Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1497632 times)

Offline ddelectrical

• Contributor
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #2050 on: July 31, 2016, 05:31:03 pm »
Hi, I'm David from Devon in the UK. I run an electronics repair and electrical installation business  in the North Devon area. I spend a disproportionate amount of time diagnosing electrical faults on vehicles! My latest project is an Arduino based Geiger Counter. My latest head banging experience has been caused by my latest transistor order, (6 pairs of complementary power transistors but they are all NPN - lables are wrong on half of them! Classic), and trying to diagnose the demise of my beautiful HP1740A scope which decided to place it's trace about 4 feet above the bench and not on the screen. Great forum. Great host. Best place to be for geeks, proto-geeks, nerds, boffins, and those with a thirst for knowledge.  :bullshit:
Si fractum non sit nec reficere

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2051 on: July 31, 2016, 06:06:42 pm »
Hi everybody!

I missed this one, posted few things already.. Not very good with forums.. :palm:

Almost 50, been playing with wires and electricity since before elementary school..

I own a small electronics design and small scale manufacturing, mostly prototypes and bespoke things... Also doing consulting work on IT security, mostly banks..
Analog, audio, embedded, process measurements and automation, a bit of digital are my thing.. Also, sometimes capable of whipping up a bit of code that actually works.. In dozen of prog languages  ;D ( in 35 years you learn all kinds of stuf  :box:)
Not very good at RF, radio and such... Never liked it... :-//

Regards,

Sinisa

Offline whalphen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2052 on: August 01, 2016, 07:04:36 pm »
Hi.  I live in Michigan, USA and I'm recently retired.  I hold an Electrical Engineering degree, but most of my career was in administration and management.  Recently I've begun building up my home electronics workshop.  I also obtained an amateur radio license (K8VFO).  For about 18 months I have been doing volunteer work with middle school and high school students, teaching them electronics and wireless communications.  In conjunction with the local amateur radio club, we also have been conducting high altitude balloon launches with the students.  My recent electronics activities have been focused on PCB design using KiCad, circuit construction using SMDs with a homebrew reflow oven, RF circuit design and construction, PIC microcontroller circuit design and construction, and PIC programming with C.  My amateur radio station is primarily focused on QRP digital communications such as JT65 and WSPR.

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #2053 on: August 01, 2016, 07:33:11 pm »
Hi, atm I live in South Tirol, Italy. But soon I will be studying electrical engineering at the TU Graz.
I soldered together my first circuit ( a blinking device)  when I was about 13.5 years old. Since then I worked with mainly little amplifiers, radios and small short wave transmitters. Then begun working with HV but that soon stopped, because i'ts nothing you can use on a daily base. After that, I got obsessed with vacuum tubes. That lasted for quite a long time. During that period I build various amplifiers and a few radios. I disassembled most of them, because I had no use for all of them and they were poorly build too. The last one was the reason why I disassembled the tube scope I build. It was simply build in a completely wrong way.
During my "tube years" I changed school to a technical high school. It was there were I started enjoying the work with semiconductors. This year I finally finished school.
A lot of what I know today is self taught. I learned the rest at school. Over the years I acquired some decent equipment for my electronics lab, which of course will move with me, when I'm studying at university. I have always something to work on. Either tube base or "sand" based. I used to repair tube radios too, but there wasn't enough space for that, so I had to stop. I can program AVRs in C and write very simple programs in C#.
Right now I'm preparing to build a 400V powersupply for tubes, were the regulator is made of three PL500 and a EF80. The display is a HD4478 powered by a Atmega8. Besides that, from time to time, I'm testing parts of the program and circuitry for a electronic load I want to build.
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline y2khris

• Contributor
« Reply #2054 on: August 02, 2016, 05:11:13 pm »
Hi,

My name is Cris and I live in Orange County, CA.  I have been doing IT/IS professionally for 15 years now and I love all things open source.  I have an observatory at GMARS with a few friends and I purchased an arduino to create a weather station and have it close or not allow the roof to open depending on different atmospheric conditions.  I started buying different sensors and things I needed for it, I ran into eevblog and other places on youtube and now I have a new hobby!

I have uncles who are electronics engineers but they live in Europe.  Luckily I have all you brilliant people here to learn from!

Offline jenniferzhou

« Reply #2055 on: August 03, 2016, 07:06:11 am »
hello,I am a stident be interested in Electronics

Offline Romain

• Regular Contributor
  • HW & SW consultant
« Reply #2056 on: August 04, 2016, 10:50:19 am »
Hi all!
I'm a french guy living and working in Wales (UK)! I've been doing EE way before I got my MEng in robotics, embedded systems and energy savings in the WSN context.
I've already asked for help on the EEVblog forum, and I'd be very happy to help in turn.
Keep up the good work engineers!

Offline bobaruni

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2057 on: August 05, 2016, 02:29:31 am »
Hi, I'm Bob, an electronics designer and software programmer located in Melbourne, Australia and like to tinker in my spare time.

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2058 on: August 05, 2016, 10:32:17 pm »
Hi. From the UK. I'm a persistent dabbler in electronics for 20 years decided to hit himself with the clue stick a bit and got stuck  :palm:

Offline sidlas

« Reply #2059 on: August 06, 2016, 03:29:25 am »
Hi
total noob in electronics here... :palm:
working with semi trucks ecu`s
little work on cars ecu
reversing only for hobby  :-DD
usa windy city

Offline dmckenna23

« Reply #2060 on: August 08, 2016, 01:56:09 am »
I am just another Dave who is just another EE (UCONN '93 - Go Huskies!) who currently has a little extra time on his hands. My first blog ever. :blah: I came here just to have look. Hilarious.  :-+

Offline jnshadow

« Reply #2061 on: August 10, 2016, 06:02:57 pm »
I am a former lurker coming into the light!  Typical hobbyist mixing electronics, metalworking, and woodworking via CNC and microcontrollers.  The blog continues to serve as a fine place for "this is what happened to me with X" type of experiences which helps everyone else move ahead on their projects when they hit the same obstacles.  Where do we buy the t-shirts?  ;)

Offline Marco Valleggi

• K.I.T.T. Supercar
« Reply #2062 on: August 12, 2016, 10:20:10 pm »
Hello everyone, my name is Marco Valleggi, I will never sign up to the forum, I have not the time, however, I am a big fan of electronics and technology.
This is my website for fun www.kittsupercar.com
This is my job www.virtualmotion.it

thank you :)
I fooling around with technology

Offline kaldj

« Reply #2063 on: August 13, 2016, 05:28:10 am »
Hi Everyone!!

Just stumbled across the EEVBLOG and Forum while researching oscilloscopes.  I've a small business owner involved in the sales and service of industrial batteries, chargers and related equipment for about 30 years now. 

I just decided I "need" an oscilloscope and got a decent deal on a Tek 2445a so I will be knocking around here trying to learn. 

Thanks for everyone's help in advance!!

Don

Offline Ren

« Reply #2064 on: August 18, 2016, 06:00:47 am »
hiya, i am Ren and I picked up a soldering iron just 2 weeks ago after not benign able to find a suitable game controller on the market, so though I would make my own. Teaching my self electronics with the help of the interwebs, with a goal to make AI robots within a year :)

So, still learning the basics of electronics but loving my teensy (have a programming background).

Offline Nicolas TIK

« Reply #2065 on: August 18, 2016, 01:39:59 pm »
Just graduated... It is practically a good thing, but the real world of engineering is so much boring than it actually sound (I am dead serious)... So I decided create my own mini lab and build my own things as a hobby. Hopefully some day I could use it on my future career. #Peace

Offline kbarnette

• Contributor
« Reply #2066 on: August 20, 2016, 04:45:45 pm »
Hi all,

I'm Kevin, an EE student here in New Mexico, US. I'll probably pursue RF engineering but that's not written in stone (still trying to figure out what's in demand at research and high tech institutions that overlaps with my interest).

Glad to be here. I've been lurking for about a year.

Offline k_sze

• Contributor
« Reply #2067 on: August 21, 2016, 05:47:50 am »
Hi.

My name is Kal. I'm a software developer by training; not low level system programming using C or assembly, but high level stuff using Python.

I'm just starting my foray into electronics. I have some very basic knowledge about electricity:
  • Ohm's law
  • impedance as a complex number
  • capacitance/inductance
  • why 3-phase AC power is awesome

But that's about it. I don't know much about transistors, diodes, etc. I know that a diode has a forward voltage drop, and I *think* that real diodes pretty much don't do anything unless there is enough voltage drop. I don't know the difference between NPN and PNP. I have some faint recollection of using an op-amp at college, with feedback in order to maintain the output voltage level; there's also something about an op-amp trying to have very high resistance on its input and very low resistance on its output. Other than that, I don't know how an op-amp actually works internally. You get the idea of where my level of knowledge is.

Being a complete noob, I also don't have much in terms of equipment and parts. I have an Extech EX330 DMM, and a cheap soldering iron that's frankly too big and unwieldy for electronics. I don't have any oscilloscope, function, or bench power supply yet. In the near future, I'm looking to get these:
  • a BK Precisions 2709B DMM; no Fluke 87V for me yet ;D
  • Probe Master 9104R and 8150 test lead kits;
  • a 220V~240V Hakko FX-888 soldering station (if I can still find a genuine one on AliExpress); or any good alternative; I prefer knob control over the stupid push button control on the FX-888D;
  • a Rigol DS1054z scope;
  • some DIY bench power supply kit, the kinds that David Jones shows in his basic lab setup video; though I haven't been able to find one for which I have no hesitation; the Altronics K3330 would be a no-brainer, I think, but they don't make those anymore;
  • a function/waveform/signal generator; I don't really know what to look for in a function/waveform/signal generator though;

By the way, I live in Hong Kong, and that means two problems:
  • real-estate is a scarce and expensive resource; i.e. I don't have much room at home to set up a permanent lab;
  • it's a heavily consumer oriented society; everything in the street screams at you to just consume, consume, and consume. It's hard to get serious about DIY electronics. I think the only brick-and-mortar shop with a respectable selection of tools and parts is WECL, and they are not even that big; Or I just don't know where to look; some people tell me I should look in Shenzhen or Guangzhou, but I haven't been able to find out exactly where their DIY electronics markets are, and I'm also wary of Chinese counterfeit (stories abound on the Internet);

I speak Cantonese, English, French, and Mandarin.

I'm also an amateur naturalist, with a particular interest in Aculeata (bees, wasps, hornets, ants). One of my first goals is to combine the use of DIY electronics in the study of insects, e.g. a bee hive with humidity and temperature monitoring, and infrared camera inside, all solar powered (because laying mains power to a bee hive on a hill side sounds like A Very Bad Idea®. Eventually I would also like to have enough knowledge to teach my two daughters and make things with them.

All that being said, expect a lot of (stupid) questions from me. Please bear with me.  ;D

Offline buffoon

« Reply #2068 on: August 24, 2016, 11:55:20 pm »
Hi all!

New member here. Got into DIY electronics recently because I wanted to build a generator powered bike light. I had absolutely no clue what I got myself into! I have been obsessively reading about electronics since then. Lots of things to learn at the same time. I love how much free resources are online and Dave’s video are fantastic!

My interests are SMPS, battery management, embedded programming. I knew that my dad taught EE at a university when I was little, but I never knew that he specialized in SMPS until my foray into electronics. Funny how life works.

Offline sunriscen

« Reply #2069 on: August 25, 2016, 12:41:51 am »
Hello guys,

im architect, very interested for your chat and work.You'we done some great things.Best luck in next works and mods.

Offline JustSquareEnough

• Supporter
« Reply #2070 on: August 25, 2016, 04:24:30 pm »
Just saying hello!  My first name is David I'm a software architect by day in  United States, Texas, Houston. In high school I took a basic electronic class and for at least the last 10 years I have had Forrest Mim's book on my shelf.  I finally decided to get off my but and get into this hobby before another 10 years goes by!

I'm mostly interested in digital design with a lean to robotics and home automation. My other hobbies include: woodworking, home theater, model rocketry

first project ideas I have:

simple bench power supply - lm317 or lt3080 based.
logic level clock
discrete level builds of the classic TTL logic gates <- thinking this is a good way to learn transistor operations.
micro based clock with NIST updates
micro based weather station

Offline Sceptre

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2071 on: August 26, 2016, 02:00:11 am »
Hello!  I'm an EE (for 35 years) and electronics hobbyist (for 45+).  Been lurking for about a year, but now need to clear my backlog of repair projects at home.  Besides asking for schematics and tips in the Repair forum, I hope to provide useful advice and information on occasion.  Party on, Garth!

--Sceptre

Offline Bendba

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2072 on: August 26, 2016, 03:02:52 am »
Hi,

Ben here, 26, from Tamworth, Australia. I grew up in Belgium (Europe), fiddled with electronics for the last 15 years.  DesoLdered my first components with a lighter and a bit of 10 gauge copper wire clamped in a pair grip vice. I almost never bought any new component, until last year, I got into Arduino, Pic and Picaxe (I don't particularly like Arduino and Picaxe, they are too slow and limited for my liking, I prefer programming in assembler.) I made circuits and remade them again and again until they worked (that's what you get with desoLdered components.) I started working on bigger projects lately, had to start buying smc's because I burn too many of them when trying to salvage.
All my test gears so far are a multimeter and ... that's it. I'm getting my first oscilloscope this weekend.
I have a fair bit of questions, especially when it comes to digital electronics and I hope I'll find some answers. And maybe I'll even be able to answer some of other's questions.
Stop dreaming your life, start leaving your dreams.

Offline larrybl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2073 on: August 27, 2016, 03:14:52 am »
Larry from Central Texas. I take care of the City of Waco's Public Safety Radio System. Lots of VM machines, 35 different agencies, and over 1800 Radios. My hobby is restoring vintage Garden Tractors. I do try and update them with LED Lights and update drive and steering systems. I own 5 acres and currently mow 3 acres of it.  

Offline ceehoppy1st

« Reply #2074 on: August 27, 2016, 03:22:49 am »
Hello everyone,

I'm an automotive technician for 25+ years- specializing in diagnosing electrical & electronics faults. So I have good electrical background - basic theory, DMM & scope use, etc. While I've always had a desire to "figure out how something works", I never got into component level electronics. Recently I stumbled across the EEVblog, watched most all of Dave's videos and have learned a lot. I hope to keep learning more & more.

ceehoppy1st

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf