Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1497622 times)

Offline AppliedVoltage

• More power.
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #925 on: March 11, 2013, 04:00:50 am »
I'm a power electronics enthusiast. I like working with high voltages and high amps, and sometimes both. I also do some smaller stuff, programming microcontrollers and interfacing with them.

Love the videos.

Offline warywolfen

« Reply #926 on: March 11, 2013, 04:04:40 am »
My name is Clyde, and I'm from New Mexico, USA.  My electronic interests tend toward high-end audio and RF.  I've worked as an electronics technician and broadcast engineer for 14 yrs. I do a lot of shortwave listening. I'm also interested in chemistry and have a degree in chemical engineering.  Oh, I'm also drooling over that Fluke in the contest!  :-DMM

Offline RickieSalad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #927 on: March 11, 2013, 04:08:33 am »
Hey Dave

Not sure if you actually peruse the new member thread now that there are 63 pages worth, but I'll write as if you will see this...

I just wanted to thank you for your great videos and the forums.  I've been watching you for quite some time now. I remember watching videos from the shop in your garage. I loved how tried to absolutely maximize every inch of bench space by building a table top that just barely cleared your car hood, classic! 

When I was a kid I attended a semester at ITT Technical Institute for electronics. I loved it and was doing great in it. I got a great job offer and the training was going to interfere with school so I decided that I'd take a semester off and go back.  Of course life got in the way and that never happened.  I've been in IT for about 15 years and I'm getting really tired of it.  Finding your videos has really gotten me much more into electronics again.  I'm very seriously considering going back to school and get an EE degree, from a real university this time, not an ITT type school. So I'd have to say you've really had an impact on my life. So thanks.

I've been trolling the forums for quite a while now but I'm still one of the "young players", as you say, so I don't have much to offer so I never registered. I just like seeing peoples projects and things like that.  Although if it makes you feel better I did buy an Extech EX330, and a Rigol DS1052E through your Amazon store, I assume you must get a little cut of that.  ;)

I saw your video on Facebook about the Fluke CNX 3000 giveaway and I thought this would be a good time to get my 5 posts out of the way so I can enter.  8)

Thanks again.

Offline potatogun96

• Contributor
« Reply #928 on: March 11, 2013, 04:21:08 am »
Hi, my name is Eddie, I live in the United States, and am 16 years old. I have been into electronics since I started taking stuff apart at the age of 8-9. I got into it seriously over the past 2 years or so, and it has become my new favorite hobby. I like to play with everything, from programming to high voltage. I hope to become an EE in the future.

If you want to see some of the stuff I made, check out my youtube channel: www.youtube.com/user/potatogun96
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 04:24:57 am by potatogun96 »

Offline killernat

• Contributor
« Reply #929 on: March 11, 2013, 05:53:57 am »
im from montreal and im studying in industrial electronics with plans of getting an electronics engineering degree

Offline LyTeo

« Reply #930 on: March 11, 2013, 09:08:55 am »
Andrew from Latvia here. Currently 2nd semester masters in electrical engineering. Watching EEVblog youtube videos for some time now and figured it`s a good time to join, because of the contest obviously! :)

Offline ktulu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #931 on: March 11, 2013, 09:28:03 am »
Hi,
I am mainly in the low voltage, low power stuff and digital electronics. Found out about eevblog trhough Dave's PICKit3 video. Since than I've watched all of them.

Offline SebG

• Regular Contributor
  • Currently looking for an EE Job
« Reply #932 on: March 11, 2013, 09:46:12 am »
Hello everyone.  My name is Sebastian and I am from Canada, BC.  I got into electronics around grade 8 and one day someone showed me how to turn bits on/off on a PC's parallel port using BASIC.  I used an old computer with 5" floppy drive, a tiny harddrive (well maybe 10 Million! bytes) and a black and Yellow monitor (located in my closet next to my desk).  And after few hours of playing around turning on LEDs, fans, transistors and other Devices I asked my self why does pin 0 turns on when I output 1 and pin 1 when I output 2 and so forth.  I had no knowledge of what binary numbers were or what they represented.  None!  Well something about 1s and 0s.  Well I figured out that adding say 1 and 2 will turn each corresponding pin, pin 0 and pin 1 respectively, and that any number between 0 and 255 would turn some combination of pins.  Then ideas started to fall in place and I've learned all about binary numbers: how they are represented, the idea that they are base 2 and how to convert between base 10 numbers and binary. (It was a mind blowing day I will not forget) I consider that day to have inspired me to pursue learning about electronics and now I have a degree in Electrical Engineering.

This is my first post and 4 more so i can qualify to win the Fluke CNX Contest.  This will be hard since I don't want to just post ... crap. 
Sebastian

Offline XpsikotiX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #933 on: March 11, 2013, 09:51:52 am »
Hello,
I'm Adrian from Italy. I enjoy very much the quality content of the forum and the videos. Keep up the great job

Offline Dongulus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #934 on: March 11, 2013, 11:03:25 am »
Hello to anyone reading this,

I'm Spencer. I'm a recent college graduate in California with a BSEE. I've kept up with Dave's videos for years and I am just now joining the forum (to be honest because of the contest announcement  ;D). From a cursory look at some of the threads, I can tell that becoming active in this forum should prove to be of value to me as both a young professional and a hobbyist.

Happy reading,

Spencer

Offline paulsev

• Contributor
« Reply #935 on: March 11, 2013, 11:44:09 am »
Hi my name is paul, I am a 3rd year EE stuent at Queensland University of technology and I am working full time for an electric utility in Australia called Energex. I have watched Daves videos for years and only recently started using the forum as I am developing an open source Geiger Counter.

Offline Nack486

• Contributor
« Reply #936 on: March 11, 2013, 12:34:12 pm »
My name is Ivaylo and I'm from Bulgaria. I study in an engineering high school but I have yet to decide if I want to study programming or EE. I'm interested in embedded systems and audio circuits.

Offline mwtheobald

« Reply #937 on: March 11, 2013, 12:50:23 pm »
Hi,

I'm from Canada and haven't done electronics in many (25+) years but my 9yr old daughter is very into breadboarding and looking at circuit boards (what she used to call cities, most likely because the cap's/etc looked like skyscrapers).  I really enjoy the video's and hope Dave keeps it up.

Mike.

Offline ngfish

« Reply #938 on: March 11, 2013, 12:52:04 pm »
Hey, I'm nick from hawaii... Just another electrical engineering student working towards getting a masters in EE.

I'm a lead systems engineer on a student project launch next fall.. (CubeSat)  And I hope to change paths and move into research using liquid metal in microwave circuits and antennas. 

Well, Hello

Offline toster

• Contributor
« Reply #939 on: March 11, 2013, 01:21:54 pm »
Hello from Latvia!

Currently an IT student that enjoys watching the show. Keep up the good work Dave!

Offline Hair_of_the_Dog

« Reply #940 on: March 11, 2013, 06:21:52 pm »
My name is Jeremy. I'm a hobbyist in the EE field. I'm one of those software guys Dave makes fun of all the time.

Offline snowl

• Contributor
« Reply #941 on: March 11, 2013, 06:41:09 pm »
Hi,
I'm Jörg from Germany, and I work in Computers (Programming, Monitoring and Automation), but as I started as a Communication Technican around 25 years ago so I still have electronics as Hobby and to fall back to when it is not programmable  :-/O

Offline andybdjuk

• Biomedical Engineer
« Reply #942 on: March 11, 2013, 07:04:36 pm »
I'm Andy,

I manage a Biomedical Engineering Department in a district general hospital. We manage and maintain a wide portfolio of medical equipment from a light you shine in your ear to life support equipment. Over the last 25 years medical equipment has gone from quite basic electronics to the cutting edge technologies being used today.

I have 30 years in electronics including fabrication of Josephson Junctions ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephson_effect ) for use in radio astronomy in the early years . Although I now only do a little electronics at work, I am very active on the hobby front.

I am into home automation, solar panels, wind turbines and stuffing information down the internet.

I'm an avid listener of the Amp Hour and EEVBlog

Thanks

Andy

To Measure Is To Know

Offline knarf.be

• Contributor
    • My personal blog
« Reply #943 on: March 11, 2013, 07:58:41 pm »
Hi, my name is Frank.
I like electronics and ict. I'm currently still at high school, but doing a lot of small projects in my spare time.
Almost any of my equipment is recycled self made or el cheapo, because the budget is very low.
I' m from belgium, and a also have a blog where I post in dutch my projects.

Offline VK3GCP

« Reply #944 on: March 11, 2013, 09:22:16 pm »
Hi all.

Name this way is Gerard, hailing from the ever changable melbourne!

I have been interested in electronics since I was 8. I now work in live sound and lighting production, and I find my electronics experiences invaluable every day!

I am also a Ham, callsign VK3GCP.

Cheers!

Gerard.

Offline Frollard

« Reply #945 on: March 11, 2013, 10:16:11 pm »
Greetings - circuit geek from Calgary, AB Canada!  Long-time instructables member (frollard) where you'll usually find me in Q/A answering questions about led current limiting resistors and the like!

been tinkering for many years - I have a few things on the go:
https://www.youtube.com/frollard
^currently working on some fun addressable led stuff, I try to vlog my cooler projects.

3d printer being built: Hadron ORD Bot...needs a little work and a few more components.

Animatronic iguana-sized bluetooth lizard prop for photography client...still in design phase...electronics done just need the mechanical skeleton and skin.

1986 Road Kings (Williams) Pinball machine that needs constant electronic and mechanical TLC.

High efficiency high-power led lighting (90+% in the DC-DC current limiting switch mode conversion) powering pwm enabled 20-watts-per-channel RGB, will become a dmx/usart controlled stage light.

I look forward to lurking around and poking in here and there!

Offline peterthenovice

• Regular Contributor
  • rip the other half out put in a bread board
« Reply #946 on: March 11, 2013, 10:52:07 pm »
hello,I am a novice the electronics world. I am of the few teens in mississippi that like get into electronics.
a craftsman multimeter, bk precsion scope

Offline Kaluriel

• Contributor
« Reply #947 on: March 12, 2013, 01:39:02 am »
I joined a while back, but never got around to introducing myself, I'm Steven from the South of England.
A games programmer by trade, and interested in electronics as a hobby.

Offline ajc

• Contributor
« Reply #948 on: March 12, 2013, 05:33:14 am »
Hi,

I'm Adrian from Australia.  I'm into HW design and a bit of SW.

Been on the forum for a while, but never did an intro...

Offline millerb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #949 on: March 12, 2013, 06:23:28 am »
I'm Brian from Salisbury Maryland, US. My background is mainly software but I have a strong interest in electronics. Lately I've been doing a lot of stuff with FPGAs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf