Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1485764 times)

Offline zsimo

Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #1325 on: December 04, 2013, 10:29:10 pm »
Hello guys I am Simo and I am just signed up! He he this is my first post and .. I am a student of electronics and telecommunication engineering and sometimes I have fun with MCUs and analog circuits.

So ... I noticed a EEVlog's video on YouTube (I have to watch them all), and I jumped over here.

See you on board! :)

Offline bandgap

• Contributor
  • .: no electrons here :.
    • Bandgap.net
« Reply #1326 on: December 06, 2013, 02:27:21 am »
Hi all,

I've been posting some during the last few weeks (mostly in the test gear forum), so I thought I should properly post in this "introduce yourself" thread before I am no longer a new member!  :)

I am located in central North Carolina (Greensboro/Winston-Salem area), but I'm originally from Arkansas. I have a BS and MS in Electrical Engineering and a PhD in Microelectronics-Photonics. Up until this past summer, I was an engineering manager at RF Micro Devices (RFMD) where I managed our Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE) engineering group. We mostly made GaAs based heterojunction bipolar transistors (HBTs) and pseudomorphic high electron mobility transistors (pHEMTs). These were commonly used as power amps (in the case of HBTs) and switches (in the case of PHEMTs) in cell phones, although some of these also went into WiFi devices as well.

Dave highlights one of our chips (the RF7161 transmit module) in the teardown video of this cheap LG cell phone:     The semiconductor layers that form the HBTs and pHEMTs in this chip were made by my group - possibly even by me depending on when it was made. (I was a Sr. Engineer for a few years before I was promoted to manager.)

After 9 years, I decided to resign from that position and pursue my passion of teaching electrical engineering. This semester I've been teaching Physics at a local community college, but I was recently hired as the lead electronics engineering instructor at another local community college. I start that position in January, and I couldn't be more excited.

I've really been enjoying the EEVblog and forum! Lots of good info and people here, and I'm happy to be able to participate.

-Clayton

Offline SR-71

« Reply #1327 on: December 08, 2013, 11:21:00 pm »
Greetings fellow EEVBloggers,

My name is Paul and I live in the US. I have been watching the EEVBlog since about episode 50, but this is my first time on the forum. I am a professional design engineer with currently 8 years of industry experience. My specialty is in mixed-signal integrated circuits design, but I do everything from mechanical CAD, discrete circuit design (using COTS on PCBs), microcontrollers, FPGAs, software, the whole gamut.

I have finally saved up enough money to build my own home lab which I am attaching to this post. It's taken a year to get to this stage and I did all of the room renovations myself (previously it was an unfinished basement). As you can see I am channeling Dave on some of this and if you look closely you can see my uCurrent.

I recently acquired the Keithley model 225, 260, and 261 on eBay and have done some teardowns. I will have to post photos at some point, I am actually trying to do a cosmetic restoration and general maintenance as well (for example the power cord and fuse receptacles are a little crufty).

Cheers,
Paul

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #1328 on: December 09, 2013, 10:36:57 pm »
Hi,

I'm Dale from the UK.

I have worked in Electronics/IT since leaving school, have worked for some large companies as an Electronics Engineer such as Panasonic, Mitel, LG Electronics in their factories, have also worked as a field service engineer for Video Games, Jukeboxes etc, then worked as a field service engineer on all brands of analogue and digital photocopiers, then ended up working for Hewlett Packard for a few years as a Pre Sales Technical consultant but theory bored me. I left there due to sickness. I did have my own business as an Autoelectrician but that is another hobby now due to illness at the moment.

I also love flashing chips, hex editing and unix based OS's

Electronics has been my hobby since a young child, really love it. Not sure whether it's the satisfaction of building something or problem solving but find it very therapeutic (Though my other half does not understand why :-DD )

Actually reading the above makes me wonder how I have a woman ha!

Offline abbotsmike

• Contributor
« Reply #1329 on: December 10, 2013, 02:25:52 am »
Hi all,

I'm Mike, currently a final year Electronic and Electrical Engineering student. Spent last year on placement where I was predominantly involved in design, repair and diagnosis of large (up to 32kw) square wave output power supplies. I like playing with electronics, power electronics being my preferred area!

I also like fiddling with computers (typing this on my overclocked, home built desktop tower!) Playing with car, cycling and rock climbing, not here for any specific purpose, just like to chat! I'm also gradually building up a decent toolkit, so may ask for advice or jump in on threads about tools!

Mike

Offline hippydream

« Reply #1330 on: December 13, 2013, 09:27:57 am »
Hi folks,
I'm Fabrizio from Italy and after spending quite some time watching that Crazy Aussie Bloke's brilliant videos and reading lots of interesting posts, I thought I should... well, say "hi".

I'm not an electronics engineer but a software developer and I still have plenty of things to learn, so I doubt I will have much to contribute until then.
I love taking things apart, trying to understand and maybe fix them. I guess I took the maker-gene from my father, he loved doing that as well.

Anyway, greetings from Italy to all you EEVbloggers.. this really looks like a great place to learn things and to share your thoughts.

Cheers,
Fabrizio

Offline Derick Freese

• Contributor
« Reply #1331 on: December 15, 2013, 06:09:57 am »
Hello guys, I'm new here.

I've had an interest in electronics since I was a teenager.  Since finding the EEVBlog, I've taken a much deeper look into designing, building, and repairing electronics.  Dave's videos have helped make things "click" in my head, and sent me deeper into the rabbit hole.

Most of my time here will be spent lurking, as most of the questions I've had have been answered either here or elsewhere on the good o'le interwebs.

Good to meet you guys!

-Derick

Offline kmiller8

« Reply #1332 on: December 17, 2013, 03:57:53 pm »
Sup, I'm Kirk I like keyboards, I'm an Senior in Electrical Engineering and I"m starting to work on a bunch of personal projects and I figured you guys are the best place to come hang out when I try to work out some of my crazy ideas.

I'm mostly active on geekhack.org (keyboard forum) but you guys seem interesting enough to hang out with.

Offline Noah1989

« Reply #1333 on: December 19, 2013, 12:46:32 am »
Hi,

I'm Stefan from Germany. I work as software developer and am currently studying electronics engineering. I am also developing an 8-bit microcomputer kit. Definitely a mailbag item as soon as I get a final prototype ready ;-)

Offline roli

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1334 on: December 19, 2013, 08:28:53 pm »
Hi everyone!
I am Andrej from Slovenia. I am currently studying computer science (my last year). I really like embedded systems and electronics design and I am actually thinking about my future a bit. I am thinking about getting a masters degree in electronics after I get my bachelors degree. I have a few months to decide if I should continue more in the computing direction or switch to electronics and this forum looks like a neat place to help me decide.

Offline Seán

• Contributor
« Reply #1335 on: December 20, 2013, 09:19:14 am »
Hello all,

I signed up here ages ago, but have never really posted, so I just thought I would introduce myself again.

My name is Seán, and I live in Ireland ...I have been working an an electronics design engineer for about a year and a half now. I am hoping to get better at analogue design, so hopefully I can pick up some information here, as well as maybe give some information too.

I am also back doing another electronics degree (part time of course) in a hope of filling in some gaps in my knowledge.

Thanks.
Seán
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 09:22:01 am by Seán »

Offline taiteki

• Contributor
« Reply #1336 on: December 21, 2013, 10:27:49 pm »
Hey!

My name is Francisco and i live in Seville, Spain

I'm engineering technician of Spain.

i really enjoy electronics. i was a collaborator in the www.conket.com, old web on pic and electronic projects.

:-+

Offline bji900

• Contributor
« Reply #1337 on: December 22, 2013, 05:21:47 am »
Hi All,

I'm Byron,

I am an electrical engineer. I just graduated from Western Michigan University. I was a member of the solar car team at WMU. Www.wmich.edu/sunseeker  I enjoy working on random electronics projects.

Nice to meet you all.

Byron

Offline underwurlde

« Reply #1338 on: December 23, 2013, 07:10:29 pm »
hello,

My name is Andy.

30+ years electronics engineer. Here to learn and maybe offer 2p's worth...

Anyway, hello everyone  :-DMM

A
...always look on the bright side of death...

Offline bastouw

« Reply #1339 on: December 23, 2013, 10:19:18 pm »
Hello, I am Bas from the Netherlands.

I started when i was 9 and later I graduated as electronics engeneer.
I worked for a small company and have been a designer for 15 years, 8 year as RF designer and 7 years  designing fish-bite-indicators with micro's.
I did the whole 9 yards, making the cirquit, breadboard, schematics, uC code, pcb layout, 0-series, production setup, quality control.
The next 14 years i worked as an IT systems engeneer. I kept updating electronics in the mean time.
My big love is electronics, so i want back in the electronics industry, but combine the 2 periods preferably.

Greetings Bas.

Offline Kjetil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1340 on: December 26, 2013, 10:39:58 am »
Hi, I'm Kjetil from Norway

I signed up a while ago, but didn't see this thread, so here I am.
I'm a 2nd year student of mechanical design and engineering (B. Sc) from Norway, with a few years of practical experience in mechanical work and design, as well as a few years as a programmer and IT-support worker. I am currently the president of the electronics club at my college.
Electronics has always been a hobby of mine, and I've always enjoyed taking things apart and putting them together to see if they still work. Nowadays I mainly play with motors, Arduinos and 3d-printing.
I also love vintage/old stuff as some of you may have seen in the mailbag with the teletype.

/Kjetil
Scout leader and HAM radio operator

Offline blackice504

• Contributor
    • Storm Cell Systems
« Reply #1341 on: December 27, 2013, 03:32:10 pm »
Hello all,

I been watching David on youtube for sometime now and thought what the hell I will join up.

I am based in Sydney run a small computer company, I design custom computer systems as well as have some computer packages "I really need to update them on my site"  :-DD but most of my business is phoned in.

My hobbies are well you guessed it Computers, Electronics, Amateur Science, DIY, there is nothing like telling people yeah I made that.
Anyway see you all on the site.

Offline Isad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1342 on: December 28, 2013, 07:48:06 pm »
Hi from Albania.I am currently studying in a Electrical & Computing System Engineering 1 year
Lifes to Short Make the Most of It

My youtube channel: http://goo.gl/yMdPzQ

Offline IBUILDCOOLSTUFF

« Reply #1343 on: December 29, 2013, 11:31:20 pm »
My name is Daniel. I am an electrical engineering student at McNeese State University. I really enjoy studying about electronics and am eager to go beyond circuit analysis and enter the realm of designing/building awesome and practical things. My latest project is a dual resonance solid state Tesla Coil.

Offline hiddensoul

• Regular Contributor
  • I hack with the battery in..
    • The ham Shack
« Reply #1344 on: December 31, 2013, 12:34:15 am »
Well I guess I should introduce myself as i have been posting for a week or so now. I am a 41yo from Country Victoria in a little town called Drouin in Gippsland. I have been letting the magic smoke out since I was about 8 or 9yo and just recently passed my Ham licence (Standard) didn't do to bad 90% on theory and 80%on regulations.

Self proclaimed hacker and geek and a little bit twisted, I don't work any more as I had a major motorbike accident (Yes i still ride) and cant work full time :-\ so it means I get more time to play in the shack but also means I have less money to spend on toys as the government pension isn't that great...

Love the EEVblog videos and forum and when I have the money in a few weeks will become a subscriber

Thanks Dave for all your hard work
Mark "Pockets" Clohesy
I hack with the battery in..
http://hamshack.org
VK3PKT

Offline vsboost

• Contributor
« Reply #1345 on: January 01, 2014, 09:02:09 am »
Hi guys,

New here just wanted to say hello and i really enjoy watching Dave's videos.

Keep up the awesome work  :-+

Offline RazSlack

• Contributor
« Reply #1346 on: January 02, 2014, 03:37:42 pm »
Hello there, EEVblog community!

I am to be known as RazSlack, a Hungarian hobbyist electronics designer studying the field of electronics (not in university yet, but soon hopefully). I have wanted to register on this forum for a long time after checking out Dave's videos, considering how I have a lot of stuff to ask, and some other things to contribute to the community.

Talking about contribution, in my school, we use the outdated Protel for Windows design suite, as well as Sprint-Layout 6 for board design, and TINA for simulation. I have used both board design programs, and in my humblest of opinions, Sprint-Layout is not suited for high level board designing, yet most people use it "because you don't have to use menus". <- that's what I call a click-click application. Also, Protel for Windows is a largely forgotten design suite, that is basically the predecessor of 99SE as well as Altium DXP, and I think it really has everything that a hobbyist, or a professional might need, with a very intuitive hotkey system that makes handling it really easy. Although I myself use gEDA at the moment, I keep switching programs on a regular basis to try most of them out, since I don't wish to fall into the fanboyism that many of my other classmates seem to have.

Anyway, I don't know if it fits into the warez category or not, but I happen to have the installer for the Protel for Windows PCB designer (version 1.5), that is nearly unobtainable nowadays, so if anyone wants to give it a try, I might upload it, given that I have a moderator's permissions for it, of course.

In my carrier, I've been using Protel, DXP, 99SE, Sprint-Layout, and gEDA for making several boards, although most of these are just single-sided DIY boards for various testing circuits for my school.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 03:44:44 pm by RazSlack »

Offline KarolNi

« Reply #1347 on: January 02, 2014, 10:16:34 pm »
Hi everybody!
I'm aerospace engineering student from Poland. Electronics was my hobby since small kid. I prefer it as hobby, some kind of art, not science so I choose different profession for me. I'm watching EEVblog since about #370.

Karol

Offline Vincent

• Regular Contributor
  • May or may not be a Tektronix fanboy
    • The Vince Electric Laboratory
« Reply #1348 on: January 04, 2014, 12:51:22 am »
My name is Vincent (or just Vince LOL). I'm currrently attending a technical secondary school program to become a truck technician. I did another similar program in electricity a little before but I've been disappointed by the career itself. I still like it as a hobby though!

As far as academic knowledge is concerned, I have basic knowledge in electronics, mostly basic calculations with passive components and a few more advanced ones like amp-ops, but no advanced design here xD. Obviously I also have a good understanding of electricity as a whole  ;D

I have a good variety of other hobbies too, and some of them tend to change over time. I used to make videos on YouTube, though I still have a YouTube channel, I just don't post videos on a regular basis anymore.

Offline RichXKU

« Reply #1349 on: January 04, 2014, 03:36:13 am »
I don't remember how I found EEVBlog on YouTube, but the first video was the HandiFax 1000 teardown. I've never heard the word 'bodge' so many times, and have been hooked ever since.
I'm also part of the rare group who owns both types of EEVBlog rulers: with and without the alignment hole (whoa!).
As for work, I optimize the cellular network at one of the big US carriers, and am also a Tech Ham Radio operator, so there's lots of RF around here.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf