Author Topic: Tesla Model S, Third Fire  (Read 249487 times)

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
Re: Tesla Model S, Third Fire
« Reply #325 on: November 18, 2013, 09:42:07 pm »
The blame-america-first attitude is very popular with the left these days, many in countries that were freed by the US.

I am sure that the people of the Philippines appreciate the US military

http://swampland.time.com/2013/11/11/u-s-marines-bringing-typhoon-aid-to-philippine-shores/

Pissing on US has become a bit of an international sport. Ok , the US is not entirely without blame .

The Chinese could and perhaps they have but kept it a state secret. The UK has sent a lot of help including an aircraft carrier (which surprised me as I thought the government had sold them all off in order to do something useful like buying sub-prime mortgage stocks from US banks) :-DD

But you have to grant them : whenever there is a catastrophe : the US jump in. They immediately dispatched an aircraft carrier loaded with helicopters , food supplies, hospitals and the capability of making 200 thousand gallons of drinking water a day. The helicopters are feryying food and cisterns with water to the most needed places. 4 other ships are on their way including a massive hospital ship (The USNS Mercy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Mercy_(T-AH-19)).

What other country can do that ? NONE. Cause none even have such facilities or 'serious hardware'

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #326 on: November 18, 2013, 09:59:28 pm »
Maybe it helps to stop being proud of what your grandfathers did and look at your own accomplishments  >:D

How did you know that my 80 years old grandfather is a US Marine currently serving in the Philippines?  We are all very proud of him.

:-DD

Offline staxquad

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eye Candy
« Reply #327 on: November 19, 2013, 12:13:45 am »
The US also has many military bases in the US. So what?

The US has become imperialist and likes to wave its dick around overseas, but that just makes the rest of the world resent it.

The blame-america-first attitude is very popular with the left these days, many in countries that were freed by the US.

I am sure that the people of the Philippines appreciate the US military

http://swampland.time.com/2013/11/11/u-s-marines-bringing-typhoon-aid-to-philippine-shores/

Facade, like for  in Haiti (2010 earthquakes) and Banda Aceh (2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami).  You think you've  helped a lot, but the underlying truth is that you've exploited the place, Haiti is a slave labor country and Aceh's being exploited.

Just a little except regarding Aceh:
"The villagers claim they were tortured, raped, or murdered by soldiers from the Indonesian military. They claimed that Exxon Mobil created barracks to be used for torture of detainees and gave the Indonesian military unit which guarded the Exxon-Mobil natural gas field heavy equipment to cover mass burials after a clash with separatists.   Exxon Mobil reportedly shut down the site because of escalating violence. The villagers need to reveal their identities in order to receive Indonesian government protection, but are reluctant to do so for fear of reprisals from the Indonesian military."

"Kill every one over ten." - Gen. Jacob H. Smith.

Bottom caption: "Criminals Because They Were Born Ten Years Before We Took the Philippines"

New York Journal -- May 5, 1902.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 02:59:00 am by staxquad »
"TEPCO Fukushima you long time"
You say Vegemite, I say Yosemite. (Ve-gem-mit-tee, Yo-zey-might)  
"For starters : you're Canadian...."

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #328 on: November 19, 2013, 03:24:35 am »
Facade...

Well, if Haiti or the Philippines do not want our help, just say so.

That's what I said, the blame-america-first attitude of the left.

Offline staxquad

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eye Candy
« Reply #329 on: November 19, 2013, 03:36:32 am »
Facade...

Well, if Haiti or the Philippines do not want our help, just say so.

That's what I said, the blame-america-first attitude of the left.

The US extracts wealth from countries leaving them poor, then expects them to be grateful for handouts.  Leave them their wealth, then they won't need handouts. 

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #330 on: November 19, 2013, 04:45:04 am »
The US extracts wealth from countries leaving them poor, then expects them to be grateful for handouts.  Leave them their wealth, then they won't need handouts.

Even if they keep begging?

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/09/26/canada-prime-minister-says-wont-take-no-for-answer-if-obama-rejects-keystone-xl/

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #331 on: November 19, 2013, 05:34:29 am »
Back to Tesla. December 22 has been confirmed as the date i will take posession of my gigantic flammable battery pack on wheels and will bid the pyrotechnics of internal combustion engines and the associated black gold industry farewell.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #332 on: November 19, 2013, 05:37:22 am »
And then you will be all over CA , like a ..  like a ..??

Oh I know

Like a mobile Free Electron

Congrats

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #333 on: November 19, 2013, 05:39:05 am »
Back to Tesla. December 22 has been confirmed as the date i will take posession of my gigantic flammable battery pack on wheels and will bid the pyrotechnics of internal combustion engines and the associated black gold industry farewell.

I'm not the least bit jealous  >:(  :P

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #334 on: November 19, 2013, 06:26:23 am »
Quote from: free_electron
TEARDOWN !! TEARDOWN !! TEARDOWN !! You'll lose a LOT of "friends" if you drive it before a TEARDOWN !! You know you want to !!
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #335 on: November 19, 2013, 09:14:53 am »
nice one digsys, I had a mouthfull of coffee when I read that, unfortunate results.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #336 on: November 19, 2013, 09:24:17 am »
You will never ever be free of oil, that is unless some one invents bearings that need no lubrication, sure you could use plant oil for some things but plant oils tend to break down at high temperatures to acid compounds.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #337 on: November 19, 2013, 10:33:20 am »
Plastics and lubrication oils can be recycled; petrol and diesel cannot.

Someone already tore down part of the Tesla battery pack and the Roadster. Only some time until the Model S gets a teardown, I hope... would love to see the power electronics in that tiny 320kW motor inverter.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #338 on: November 19, 2013, 12:06:56 pm »
You will never ever be free of oil, that is unless some one invents bearings that need no lubrication, sure you could use plant oil for some things but plant oils tend to break down at high temperatures to acid compounds.
Never heard of this then:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide
Excellent stuff.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #339 on: November 19, 2013, 12:41:31 pm »
I think they should send one to Dave so he can tear it apart... I mean "Review it".

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #340 on: November 19, 2013, 01:24:57 pm »
Never heard of this then:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide
Excellent stuff.
I have used grease with that in by the barrel load over the years.

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #341 on: November 19, 2013, 03:52:18 pm »
The government is stepping in

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131119/AUTO01/311190039

The number quoted in the article are 3 fires out of 19k cars.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #342 on: November 19, 2013, 03:56:22 pm »
Tesla just released some press information related to the three fires.

In short: nothing wrong with the car ,

400 thousand petrol cars in flames , 500 drivers and passengers burned to a crisp
3 teslas in flames, not even a scratch on the humans driving em.

Tesla 1, petrol cars : minus several million... On the scorecard

Now, what are they doing
1: software update will adapt ride height at highway speed to give more ground clearance, a second software update will allow driver to control the adaptation based by speed settings.
Try that with any other car...
2: tesla requested the NTSB to do a full investigation of the accidents. If something a design defect were to be discovered tesla will alter the design for new cars and retrofit ALL existing cars for FREE.
3: they are so confident that they updated the warranty policy to include battery fires. If the car burns down you get a new one, unless you intentionally set it on fire.

In short : they are confident intheir product and they put their money where their mouth is.

In other news Volkswagen is recalling 2.6 million cars due to various problems : about a million have an overheating fuse socket (oops) ...causeing the lights to stop working...
And they also need to recall all their hybrids as the coolant used for the gearbox is corrosive and apprently causes electrical problems in the gearbox ... Oops. And another million or so regular cars suffer from the same problem. Oops ..
And 230.000 of these have fuel leaks. Even bigger oops !
And these cars have been built for 4 years, and this has only now been discovered ? Be afraid... Be very afraid...

Quote:" Volkswagen is staging a massive, worldwide recall that's already grown from 1.68 million to 2.64 million vehicles and covers three different issues across a number of vehicles. We already reported on 61,000 Tiguans getting recalled over lighting issues - that was just in the US. Globally, however, VW will be recalling 800,000 Tiguans, according to Automotive News, with the focus on CUVs built between 2008 and 2011. The issue with the Tiguan relates to a simple fuse swap, so this is rather unremarkable, aside from the sheer number of vehicles being fixed. The real, troubling issues relate to gearboxes and pickups.

239,000 Amarok pickups are being recalled over fuel leaks, while 1.6 million vehicles are being recalled to swap the synthetic oil in dual-clutch transmissions with mineral oil. Now, the transmission issue is one for the global Volkswagen Group to address, not just the VW brand - vehicles from Audi, Škoda and Seat use the same seven-speed DSG and are covered under the recall, as well.

Why the switch from synthetic to mineral oil? Apparently, using the synthetic oil in a DSG and then subjecting it to stop-and-go conditions or heavy loads in a hot and humid climate can lead to electronic malfunctions, according to a Volkswagen press release. The switch, from the sounds of it, is largely a preventative measure."
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #343 on: November 19, 2013, 03:57:55 pm »
nah the arabian countries and the owners of big oil etc will starve to death from the lubricants sales

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #344 on: November 19, 2013, 04:28:36 pm »

400 thousand petrol cars in flames , 500 drivers and passengers burned to a crisp

In the US those petrol cars average as many miles every 20 minutes as all Teslas made have ever done world wide. Minus several million for made up scorecards.....

And plenty of them are old and knackered. For cars less than 1 year old the Tesla set on fire stats probably look quite bad. When the bottom 1/3rd of the car is made from batteries that will burn when punctured it isn't so surprising.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #345 on: November 19, 2013, 04:34:47 pm »

Not yet...
Tesla does exactly what every other big company does: saying there is no problem in order to protect their share holder value. No need to parrot that. Its just empty phrases. Meanwhile the statistics say that a Tesla S has 3 times more risk of catching fire.

I smell a design flaw and you of all people should know that some design flaws only show a pattern after producing tens or hundreds of thousands of units. Hence the enormous numbers when cars need to be recalled. In most cases the cars are perfectly fine otherwise they would already have burst into flames at the car dealers.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline staxquad

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eye Candy
« Reply #346 on: November 19, 2013, 04:47:23 pm »

3 Teslas in flames, not even a scratch on the humans driving em.

Now, what are they doing
1: software update will adapt ride height at highway speed to give more ground clearance, a second software update will allow driver to control the adaptation based by speed settings.
Try that with any other car...
2: Tesla requested the NTSB to do a full investigation of the accidents. If something a design defect were to be discovered Tesla will alter the design for new cars and retrofit ALL existing cars for FREE.
3: they are so confident that they updated the warranty policy to include battery fires. If the car burns down you get a new one, unless you intentionally set it on fire.

In short : they are confident in their product and they put their money where their mouth is.

In other news Volkswagen is recalling 2.6 million cars due to various problems : about a million have an overheating fuse socket (oops) ...causing the lights to stop working...
And they also need to recall all their hybrids as the coolant used for the gearbox is corrosive and apparently causes electrical problems in the gearbox ... Oops. And another million or so regular cars suffer from the same problem. Oops ..
And 230.000 of these have fuel leaks. Even bigger oops !
And these cars have been built for 4 years, and this has only now been discovered ? Be afraid... Be very afraid...

Quote:" Volkswagen is staging a massive, worldwide recall that's already grown from 1.68 million to 2.64 million vehicles and covers three different issues across a number of vehicles. We already reported on 61,000 Tiguans getting recalled over lighting issues - that was just in the US. Globally, however, VW will be recalling 800,000 Tiguans, according to Automotive News, with the focus on CUVs built between 2008 and 2011. The issue with the Tiguan relates to a simple fuse swap, so this is rather unremarkable, aside from the sheer number of vehicles being fixed. The real, troubling issues relate to gearboxes and pickups.

239,000 Amarok pickups are being recalled over fuel leaks, while 1.6 million vehicles are being recalled to swap the synthetic oil in dual-clutch transmissions with mineral oil. Now, the transmission issue is one for the global Volkswagen Group to address, not just the VW brand - vehicles from Audi, Škoda and Seat use the same seven-speed DSG and are covered under the recall, as well.

Why the switch from synthetic to mineral oil? Apparently, using the synthetic oil in a DSG and then subjecting it to stop-and-go conditions or heavy loads in a hot and humid climate can lead to electronic malfunctions, according to a Volkswagen press release. The switch, from the sounds of it, is largely a preventative measure."

In short : they are confident in their product and they put my money where their mouth is.

fify

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #347 on: November 19, 2013, 04:53:43 pm »
@staxquad: care to explain that one ?
For starters : you're canadian....

Offline JoeyP

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #348 on: November 19, 2013, 04:56:44 pm »

Wait until there's an accident serious enough to leave the driver unconscious while the car burns. Will you still be manic about Tesla after we see their fried corpse? Things are going to change a lot on that day. We don't have enough data points to know the real safety record yet, but enjoy the sugar high while it lasts...

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #349 on: November 19, 2013, 05:01:01 pm »
accident serious enough to leave the driver unconscious while the car burns

Is that any different with a gas vehicle?  EVERY car spontaneously explodes when in an accident, don't you watch movies?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf