Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1497638 times)

Offline MauriceS

• Contributor
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #1275 on: October 19, 2013, 04:45:17 am »
Hi,

I'm originally from The Netherlands (not the Province Holland ;-) who lived in a few countries, and now in Colorado, US. I have had an affinity for electronics since very young, and mainly digital at that stage. It was just easier... My career however turned me more to Software/Firmware engineering. I recently rediscovered my love for Electronics and am learning more about analog stuff now too... Not soo hard once you understand the math ;-)

I like Dave's funny way of explaining stuff...  Never to old to learn...

Offline makerimages

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1276 on: October 20, 2013, 10:50:04 am »
Hello from Estonia!

I`m a self-taught young (15yrs, 16 in a few weeks) electronics and IT enthusiast. Having a hobby like this is rather expensive around here, that is mainly the reason why I dont have anything to show yet, however I do have quite a bit of ideas, will hopefully get an arduino soon, thinking about maybe doing some Z80 experiments aswell.

Accidentally stumbelled onto daves blog maybe like  a year ago or so, Like the way he does it. Very informative. He deserves a Nobel prize for sure!

Offline peteroakes

• Contributor
    • The Breadboard
« Reply #1277 on: October 20, 2013, 11:00:31 pm »
Hi there, I am Peter, I am an electronics engineer by trade but have spent many years on the software (Dark) side of things, a couple years ago I resurrected my passion for electronics and discovered Arduino's and other microcontrollers, now spend most of my spare time building up new gadgets, light controllers, temperature modules all round the house and anything else that sparks my interest, for full disclosure, I am way beyond being a student (In years , not skills) but enjoy sharing and learning new things, discovered Dave's blog last year and have been looking forward to new blogs since. Very informative, very funny and inspiring

Oh to keep with the flow, I have lived in Canada for the last 20 years but am originally from the UK, I miss those car boot sales and radio rallies....memories :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 11:04:49 pm by peteroakes »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #1278 on: October 21, 2013, 12:20:55 am »
The name here is Tom, I am a field service technician working remotely.  I have a combination home office, work bench and ham radio shack.  I have a BS in Business Management from back in 1978 and an AS in EET from ITT Technical Institute in 1999.  I got away from electronics, doing field work repairing computers, various printer types and doing a little networking thrown in for good measure.  I have gotten the bug for electronics again and I want to start relearning all I forgot and add to that knowledge.  I definitely have a "poor man's" workbench.  I have the following:
TEK 2235 100 MHz analog scope
BK Precision 5100 100 MHz combiscope
Fluke 1952A counter/timer
Heathkit IG-72 Audio Generator with a bad meter
Protek B8055 function generator
Protek B-845 DMM
Leader LDC 823A counter connected to-
Leader LG-1301 function generator
Fluke 8840A DMM
Velleman handheld DMM
Craftsman branded Dremel and the drill press to go with it for drill through hole on PCBs
Hakko 936 for soldering those through hole components
Lots of hand tools-especially screwdrivers (just like you, Dave!)

Everything except the Craftsman setup, the Velleman and the Hakko was bought used for little money and I sold some old computers and servers to fund a good part of the purchases.  Also sold a Tek OS-245 P/U militarized scope that was too big for the area but had a dual vertical amplifier and a single vertical amplifier along with the time base to make it a 3 channel scope.

I am working on power supplies.  I have a small 5VDC 1A dual output power supply I put together from stuff I had around and I have a Elenco XP-720K on the way that I will be building and doing some upgrading to including 10 turn pots, some safety measures and a volt meter.  After that, I plan to save up for a Korad dual output power supply.  After the Elenco is built and I do some upgrading to the work space itself, I will post pictures in the proper thread for showing off.

For those who may be interested, my callsign is NW0LF and I have a Kenwood TS-850 HF radio, an ICOM 706 as a backup.  I also have a Kenwood 2 meter radio at my desk space so I can monitor the local repeaters while working.  I have a home made 40 OCF dipole, a Cushcraft R5 vertical and Diamond 2 meter vertical.  I can't forget to mention the obligatory 2 meter radio/antenna in the car with appropriate amateur radio license plate with my call sign on it  :D.  Interestingly, my furthest contact is a confirmed contact with a Ham in New Zealand.  Right in Dave'w neck of the world, so to speak.

I love Dave's blogs and the forum threads.  Some threads of memory are actually starting to resurface!  I will continue to lurk on the forums, ask questions and ask for help when needed and add comments when I can.  See you all down the EEVBlog!
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline burbeck

« Reply #1279 on: October 22, 2013, 12:00:42 am »
hi all
electronics tech from england.
saw some of the utube stuff, like your style Dave
regards
bob

Offline automaster209

« Reply #1280 on: October 22, 2013, 08:48:58 pm »
I would like to say hello to everyone.  My name is Loren.  I happened to stumble across EEVlog on Youtube.  Dave has become a major 'instigator', or I mean inspirational in moving me forward in eletronics.  I have been an automotive technician for over 25 years and was excellent as a drivability technician with excellent computer diagnostics on automobiles. Thanks to Dave's videos I have invested in a couple of analog scopes and signal generator for a vehicle cheap price and I am starting to play around.  I would like to say "Thank you Dave.".  I find your videos awesome.

Offline idolstar

« Reply #1281 on: October 22, 2013, 09:53:55 pm »
Hi Everyone,

My name is Chris, I'm an ex-physics professor turned programmer. Two years ago a friend of mine said, "Have you ever used an Arduino?" Which led to a fair amount of blinking LEDs. I had a tendency to mess up components in my college circuits class, so I tended to stay away from electronics, but now I seem to be better at not destroying everything I tough, which makes it much more fun. I live in central California right now.

Chris

Offline tocsa120ls

• Regular Contributor
  • Electronic hobbyist living in Stuttgart
« Reply #1282 on: October 24, 2013, 10:32:33 am »
 :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Oh bother. I'm really sorry guys, I forgot to introduce myself first. I foolishly created a topic for my recent adventure, and completely forgot to do an introduction there. Hope I don't come over as a dolt. Anyways. Let my 7th post be my first one.

Hi there fellow carbon-based lifeforms. I'm a 32yo Systems Architect working in Budapest, Hungary. I work for a large Telecommunications company; I'm a holder (and user, if I might add) of an IBM Websphere, a VMWare vSphere 5, and also a Red Hat Admin certificate. At this job I manage, analyse, and troubleshoot our customers' various environments, and also do system design when I'm asked. I'm able to give multiple solutions to a problem, detailing the pros and cons of each solution.

In my spare time you'd most likely to find me next to cars, as I'm doing fault diagnosis and repair. Most recent was a hard-starting Renault Twingo, which turned out to be a disconnected camshaft position sensor. Hey, they can't always be "random communications fault on the CAN gateway", or my best yet, "the car won't idle unless the passenger door is open" < now that _was_ fun.

I'm hard pressed to qualify electronics as my other hobby, as cars nowadays are so tightly intervowen with various sensors, actuators and solenoids, that the good old days of 'gapping a plug' seem far away now - when a car rolls in with a problem, the first tool I take out is the OBD2 reader; plus, the last project I created was a power window regulator for my brother. Yeah, you won't find an old Opel Kadett with fully automatic windows elsewhere in Hungary. Now that I think of it, a 27yo car, which has a strong tendency to expose its raw metal to sunlight... may slowly be one of a few around these parts.

I have the ability to do a product from the ground up, like designing a circuit, building it on a bench, do troubleshooting/minimalisation, then design a PCB, make that PCB, populate it, and boom: ready to go. When I have to I mainly use Atmel uCs for my project, for the simple reason that those were the first I laid my hands on, I have no preference, I had to do some Microchip PICs in the past, so I'm good with them too. I can program in C, can debug lots of other languages :) I also speak German (have to, all my colleagues are working in Munich).

ps. I'm much more worse IRL, I can talk until you fall asleep. Thanks for reading through.
ps2. Oh. My daily driver is a black Volvo 960, the last of the big RWD boxes. Gets fewer MPGs than a 737 but I love it.
-------
Short circuit - long fire

Offline dyazdani

« Reply #1283 on: October 26, 2013, 04:05:15 pm »
I live in New York and only dabble in electronics (Chemical background), but repair audio equipment, work on cars, etc.  I bought my first Arduino the other day so I've been browsing various forums.

Offline Elelctronix Hive

« Reply #1284 on: October 28, 2013, 03:52:01 am »
Hi my name is barrie, i have been interested in electronics and alternative energy sources for the last 2 years.
After a while of playing around with what some might call unconventional field of study and with no experience in the conventional i decided to start learning the mainstream side of things, EEVBLOG...videos are just amazing for all levels of electro fun :P  and serious people

Mk2 Bedini SSG (With Oscilloscope)

I am super stoked to be part of this forum....
everything is order and disorder, light and dark, hot and cold, positive and negative,nothing more that a difference in potential

Offline davelectronic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Life's too short.
« Reply #1285 on: October 28, 2013, 10:33:45 pm »
Like to say hello to the community  from the UK south east coastal town of Ramsgate in Kent.

Very pleased to have found the EEVBlog forum, i watch all Dave's Blogs and projects i'm addicted they are best on the internet.

See you all on the boards from me a mad keen hobbyists.  ;D

Offline Whuffo

• Regular Contributor
  • An American Living In Paradise
« Reply #1286 on: October 29, 2013, 02:19:02 pm »
Hi, I'm Michael

I'm an American, but now live in the Philippines. I retired early, and have a long and interesting career behind me. I worked my way through college as a technician, then teched some more while building a reputation. I did design work for many clients; for various contractural and legal reasons I can't give a lot of detail. My life as a design engineer in the '70s was "get hired - big office, two secretaries, big budget. Take marketing's wet dream and try to make it a real, manufacturable device. As soon as early prototypes show signs of life, get fired and spend months playing at home until the next contract". Rinse, repeat.

I did computer terminals with large boards covered with 7400 TTL chips. I did broadcast equipment; FM multiplex modulators, FM exciters, audio and video switchers and distribution amplifiers. I designed personal computers in the early "PC compatible" days. Personal projects included high quality audio amplifiers, speaker systems and other floobydust. When engineering contracts were scarce, I'd tech it - working on radio communications equipment, televisions / radios / hifi, etc. I did contract programming for a year or two, then moved to Silicon Valley and worked as a high level IT analyst for a major transportation company. For fun, I do some music composition. Some projects I remember: a solid state drive - to replace old hard drives made with unobtanium. This was done in 1975 using DRAM and a ROM state machine to control it. A serial interface card for the Apple II - used an 8253 there. Ever hear a burst of touch tones at commercial breaks in TV shows? I know where those come from and what they're for.

When that IT job ended due to me having a bad case of "over 50", I packed everything up and shipped it to the Philippines. I've been mostly taking it easy since then, but the old urge is nagging at me and I'm trying to get a working lab set up here. Some of it is unpacked, some is still in boxes - and the parts cabinets got shaken in transit and I'm going to have to go through the hundreds of drawers and sort things back out. I'm putting that one off until later. Components are very inexpensive here - if what you want is locally available.

I've seen a lot of technology go by; in my EE courses we learned how to design with vacuum tubes and did our math on slide rules. Pocket calculators, digital watches, cell phones, etc - these things came along during my career. Things I learned along the way: there's almost always more than one way to solve a problem, and your first choice probably isn't the right one. Simple is good; rather than throw the kitchen sink at a problem, solve it in a elegant way. And don't disregard older technology just because it's old. If you were to visit your local TV station's transmitter you'd find it's got vacuum tubes in it. I'll share some schematics as I find them; still unpacking the files here.

Offline Ton

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1287 on: October 30, 2013, 12:18:41 am »
Hi all
 I am a BsEE, with 10+ years doing mobile phones, and now 3 years of making medical devices, based in Denmark. hope we can have  some :-DD

Offline adoherty

« Reply #1288 on: October 30, 2013, 03:25:26 pm »
Hi, I'm Anthony, and I am from VA.

I am currently a software sales guy, but I am also a hobbyist with many interest, including fixing things instead of throwing them away. My work history includes business management, environmental engineering (masters degree), restaurant management, home construction, auto repair and electronic assembly and test. I appreciate good design and quality construction/manufacturing.

I have a small working knowledge of electronics but would like to know more and am hoping I can find and share good knowledge and advice here. Thanks.

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1289 on: November 01, 2013, 04:43:20 am »
Where in VA are you located, my guess is NOVA.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline pa4mic

« Reply #1290 on: November 01, 2013, 09:34:14 am »
Just an short post to say hello.

I'm Michael from the netherlands and electronic is an hobby for me (most part a little work). Some people will know it from the nickname i use, it's my personal hamradio call. It is one of my hobby's (have a lot) i do the most of the time.

I found eevblog in a search for test eqiupment review's and i must say i like the youtube movies a lot and it is time to join the forum. 8)

'73

Michael

Offline Alexandre Mello

« Reply #1291 on: November 01, 2013, 02:13:40 pm »
Hi, my name is Alexandre, I'm form Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and I just finished an introductory course of electronics. I discovered the EEVblog almost a year ago and joined the forum in April this year, but I have never written before because  there is so much information here that I'm reading, reading, reading, … But I think that it's just time to participate more.
My goal is to learn analog electronics in depth, especially related to audio.

Offline Kohanbash

• Regular Contributor
    • Robots for Roboticists
« Reply #1292 on: November 01, 2013, 02:33:59 pm »
Hi all

I just found the eevblog last week and now am trying to catch up with the blog videos.

I am from the USA and have a degree in EE. For the last 10 years or so I have been designing electronics and embedded systems for robots and testing them.

Cheers!
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

Tac Eht Xilef

« Reply #1293 on: November 01, 2013, 08:46:18 pm »
Hi, I'm Rod, and I'm an electronicsholic  :-DMM

Long time lurker, finally decided to register. 30-odd years as a hobbyist; 20-odd years as a comms tech on analogue & digital switching, transmission, radio, power, CAN electronics, and more (the majority of time as a 'real' technician, the last couple of years as a 'our customer technician will ...' technician); 8 years redundant; currently studying/doing something totally different  :blah:

Offline edwardcurrentclamps

• Contributor
« Reply #1294 on: November 03, 2013, 12:46:22 am »
Hi all,

never said hello! My name is Michael and for obvious reasons to you all, I like EE. Electronics has been a life long hobby and is becoming more serious now. I have two degrees in a completely different field. Couldn't stand the real world experience though and decided to study EE starting from next year.

I love physics, old Arcade games, my machining workshop which finds itself on five pallets at the moment, the Australian Outback, Photography and fixing old lab equipment!

And of course, a good, cold German beer form time to time! Weihenstephaner forever!!! :clap:

Offline ProfDecoy

« Reply #1295 on: November 03, 2013, 03:19:53 am »
Greetings to the Forums!

I've been watching the videos for at least a year (since the Old IBM Mainframe HD teardown), but haven't been checking out the forums at all.

I more or less dabble in electronics, I took it back in high school, but went into IT instead for a career and haven't done much at all for many years.  However watching Dave's videos again has re-perked my interest in trying do do a few things again.

Licensed Ham Radio operator (US General Class), did some homebrew stuff when I was younger.

Offline RandomTask

• Contributor
  • aka Sven Hoek on YouTube
« Reply #1296 on: November 03, 2013, 05:18:52 am »
Hello All!

I have been interested in electronics as a hobbyist for many years, and recently ran across Dave's EEVblog on YouTube.  Naturally, I ventured to the Forum after having heard of it from the Vblog. 

Although my formal education is in the field of accountancy, I have always been fascinated with computers and electronic items.  I look forward to learning much here, and possibly contributing to the Forum when I can provide something useful!

Cheers!

Offline johnrg

« Reply #1297 on: November 04, 2013, 03:05:57 am »
Hello everyone! 

My name is John, from the United States.  I work with a lot of radio-related electronics in my job in the Marine Corps and I'm a licensed ham operator.  I'm planning on majoring in Electrical Engineering with a focus in RF Wireless Communications when I go back to university. 

I've watched the EEV Blog videos on YouTube for quite a while, but only recently started checking out the actual site.  I hope to learn a lot from the rest of you on the forums!

Offline moepower

• Contributor
« Reply #1298 on: November 05, 2013, 06:12:09 am »
Hi all,

I'm Paul, an electrical (power) engineer by profession in Australia.  However, I'm trying to develop my electronics skills as a hobbying thing.  I've been an avid watcher of Dave's eevblog videos which has got me hooked.  I'm trying to develop my home electronics lab.  Looking forward to what I can learn.

Cheers all.

Offline Mrdjdean

« Reply #1299 on: November 06, 2013, 06:15:12 pm »
Hey,

My name is Dave, I'm a mechanical engineer looking to enhance my knowledge with electronics and develop my workshop/lab/clean(isn) room.  I have been watching the EEVBLOG youtube channel for sometime now and i am getting more and more keen on everything electrical engineering based.

See you around

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf