Author Topic: More headaches for Arduino (this time, it's personal!)  (Read 22262 times)

Offline donotdespisethesnakeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
More headaches for Arduino (this time, it's personal!)
« on: June 14, 2017, 12:11:27 pm »
https://blog.adafruit.com/2017/06/09/free-arduino-by-dalepd-freearduino-make-arduinoorg-federicomusto-arduino-makebusiness/

Poor old Arduino! Having patched up their previous problems, they are now being targeted by Adafruit and MAKE magazine to have control of Arduino taken away from them. Limor Fried, Phil Torrone and Dale Dougherty are behind this campaign, which is a surprise because they are supposedly friends of Open Source. They say they are unhappy with one of the people now running Arduino (Federico Musto) because he fibbed on his CV or something - surely that is entirely an issue for Arduino? Maybe Adafruit are just trying to get a discount on royalties?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 07:25:52 am by donotdespisethesnake »
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
Re: More headaches for Arduino
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 12:46:00 pm »
...They say they are unhappy with one of the people now running Arduino (Federico Musto) because he fibbed on his CV or something...

Lying about receiving a PhD from MIT and an MBA from New York University would seem to deserve a bit more strong of a verb than "fibbed"...

Article in Wired about Musto

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 01:08:17 pm »
It's a bit naughty and reflects poorly on his general character but, honestly, what difference does it matter what degree you did or didn't get 25 years ago? What's been done in 25 years of career since then is far more important. The sad thing is that anyone ever cares about it -- and that he thought it important enough to lie about it.

• Three year BSc from cow town Hamilton NZ, 1985, and proud of it.
  • Currently working on compilers for Exynos, GPUs, systolic processors etc at Samsung R&D Institute Rus, Moscow
  • previously worked on JavaScript at Mozilla
  • previously worked on an embedded Java compiler at Innaworks in Wellington
  • previously WeatherScape TV weather graphics, "intelligent network" telephone exchange software at eServe Global in Newlands (now part of Oracle), an H1B wage slave (well, US$120k in 2001) at some web firm in Chicago, and I can't even remember what was in the 90s and late 80s

I don't remember the last time an employer even asked about my degree, unless they later needed that for getting a visa for their  country (USA, Russia, whatever).

Credentialism sucks. What can you actually *do*?

The following users thanked this post: Richard Crowley, Red Squirrel, 3db, schmitt trigger

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 01:49:35 pm »
It's a bit naughty and reflects poorly on his general character but, honestly, what difference does it matter what degree you did or didn't get 25 years ago? What's been done in 25 years of career since then is far more important. The sad thing is that anyone ever cares about it -- and that he thought it important enough to lie about it.
Credentialism sucks. What can you actually *do*?

Oh, I totally agree with you that what a persona has done is far, far more important than what pieces of paper they might have managed to buy earn, but lying about getting a degree is both unsavory as well as stupid; it's just too easy to verify this these days.

Online madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 01:51:57 pm »
The point is that he lied. In Germany such a lie in your CV is a proper reason to get fired immediately. I don't care much about degrees either but I've already fired employees for being dishonest.

The following users thanked this post: Frank, Yansi, tooki, sokoloff

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 01:58:04 pm »
The point is that he lied. In Germany such a lie in your CV is a proper reason to get fired immediately. I don't care much about degrees either but I've already fired employees for being dishonest.

Let's assume he did lie. If an exec misbehaves, it's a matter for the Arduino shareholders. It's not a matter for Adafruit. If they think it is, it should be expressed privately to Arduino.

Adafruit have launched a campaign to take control from Arduino. Is that justified?
Bob

Online madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 02:31:27 pm »
Basically I fully agree that such things should be handled in private. But in this case it's not about the CEO of company but about the possible CEO of a foundation if I got that right. Lots of politics involved.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 02:50:26 pm »
I haven't followed this whole thing closely, but I'm a bit concerned about this:

The real reason for an Arduino Foundation is to free Arduino from Federico Musto and ensure that this open source hardware project is responsive to the community that cares about Arduino and its ecosystem.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't most people applaud the new Arduino Foundation announcement at the time?
Make didn't seem to have any comment on it at the time
http://makezine.com/2016/10/01/arduino-cc-arduino-org-reconcile-settlement-agreement-become-one-company/

Were is the evidence that "The real reason for an Arduino Foundation is to free Arduino from Federico Musto"?
Massimo embraced Federico Musto at the announcement, so it's not like he's suddenly just come along as taken control of the foundation, right?

And this:
The Arduino Foundation must:
define its mission to protect and promote the interests of the Arduino community;
determine a board of independent directors who are not chosen by Arduino Holding; are not limited to the existing Arduino team; and excludes Federico Musto.

Why specifically single out Musto? Because they don't like him?
I don't know him from a bar of soap, but if they want to exclude him then why not Massimo as well?

And the OP said:
Limor Fried, Phil Torrone and Dale Dougherty are behind this campaign, which is a surprise because they are supposedly friends of Open Source.

Where is the evidence that Adafruit are "behind this"?, it's a re-posted article by Dale Dougherty and re-published on the Adafruit Blog like tons of other stuff.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 02:54:40 pm »
Adafruit have launched a campaign to take control from Arduino. Is that justified?

They did no such thing. They simply re-posted a blog post on the Makezine website. That's what they do on their blog.

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 03:31:50 pm »

They did no such thing. They simply re-posted a blog post on the Makezine website. That's what they do on their blog.

Oh, for sure Adafruit are behind it.

https://plus.google.com/+adafruit/posts/LsPHyX86LMb

Why specifically single out Musto? Because they don't like him?

That seems to be it, Limor Fried seems to have taken a personal dislike to Federico Musto. Musto seems to have fabricated his entire academic record (degrees, MBA, PhD). I wonder if that is why he left Red Hat in unexplained circumstances?

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/arduinos-new-ceo-federico-musto-may-fabricated-academic-record/

Torrone says that one of the reasons why he went to the press with the information about Musto’s credentials was precisely that: to defend the community.

To women in the maker movement, who are often accused of being fake geeks and frequently have their expertise questioned, Musto’s apparent lies are personal affronts. “When you go to MIT, there is always this murmur that they had to lower the standards for you,” Fried says. “And after you graduate, you get asked all the time if you were actually smart enough to have earned your credentials. It’s a little bit insane that this guy has gotten this far without ever being questioned.”
(my bolding)
She seems to have taken it real personal, a vendetta even. I guess Limor would be happy to just get rid of Musto. But he owns 50% of Arduino, I don't see how that happens.

Phil Torrone is husband of Limor Fried, and an editor at Make magazine. He's supporting his spouse, bless him. They seem to have got others like Wired and Cory Doctorow involved too.  I find it remarkable though that Adafruit are trying to create a social campaign to interfere in Arduino's business, especially after they told me not to "stir up internet outrage" and criticize their (Adafruit's) business! It seems ok when Adafruit does it...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 04:13:00 pm by donotdespisethesnake »
Bob

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 03:35:02 pm »
Basically I fully agree that such things should be handled in private. But in this case it's not about the CEO of company but about the possible CEO of a foundation if I got that right. Lots of politics involved.
It's called "Arduino Foundation", but it is a private company wholly owned by the Arduino group. I still don't see how third parties think they are entitled to poke their nose in.
Bob

The following users thanked this post: 3db

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 03:50:20 pm »
Phil Torrone is husband of Limor Fried, and an editor at Make magazine. He's supporting his spouse, bless him. They seem to have got others like Wired and Cory Doctorow involved too.

Doctorow. I've enjoyed his fiction ("Down and out...", "Eastern Standard Tribe") and Disney history stuff. He does some good work on digital rights.

He's pretty reliably wrong (sometimes Not Even Wrong) on everything else :-(

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 07:32:03 pm »
The solution to not being publicly called out as a liar is eminently simple.

The risks of allowing unrepentant, serial liars to function as as business heads should be equally obvious to all.

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 07:38:49 pm »

The risks of allowing unrepentant, serial liars to function as as business heads should be equally obvious to all.

That's weird. In my experience, being an unrepentant serial liar is a prerequisite for senior executive management.

I don't like to use the term "snowflake"... but there is a lot of shit that goes on in business that is far worse than lying about credentials... you know, like ignoring repeated warnings about fire hazards.
Bob

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 07:43:01 pm »

That's weird. In my experience, being an unrepentant serial liar is a prerequisite for senior executive management.

Yes, and it's so hard to weed these people out, let's just take the victories anywhere we can get them.  I can settle for N-1 liars at the top today.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:29:25 pm by LabSpokane »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 11:00:08 pm »

Yes, and it's so hard to weed these people out, let's just take the victories anywhere we can get them.  I can settle for N-1 liars at the top today.

Whilst I agree in principle, trying to oust someone from a company they own part of (rightly or wrongly) just because you don't like them and/or they lied is not the right move.
If the Arduino foundation is being taken in a direction that is potentially bad for the community then that is a reason to act.
And that does seem to be the case:

1) The following domains are registered by and owned by Arduino AG of which Musto has the controlling share. The registrants name i Musto's and email is settlement@arduino.cc
Arduino.org
arduinofoundation.info
arduinofoundation.com
arduinofoundation.net
arduinofoundation.us

That's not right, they should be owned by the legal entity of the foundation.

2) New Arduino boards have two of Musto's companies silkscreened on the back (linino.org and Dog Hunter):

This is not a good direction and/or starting point for a new open source foundation.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 12:01:22 am »
It's called "Arduino Foundation", but it is a private company wholly owned by the Arduino group. I still don't see how third parties think they are entitled to poke their nose in.

Because it's how the "Arduino community" has evolved I guess. People feel it (and the name) should be "free" from personal/corporate interest. A major problem has always been the Trademarked name.
But ultimately someone/some group has to maintain the code which is everything.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 12:01:57 am »
Article by Evil Mad Scientist:
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2017/arduino-and-open-source-hardware/

The lack of open source files for new boards appears worrying.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 12:07:13 am by EEVblog »

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 12:25:47 am »
Here is what I think...

When Arduino.cc and Arduino.org started the fight, Adafruit (Limor) helped the more open Arduino side (Arduino.cc) by manufacturing the Arduino boards in the US for the US market.  Now that they re-grouped, I am sure Adafruit was left out and I guess they did a huge investment by buying expensive SMD pick and place and reflow ovens... and maybe also PCB manufacturing capabilities to manufacture the Arduino boards in NYC and I am sure if Musto is still behind the joined Arduino company, production is going back to Italy to Arduino.org manufacturing facilities... maybe there is a business betrayal behind this.

I think education background is not as important as work experience and ethics, but the fact that Musto lied about his education credentials, for sure he conducts business the same way.

Note: I was wrong about my assumption posted above and Phil Torrone and Dave corrected:

CORRECTION: Phil Torrone had commented directly on this and I quote:
"zero! we never had any "financial vested interest in this" - we helped arduino.cc for a limited time 2 years ago with the goal of them settling, they did. we did not purchase any equipment because of arduino.cc, they owe us no money" and "arduino was not even a significant part of our business, at all."
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 12:20:03 pm by TK »

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 12:37:13 am »
Ego, pride and money. 

Meanwhile the majority of "makers" will continue to buy their "arduinos" from China directly or indirectly, continue to download the IDE and use that, interested developers will continue to work on the IDE, third parties will continue to make new libraries, cores and hardware directed towards the IDE, and life will go on.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

The following users thanked this post: 3db

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 12:37:43 am »
I'd hate to see Arduino do vast changes like going closed source.   One thing I like about Arduino is the vast amount of online documentation.  I don't really use Arduinos for projects, I just use Atmega chips directly but still use the Arduino code base.  You will find way more results in a web search for "how to [something] with Arduino" than "AVR". Anything involving bit banging can easily be adapted mind you. But something like how to set a pin etc varies a lot.

I really do want to learn to code AVRs directly though with their own C/C++ libraries and GCC without using the Arduino IDE, but it's just hard to find tutorials, data sheets have bits and pieces of sample code, some tutorials do too, but it's the thing of bringing it all together.   So I just go the lazy route and use the Arduino libraries for everything.

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2017, 12:50:32 am »
Phil Torrone is going round stirring up trouble for Arduino where-ever he can, friendly blogs, Arduino forum, Arduino developers list, OSHWA list...

Interesting... it looks like it is going to be Arduino vs everyone else. I'm no fan of Musto, indeed I was one calling for people to boycott his organisation. At that time, Adafruit told me they were not going to take sides, told me off for trying to provoke "internet outrage", and told me that who they conduct business with is none of my concern (to be fair, that is true). Then something happened, and they changed their mind. They started to side with original Arduino.

I'll bet what "happened" is that Musto had the meeting with Adafruit, where Limor Fried realised what a dodgy character Musto was (lying about his degree at MIT). Later when Fried realised that Musto was going to be the guy in charge, and checked with MIT and NYU that his credentials were bogus, she decided that was not acceptable, and he must go.

All the stuff about who runs Arduino and the Open Source files is just a red herring, the real goal is to get rid of Musto. Maybe that would be a good thing. The problem is, they are several years too late. And I as discovered with the first Arduino fight, virtually no one cares who runs Arduino. Creating a SJW campaign around that is a no go. Since Arduino own their companies and trademarks, there is absolutely no grounds for anyone to sue Arduino, that is also a non-starter. Certainly, they will get a few blogs and people in the NY maker set to bitch about Arduino, but that's all.

Musto is not going to just step down now, the only real option would be to fork off the Arduino project, suppose it could happen. I'm sure Adafruit would he happy to run it. Never underestimate an MIT graduate scorned...

Anyway, I can't say I'm really bothered. It is just the corporates fighting over a valuable brand, again. Someone will win, no one will care.

Time to get the  :popcorn:
Bob

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 01:05:07 am »
Meanwhile the Chinese cloners keep on going, completely indifferent to all this drama.

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 01:19:02 am »
Lol, quite.

I'm looking forward to reading which side of the fence Hackaday come down on... I'll bet it is on the side of Adafruit. USA vs Italians, no contest really.
Bob

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 02:34:13 am »

Whilst I agree in principle, trying to oust someone from a company they own part of (rightly or wrongly) just because you don't like them and/or they lied is not the right move.

I make a world of distinction between merely "don't like" and proven liar.  It really comes down to whether one is the writing the checks.  Beholden and writing large checks to a proven liar is not a good place to be.

==================================================

For those who feel Limor is taking this personally, I'm sure she is.  It's hard not to. Someone freely claimed a credential for personal gain that she absolutely worked her ass off to earn properly.  A degree from MIT is a true achievement. A masters' even more so. 

For those who seem to feel MIT or similar institutions pass out degrees for a fee, I recommend submitting an application with a check for four years tuition and giving this hypothesis a whirl. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf