Author Topic: New e-bay scams with fake mailings  (Read 860 times)

Offline maxwell3e10Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
New e-bay scams with fake mailings
« on: June 28, 2019, 11:17:33 pm »
Seems E-bay is now full of sellers from Hong Kong selling various technical items for about half of the typical price, sometimes less. The sellers have 50-300 positive feedback score with account opened for the last 6 month to a year. Then they suddenly list a lot of items for a good price and sell dozens of each quickly. After some time they stop selling, make their feedback private, and that is when negative feedback numbers start to shoot up. They do ship something to generate tracking information, but I think it is an empty envelope sent to a different address. Sometimes it's obvious from tracking, sometimes they pick an address in the same zip code. Then E-bay says the item has been delivered.
So far I have been burned twice, and even though I got my money back, it may not always work out this way. So if you see a good bargain from a seller which fits the above description - be aware.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: New e-bay scams with fake mailings
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 11:26:17 pm »
As the old saying goes, "If something seems too good to be true, it probably is."

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 11:34:25 pm »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 01:46:48 am »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/30V-10A-Precision-Variable-DC-Power-Supply-w-Clip-Cable-Digital-Adjustable/273877728547?hash=item3fc4627d23:g:yW4AAOSwi3xcEODY

That listing is not fake, but there was a seller listing them for $8.99 shipped.  They had a few other $50-100 items at $8.99.  They had a prior sales history of fifteen items--and all 15 left feedback!  They had sold literally hundreds of these items by the time I saw it.  I notified eBay and they appear to have taken it down.  So yes, if it is ridiculous deal, don't count on seeing it.  I'm still wondering if my $42 FeelTech FY6600s will show.  :-DD
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf