Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1485662 times)

Offline airiclenz

• Contributor
    • Airic Lenz
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #1025 on: April 03, 2013, 09:44:07 am »
Hello everybody,

I am mainly a software guy and photographer but started developing some systems for camera-motion-control and thus begun dealing with hardware. Arduino was my first friend and helper on the way of understanding electronics. I am currently developing my own branch of Dave's Power supply and am enjoying every new bit I learn.

I hope I will be able to contribute some of this here in this forum.

Airic

Offline mxbeanie

« Reply #1026 on: April 04, 2013, 03:03:53 pm »
Hello all,

My name is Seth Johnson from Minneapolis, Minnesota.  I work as an engineer in the biomedical field and enjoy pretty much anything with electronics.  My interest in electronics started by building tube amps and effects for electric guitar.  I love watching Dave's videos and really want him to finish his battery powered power supply project.  I want it!

-Seth

Offline Axles

« Reply #1027 on: April 04, 2013, 08:03:00 pm »
Hi,

I'm Mike (in Swansea, UK), my education is formally in human physiology, but my interest in electronics allows me make any devices I need that either don't exist yet or are too expensive for me to purchase.

Offline TheRevva

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1028 on: April 05, 2013, 06:54:45 am »
I'm a million miles (1.605 Gm?) from being an EE, but I've had more than a passing interest for the past 4 (gulp?) decades...
(In my chosen profession, I deal more with the software aspects than working on the 'iron' itself)
Absolutely LOVE the video blog.  (It was almost scary seeing Dave wandering through his vast history of EA mags.  MANY of those covers were dangerously familiar)

My next little 'design project' is likely going to be a digital ESR / Capacitance meter.

I've seen quite a few different designs,, but none of them got my 'two thumbs up' for every criteria on my wish list, so I'm going to try to 'roll my own'.
Some examples of others that didn't quite meet my criteria:
- The classic 'Bob Parker' ESR meter effectively only runs at 2kHz (8uS + 492uS), but most caps I am interested in testing have a datasheet with 100kHz.  (Admittedly, it's only a minor niggle as the 2kHz ESR would be rather close)
- The classic 'Bob Parker' ESR meter gives no indication of capacitance.  (If it did, you'd instantly recognise paralleled caps)
- Many other ESR meters  I've seen cannot be used to test 'in-circuit' as they throw out several VOLTS to the D.U.T. (risking activation of semiconductors nearby)

In my nativity, I believe it's possible to develop a meter that can measure ESR, Capacitiance AND leakage current of 'in circuit' caps.

Anyway, I'll let y'all know how I go...

Rgds, Trev

Offline DaMenaCe

« Reply #1029 on: April 05, 2013, 12:40:25 pm »
Hello every one, The Name is Dennis. i am New Jersey, United States. i am actually a ME Student but i LOVE Electronics, i dont think i want to switch my major but, i am definitely interested in learning more. I have been following Daves Videos for a while and i am finally here. i am not too sure if could any help to anyone but if i could i would love to do so. thank you.
Dennis :)

Offline majki

• Contributor
« Reply #1030 on: April 05, 2013, 09:21:25 pm »
Hello everyone,

I have been following the EEVblog for quite some time now.
The first episode what I saw was the comparison of PicKit2 and PicKit3 and I liked it very much,
so I stayed here and started to watch almost all episodes from the begining.
I catched up now, so it is the time to join to the forum.

I am from Hungary, 38, Electrical Enginer, but I actually work as a software developer.
(mobile devices, android, little ios)
Electronics is my hobby since I was 12.

My favorit field is the microcontrollers. (PIC, dsPIC and AVR family what I used.)
During the past years I built (later I designed too) quite a lot of circuits including
the major part of my lab equpment.

Radio receivers, power amplifiers, lab power supplies, function generator,
remote temp/humidity meter (rs485 and ethernet), variable frequency drive,
caller ID, digital read out, LCR/ESR meter, transistor tester,
uCurrent with my own PCB design ;-), high voltage scope probe and lot more.
So I collected quite some experience now, but my favorite episodes still the tutorials,
because they give me a lot of more knowledge.

Regards,
Majki

Offline andersml

« Reply #1031 on: April 05, 2013, 10:48:34 pm »
Hello from Denmark. Very new to all this electronic stuff.

Offline onehunglo

« Reply #1032 on: April 06, 2013, 03:42:25 am »
Hello all, been watching Dave's video for a while. Have always been interested in electronics as a kid (even had the type of kits Dave showed in one of his vids!). Didn't go into electronics (computer science instead), however its all interesting and hopefully want to be able to make neat things and buy the fun toys :)

Offline BiOzZ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1033 on: April 06, 2013, 03:56:49 am »
Hello from maryland usa!

Im Alyx (yes its spelled like that) im a programmer and electronic engineering student at UMD (collage park) but im also a photographer and 3D artist! i love mixing all my hobbies togeather and making art ^^

i started with electronics when i was really really young with a radioshack kit than it only went up from there!

started watching daves videos a few months ago and was HOOKED i have seen almost all of them and i check the main page every day!

i would love to hear more in depth specific things like components (instrumentation amps, opamps, DACs, ADCs, ePots EXC)

PM me if you are interested in my 3D work or art ... i take requests ^^

3D >

Photography >
My one regret in life is learning to speak English on the internet ...

Offline ram

« Reply #1034 on: April 06, 2013, 01:53:43 pm »
hello ,I AM RAM,I am studying at SV UNIVERSITY,TIRUPATI,INDIA

Offline Lui

• Contributor
« Reply #1035 on: April 06, 2013, 10:11:39 pm »
Hello from London. Very new to all this electronic stuff. but very much like to learn.it's fascinating!
Lui

Offline tobyrobb

• Contributor
« Reply #1036 on: April 07, 2013, 02:49:56 am »
Hi i'm Toby,

Blue Mountains Australia. Not Austria.

Electronics enthusiast.

Mostly microntrollers.

Offline microbug

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #1037 on: April 07, 2013, 01:19:01 pm »
Hi, I'm Richard. I'm a (slightly geeky) teenager and am very interested in electronics and computing / programming. I have worked quite a lot with high voltage, most recently making a high voltage flyback transformer driver that can (attached to a flyback transformer) produce 50KV sparks that go through multiple layers of electrical tape.

Offline DThodoris

« Reply #1038 on: April 07, 2013, 04:55:36 pm »
Hi Dave, hi everybody my name is Thodoris I am 32 years old and I live in Greece.I currently work as a session musician, i teach at music schools and last but not least i am an EE doing repairs in audio related equipment.EEVblog is awesome and Dave...you are THE inspiration!Thank you for all the knowledge and the enthousiasm that you share with the community  :-+

Offline blasto9000

• Contributor
  • Electromechanical
« Reply #1039 on: April 10, 2013, 04:36:53 pm »
Howdy gentlemen, new guy from Los Angeles here.  A hobbyist, not an electronics professional.

I wound up on EEVBlog while researching the Owon SDS7102 oscilloscope.  I guess it's been a while since I've shopped oscilloscopes, because I was really surprised at the $450 price tag of the Owon.  I ended up buying one to replace my 30 year old Heathkit scope (which still works and is in mint condition BTW).  Unfortunately, the Heathkit is next to useless for one-shot events... I was setting up my digital camera on a mini-tripod in front of the screen with the shutter speed set to 1 second.  Set the self-timer on the camera and when I heard the shutter open I'd hit "the button" of whatever it was I was working on to get a photo of the event.

The long exposure and persistence of the phosphor screen worked well enough together, I guess.  I was just sick of the 30-40 second process to get a capture.  Plus the Heathkit has very limited bandwidth.  The Owon is MUCH easier and more fun to use.

Now after a long day of sitting in traffic I can have some morale time in the workshop without having to cut out the lights, pull out the camera and boot up the PC.

Been reading EEVBlog for some weeks now... joined so I could bounce some questions off of you sharp fellas. ;-)

Offline rec

« Reply #1040 on: April 11, 2013, 12:03:55 am »
Greetings Electronauts --

I'm joining from Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA.  I've been making softwares for maybe 35 years and building various fiddly electronics stuff as entertainment for 25 years off and on, more on of late.  I'm a radio amateur so a lot of the stuff is radios and radio test equipment.

I've been supporting Aussies since I bought a bunch of Dontronics SIMMSticks over 10 years ago.  I first wandered onto Dave's video blog when he reviewed the iTead (or was it iSeeed?) PCB prototyping service a few years ago.

Project of the moment is making a portable version of a Softrock Ensemble RXTX transceiver from http://fivedash.com/, for which the uSupply may be promising.

-- Roger E Critchlow Jr
-- rec
-- ad5dz

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1041 on: April 11, 2013, 12:07:09 am »
Hi I am located in Texas and I joined because I like Dave's reviews and humor. I use electronics in model railroading.

I'd say this forum is a beauty!
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1042 on: April 11, 2013, 08:38:35 pm »
Hello, I’m Frank, from Frankfurt.

David’s nice videos attracted me, because ever since being a teen, I likewise had to open and disassemble every technical gadget in my reach, to see what's inside, and to learn how it works. In fact, most of it did still work afterwards.  8)
Back then, I designed electronic counters (TTL graveyards & OCXO) and digital multimeters.

In the early 80s, serving in an Air Force Cal Lab, I - once again - had to open, repair and calibrate any kind of multimeters.  I came in touch with the latest and sophisticated calibration equipment of that era from HP, Fluke, Tek, etc. Consequently, Metrology became my biggest passion.

I have studied solid state physics; focus on experimental Low Temperature Physics.  The analysis of the magnetic behavior of High Tc Superconductors by AC measurements on nV level, required thorough experiments on shielding techniques.
Amongst other devices, I designed precision DC and AC current sources for the institute, and programmed all kind of GPIB and RS232 instruments from scratch, in Pascal and Assembler.
For sure, on receipt of each new and precious piece of instrument, first of all it had to be inspected internally.  >:D

Nowadays, I work in the automotive electronics industry, in the development, as a technologist for electronic and mechanical components, and taking care of changes and long term supply.

I still collect and refurbish vintage high grade equipment, mainly HP and Fluke. For instance, the ones mentioned above, were nowadays accessible and affordable, after the end of the Cold War.

The measured level of stability in my analog lab in the basement (constant RT), is < 1ppm/yr. each for VDC (group of 4 references),  and Ohm (5 ref's). DCV Decade Transfer uncertainty is ~1ppm.
Upstairs, in my digital / time lab, I achieve Allan Variance stabilities of < 1e-11/s by a Rb clock, and  1e-12 .. 1e-13/d by Thunderbolt and Lady Heather.

Glad to meet you soon in David’s forum.

Frank
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 08:45:35 pm by Dr. Frank »

Offline drago275

« Reply #1043 on: April 11, 2013, 10:04:16 pm »
Hi all
I am Drago i am from Croatia. 
have a bachelor degree in power engineering.

AND Really enjoying this EEVblog :)

:-BROKE

Offline HVM_Electronics

« Reply #1044 on: April 12, 2013, 09:21:37 pm »
Hi everyone  :)

I’ve recently started watching the EEVBLOG YouTube channel, I am enjoying it and thought I’d get on the forum to hopefully gain more knowledge in electronics and make some new friends.

A bit about me: I have completed an Engineering GCSE, (general) Engineering B-Tec (level 3) and I’m now progressing towards a HND in General engineering (level 5).  I am heavily interested in Engineering, more specifically Electronic engineering and Technology. My current projects (at home) include a tracked robot with 1kw motors  :-DMM  per track (2 tracks total), a custom pc (Operational, yet an ongoing project), a pick and place machine with multiple rotary heads and a CNC machine.

Thanks for reading,
keep up the good work Dave :-+

Offline kb3pxr

• Contributor
« Reply #1045 on: April 14, 2013, 01:30:42 am »
Hello, my name is John and I'm from Pennsylvania in the United States of America. I'm a radio Amateur and my user ID is my callsign. I've been interested in electronics, but the amateur radio hobby really kicked it into high gear for me. I love watching the EEVblog on YouTube.

Offline Barny

• Frequent Contributor
  • I'm from Austria, not Australia ;)
« Reply #1046 on: April 14, 2013, 10:09:10 am »
Hi

I'm form Austria (not Australia).
To be exact upper Austria.

I'm an machine fitter which goof around with electronic stuff.

Sorry for my really bad English.

Offline sullyRD

• Contributor
« Reply #1047 on: April 15, 2013, 02:13:34 am »
I'm Sully from the UK its great to be finally part of Dave's forum i have watched almost all his videos he has really brought some life to the electronics world with his enthusiastic Electonics videos nice one mate.

I have had my own computer repair business for the last 15 years and have been into the electronics side about 10 years i got into the electronics side so i could repair the Mainboards rather than discard them so it saved my customers money, it has been a very worthwhile investment  and i have a great number of loyal customers.

For my Electronics diagnosis i use two Fluke 87v's as i find they are the most accurate and reliable Multimeters on the market i have a 28 year old Fluke 23 that has been a long time companion but sadly the continuity went nuts a few years ago so i was forced to invest in some 87v's which i do not regret in the least.

I not only repair computers at a software and hardware level i also repair almost anything if it has a circuit board in it because i love a challenge.

I have followed dave's blog videos since about video number 50 but have never had any reason to join the forum because i have been so busy. I have decided to take a break from work for a while which is why i decided to join the group now. ;)
To Build a Cenotaph, First Choose a Million Victims.

Offline Joules

• Contributor
  • My electronic skills are SMOKIN !!!
« Reply #1048 on: April 15, 2013, 10:26:31 pm »
I'm Joules,
               got the nickname during my electrician apprenticeship.  Re trained and worked for many years as a computer engineer for a local university.  Had a fantastic time till they outsourced repairs and offered me a management position.   Now semi retired, like to play with low power digital electronics like the Raspberry Pi and anything electro mechanical especially diesel/petrol generators.  Also an interest in renewable energies, my workshop pretty much runs off the 1kw of solar I installed some years back, its fully off grid with 4.8kw of battery storage to keep me working through the night...  Well, in the summer anyway considering this is the UK.

Offline VanitarNordic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1049 on: April 17, 2013, 09:56:05 am »
Hello to all.

I'm founder of Vanitar Nordic Company in Göteborg-Sweden.

We are deliverng PC repair, software, website design and electronic design services internationally.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf