Author Topic: Neighbours children driving me mad!  (Read 33127 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Neighbours children driving me mad!
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2018, 10:35:59 pm »
Starting to be more glad I live in the UK at the moment. From this thread I gather that Australia is like Mad Max and the USA is like The Running Man. 1980s film education was valuable after all.
I'm sure everyone else is glad you live in the UK too.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2018, 11:23:05 pm »
Starting to be more glad I live in the UK at the moment. From this thread I gather that Australia is like Mad Max and the USA is like The Running Man. 1980s film education was valuable after all.

I've driven in the UK and it was not appreciably different than in the US. There were exactly the same types of drivers over there, slowpokes camping out in the fast lane, impatient twits weaving through traffic, people who hadn't discovered that little lever that activates the turn signals, tailgaters, speeders, people not paying attention, you name it. Perhaps I was hyper-aware, having to concentrate intensely to drive on the "wrong" side of the road, it's much harder than it seems like it would be.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2018, 12:48:55 am »

I've driven in the UK and it was not appreciably different than in the US. There were exactly the same types of drivers over there,

slowpokes camping out in the fast lane, impatient twits weaving through traffic, people who hadn't discovered that little lever that activates the turn signals, tailgaters, speeders, people not paying attention, you name it.

Perhaps I was hyper-aware, having to concentrate intensely to drive on the "wrong" side of the road, it's much harder than it seems like it would be.

Same deal here,

I never see these obvious traffic offenders chased with disco/trance lights and sirens pumping, pulled over and booked

Nope, speed and red light scamera combos is the way to go,
easy money and no criminals, repeat offenders, time wasting unroadworthy or stolen car checks, or any bad attitude to deal with    :clap:

To add further BS to the BS:
There are no more road registration stickers displayed on car windscreens here anymore, so who knows how many cars are driving around unregistered?
Mandatory Registration Fees are usually $800 per vehicle...money now better invested in a new smartphone or bulk discount beer slabs,
hey, who's checking, and anyone can 'forget' and say sorry and pay if caught,
or dump the car and score another one with or without rego paid up, right?      8)

This is another perfect example of more absurd decision making from the chardonnay sippers above,
playing whip wielding school principal on the battler little people that pay their bloated wages,   
their filthy backs covered by clueless compliant unpaid apologists  :palm: :palm:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 02:01:41 am by Electro Detective »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2018, 01:59:51 am »
There are no more road registration stickers displayed on car windscreens here anymore, so who knows how many cars are driving around unregistered?
... ... ...
or dump the car and score another one with rego paid up, right?      8)
:palm:

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2018, 02:06:47 am »
I never see these obvious traffic offenders chased with disco/trance lights and sirens pumping, pulled over and booked

easy money and no criminals, repeat offenders, time wasting unroadworthy or stolen car checks, or any bad attitude to deal with    :clap:

Mandatory Registration Fees are usually $800 per vehicle...money now better invested in a new smartphone or bulk discount beer slabs,
or dump the car and score another one with rego paid up, right?
Really? You just jumped from claiming automated enforcement (freeing up police time to stop people for other offences) is unwanted/undesirable and then immediately question the departure of registration stickers....
Which are redundant now that ANPR is used routinely, linked to the current registration databases, and that has been in use for years:
https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/inside-a-highway-patrol-car-the-technology-fitted-to-every-nsw-police-force-vehicle-20151111-gkwu1m.html

If you'd like to show us some figures or data that suggests police (speed or otherwise) enforcement is poorly targeted you're welcome to, but so far you're just waffling on and adding more noise.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2018, 02:57:02 am »
Incidentally you tend not to be able to talk to people with children as they think you’re criticising their parenting and go on the defence. Not much you can do. Criticising parenting should be an acceptable thing in my mind.

I learned this the hard way.  Only solution - move
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2018, 04:08:48 am »
Incidentally you tend not to be able to talk to people with children as they think you’re criticising their parenting and go on the defence. Not much you can do. Criticising parenting should be an acceptable thing in my mind.

I learned this the hard way.  Only solution - move

How about trying for the apartment above the offending neighbours....?   >:D

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2018, 05:05:55 am »
Since this is an electronics forum, we need to solve this problem electronically.  The only thing I can think of is putting sensors on the ceiling and come up with a solution using them.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2018, 05:07:22 am »

or dump the car and score another one with rego paid up, right?
Really? You just jumped from claiming automated enforcement (freeing up police time to stop people for other offences) is unwanted/undesirable and then immediately question the departure of registration stickers....
Which are redundant now that ANPR is used routinely, linked to the current registration databases, and that has been in use for years:
https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/inside-a-highway-patrol-car-the-technology-fitted-to-every-nsw-police-force-vehicle-20151111-gkwu1m.html

If you'd like to show us some figures or data that suggests police (speed or otherwise) enforcement is poorly targeted you're welcome to, but so far you're just waffling on and adding more noise.

That's your opinion and waffle, and while you're at it, let's see your figures and data to the contrary.

I base my comments on what I see go down every day, not silly public awareness marketing BS and web posted feelgood statistics pulled out from someones @rse and never contested

No one locally is checking on unregistered vehicles being driven about in a discrete manner, it's just not possible,
whereas with Expiry Date and yearly coloured rego stickers, number plates and VIN numbers it was a lot harder to get away with it,
a local constable or parking creep could spot them and report, or concerned citizen suspecting a dumped car in their street.

You don't need database access and a helicopter for that either... more wasted motorist money for the purposes of straight up revenue raising and joy rides  :clap: 

They can only catch up with the average punters in late model vehicles, not the real crims and law breakers   

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2018, 05:21:49 am »
Since this is an electronics forum, we need to solve this problem electronically.  The only thing I can think of is putting sensors on the ceiling and come up with a solution using them.

Time for all the previous electronic and non-electronic non-starters to bow down before my electronic technically feasible solution which will actually work with around 100$ of alibaba/ebay junk, or even stuff the OP may already have on hand.

Ok, since we know that noise cancellation will almost be impossible, I have the one solution you can do, though a little dirty, but, completely FAIR if done right.

Place a microphone mounted to the ceiling where the kids make their noise.  Attach it to an around 100 watt class D amplifier board + sub woofer mounter on the ceiling of where their parents are sleeping.  Now, any time the kids make noise, their parents hear it waking them up.

If the neighbors complain, tell them is a new physical mounted ceiling hardware, say a fancy long lamp or ceiling fan or something or other, which appears to pass noise from one floor's room to another as it reverberates vibrations from adjacent rooms.  Tell them the noise they hear is from their kids.

The trick here is to get the volume on the amp just right and you can now never turn it off of they might begin to question whats going on.  If you want to get sneaky about it, just start with a low volume and every other day things get noisy above you, inch up the volume slightly until the day the kids begin to be shut up by the parents just thinking their kids are getting particularly loud.  Then lock in that volume level and they will never know what you have done.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 05:25:58 am by BrianHG »

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2018, 06:18:49 am »
No one locally is checking on unregistered vehicles being driven about in a discrete manner, it's just not possible,

In WA pretty much *all* traffic police cars have multi-angle real time ANPR in them. My dad got busted less than 3 weeks after his rego expired. The officer was kind enough to explain and demonstrate the system and how it is applied. The system works, and it's far easier workload wise that manually keeping up with sticker colours or checking numbers.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2018, 06:23:03 am »
I mean Tesla coils are an option...
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2018, 08:09:59 am »

In WA pretty much *all* traffic police cars have multi-angle real time ANPR in them. My dad got busted less than 3 weeks after his rego expired. The officer was kind enough to explain and demonstrate the system and how it is applied. The system works, and it's far easier workload wise that manually keeping up with sticker colours or checking numbers.

I'd like to see it work in busy congested traffic,

with a trailer attached

plate swaps with other cars

i.e. one paid reg fits all  :clap:

The ANPR tech mentioned may be working, how well do we really know...?

but losing the stickers wasn't necessary, it's created a convenient gateway for crims and cheapasses to drive around unregistered

I'm on the other side of straya btw, things can be rough and dark here, unlike sunny spacious WA   :-+

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2018, 08:21:35 am »
Everybody has gone way off topic.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2018, 08:34:18 am »
Everybody has gone way off topic.

...but it may help OP nod off to sleep   :=\

;D

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2018, 08:47:35 am »
Look, I'm getting a lot of reports on various things on this thread. Can we agree that the whole thing is a bit off topic anyway and a ranting shop. If you can't deal with that then leave the topic alone. I think in the 5 pages it has run so far the OP has had plenty of potential solutions:

1) talk to them
2) talk to the athorities
3) piss them off by an even greater measure and hope they get the message
4) move out

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2018, 09:28:16 am »
My upstair neighbours have two kids who do nothing but run around,jump and drop their toys on the floor creating lots of noise and it's driving me crazy!

I wake up at 6:20 AM on weekends when I usually sleep till 10 after a long night because they decide it's fair to let them make a racket at that ungodly hour.

Sleep disturbance is terrible since I have to wake up and go back to sleep every damn night many times until I wake up at my usual times.

What can I do? Should I talk to them about it or can they do nothing about it? They are children after all...

I'd love to soundproof my room but I don't think vibrations from jumping/running will be blocked unlike sound.

I am living a nightmare and would like some opinions on what can be done about it.
Ask if they’ve got a rug in the kids room. If they don’t yet, a simple (thick) rug can significantly reduce the noise intrusion to the space below.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2018, 09:48:08 am »
Buy a rug.

Then roll the parent in it and put them in your car boot and take them to the nearest forest... you get the idea

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2018, 09:50:53 am »
I was thinking of a rug as well.... but a kid themed one they could put in the kids' bedroom.

No rolling involved.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2018, 10:23:21 am »
I suppose I should know by now that it is pointless to argue the fact of breaking a law is irrespective of the arguments people build around the point.  Debating (say) a specific speed limit is not something you do with your motor vehicle out on the road.  If the speed limit is 50 and you're doing 60 - that's breaking the law.  That is black and white.  If you don't like it - take it up with the traffic authority.

This is such a passive and subservient attitude it makes my eyes water.

Who makes laws?  The government.  The government (are supposed to) serve the people and the people's interests.  Thus by proxy, people make the laws.  As you are indeed a person (though you don't seem to want to stand up for yourself) YOU are or can be involved in making the laws.

There is an argument that states if a majority of people break a law, then it cannot realistically or practically be a law.

The high focus on speed enforcement has a number of facades.

1.  Firstly it detracts time, effort and budget to fixing the real problems with driving standards.
2.  It aims to simply lower the limits and increase enforcement and thus increase revenue and reduce deaths, in lieu of actually dealing with point 1.
3.  Good drivers will ignore the limits if they are unrealistic.
4.  Bad drivers will ignore the limits because they are unobservant and too stupid to obey them.
5.  Knee jerk idiot safety campaigners "Would someone please think of the children!" will ask for limits to be lowered further because some people break them by excessive amounts.*

*Recently one such group in Scotland campaigned for the statutory limit of 60mph on single lane carriageways to be lowered to 50mph, quoting several instances of people being caught doing up to 150mph.  This makes about as much logical sense as a bald cat is beautiful!
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

The following users thanked this post: tom66, tooki

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2018, 11:18:37 am »
Look, I'm getting a lot of reports on various things on this thread. Can we agree that the whole thing is a bit off topic anyway and a ranting shop. If you can't deal with that then leave the topic alone. I think in the 5 pages it has run so far the OP has had plenty of potential solutions:

1) talk to them
2) talk to the athorities
3) piss them off by an even greater measure and hope they get the message
4) move out
Two years ago, I was awoken by my neighbors, about 2 hours before I normally wake up.
Thump thump thump... Someone walking, probably he has legs made from lead and wood.
I stood it for a month, then I went to upstairs neighbor, to talk to them.
A tiny lady opens the door, she is maybe 45 kg. Oh, she notices it also, at the same time, she also wakes up to this. OK, sorry to disturb you.
I went hunting for the loud walker. You could hear him walk on 4 different floors in the building. Yes, the same walking. 7 steps up, 7 steps down. I tracked the guy down. He was living BELOW me. The guy was walking so loud, he awoke someone two floors above him. Imagine that.
But, you know, I talked to him once. OK, he will be less loud. I talked to him twice. Third time, he sent a friend, who was standing in my living room, listening to him to walk. This was like in an absurd movie.

But after a while, I had enough. You know,he is actually below me, it is an uphill fight for him. I have a sofa, it is on hard floor. I can lift it up with a hand, an let gravity to the rest. I was relentless, but I only did it when the cyberman was stomping downstairs. It was just fair. Tit for tat. He is not living there anymore.

You cannot change how people walk. It is subconscious. I wasn't raised in a barn by cows, so I don't walk loud, others do. Pick your fights well, and good luck.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2018, 12:03:46 pm »
You cannot change how people walk. It is subconscious. I wasn't raised in a barn by cows, so I don't walk loud, others do. Pick your fights well, and good luck.
I beg to differ! As a teenager, I learned to literally glide around the apartment silently at night, so as to prevent even the tiniest floorboard creak, lest an errant sound cause my stepdad’s hypersensitive wrath to be unleashed.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2018, 12:51:38 pm »
You can also break their legs, that usually changes how the walk.  Apparently it's not "the done thing" though  :-DD
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2018, 01:48:28 pm »
You can also break their legs, that usually changes how the walk.  Apparently it's not "the done thing" though  :-DD
AFAIK that is illegal in some countries.
I know from Top Gear, that sawing someone's leg off (to be able to sit in the back seats of a BMW 1 series), is illegal in the UK.

The following users thanked this post: tom66, tooki

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2018, 02:19:10 pm »
AFAIK that is illegal in some countries.
I know from Top Gear, that sawing someone's leg off (to be able to sit in the back seats of a BMW 1 series), is illegal in the UK.

It's illegal to handle salmon under suspicious circumstances in the UK. I think a dual forced amputation should be overlooked considering that oppression.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf