Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1485770 times)

Offline darrenb

• Contributor
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #550 on: March 05, 2012, 09:37:01 pm »
HI my name is Darren.  I'm 44 years old.  My full time job is 'airline pilot'.  I fly a 13 tonne SAAB 340 twin turboprop all over eastern australia out of Sydney airport.  I've only been doing this for a few years.

My previous job for ten years was self employed shareware software developer.  I made over a million dollars (spread over ten years - so not that much really) making a program called CityTime which was consistently in the top ten apps for Palm devices for many years.  CityTime and a few other apps that I have made are currently available for iPhone.  This was the easiest job I've ever had.

Prior to this I was a self employed Macintosh computer consultant.  This job was the most fun of anything I've done.  I'd run around the Sydney CBD (central business district) with a briefcase and a mobile phone helping out various clients with their computer problems.

Be careful what you wish for - it may come true.  Since I was a kid I had always wanted to be an airline pilot.  Now that I have achieved this it is the thing I've least liked doing out of all the things I've done in the last 20 years.

Offline mtkaalund

• Contributor
« Reply #551 on: March 06, 2012, 04:30:53 am »
Hi, from Denmark, my official English title is "Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering", which basic says that Im a electronic engineer, so....
<ponds on what to write>
Been following Dave for a couple of months now, and I have taken an interested in his video blogs.

"Keep buggering on" -- Winston Churchill
VIR => V = I*R, neat ;)

Offline PaulS

• Contributor
« Reply #552 on: March 06, 2012, 06:02:12 am »
Hey! I am Paul, 19 years old.

Currently in my second semester of electrical engineering at University of Colorado -  Colorado Springs.

I've been into electronics as long as I can remember, and I found EEVblog while looking to learn some more.
Currently I am watching all the the videos, on #38 right now.

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #553 on: March 08, 2012, 02:53:38 am »
Hi everyone, i am from the Netherlands.

I am electrical field engineer for 22 years now, i am following Dave on his youtube channel for a while now so i thought i should register here to share some knowledge and most important to learn a lot from others.

Offline DeezNANDs

« Reply #554 on: March 08, 2012, 06:43:23 pm »
Greetings all!

My name is Drew, and I'm from the Northeast US. E.E. by degree, in college I had focused more on the VLSI design and solid-state physics end of the stick. I also had a great interest in high voltage systems and lasers. Sadly, I've spent most of my career so far doing QA type work for consumer electronics - and the hobbyist in me was put on hold for the last 8 years or so :)

Anyway - enthusiastically getting back into it now and digging out all my old test gear and inventory. Found eevBlog and have been following Dave's videos and the forum for a little while now. Seems like a great bunch of people here, and a good knowledge base.

So that's that!

Offline jyaan

• Contributor
« Reply #555 on: March 08, 2012, 10:55:12 pm »
I'm Jonathan from Michigan (USA). I'm a software guy -- lots of experience with C, Java, Lisp, Python, etc. I'm still more or less starting out in the "professional" sense though. Anyways, I thought it would be really interesting to try coding on smaller devices, so I got an Arduino, Launchpad, meter, breadboard, etc (I'm still lacking a few important bits of kit -- particularly a scope -- but I manage). I found myself wanting to learn more about how electronics worked, and have been spending time reading various books and articles I found on the net. Eventually I found Dave's blog, so here I am.

Offline Greate

• Contributor
« Reply #556 on: March 09, 2012, 10:21:49 pm »
I'm JD, new here a not so smart electronic technician that probably asking a lot of question here. Please be patient with me.

Offline TriodeTiger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #557 on: March 09, 2012, 11:09:52 pm »
Hello EEVblogforum!

My name is Alexander, had sparked an interest in electronics a year ago by reading an old electronics course manual. Dave got me really interested in project design mid way, I simply love his sarcasm and seemingly coffee-driven episodes.

I know all sorts and bits of theory that are a little broken, have yet to *actually* build some things and have fun - finally have the time and money to do so. :) In fact ordering my Hakko FX-888 in a week.
"Yes, I have deliberately traded off robustness for the sake of having knobs." - Dave Jones.

Offline Quiggers

• Contributor
« Reply #558 on: March 15, 2012, 10:44:52 am »
hello,
I completed a degree in electronic engineering last year and i'm half way through an add-on in electronic systems.

I'm a keen hobbiest, anything to do with audio / midi etc is right up my alley.

It was the video reviews of multi-meters and DSO's that brought me here.

Offline kj5cn

• Contributor
« Reply #559 on: March 15, 2012, 06:07:38 pm »
Hi all,

I'm Peter, my homebase is Florida USA. I'm a senior electrical engineer, currently working as an independent contractor/consultant in electronic hardware and embedded software design.

Offline alcwell

« Reply #560 on: March 15, 2012, 08:13:27 pm »
Hi all, I Alastair from the UK. I'm a mechanical guy and found EEVBlog when I decided it was time I learned a bit more about electronics while I was converting a manual bench mill to CNC.

I have been lurking for a while and am hoping the my account won't disappear again now that I have posted something!

Offline Aldem

« Reply #561 on: March 16, 2012, 07:50:57 pm »
Hi, I'm Alan !

I'm from Québec, Canada.
28 Years old.

I have 2 diplomas. One as an industrial electrician and one as an industrial mechanic.

My father and 3 of his brothers are electricians, son when I was young, motors and circuits were my "lego blocks" ;)

Offline ShiftRegister

« Reply #562 on: March 16, 2012, 10:53:29 pm »
Hi from England,

I'm just a hobbyist who used to play a little bit here and there with electronics as a teenager. Fast forward several decades and I picked up Arduino UNO R3 recently which sparked my interest in electronics again and quite by coincidence I have also stumbled upon Dave's videos on YouTube which brought me to this forum.

Offline jhalar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #563 on: March 17, 2012, 07:40:48 am »
Hi I'm John,

I am from Sydney Australia.

I graduated as a computer and electronics engineer in 1992. Designed mainly microcontroller (68HC11 and similar) and RF stuff back then.
Moved slowly into computer servers and network engineering, fulltime by 1997. Have been in the IT side ever since.

I was feeling nostalgic and realised that I did not want to completely forget my skills I used to have in electronics.
Looking around the internet, trying to catch up on the electronics world when I came across this blog. Got me hooked.

Keep it up.

Electronics and Network Engineer. Working in both worlds.

Offline ampdoctor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #564 on: March 22, 2012, 09:26:21 pm »
Hi all;

I'm Carl and a product of the USN and Northern Illinois University. Started out ME and ended EE. Been working in pro audio in the area of design, repair, and modification of primarily valve electronics for the past 15 odd years.  I've been knocking the cobwebs out of the belfry lately and relearning a lot of what I've forgotten over the years, particularly in the area of embedded systems, and wound up here through Dave's youtube videos. This seems like a really good forum with good folks and I hope I'll be able to contribute in a positive way here.

Offline digitalundernet

• Contributor
« Reply #565 on: March 25, 2012, 05:46:23 am »
Hey all. I'm JT and an EE student. I've been big into electronics since I was a kid. My parents quite loved that I kept trying to make robots. Back then all I did was BEAM type bots. Now I'm trying to learn more and I've dove head first into a project that might break me. I'm building (yet another) a Z80 computer. I've got some pretty lofty goals I don't quite know if I'll reach like 1 mb of RAM, ISA video, prototyping for extra hardware. I joined because I need a group to talk to, get feedback and learn from. I've followed Dave for a while but decided "Why the heck not?" and joined.

HI!

Offline Alex_arg

• Contributor
« Reply #566 on: March 26, 2012, 04:10:30 pm »
Hi all, greetings from Argentina.
My name is Alejandro, i'm a self-taught electronic technician and C++programmer, living in small city in Argentinian NE.
I've always been working in design/build all sorts of electronic designs, but mostly as a hobby. I run a service/repair shop for living. (no work positions for design in this zone, and less for a 45 y.o. man).
I want to thank Dave for this great idea of video blogging, i've become a fan of this site and i like very much Dave's style of hosting the videos. Í discover the site a few weeks ago, so i'm getting up to date watching all the videos , some are very fun!.
Curiously, i always did the same thing when buying new instruments or any piece of equipmennt, open up first ! to see what's inside. :-).

Congratulations Dave ! you are doing a great job, mostly for young people interested in electronics. I still waiting your next video ! Bye

Offline 2is4

« Reply #567 on: March 28, 2012, 09:00:50 am »
 Hi my name Tesfa i am from ethiopia and currently in my last year of high school. I have always been interested in electronics because of my family. My dad is an epidemiologist and uses satellites to track the spread of diseases and always had cool bits of kit at home. I am currently hoping to set up a small lab so that i can build an 8 bit processor that i have designed  :)

Offline graynomad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #568 on: March 28, 2012, 09:32:06 am »
Hmmm, well first electronics job in 1980 after about 8 years as a globe-trotting photographer/any job I could get.

Worked for 20 years in electronics/IT from analogue design to fuzzy logic database stuff. Had a product (EPROM emulator) on the market for a while.

Retired at 45, sold everything and hit the road.

Now I spend my time doing nature photography, writing, and tinkering with embedded uC designs while living wherever my 6x6 Army truck happens to be parked.

I spend most of my web time on the Arduino forum but hopefully can contribute here as well.

BTW, is it only newbies that have to enter that annoying verification code or does that continue for ever?

______
Rob
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:34:20 am by graynomad »
Graynomad, AKA Rob Gray www.robgray.com

Offline artico78

• Contributor
« Reply #569 on: March 28, 2012, 09:43:54 am »
Hi, im an Engeneer in Electronic, i fix musical instruments like keyboards, mixer, live equipment. Electronic its my life, i studied for all my life that. Unfortunately in Italy its not easy work on hardware, just jobs like programmers in 90% of cases.
I hope to give my little help to made our blog grow up.

Offline christ

« Reply #570 on: March 29, 2012, 12:33:10 pm »
Hi - Chris from Scotland, here! I stumbled across this site and found a couple of interesting threads.......

Offline Taburn

« Reply #571 on: March 29, 2012, 01:27:58 pm »
Hi, my name is Adam. I'm in my third year of electrical engineering and am currently on a co-op work term at an army base. I want to buy an oscilloscope, which is what lead me here  ::) My interests mainly revolve around analogue design and making tinny things that fit in boxes.

Offline mc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #572 on: March 30, 2012, 11:55:36 pm »
Hi,
Moray here from Scotland.

I'm a vehicle technician during the day, predominantly dealing with diagnostics, but have always played with electronics/computers/websites for just as long as I've been playing with vehicles. I'm currently using Arduinos for a couple projects I've got on the go, and happened to stumble across this place while searching for some info on desigining/assembling my some SMD boards.

Offline AndyT8

« Reply #573 on: April 01, 2012, 02:32:37 pm »
Hi I'am Andy,

Now retired but used to work with control and data logging in the Chemical Engineering research field.  Worked a lot with PC's and data logging software and hardware.  Now days mostly repairing odds and sods at home but hopefully getting involved with my local school and the Rasberry Pi single board computer. Science Technology Engineering Maths ( STEM ) is the new name of the game in education, at last comming round to something sensible.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #574 on: April 04, 2012, 12:11:59 am »
Howdy  (fake 'Aussie' accent, not nearly as good as Dave's) , the name's Vincent Himpe but i go by the handle free_electron. I started electronics by burning my finger on a, too hot, transistor in a little radio when i was about 6 or 7 years old. After finishing school at 18 i ended up as a maintenance tech in a semiconductor waferfab. I did wet-etch, plasma-etch and ion-implantation as well as lithographic equipment and some other wacky machines like ashers, vapour deposition and sputtering machines. After successfully troubleshooting the electronic assemblies, at component level, ( they used to get shipped back to the manufacturer at exorbitant prices ) and doing some 'upgrades' to some of these machines i moved on to the R&D lab. I made the eval and prototype boards for newly minted silicon , wrote firmware and test software (GPIB) and debugged the chips using lasercutters , die probers e-beam machines and FIB equipment.

I helped debug and design the first ADSL chipsets in 1995, long before anyone had even heard about this technology.  I designed the board ( 12 layer pcb ) with the  line interface, analog frontend , a/d d/a , the modem ASIC as well as the first CARM chip (an ARM7 with a cache controller. We were the first users.. even ARM hadn't tried that one yet.. there were no compilers. Only a JTAG debugger that let you poke around in the RAM directly in HEX... I wrote the bootloader for the CARM in hand crafted assembly and translated it, by hand in HEX so it could be punched in, as well as the board-level downloader . This code is still in use today as it is now a standard for booting the ADSL firmware. It sits in mask ROM and cannot be altered.

In 2000 i moved to a new design center to assist in the mass deployment of ADSL technology. I was responsible for the R&D lab , the design of the reference and application boards as well as the engineering proto's. We had our own in-house pick and place and reflow oven to do quick-time ( less than 4 hour) prototypes of boards.
After the comms bubble burst in 2003, i dabbled some more in ADSL and then moved on to Bluetooth after the ADSL group was disbanded.

Having figured out after a few months that this was a dead-end technology i moved on to a new horizon. Bluetooth was conceived when 300 kilopixel camera's were the norm. They had grand idea's of people taking snapshots and sending them through bluetooth from the camera to the printer. By the time the first bluetooth chips were commercially viable and mass deployment had begun we had 3 megapixel camera's. And sending a single image would take 10 seconds... All the grand visions they had for bluetooth never materialized as it was obsolete by the time it hit the mass market. Killed by its too low data bandwidth. Wifi had taken over and bluetooth was relished to simple things like keyboards, mixe and little earpieces. For anything else it was too slow.

So , beginning 2005 i entered a new world: that of the datastorage and harddisks. Today i am perpetually pondering on new ways to make the silvery platters that people thrust their data to, spin smoothly. Make circuitry to position the head even faster and more accurately, all while checking for shocks, rotations, drops, vibrations and keeping the power consumption of the SOC and preamps on the heads in check. When an unexpected event causes power loss i recuperate the energy stored in the spinning disks ( by using the brushelss three phase motor as generator ) to safely complete a write operation and then retract and park the heads off the platter. If your computer contains a harddisk that is younger then 5 years there is a better than 70% chance it's got a chip in it that i helped design, debug and write code for (can't take all the credit. This is a team effort of over 50 people). I am still repsonsible for the eval boards and platform , the drive board level code ( the API to the drive algorithms, call it the HAL ) . I make all the development boards (Altium/Solidworks since it has to mate with the drive mechanics) write the eval code (8051 in PL/M and ARM7 in C / Assembly, FPGA in Verilog before it ends up in the ASIC) and write the test system on the PC to tdrive the eval board and all instrumentation ( GPIB/ USB/ Ethernet ) . PC code is Visual Basic / C# mixture with a gateway to a python and matlab test-scripting  and visualisation backbone.

In my spare time i dabble with any electronics i can lay hands on. Living in Silicon Valley has its advantage that all the good trade shows are in-town and it is easy to get free development kits.
I have published multiple books on electronics (Dave showed my previous one in #251) and am writing a bunch more.

When not dealing with electronics ( hard to believe , but yes, every year i 'pull the plug' on electronics for three weeks -literally- ) i can be found on some tropical reef , a tank with 32% oxygen strapped on the back , video or photocamera in hand , chasing all kinds of little critters. I have two unbreakable rules when it comes to scuba diving : i want an ocean that is 80 degrees F or more ( 27 celcius ) and 100 ft ( 30 meters) of visibility. The best piece of diving gear is an airplane... because it takes you to a warm ocean.

I got my own domain : www.siliconvalleygarage.com

Still wondering why that transistor was so hot...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf