in electronics
Greetings from Denmark

Offline beret82

« Reply #953 on: March 12, 2013, 09:10:41 am »
Hi,
My name is Marcin and I'm form POLAND.
Gratings to all you guys here.

Dave you are doing great job, keep it that way.

Marcin

Offline Mindlesscoolguy

« Reply #954 on: March 12, 2013, 09:43:00 am »
hi, I am Mindless (i don't like using my real name), I am an Australian, studying in Malaysia. I have been doing electronics since i was 8 (Well, soldering, anyway). When i was 10 I built myself an 100 watt Stereo Amplifier and pre-amp, using an STK 4192 II op amp (Off the top of my head =P), i am now in 13. I program in many languages, including: BASIC, Java, C++, C, Processing and a few others i cant remember.  Best thing about Malaysia: (Besides the food) That the components here are dirt cheap in comparison to Australia
Note: My Username does not reflect on me, i was just unlucky enough to like it when i was 8

Offline maca_404

• Contributor
« Reply #955 on: March 12, 2013, 09:47:48 am »
G'Day

John here from sunny Victoria, I have ten years experience in the hell called IT Administration and Dave and his videos have inspired me to take my hobby to the next level.  I have been consumed by electronics since getting my first DSE Funway kit when I was 8 years old and it snowballed from there,  As of this year I am an albeit old EE Student and I would like to thank Dave for inspiring me.

Cheers

Offline Lambros

« Reply #956 on: March 12, 2013, 05:11:39 pm »
Hello from athens,greece. I'm george, undergraduate  of electronics engineering at the Tecnological Educational Institute of Athens.

Offline Teslacoil4148

« Reply #957 on: March 13, 2013, 02:04:26 am »
Oh, the dreaded introductions forum that appears on all decent forums, guess I'll start from scratch for this one.

Livin' out in NY, US, currently a High school student, taking a half-day one year "Technical electronics" course (Essentially, "here's ohms law, here's how to calculate power, here's how to find series resistance, series-parallel, solder together kits, read a schematic, and do some basic computer repair", so pretty much the very basics). I spend hours reading articles and watching videos on the subject of electronics, with no real focus on any specific field. I'm aspiring to go into computer hardware engineering...What else might I put that could be even remotely relevant to this forum? Guess that'll be all for now.

Offline CHexclaim

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #958 on: March 13, 2013, 06:07:13 am »
Hello to everyone.

I was born and currently live in Montevideo, capital of Uruguay, South America (not in U'reGay, as Homer Simpson once said). Since I was a kid my dad started calling me Charlie although my real name is Carlos. I was very fortunate to attend a bilingual  primary and secondary school (english as a second language) here in Montevideo. I can read, write and speak english well enough as to understand Dave's aussie accent without any trouble.

I dropped engineering uni due mainly to other difficult situations in life at that time. I wish I would have finished it but this is the way life is.

I am 42 and counting. I have two young kids and a wonderful wife. My work makes me travel every week to Buenos Aires (Argentina). I work in a small company which started in Montevideo selling and deploying high end audio and video systems in the residential sector. The company then included home automation and lighting control in the portfolio. I worked at this company for around 15 years now and I lived all its evolution. Our main customers are in Argentina today so that is the reason for my commuting.

As a note, let's leave the high end audiophile discussion for another time, but after 15 years I can tell that, yes, human senses are far more subtle than we think, and that, the stuff that really bring the magic out is the one that is really well engineered and built. I truly understand the people that don't believe it, but just because it is difficult to come across a really good setup, budget independent.

I am project manager but, as in every small company, I am always hands on stuff. I am proud of many complex projects where I was heavily involved in the design and deployment stages. Not all of them, of course.

Since a small kid I was interested in electronics. I still remember the germanium transistor exploding in my hand when I plugged it into mains (my first unstable amplifier). I blame my interest on my dad. He worked for many years in IBM at the time where you had to probe everything until you found out the failing transistor. None of that hot swappable board replacement modern stuff. He studied industrial mechanics when young and with time he manage to bring together a fairly complete workshop at home. He also is a HAM (the old school ones!). All that combined together, well, molded me.

I am a HAM too, CX6BT, bitten by the magic of HF communication. My transceiver is an old (valve) Collins KWM-2A, if this says something to someone.

When I was a boy, as Dave says, Internet did not exist. I think that the positive side of that is that to make something work you had to figure it out yourself. I set aside electronics as a hobby for many years and it is Dave's fault for me to be catching up, but I never set the soldering iron aside, for sure.

I call myself a generalist as I have some level of interest in the way everything works and why it is done that way. Anyways, every one has its own understanding of the term. I am lucky to have been able to travel a bit. Argentina, of course, Brazil, Paraguay, United Sates, Spain, Portugal and England (well, Gibraltar..).

Please excuse me for the length of this essay. Best wishes to all. My gratitude to Dave, Chris, Jeri and all the other guys that are bringing my electronics hobby back.

I am @chexclaim in twitter. I do not post much but retweet things that I find useful and important. I have Facebook but just because necessity. I am not a fan of it.

Charlie.

Offline Uffe

« Reply #959 on: March 13, 2013, 11:14:47 am »
Hi,

Ulf here from Sweden, been lurking for long but took the time register.
Really appreciate all the great knowledge thats around here and how helpful pepole are!

:-+

//Uffe 

Offline skjafar

• Contributor
« Reply #960 on: March 13, 2013, 11:26:40 am »
Hello, My name is Sofian Jafar, I am an electronic engineer at an accelerator which is currently being built in Jordan, it's a specific type of accelerators called Synchrotron. Anyway, I first started watching Dave's Video Blog from the time video 10 came out (can't remember the date  :P)

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #961 on: March 13, 2013, 04:22:27 pm »
Keith, in Atlanta GA.

I originally went to school in the early 90's for EE with aspirations of designing circuits or perhaps digital processors, but was turned off by the absolutely abysmal math program at Louisiana Tech in those years (the Calculus professors were terrible and 100% unmotivated to teach anything). I ended up in Computer Science but landed a job in IT before finishing my degree.

After spending the past 15 years in software development / architecture (consultant), I picked up an Arduino last year and "remembered" my old interest in EE. I quickly moved on to general microprocessor programming (fascinated by the really tiny ones like the ATtiny series), and from there I moved into general electronics and PCB design. I have been going back through educational texts to learn everything I missed from the past 2 decades, and re-learning the fundamentals of EE theory. I have built a number of smaller projects now, with several more in-progress. I've been building up a small workspace with a bench PSU, solder station, hot air system, etc. Still need to get a starter scope but I'm in no hurry.

I stumbled upon EEVblog a few months back while looking for educational videos for SMD soldering techniques, and I have been reading these forums pretty much every day since then. I only just registered a few days ago because I didn't feel like I was knowledgeable enough to help anyone else until recently.

I'm not about to abandon the career that has treated me so well (and I love to design and develop software), but this adventure into EE has been a great amount of fun and I see it being a permanent hobby. Perhaps a tad expensive as hobbies go, but hey - as I tell my wife, at least it keeps me out of bars.

Offline EExtrom

• Contributor
« Reply #962 on: March 13, 2013, 05:30:44 pm »
Hello!

My name is Mitja and I was born in Slovenia (well, at the time it was yugoslavia (NOT Slovakia, at the time Chechoslovakia)).

Three days after getting my EE degree I moved to Finland with my finish wife.

I ended on this forum after stumble on Daves EEVblog several time and decided to watch them ALL!  :-/O

Wish you all good luck in your project endavours!

Offline shamanjoe

• Contributor
« Reply #963 on: March 13, 2013, 08:19:20 pm »
Hi, I'm Scott, from Los Angeles, California, USA. I've been into simple electrics for a long time, but am very new to soldering and actual electronics work. I'd like to learn as I go along, and teach my daughters, who are 1 and 3, as I learn things. I'm hoping they will grow up to know more about electronics than their old man can ever learn..

Offline mattmcp

« Reply #964 on: March 13, 2013, 08:24:54 pm »
Hi.  Matt from Ontario, Canada.  I did some EE courses in university and have built some electronics projects.  Slowly I've built a little lab and have the typical test equipment and some microcontrollers.  I've been watching Dave's videos for a while now and enjoy them all even if I don't understand the more complex EE concepts just yet.

Offline IanM

« Reply #965 on: March 13, 2013, 08:40:26 pm »
Hi, I'm Ian from Ontario Canada. Got my first taste of electronics with those x in 1 kits from radio shack when I was a kid. Now that I'm 30 I've gotten back into it for hobby reasons.

I found Dave's blog on youtube and has proven to be one of the best resources I've found so far.

Offline Anson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #966 on: March 14, 2013, 02:08:06 am »
Hello everyone. My name is Anson. I live in Florida in the good ole USA yeah well it used to be good but we won't go there. I'm 35 and disabled living on disability which kinda sucks, I don't have to go to work every day but most of the time I wish I did. It gets boring not being able to do much but I found this new hobby called electronics and I am having a blast so far I have a bread board and a handful of parts (mostly scrap) and a really messy desk! It's cool every time I move a paper with notes or circuits drawn on it I find a transistor or a led. It's really amazing when your first starting out how exiting it is to make an led flash. I'm sure most of you guys will look back and think wow yeah it was exciting. But you were probably 6 or 7 when you did it. I have a 7 year old daughter taht I want to start teaching electronics too but first I need to learn more. But anyway that's me in a nutshell.

Offline Nakitxu

• Contributor
« Reply #967 on: March 14, 2013, 08:46:07 am »
Hi everyone

My name is Inaki, from basque country.

I'm an electronics engineer but I took almost the last 20 years working as industrial programmer (PLCs and this kind of staff)

I discover the EEVBlog, and I'm again in the electronics.... (preparing my bench... a lot of work to start, huff).

My first project: convert an old and damaged HP Scanner into a UV exposure unit to make PCB.

A comment more: The captcha of this forum is horrible!!! I fail 9 of 10 times... huffff

Offline cynikal

« Reply #968 on: March 15, 2013, 04:44:23 am »
Hi everyone, i'm a early-30's computer/IT guy and have dabbled with electronics here and there and lately electronics are waaay more interesting to me than computers, so after discovering eevblog while looking for a 'capacitor tutorial' (which was hilarious/hella informative at the same time), here i am.  my earliest experience of electronics was when i was 8 and i had one of those kits ot assemble a radio.  i put it together fine but i had "left over parts" unfortunately, and it didn't work.  but it was a lot of fun and i am in the process of re-getting acquainted with all things electronics.. just picked up a dso today too (and got a 2nd multimeter earlier this week).. anyway other than my ramblings, i have a CS degree but i am starting to really wish i had an EE degree (and was doing that for a living instead), but all that math scared me off :-\ if only it was all hands on only

Offline Postal666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #969 on: March 15, 2013, 05:33:54 am »
Hi all!  37 year old Postal worker (18yrs) here who recently decided to return to school and finish up a long overdue EET degree.  Not looking to set the world on fire, just gain the electronics knowledge I've always wanted to have since I was a young whipper-snapper, and maybe build my own guitar audio gear. I discovered Dave and EEVblog by sheer chance a long while ago, lurked for a long time, then finally saddled up and joined the forum!

By all accounts I am a noob, both to the forum and electronics, and the EEVblog and it's community have been a blessing.  I think this is only my 5th post (now I can enter the contest, oh yeah!), but I was able to participate in the last live show.  I asked about signal generators (Rigol & Atten), but eventually came across an older HP 33120a which is working quite nicely.  Anyway, that's my story, see you around the forum.

Offline skiter13

« Reply #970 on: March 15, 2013, 02:02:29 pm »
Hello all.  My name is Richard and I am an EE student from Cleveland Ohio.  Today is my first time in/on the forum although I have been watching and enjoying Dave's videos for a few years.  I don't really remember how I first stumbled on the site, probably searching for help with a homework assignment but I have been coming back ever since.  Thanks Dave for providing this great place and all the great content for us nerds.

Offline dark_hawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #971 on: March 15, 2013, 04:33:22 pm »
Hi,

I'm Ahmed and I'm a Civil engineer from Egypt. I'm starting to learn electronics.

Offline georgedone

• Contributor
« Reply #972 on: March 15, 2013, 10:48:31 pm »
I'm George hailing from The Netherlands, I worki in IT but my hobbies are self-made alarm systems

Offline BobbyK

• Regular Contributor
    • GameDesignIdeas
« Reply #973 on: March 16, 2013, 01:25:00 am »
Hi Everyone,

I hail from the US of A. I studied EE in college, but in the past I've been mostly working in the software industry (well, game development really, but I always get weird looks when I say I make games for a living). Back in the days I designed and built audio amplifiers as a hobby, but then came work, and married life, and a baby,...and more recently, Dave!

When I found my way to EEVBlog, I was so inspired by Dave's motivated energy and love for all things electronic that I watched all of the videos in just a couple of weeks, and it revived the deep love I had for designing and prototyping electronics - So here I am, setting up a small lab, hoping to learn from all of you, and maybe at some point be able to contribute to discussion. Thanks for a great forum, see you all around :)

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #974 on: March 16, 2013, 05:09:36 am »
Hey there. 

Well despite my dad being on the forefront of the digital electronics explosion in the 60s-70s and wanting me to go into engineering, I opted for neurobiology where I spent the 80s and 90s playing with neuropharmacology and electrophysiology. Part of that time I was in charge of a large undergraduate neurophysiology lab course which meant a lot of time in front of Tek scopes and looking at small ionic currents and voltages across cell membranes.  Did some Labview programming and made some feeble attempts to learn electronics beyond the minimal I needed for the work I was doing but I never made it very far.  My copy of Horowitz and Hill remained mostly unread and eventually given away (damn!)  |O

Now 2 decades  and a medical education later,  and well into my second career as a "real doctor" I have found myself interested in electronics  again - this time as a hobby. This came on in part as an offshoot of my interest  in electric bicycles, renewable energy and after a recent solar installation -(microhydro is next!)

So, i've been diggin this blog and forum for the past few months and learning lots - thanks Dave!.

I'm putting together a small lab and even picked up a cheap ebay Tek 2236 for old times sake...

Making my way through some basic electonic books and even found a cheap Indian Press version of Horowitz and Hill. Hopefully, I'll get farther this time.  I have a few small projects lined up already so we'll see...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 06:13:28 am by mtdoc »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf