Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1497626 times)

Offline tenthirds

Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #1900 on: February 09, 2016, 02:43:46 pm »
Hello! I'm a long-time viewer of the EEVBlog, just now getting into the forums.

I'm an electrical engineer a few years out of school, currently working in the medical device industry.

Technical interests include retro computing, retro video games (stuff pre-1984), Apple collecting (technology, not fruit), and arcade games.

Offline jcwold

« Reply #1901 on: February 10, 2016, 01:33:51 am »
Hello All,
After a long time in IT, I recently began a job as a Test Technician and find myself getting deeper into electronics than any previous job or hobby required. It's a steep learning curve, but I'm digging it.  Naturally my quest for knowledge brings me here where I am mostly lurking and devouring old threads. I'm also into RC flying and Audio and still like to play with computers. I hope to contribute soon, meanwhile I'm stepping up my game and my gear.
-John

Offline Oskar

Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself -Oskar
« Reply #1902 on: February 12, 2016, 12:48:45 am »
Hi,

I'm an old guy.  Mostly a lurker with a non electronics related job.   Enjoy watching eevblog, mikes electric, w2aew videos.  I mess around with audio and micro circuits.  Most familiar with PIC micro but also have a RBP, who doesn't.

Live in the US, east side, bout half way down...

Oskar

Offline Roller Steve

« Reply #1903 on: February 12, 2016, 07:09:55 am »
Hey Y'all,

I'm Roller Steve from Colorado. I love electronics and finally decided to join the forum. When I first saw an EEVblog video, I couldn't stand Dave's voice! It was too high pitched and annoying. So I avoided EEVblog for years (even though I saw mentions on Hackaday and other sites). Lol... But I finally got over that mental block and really enjoy Dave's videos now.

I first got the EE bug when I was in college studying Chemical Engineering. I wasn't excited about the major; the labs were boring. And 90% of ChemE's go into either petroleum or pharmaceuticals, and neither of those industries interested me. At that time (2005) I went to Burning Man and saw so many awesome art installations using LEDs. This was right around when LEDs were starting to become popular, but weren't totally mainstream or a known kitchen word. LEDs totally caught my fascination. I started ordering parts off eBay (I didn't know Digikey existed!) and skipping class to play with circuits. Finally I realized I should switch majors to EE!! I've never regretted it.

Glad to be an active forum member now!

Offline lonetos

« Reply #1904 on: February 12, 2016, 01:02:02 pm »
Hi All,

I am working for a software company, always been interested in the hardware layer in more detail. Now I am in the process of learning electronics. I also like to play around with an old C64... =)

Toshio

Offline luney

• Contributor
« Reply #1905 on: February 13, 2016, 03:36:52 am »
Hello everyone. My name is Jim (luney goes way way back to my very first ever online name from around the early 90's"). I currently work as an HVAC technician in Las Vegas and have been doing that for 22+ years now. However, I have always been interested in electronics. Seriously! Since as young as I can remember, I had a bad, ok maybe it's actually good, habit of tearing things apart to figure out "what makes them do that and how does it do it?") . I have always attempted to repair all of my own electronics devices. A lot of the time I have been successful (mostly simple repairs that involve replacing a component that has obviously failed) but not always. A recent work related injury is most likely going to end with me having to go back for some education so that I can change careers. I figure that since I truly love electronics so much, this would be an awesome avenue to explore as a possibility for a new source of income. I found this forum when searching for reviews of oscilloscopes. It appears to be a pretty awesome place with some intriguing personalities. I hope to be an active member. I tend to be pretty quiet in forums, preferring to watch and learn unless I believe that I can actually make a positive contribution. Since I am truly a noob and do not have a whole ton of diagnostic experience, I will most likely ask alot of questions when I do post. I'm a firm believer in the whole "the only dumb question is the one you do not ask" philosophy. All I ask is that you guys and gals please be gentle and help if you can. I will in turn do the same if I am able.  I absolutely love to learn. Through my whole life, if I did not understand something, I would search every possible source of information to learn all I could about the subject at hand. I was never happy with only learning enough about a subject to solve the current problem. I literally NEEDED to know everything I could find on the subject. When I was a kid I would search my family's sets of encyclopedias. Later I would search libraries. Once I discovered the internet, in the early nineties, researching anything became so much simpler. Anywho, thank you for your time that it took to read this introduction. I hope I didn't waste your time and you learned a bit about me. If anyone has any questions for me, please feel free to ask. Thanks, luney.

Offline Mario_write_Code

• My Blog
« Reply #1906 on: February 15, 2016, 04:42:38 am »
Hello From the USA!

I'm what I would call an advanced hobbyist in electronics. Advanced being that I hold a BS in EET (Electrical Engineering Technology), hobbyist because I have yet to work in that field and instead fix computers. Still I build projects in my spare time to keep somewhat in practice and I enjoy making things. I look forward to all the things I'll learn from this forum as I love to learn and there is always something you don't know.

-Mario

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1907 on: February 17, 2016, 05:42:56 pm »
So I'm already Almost 500 posts in and never got around to doing this! So at this point, it's an introduction and a retrospective on the past year.

I'm a 36 year old American living in Switzerland (7 years now, plus 7 years in my teens, separated by a 10 year return to USA to go to university and whatnot). When I was a little kid, I loved electronics, even though I wasn't really very good at it. Nonetheless, while other kids were outside getting skinned knees playing sports, I'd be immersed in encyclopedias or burning myself with a radio shack firestick while relishing the smell of rosin flux. I still have notebooks from second and third grade of the robots I was gonna build, including layouts of the user interfaces! As I'm sure you all can relate to, I began by taking things apart (but not being able to get them back together, to my parents' chagrin), then taking them apart and getting them back together flawlessly, to being able to take them apart and repair them. I didn't have anyone to mentor me in electronics (my parents and stepparents comprise a language professor, a doctor, a social worker, and an economics journalist), and as a teen, I got into computers so electronics fell by the wayside, also because I spend time on other hobbies (cooking, photography).

Computers became my career, though I always kept a love (and knack) for taking things apart and often fixing them. (I got my bachelor's in business information systems, with a minor in linguistics.) For many years, I was an administrator of what was at the time the largest Mac forum on the Web, and I worked at a number of Apple authorized dealers, independent Mac support providers (knowing how to repair laser printers was a valued skill), as well as two Apple Stores, over the years. When it comes to computing devices, i'm definitely an Apple guy, but my technical knowledge of them goes far, far, far deeper than the typical pro user.

In 2009 I moved back to Switzerland (to get a European passport while I still had the chance), and began working at a software company, first in technical translation and technical writing, then in bilingual customer and tech support and product testing, and ultimately contributing to product design as well, since my deep technical knowledge combined with usability training proved very valuable to the engineering team. I then worked at an agency that specializes in usability and website design (my last title was UX architect).

But In the end, those few years of desk work caught up with me, with repetitive strain injury in my hand and shoulder (and a pinched nerve in my neck) pretty much rendering me incapable of working in my profession. (I could do technical writing with dictation software, but graphic design software is designed for a mouse, and no alternative input device works well enough.) When my last job ended, I decided not to look for work right away, but instead to take time off to focus on the health issues.

With the free time to do it, and the need to find something to keep me busy that isn't at the computer exacerbating the hand problems, stumbling upon eevblog was a happy coincidence. It really rekindled my interest in electronics, and I've learned more in the past year than in all the time before! (And learning both how much I still have yet to learn, plus all the things I have to unlearn because I understood them wrong as a kid.) After investing a fortune in ergonomics gear for my home office, I decided to also invest in my mental well being by spending some money on a basic electronics lab (things I should have gotten as a kid, had I known how much they accelerated my learning), including new meters, a scope, bench PSUs, a real soldering station, breadboards, and basic components. (And yes, Arduino too, though I need to be careful because of the RSI.) I'm working my way through the basics now, with very typical audio and LED control projects at the moment. :)

And as a funny aside, the mom and pop electronics shop that I used to use as a teenager (for what little electronics I did then) still exists, and I now live a <5 minute walk from it!

I've even given thought to going back to school and studying EE or something, though I have concerns that since all the design is done in CAD these days, I'd be condemning myself to another desk job that makes the RSI flare up.  :-// Not entirely sure what my next career will be, but whatever it is, it won't - no, can't - be a desk job.

Anyway I think I've rambled on far too much! Thanks to everyone here for the support and engaging conversation I've gotten so far! Feel free to drop me a line (in English or German) anytime!

Antonio

Offline strangersound

• Regular Contributor
  • Resistance Is Not Futile
« Reply #1908 on: February 17, 2016, 06:46:49 pm »
Hi, blokes!

Strangersound is my handle, Jason is my name. Been online for almost a couple of decades. Got my start in the original social media, which was of course, forums. Yay!

I'm a generalist type. Jack of all trades, master of a couple. Always looking to learn new things!
I've always been a tinkerer since I was a kid. Got my first real dose of a/c when I was doing a teardown of my clock radio when I was about 10 years old...with it still plugged in.  :box:
I like to learn stuff the hard way. Music is my main thing and I've had project studios of various sizes over the years. I primarily play guitar and drums, but I can get around on just about any instrument...enough to fake it. I've been into recording and sound engineering for a long time. I've run live sound a couple of times. I've got some friends that work in radio and have had some behind the scenes insights there, as well. I get into all things audio. I've also gotten into doing some video stuff, but nothing too serious. ;)

My main electronics experience is in the music areas. I also did a tour in the US Army as a 31V (Radio mech), so I did get some basic knowledge there. I also have a couple of years experience doing residential electric, and some hvac.

I also have a thing for computers, the net, etc. Been the go to guy for friends and family needing PC repairs, etc. Been battling Windows for years. ;)

I'm into all sorts of other stuff, but most of that is outside the scope of this forum. Thanks for having me, Dave! I stumbled on EEVblog on YouTube and have been a rabid fan ever since!  :-+
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 05:12:48 am by strangersound »
"I learned a long time ago that reality was much weirder than anyone's imagination." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline ajm8127

• Contributor
« Reply #1909 on: February 18, 2016, 02:58:44 am »
Hi, my name is Tony.  I am from the US. My day job is RF engineer with a wireless telecommunications company. Where I work "engineer" is a loose term which means someone who understands telecommunications systems conceptually. There is a decent amount of thinking involved and there is tons of job security so it satisfies the goal of building a retirement fund while keeping me interested. I work to live so I can live without working (at least for someone else - I'll always be busy).

My real interests lie in electronics engineering and embedded design. I moonlight as an electronics design engineer and am working on my first ARM project using CMSIS and GCC.

I enjoy the serenity of the outdoors and working with my hands.

I recently learned what bobby-dazzler means. I am still trying to figure out what is so great about duck's guts. As an American, I prefer meat.

Nikola Tesla is my hero because he was a brilliant man who didn't really give a damn about money and followed his heart. Not very practical, but he was driven by passion. His genius changed society but his eccentricity was both his greatest asset and a liability. Maybe it is just that he was ahead of his time.
-Tony

Offline Sevalecan

« Reply #1910 on: February 18, 2016, 04:37:00 am »
I don't think I've introduced myself yet, so I figured I would before I make my next post in the beginner's section.

I'm a 27 year-old EE student in Saginaw Michigan. I've been fascinated by machines of every type since I was a child and I now enjoy working on my own vehicle which I learned from my dad, tinkering around with electronics and trying to repair them, as well as undergoing flight instruction to become a private pilot. I also taught myself to program computers when I was 11 and opted as EE for my major over CS so that I could learn something new.

There isn't a single area of EE that interests me necessarily much more than the others, rather I'm interested in all of them. I'm hoping to gain some practical skills here for some of the new material I'm learning in class, but which I don't think they're going to show me any practical implementations of.

I tend to focus on the subjects I find more challenging, which is why I'm an EE major and not CS or ME. That'll probably also be the focus of my posts to begin with as I'm interested in figuring out how to learn the things that I think school may not teach me.
I do have a tendency to focus on the subjects which I find more challenging, which is again the reason why I'm not a CS or ME major.

Offline broz

• Regular Contributor
  • Pronounced like the "bros." in "Super Mario bros."
    • My Wordpress Page
« Reply #1911 on: February 18, 2016, 04:55:09 pm »
Hey everyone!

I'm Jared from Canada (as you probably assumed from the flag on the left), 29 years old and in my third year of EE. Looking to make electronics my career once I graduate; so, like most of you, here to learn and converse with like-minded people.
Slowly but surely making my way through EE school

Offline Abbas

• Contributor
    • Project Electronics
« Reply #1912 on: February 19, 2016, 03:29:18 pm »
Hi, I'm Abbas from Philippines!  :-X
Currently studying Electronics Engineering (4th year)
Well I have been in Electronics since I was a kid and pretty much have knowledge about most of things. I joined here because of Dave's informative and fun blog and alao because of my unstoppable curiosity  ;D 8)

Offline Stori

• Contributor
« Reply #1913 on: February 19, 2016, 05:09:41 pm »
Hello everybody :-)

I am an ICT student from Germany
The eevblog is one of my favorite youtube channels
I am more the computer/software guy but I am intersted in electronics too. I did a few small electronic projects and repaired a lot of electronic stuff but I still have to learn a lot about electronics.
My "lab" is a bit lame but I buy new tools now and then when I need them.
One time I read an article written by a guy who reverse engineered alpines m-bus protocol. He did this project back in the 90s, there were no arduinos and raspberry pi back then, he had to put all the parts and the microcontroller together himself (for the communication with the cd-changer and radio). He knew nothing that protocol, so he had to use his oscilloscope to analyze all the signals.
From then on I just had to learn more about electronics in general because I was so fascinated about the whole process and everything.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 05:17:12 pm by Stori »
(-:

Offline joopterwijn

• DIY the way to go
« Reply #1914 on: February 19, 2016, 09:49:43 pm »
Hello my name,... well look at my forum name ;-)  I like clarity, so; Joop Terwijn is my name. I live in the Netherlands Europa. And no it is not Holland, that's only a small part of the country. I played around with electronics in my teens and operated a ham radio and same slightly illegal stuff :-). Then other priority kicked in and it all went to the background. Now I slowly am gathering equipment to restart again. Like the eevblog for it no nonsense approach. Love YouTube and take in as mutch of information as possible.
Some day it will be …

Offline LHelge

• Contributor
    • My project blog
« Reply #1915 on: February 22, 2016, 01:29:42 pm »
Hi,

I'm LHelge, long time forum lurker, YouTube subscriber since 2009 but just recently joined the forum. Embedded systems engineer from Sweden with M. Sc degree in Mechatronics and Control Theory. Been an electronics hobbyist for ~10 years and since I moved to a house a few years back I've started building a lab in my garage. Most projects I do at home is in some way related to electric vehicles (mostly bikes) or drones.
My Project Blog
http://www.lhelge.se

Offline Ronineter

« Reply #1916 on: February 23, 2016, 10:16:11 am »
Hi, Im Ronald from the Netherlands.(Not Holland But Noord-Brabant)

Currently Im studying Embedded Electronics in Eindhoven and already finished a Study as a Engineering Technician mechatronics In Tilburg.
I've started playing around with electronics around the time I finished Elementary school because my father usually repairs some electronic devices for friend and i Did find that very interesting.

Now I've build up quite some collection of electronic parts and did some small projects with PIC Micros, Arduino's and other projects for personal advancements.
Now im planning to build some sort of control system that could fit in a 1/35 Tank model to combine with my other hobby building Tank models. I've also build a 3D printer like a Prusa Mendel I2 to make casings for projects and parts for the a for mentioned RC tanks since the models I've got are some old motorized kits without turret drives.(And Ofcother things then only that.)

And OFc thanks Dave for all the great Tutorials on YouTube. These helped me a lot to get trough Analog Design last semester

Offline Willy

« Reply #1917 on: February 26, 2016, 08:50:17 pm »
Hi.
I Live in Denmark, and don't like to write post just to write ... this one is an exception ;P

Offline jambrose

• Supporter
« Reply #1918 on: February 26, 2016, 10:07:01 pm »
Hi all,

I'm Josh. Long time lurker but hadn't officially joined the forum until recently. I'm a huge fan of Dave and his unique and entertaining way of doing videos.

My background is that i'm finishing up my last couple classes for a BS in Marine Science in the lovely Monterey area of California. I've always loved tinkering and learning how things work so it wasn't surprising that I got into electronics in college. Sadly, the college only has 1 electronics class (there aren't any engineering majors here). However, I work in a lab on campus where I've had the chance to, among other things, design and build an ROV (remotely operated vehicle) with another student and our advisor. I did most of the electronics work (choosing parts, laying out PCBs, etc.) which was a great learning experience. I do hope to start work on a second BS in EE in the near future after I've finished my current one.

Offline willm

« Reply #1919 on: March 01, 2016, 03:34:33 am »

I'm a longtime lurker (learner) trying to make the transition between using black box instruments and making my own. My day job is as a geologist: a lab geologist, but I have friends who get outside...

Bill (Canada)

Offline SimonWasAnEngineer

• Contributor
« Reply #1920 on: March 01, 2016, 08:11:56 am »
Hi all!

I´m Simon, 26 years old from Germany.

I started my "electronic career" in 2006 with an apprenticeship as electrician for devices and systems
("Elektroniker für Geräte und Systeme" in German, I don’t know if the translation is suitable :-//)
Main task were soldering and testing PCBs (SMD soldering by hand and with pick and place).

After that I worked several years in the maintenance department, fixing the modules the company produces all over the world.
Traveled to many interesting countries, but I didn´t wanted to do this until retirement, so I went back to school for a 2 year further education training. Now I am a state certified engineer (staatlich geprüfter Techniker")
But my "thirst for knowledge" still wasn’t satisfied :D So I started a "co-op education" (work 3 month - study 3 month - and so on) and will hopefully finish my Bachelor od Engineering in 2018 :D

I´m in this for quite a while and want to start participating now :D
Sorry if my English is not the best, it’s been a while since I had to write in English.

cheers
Simon

Offline tjeulink

• Contributor
« Reply #1921 on: March 01, 2016, 09:05:26 am »
hello everyone, im tjeulnk. from the netherlands. im quite young and quite poor. thats about all you guys need to know ;)
scrap that, i'm talking crap again.

Offline Keridos

« Reply #1922 on: March 01, 2016, 11:31:31 am »
Hiho, Nicholas from germany here, currently studying physics but switching over to Computer Science soon. I am doing smaller electronics projects since quite some time, but never got around to the bigger stuff, mainly because the equipment needed is kind of expensive. Been following EEVBlog on Youtube for a long time now (several years I think) but only recently got around to actually register myself here. Been active sometimes in the comments on youtube, but not that often.
Best regards

Offline julius oe.

• Contributor
« Reply #1923 on: March 01, 2016, 12:00:50 pm »
Hi everyone !

I'm Julius. I live in Berlin (Germany) and studied EE,Audio E. and currently Physics. I do a lot of projects and thanks to the EEVB they get easier every time. :-+

Offline fantis1337

• Contributor
« Reply #1924 on: March 01, 2016, 01:13:52 pm »
Guess I have to post here. Hi, My name is Aleksandar and I'm a 25 year old from Iceland. I'm an electrician and I'm studying Mechatronics engineering in Iceland. As you can imagine I take interest in almost any technology and especially if it involves energy production.

I could call myself an inventor as I always look at things and argue how it could be better or how we would be better off without it. 

I'll leave you with a quote for the few of you who actually read these. "If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole." - Raylan Givens
If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole.
If you run into assholes all day, you’re the asshole.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf